Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah I like the seperation of concerns two monitors gives. It's purely mental but it works so much better for me.

Oh 6800XTs started to creep below £500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Yeah I like the seperation of concerns two monitors gives. It's purely mental but it works so much better for me.

I really like using a portable monitor mounted on an arm as my secondary monitor. Smaller, unobtrusive, great for stuff like Discord or walkthroughs while I'm gaming on my main monitor.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Shipon posted:

the 12900k, i was a bit too impatient and should have waited the extra 3-4 months for the 5800x3d to come out. amd you gotta stop being so drat slow

Was the 12700k+mb for me. It's fine and worked great, but the 7800x3d is so much better.

Monstaland posted:

A590 Amiga HD, 20MB for an insane amount of money for a kid, did sent it back though after couple of days of coming to senses

drat that's too bad, the GVP A530 68030 accelerator + hd/ram sidecar I bought for my A500 was maybe my best computer purchase ever. It totally transformed the A500.

https://bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=68

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 12:25 on May 26, 2023

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

shrike82 posted:

it'd be interesting to hear the last computer part purchase that folks regretted

Accidentally bought the 5V version NF-A12x25s and only realised once I had put the case together already.

Been running them at 10-40% speed and they haven't died on me yet.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Corsair 800D. Stupid case, awful really.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

shrike82 posted:

it'd be interesting to hear the last computer part purchase that folks regretted

probably a NAS setup for me since i'm too lazy to use it

My loving ultrawide. Giant pain in the rear end that costs twice as much as a regular monitor and makes you do ongoing work to be able to use it. Never, ever again will I buy a primary monitor with a non-standard AR.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i don't regret it, but the speed-up from the nvme cache drive wasn't as huge as i thought. but it was mostly for the smaller stuff like ms of loading in browsers etc

my stereo speakers also have to be pretty load for me to hear them, perhaps because i have to orient them straight somewhat behind my monitors due to space constraints. but it still beats sitting with headphones all day

and, yeah, i haven't exactly used my switch for much

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kliras posted:

my stereo speakers also have to be pretty load for me to hear them, perhaps because i have to orient them straight somewhat behind my monitors due to space constraints. but it still beats sitting with headphones all day

A wedge speaker stand is relatively cheap, doesn't take up extra space, and may do a good bit to make your speakers easier to listen to (assuming you have them sitting on your desk): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H1D66GT/

Ideally, you want your speakers angled in such a way that their sound waves meet at a point right behind your head, at ear level. Won't make an earth shattering difference, but a noticeable one.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 26, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've been using a 34" 21:9 3440x1440 ultra since like 2018. I don't regret it per se, but I do think it'll be put into service doing something else and finally going with a fairly large, fast 4K.

I overpaid for my 3090 when Newegg was doing those forced bundle deals, so I had a smidgen of regret but in retrospect it's been a good card even if I paid too much. The power supply it was bundled with could have been worse and to be fair I needed a new one to reliably feed the 3090 anyhow.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

shrike82 posted:

Spent like $130 on a 1080p 75hz secondary monitor from MSI when you can get a Gigabyte G24F 2 for that much, should have done more research

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

$300+ on a 1660 Ti around this time last year right before prices started dropping. Ended up spending the same amount on a 6700xt 6 months later.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

3060 Ti for $315 after coupon code: https://www.newegg.com/msi-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-rtx-3060-ti-ventus-3x-8g-oc-lhr/p/N82E16814137680

That's honestly much more appealing than the $400 4060 Ti.

edit: There are some discounts on the 3060 12GB (~$280 - $290) and 3050 too ($220). The 3060 Ti is worthy of consideration while in that $300 ballpark imo, but I wouldn't bite on the others. The 3060 is too close to the 3060 Ti and the 3050 is just worse than the AMD alternatives in every way. For that matter, the 6650 XT is still $220 at Micro Center, so that's easily the best midrange deal of them all if you can get it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 26, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Arzachel posted:

Accidentally bought the 5V version NF-A12x25s and only realised once I had put the case together already.

Been running them at 10-40% speed and they haven't died on me yet.

On dc control I hope, I don't see how pwm control of those would prevent damage, and don't they hit 100% on boot?

DoctorRobert
Jan 20, 2020

shrike82 posted:

Buying an lcd to replace my last crt 13 years ago obviously!!?!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I paid scalper price (though I bought it direct from the manufacturer) for a 3070Ti when that card was released and that was a mistake

Even though they aren't making new cards, don't forget to check EVGA's B-stock store for 30 series models, they seem to have frequent sales. They had a 3060 for $269 a couple weeks ago

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 26, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Getting real sick of the crappy AMD drivers lately, so many black screens, hangups and driver reset errors that prompts an AMD bug report form.

The last stable driver that doesn't do all of this is from loving eight months ago.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Am I the only one who likes their ultra wide? It works fine in most games and it’s amazing for work

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Sweeper posted:

Am I the only one who likes their ultra wide? It works fine in most games and it’s amazing for work

No, I'm very fond of mine (3440x1440, Samsung). I'm not planning on getting a replacement yet, but when I do I imagine it will also be an ultrawide.

I also use a tiling window manager, so I have keys bound for things like "make window half screen width" and "shove window to left/right screen margin"

What i'm not interested in, though, are curved panels. I'm not trying to be immersed; I'm trying to have many documents on screen.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sweeper posted:

I like mine quite a bit. Sometimes I feel it might be too big for a shooter, when I'm frantically pixel hunting for the bush that is about to kill me, or having to track my eyes all the way to the corner for my minimap.

For desktop work it's fantastic.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sweeper posted:

I love my LG 45” ultrawide and really liked my LG 34” ultrawide I had before it.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Sweeper posted:

Joining the 'happy with the ultrawide' crew. Have had my x34p for a few years now and it's still good. Only waiting on a higher res, hdr10+, 120+ Hz model to upgrade, and it seems like it'll be a while yet before that happens.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Sweeper posted:

Went from a PG348Q to an AW3423DW, I was/am super happy with both. Just waiting for a 27" 4K QD-OLED from Dell to use on the side and I'll be set.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

We have day one patches and now day 2 apology letters.

https://twitter.com/GollumGame/status/1662124108614717448?t=LUH1GWA0f1WbADC2Ma2A3g&s=19

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sweeper posted:

I have two ultrawides stacked vertically and it’s fantastic (AW3420DW and then the OLED successor AW3423DWF).

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Every PR or marketing manager has to have a desktop folder with all the various apology letters on hand at this point.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Sweeper posted:

I've got two 3440x1440 ultra wides sitting next to each other for my workstation and love the setup for productivity. Game support has been hit or miss, with studios I would recognize as being good about it fumbling that up bad recently.

My coworkers hate it because of the weird resolutions I do screen shares with, though. Lots of people having to stick their faces close to the screen or they can't read the text on what I'm screen sharing. :v:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

dkj posted:

7900 XT

How come? That was what I was considering getting.

My regret is my 3070 lol. Too anemic for ray tracing at 1440p, already running into memory issues. But paid for with covid unemployment and stimmies so :shrug:

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

shrike82 posted:

6800XT during the pandemic. I paid... too much for it. I guess it at least doesn't have memory issues, although on the flip side it can't do any of that fun machine learning stuff.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
I bought the new Asus 240Hz OLED. I got it with the intention of using it as a second monitor just for media so I wouldn't have to worry about burn in. Most video content isn't HDR though so I don't even turn it on much :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I really like using a portable monitor mounted on an arm as my secondary monitor.
I read that as on my arm and pictured you as a real life hackerman.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Bloopsy posted:

Every PR or marketing manager has to have a desktop folder with all the various apology letters on hand at this point.

Naughty Dog posted a really funny one apologising for not announcing the Last of Us Multiplayer game yet so we’re inventing new genres of them still.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
It has been a while since I've looked into this, but how are the NVidia consumer GPUs with Virtualization? I want to set up one machine that uses an RTX 3070 for both Plex 4K streams, and also to maybe stream one game in a Windows VM over Parsec. Will it just let me do that, or do I need some hacks to have two different VMs doing stream encodes?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sweeper posted:

I'm never going back.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

buglord posted:

How come? That was what I was considering getting.

My regret is my 3070 lol. Too anemic for ray tracing at 1440p, already running into memory issues. But paid for with covid unemployment and stimmies so :shrug:

I have one and like it well enough. They sell for as little as $760, which is palatable. The launch price of $900 was completely unacceptable, and that will always taint people's perceptions. Rdna 3 is also something of a disappointment as an architecture, though not everyone's reasons are the same.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

I read that as on my arm and pictured you as a real life hackerman.

You're giving me ideas...

I was curious at one point whether I could run a portable monitor without it connected to anything, and the answer is "yes." Decent-sized power bank connected via USB-C and a Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter connected to an HDMI -> mini-HDMI dongle and a second, smaller power bank. It was a just a proof-of-concept and clunky, but it worked. Theoretically it could be wearable.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

What's a reasonable price for a lightly used ASUS TUF Radeon RX 6900 XT? I'm going to make a post in SA Mart to sell or trade it (if by chance someone has a Gigabyte 6900 XT with the smaller cooler), but looking at eBay/etc., prices are all over the place, and I'm not looking to rip a goon off, only get a fair price.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

SourKraut posted:

What's a reasonable price for a lightly used ASUS TUF Radeon RX 6900 XT? I'm going to make a post in SA Mart to sell or trade it (if by chance someone has a Gigabyte 6900 XT with the smaller cooler), but looking at eBay/etc., prices are all over the place, and I'm not looking to rip a goon off, only get a fair price.

The cheapest I saw one new was for $580, and ebay auctions seem to close at >$500. I don't think there is much in the way of new stock left.

As the buyer can be reasonably confident that this card works and that it hasn't spent the last two years in a closet mining doge coin, I think anything less than $580 is fair game; $500 is the floor, as that seems to be the cheapest on ebay. New 6950xts are $620 right now, the 4070 $600, so bear that in mind.

If you need something smaller, that is basically the party trick of the 4070.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Ultra wide lover reporting in. I had an LG 3440x1440 from 2016 to 2022 or so. It died so I replaced it with an even wider Samsung 5120x1440 screen. Gaming is good to great on it depending on the individual games support, but it exceedingly shines with office work and showing all the columns in Excel.

My only regret is more people don't have them because screen sharing and streaming from them is a mess for anyone running 1080 still, which is most office drones.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Do people actually share their whole screens? I want more control with the share, so I only share single windows. And I usually open a new browser window with only the necessary tabs and resize the window smaller than I would normally use.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saukkis posted:

Do people actually share their whole screens? I want more control with the share, so I only share single windows. And I usually open a new browser window with only the necessary tabs and resize the window smaller than I would normally use.

If you have multiple screens you just drag over what you want to present instead of fiddling with how each different meeting software handles windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Saukkis posted:

Yeah I was gonna say I only share specific windows, at which point you can just shrink it to a reasonable size

Whole monitor sharing runs the risk of getting your posting cover blown