Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

MikeC posted:

It has to be a goon who thinks hunchbacks are simultaneously handsome. What a weird trait mix.

Fixed that for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Don't forget Malta below Sicily and Verona (which the ducal title actually includes three county level ones). When i varangian slapped the Pope and went down that path, it was those two that took me the longest time to realize i was missing.

If not those, double check the northern dejure border counties. You may have gotten an extra one that isn't actually dejure Italia and neglected one that actually is.

Yeah it was the nortemhern dejure that I was missing. It wasn't very clear in game and I ended up finding what I needed from the wiki.

As for Iberia I moved my capital out of Spain entirely and just finished it with the foothold decision. I've got to go back and do it again anyway for the achievement.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The upcoming content seems like it's going to make it even more important to keep your health up, so breeding good genetics will remain very potent if you want a long life.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Glad they're adding in more random death events. One of those things I've often complained about is that your character is often too safe in this world. Barring murder, or death by combat, you're almost always going to make it to 60 without even doing a whole lot. I've also had moments where the computer puts my guy as commander of an army, even when he's like 75 and practically on his deathbed, and yet somehow he'll get through that war just fine, when in all reality he'd probably die within a month.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Have you heard of Enrico Dandolo?

But yeah, game should be more deadly. I find instantly cured wounds particularly strange when diseases persist when cured.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If I want to make succession happen on my terms I go on a long pilgrimage making stops at all the great sights of my realm with the smallest entourage possible: Open sea, lush jungles, the highest mountains. It's a hoot.

Bonus points, if you want to clean up succession a bit, you can have a bad heir be your caravan master to go on a grand adventure with you.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so i'm trying to claim the last county for the Duchy of Zachlumia, i have the title, and it's my primary, but it's saying I have no cassus belli against the guy with the COUNTY title, i have... no idea why that's not the case, and i even have a decent understanding of how this SHOULD work.. (or so i thought...)

i'd rather not pay the gold and waste the time fabricating a claim i shouldn't have to?

edit, nm figured it out :negative:

i don't understand why this isn't like... part of the creation of titles, that's why we have titles dipshit to make up reasons to invade, simple as, we ain't gotta ponder on it for 32 years!

smarxist fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 24, 2023

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The "complete my duchy" CB is a lifestyle pick from diplomacy, and a more generic "you are my de jure vassal" CB is from an innovation that's halfway up the tech tree iirc. ...you might have to fab the claim.

edit: with all this intruige talk, you could just marry one of their lovely sons matrilinarly into your court and push their claim, or get his daughter to do the same then stab him if the 1st male in line is a child or other woman. Heck, if the 3rd in line is a young grandson this works great too, if you don't mind doing two stabs.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 24, 2023

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I began a game in 867 as a 16 year old countess in France armed only with a nice smile and a good Intrigue score. Things were rough for the first 30 years, but through a combination of charm, perk selection and murder she died at 67 with the Duchies of Champagne and Neustria and 13 kids, one of whom is married to the King of France.

I had just completed grabbing the last county in Champagne so that she could possess all of the counties in her primary domain when she died. Really curious to see what the heir will do having been handed a stable situation with happy vassals. Blow it all up?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

sounds like a fun time to hop back into ck3.

is the new dlc necessary you reckon? its a bit dear

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Not necessary, no. It’s good though and worth getting at some point down the road.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
my first ruler died and now my realm is split amongst my 3 large duchess daughters, the war of the three sisters is about to go down lol, I love the organic storytelling that can arise in this goofy game

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Any good guides for jumping into CK3 when I got hundredths of hours in CK2? I tried the Haesteinn start and can't do an invasion because I'm not famous enough or something? There's now a skill tree?

Are any of the DLC's must have or worth getting?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'd not get the DLCs yet until you're sure you love it, the first one is good and matured but doesn't even do anything until you hit King rank.

The famous-thingies are ranks, for accumulated prestige and piety, and skill trees are ways of life formalized. Just play the tutorial maybe, I think it starts you out small enough that things make sense. Haesteinn is was easy-mode due to a bunch of bonuses he started with, but that's more useful as a boost into various powergaming gimmicks rather than an introduction to mechanics. Ye Olde Ireland in the later start date is perfectly good at letting you gently snowball while you mentally juggle all the tooltips.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I really want the last county in my second duchy but the liege has a bigger army and is nicknamed "The Impaler."

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Well, maybe he has a bigger army, but that doesn't mean his heir will. Or you could get allies if you prefer that to murder for some reason. e: though I misread that as him being your liege, if he isn't that does make stabbing him more difficult.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dick Trauma posted:

I really want the last county in my second duchy but the liege has a bigger army and is nicknamed "The Impaler."

It's probably just an ironic nickname I wouldn't worry about it

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's what all the ladies call him.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Ouch, gently caress, Elevating the Isle of Mann now doesn't do much of anything, as you now have no slots to build in. Oops.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Man, I don't know what the gently caress happened but i'm so salty. I had a pretty decent sized duchy next to me i could absorb with my once in a life time war of subjugation, like it was a perfect storm, his military was depleted, he had one ally left, and i made a truce with them, and i had double his soldiers with only 1 ally called in, so it was a dice roll but a safe one

then as soon as i spend my 500 prestige to lock it in, the entire landscape changed and an even bigger kingdom absorbed that one and suddenly i had a war against a kingdom twice my size with twice as many troops, so i just had to insta surrender and eat it

i have no idea what happened, is there an event/history log? i think the fucker smelled me looking at the war of subjugation button and swore fealty to another liege? ugh. :negative:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
There's a title history for each title, but that wouldn't help with someone becoming a vassal. However I'm pretty sure you can't swear fealty while at war—more likely he was already at war with the king and surrendered. e: there's also the memories feature for each character, that might help.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

How is this game depth and feature wise now compared to CK2? I never buy Paradox games when they come out because they usually get good once some DLC comes out and it's almost been 3 years for this one.

I love CK2 but I'm pretty burnt out on it.

Edit: Really wondering more how it compares playing a Christian feudal duke in the the HRE or anywhere in western Europe, the core game. If it dosen't have Zoroastrians or in depth interactions with China thats ok.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 26, 2023

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

gurragadon posted:

How is this game depth and feature wise now compared to CK2? I never buy Paradox games when they come out because they usually get good once some DLC comes out and it's almost been 3 years for this one.

I love CK2 but I'm pretty burnt out on it.

Its still behind CK2 in different types of government and regional flavor

In everything else is way ahead, imo

edit: for playing a feudal christian (or a tribal norse), its already a better experience than CK2. I guess its only missing the conclave council

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 26, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The character/roleplaying aspects are greatly improved, but I think literally everything else is worse. You can reform any religion but it's fairly empty. Ditto culture. Tech is a disaster. Warfare is infinitely worse. But as the game focuses more on like the sims but occasionally you call the banners, it gets all of that stuff right.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Afaik there's only 2 major bits of dlc, I haven't played the new one but the last one didn't really change that much for me.

Tbf I have heard the most recent update and dlc makes things more fun

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I do agree the tech system is worst, but everything else about culture is better.

Reform religion is about the same it was in CK2

And warfare is just as bad, now that it aint so easy to have superhuman MaA

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Thanks for the answers, seems like it is worth giving it a try. Does Paradox have the monthly DLC subscription for CK3?

Im pretty suprised they took out the council though, I am always dealing with them in CK2. And warfare is kind of meh for me in CK2 as well so that's not a huge deal. Is it all just attrition like in CK2?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

My second character is nearing the end. Decided to be happy with his fragmented reign, try to snag a county hear and there. The Pope kept throwing pressed claims at me but they're too far away to bother with. My heir is sort of worthless but is at 100 opinion with me so I leave him alone.

Then one of my brothers (who has one a dukedom) murders my second son. His army and allies are too powerful for me so I decide to bide my time. A few years later my brother loses an ally but I gain one and then I decide to press my claim on his duchy. I win handily and then he does me the favor of dying from alcoholism.

I figured that that's the end of the drama for this character, and I'm already thinking about how I'll keep his heir from ruining everything when he inherits. And then my heir tries to murder my wife.

Well... can't let that slide. I try to imprison him knowing that he'll fight it, and when he does I crush him. He's in my dungeon now. The new heir is my character's underage grandson so if he has to take over soon it's going to be messy. I'm not sure what to do with my heir. Disinheriting, revoking, execution... lots of downsides, but I don't want him to be next in line.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Though it's worth noting that with mods you can literally turn the battles into total war or mount and blade which might improve things for you.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

Though it's worth noting that with mods you can literally turn the battles into total war or mount and blade which might improve things for you.

CK2 or CK3? I know CK2 has a mod scene, is the CK3 one active too?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

gurragadon posted:

CK2 or CK3? I know CK2 has a mod scene, is the CK3 one active too?

CK3 literally has steam workshop support and can do so much more than CK2. I've played fishing minigames and Darkest Dungeon style dungeon crawling. Mods that export battles to Total War Atilla or Mount and Blade Bannerlord. That's not even mentioning the incredible new Game of Thrones or Elder Scrolls mods, and I haven't even touched the Warcraft or LotR ones. Pretty great last days of Rome mods, Sengoku era Japan, and a lot more.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Well, that's pretty awesome, looks like there is plenty in this game to keep me occupied. Darkest Dungeon tie in sounds like a good way to kill off your dynasty though if its anything as hard as the original.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

On a different perspective, I think the warfare in CK3 is miles better than whatever CK2 was trying to do. I like men-at-arms and the stationing system is pretty good. Knight accolades are still a bit fiddly but I like them in general. I really can't think of any system I prefer in CK2; the only real thing CK2 has going for it right now I think is more regional flavor.

I admit I'm a big fan of all the customization options CK3 offers though. The mere fact that you can customize ANY religion in CK3, as opposed to just pagan faiths, and aren't required to wait hundreds of years to push for gender equality make it a slam dunk for me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

From my perspective, CK3 doesn't have some of the features of CK2, but overall is a much better experience.

I started playing CK2 in the private closed beta. I wasn't super excited about it early on, but started playing it a lot more with the release of Sword of Islam a few months after CK2 launch. Between the beta and released game, I played CK2 for a little over 1300 hours.

With CK3 I didn't join the beta, but I'm at an almost identical 1400 hours post-release. Even with the limited governments and things like no Sunset Invasion, the interface alone makes it so much better to play. I haven't played CK2 since 2020, because CK3 is just better.

The new patch does have a number of bugs, but nothing too game breaking. Artifacts, Champions, and MaA are now significantly more powerful than they were in the past, but at least that applies to everyone, even if the player will always be more minmax about it.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I still prefer the way CK2 handled tech

It had more granularity and was tied to the nation, I dont think it was a good idea to tie it to culture like in CK3

And also you would not research all tech to the max 200 years before the time limit

On warfare, it got better on Ck3 with the last update, but Im still on the fence. I dont like levies being so weak and all the same, for once

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Lifestyle perks are the big thing CK3 has vs 2. I do think wars are worse, but neither game makes much sense. I get why, from a gameplay perspective, but it's pretty obnoxious seeing 2000 guys slaughter 10000 or whatever. Just ridiculously overtuned, even now. Numbers generally mean far less than they should. They're thinking about it the wrong way.

These lopsided battles aren't really a thing. Sure, Agincourt happened, but it wasn't exactly the armored Men-at-arms and nobility that carried the field.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think I dont know how to use MaA anymore than cause in my current game, first with the new system, Im using heavy infantry like I always did and they are all stationed and still Im getting my rear end kicked a lot, sometimes to inferior numbers

edit: also I started on 860 and theres so few building slots now that I used most on income stuff, so thats probably why

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 26, 2023

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The numbers in CK3 certainly need some balance tweaks, but I like the underlying systems a lot more. Sure, slaughtering armies of 10,000 units with 2000 men-at-arms and elite knights might be unbalanced, but it does contribute to the feeling of decisions regarding army composition (from innovations to actual regiment composition to buildings and stationing) mattering. That's the feeling that I need--I made a decision, I had a plan and enacted it, and it made a real, obvious, measurable difference.

I don't want to just have to roll over because I have 8000 troops and the enemy has 12,000.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think I dont know how to use MaA anymore than cause in my current game, first with the new system, Im using heavy infantry like I always did and they are all stationed and still Im getting my rear end kicked a lot, sometimes to inferior numbers

edit: also I started on 860 and theres so few building slots now that I used most on income stuff, so thats probably why

Super MaA stacks are definitely still a thing, but I can't personally speak for the vanilla heavy infantry regiments. In my current game I pushed for a hybridization of Egypt and Nubian cultures early on, which gave me access to Mubarizun. Those things carry hard with some barracks, armories, and a HI regiment-size increasing accolade. I imagine it's even more gross with Varangian Veterans.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Early game armies run a ton of skirmishers (light footmen) which counter heavy infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Elias_Maluco posted:

TLDR CK3 war guide. In order of priority.

-Become or recruit high martial stat individuals to lead your army. Having a higher martial skill vs your opponent means you get an army wide damage multiplier.
-max out your Knight/Champion/whatever slots and recruit high prowess individuals. These units take very little damage due to the way damage calculation works but high prowess (20+) Knights can churn through hundreds or thousands of levies and will make up a significant portion of the damage dealt even if there only 20 of them in a 5k stack.
-Recruit only the best MaA by Damage and Toughness (HP) score. If a tie exists, pick the higher damage unit and max out the unit size before starting a 2nd unit. With the patch introducing stationing of MAA and eliminating building based global bonuses, you want to commit the fewest counties to the military buildings. Heavy Infantry is the safest choice in any culture with virtually no terrain based penalties. Do not worry about counters. The combat system as of TnT means that it is effectively irrelevant if you only recruit the best MAA.

Shortlist of best MAAs :

Varagian Veterans - Ridiculously high base dmg/HP scores so they scale the best with buildings. Bonuses include countering the other Uber MAA which is Heavy Cav.

If you can't get VVs due to wrong culture then Huscarls or Armored Footman make decent alternatives but aren't nearly as busted. Non white cultures usually have some equivalent to these units that are Heavy Inf.

Horse Archers and Heavy Cav are very good and War Elephants are broken as well. Everything else is trash. If you can't afford these expensive bad boys archer units are your next best bet due to high base attack that scales well with buildings.

- Levy size is the least important factor are mainly there to act as damage sponges to protect your MAAs if they have low toughness scores due to being unstationed or low tech. Levies grow increasingly irrelevant as the game goes on since MAAs scale through buildings but levies do not.

By 1100 (High middle age) tech and bonus stacking means that you don't even really need to take levy size at all into consideration. Good MAAs will kill or route thousands upon thousands of levies while taking maybe a dozen casualties.