Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Man I do not get what these jokes are in reference to, and that's just as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Mmm
Did you accidentally go into the comments on FB? The official account posted the new DWM cover with Yasmin Finney and they were already a dumpster fire about 30 seconds later.

Literally the first comments I saw on that twitter announcement for Varma's casting.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Was it Amy whose hotness almost destroyed the universe? 'Cause I don't remember any other sex workers, but I also don't remember that happening.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ikanreed posted:

Man I do not get what these jokes are in reference to, and that's just as well

Unfortunately I shall pop your safety bubble.

1. Amy Pond
2. Cassadra from The End Of The World

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LividLiquid posted:

Was it Amy whose hotness almost destroyed the universe? 'Cause I don't remember any other sex workers, but I also don't remember that happening.

It’s in one of series 6 DVD shorts, I think? Rory breaks the TARDIS because his wife is wearing a skirt that’s a little too revealing, and said breakage of the TARDIS is implied to have dire consequences if they don’t fix it pronto.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Oh, nice. Thank you. I love that short. I was just only searching my memory for episodes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51JtuEa_OPc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmiefoRcfU

This one. It's pretty funny but it is an accurate description of what happened.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 25, 2023

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Am I weirdly sheltered/out-of-date or is calling a kissogram a sex worker a teeny bit of a stretch?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Coward posted:

Am I weirdly sheltered/out-of-date or is calling a kissogram a sex worker a teeny bit of a stretch?

Her job as a "kissogram" involves owning a set of handcuffs sooooo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wtf are you talking about, she's clearly a cop

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The shorts are so good.

https://youtu.be/C8tuI38ChUI

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

It’s incredibly sanitised sexual entertainment, but it’s still sexual entertainment. As far as I’m aware, legally, at least, it’s no different from other forms of stripping or erotic dance.

Also, it’s Steven Moffat. Man can’t help but needlessly sexualise his major female characters.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

One of my favourite bits of the show.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

TinTower posted:

It’s incredibly sanitised sexual entertainment, but it’s still sexual entertainment. As far as I’m aware, legally, at least, it’s no different from other forms of stripping or erotic dance.

Also, it’s Steven Moffat. Man can’t help but needlessly sexualise his major female characters.

Oh, okay, I guess I was considering it highly sanitised. I wouldn't have thought of a lingerie model or a "booth babe" as a sex worker, but fair enough.

I was again wondering if we would hear the middle eight properly again in the televised theme music, but I heard that apparently Murray Gold hates it and can't help being unwelcomely reminded of "Do They Know It's Christmas."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Coward posted:

Oh, okay, I guess I was considering it highly sanitised. I wouldn't have thought of a lingerie model or a "booth babe" as a sex worker, but fair enough.

Eh, booth babes are probably on the other side of the line, which is so tricky to actually define that even the Supreme Court of the United States was like “yeah, we don’t have an objective test”.

But, like, I’m pretty sure the dialogue has a line like “you broke into my house; it was either the cop costume or the maid costume”, which indicates she’s probably not the type of kissogram that shows up at the office with a box of chocolates.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

TinTower posted:

Eh, booth babes are probably on the other side of the line, which is so tricky to actually define that even the Supreme Court of the United States was like “yeah, we don’t have an objective test”.

But, like, I’m pretty sure the dialogue has a line like “you broke into my house; it was either the cop costume or the maid costume”, which indicates she’s probably not the type of kissogram that shows up at the office with a box of chocolates.

I'd always thought of a kissogram as being lightly naughty, like something designed to make Steve blush in front of his work mates when the saucy woman delivers the message and gives him the kiss. So having slightly fetish outfits is part of the whole concept, and doesn't suggest anything more interactively sexual than that. Am I confused about this? From what you've said, is a kissogram normally someone just wearing ordinary clothes who shows up with a box of chocolates and then gives a kiss? Is this a cultural difference? Why am I writing so much about this? Am I a kissogram?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Coward posted:

Am I a kissogram?

You are, and you're enormously behind on your quota :toughguy:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Coward posted:

I'd always thought of a kissogram as being lightly naughty, like something designed to make Steve blush in front of his work mates when the saucy woman delivers the message and gives him the kiss. So having slightly fetish outfits is part of the whole concept, and doesn't suggest anything more interactively sexual than that. Am I confused about this? From what you've said, is a kissogram normally someone just wearing ordinary clothes who shows up with a box of chocolates and then gives a kiss? Is this a cultural difference? Why am I writing so much about this? Am I a kissogram?

I mean, there are kissograms of the "make Steve blush at work" variety, but even in 2010 they were a dying breed because, you know, just takes one person who doesn't consent to it to report you to HR.

Most likely, Amy was the type you hire from an agency for your mate's stag night, they arrive at the pub saying they need to arrest you "for being too sexy", and give you a little striptease and lapdance while your mates holler from the sidelines. The sort of harmless prank that Rory's mates did for his stag do in the pre-credits scene of Vampires. :v:

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

You are, and you're enormously behind on your quota :toughguy:

Jeez, boss, fine, I'll put on the gear and get back to the Smooch Mines. God, Androzani's gotten so much worse since we switched from spectrox.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

TinTower posted:

I mean, there are kissograms of the "make Steve blush at work" variety, but even in 2010 they were a dying breed because, you know, just takes one person who doesn't consent to it to report you to HR.

Most likely, Amy was the type you hire from an agency for your mate's stag night, they arrive at the pub saying they need to arrest you "for being too sexy", and give you a little striptease and lapdance while your mates holler from the sidelines. The sort of harmless prank that Rory's mates did for his stag do in the pre-credits scene of Vampires. :v:

But I would call that a strippogram, not a kissogram.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coward posted:

Jeez, boss, fine, I'll put on the gear and get back to the Smooch Mines. God, Androzani's gotten so much worse since we switched from spectrox.

Tag yourself, I'm Morgus' secretary. Your other choices are.... oh wait, no. Everybody else is dead. :ohdear:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Face of Evil down, only Survival to go!

Coward posted:

Am I a kissogram?

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Tag yourself, I'm Morgus' secretary. Your other choices are.... oh wait, no. Everybody else is dead. :ohdear:

Can I be the magma monster? He's so adorable!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I'm the elevator shaft. Nobody is pushing me down myself!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Face of Evil down, only Survival to go!

One of my absolute favorites.

"I hear you, Xoanon... I hear you."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Coward posted:

But I would call that a strippogram, not a kissogram.

Not hard to imagine workers finding euphemisms for their work with less judgement attached. Investors do it and what they do is absolutely depraved.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

TinTower posted:

The idea that Jinkz Monsoon – or more ridiculously, Yasmin Finney – is over-sexualising a family entertainment show is ridiculous once you realise that one of the Doctor’s recent companions was canonically a sex worker who was so hot that said attractiveness almost accidentally destroyed the universe.

In retrospect, Steven Moffat does not write female characters that well.

Wait…what??

Oh. Amy. Makes sense. Karen is probably actually hot enough to destroy the universe

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Listening to the latest 6th doctor release and it's really good! But Colin Baker sounds so old. :smith:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
He is 80 in just over a week

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Khanstant posted:

Not hard to imagine workers finding euphemisms for their work with less judgement attached. Investors do it and what they do is absolutely depraved.

I mean, sure, but thats a fair distance from "canonically a sex worker".

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Confusedslight posted:

Listening to the latest 6th doctor release and it's really good! But Colin Baker sounds so old. :smith:

Yes, but on the other hand he gets to say the words "fascist boobie".

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
He's great as always and still one of the best doctors on big finish, it just makes me a feel a little bit sad.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yes, but on the other hand he gets to say the words "fascist boobie".

True true.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I feel so weird that the Fourteenth Doctor's first adventure is a DWM comic script and he doesn't even get a hint of post-regeneration trauma. He's just like, "oh. huh. i'm this face again. huh. anyway, time to have an adventure" and I feel that's extremely jarring given how much buildup the "what. what. what!" thing got at the end of the last episode.

Is anyone even following the story? What's the deal there? Is it just 10 again, or does he have a different personality?

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

armpit_enjoyer posted:

I feel so weird that the Fourteenth Doctor's first adventure is a DWM comic script and he doesn't even get a hint of post-regeneration trauma. He's just like, "oh. huh. i'm this face again. huh. anyway, time to have an adventure" and I feel that's extremely jarring given how much buildup the "what. what. what!" thing got at the end of the last episode.

Is anyone even following the story? What's the deal there? Is it just 10 again, or does he have a different personality?

It'll probably be 10, but a little bit slower and more mature, to reflect the fact that David Tennant has aged since he left the role.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Class3KillStorm posted:

It'll probably be 10, but a little bit slower and more mature, to reflect the fact that David Tennant has aged since he left the role.

Thirteen years since he left the role full-time, and five children later, that'll age any man.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
He's the Valeyard

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

He's the Valeyard

Don't steal jobs from this guy!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Colin is The Definitive Big Finish Doctor as far as I'm concerned. I absolutely adore the BF Sixth Doctor. I'd go so far as to say he's in my top three or four Doctors ever, and he probably edges out Paul McGann even (though it's close)

The fact that he got the chance to have his interpretation bloom is up there along with McGann's 50th anniversary appearance in terms of entirely welcome and unpredictable developments. Love it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I enjoy every Doctor (wonderful, all of them!), but Colin Baker getting a chance to shine and bring the interpretation of the Doctor he always wanted into reality has been a delight.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The brilliant thing about big finishs large catalogue is that there is still so much 6th doctor content I've yet to hear! There's a good portion from around 2008ish - 2016 of sixth doctorness I haven't listened to at all and I look forward to getting to it!

We're so lucky that he decided to come back to doctor who after everything they happened during his tenure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Confusedslight posted:

The brilliant thing about big finishs large catalogue is that there is still so much 6th doctor content I've yet to hear! There's a good portion from around 2008ish - 2016 of sixth doctorness I haven't listened to at all and I look forward to getting to it!

We're so lucky that he decided to come back to doctor who after everything they happened during his tenure.

You're doubly lucky, because his run with Evelyn Smythe (Maggie Stables) is the best he has and as far as I'm concerned some of the best Who ever. Seriously, start with The Marian Conspiracy and go from there. They're an amazing team and bring out the best in each other. Wonderful stuff