Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Average Lettuce posted:

Day 13: lmao at all the hype for the Terunofuji vs Asanoyama match and in the end it all seemed so simple for Teru. Kinda weird that we will have Teru vs Kiri tomorrow, are they expecting Teru to fight Takakeisho on the last day?

That was probably the most brutal kotenage I've ever seen. It wasn't particularly dangerous - Teru wasn't levering Asanoyama's ulna out of joint - but for pure kinetic strength it was incredible. Just threw him laterally by the shoulder. I hope Asanoyama's shoulder feels okay tomorrow, because his pride sure won't.

Also, thank you Tamawashi for being gentle with an obviously-doing-his-best Papayasu. And cheers to Chiyoshoma and Takakeisho for a pair of lovely henka-adjacent matches. Overall a lot of good sumo on display today.

Lucasar posted:

Quoting myself for no reason at all.

Best part was he tried it once and failed, but timed the second sotogake perfectly when Hokuseiho was paying more attention to getting an arm inside than what was going on downstairs. Really good wrestling sense by Kiri. He's obviously ready for Ozeki; I hope he handles the pressure better than Mitake and Shodai did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Average Lettuce posted:

Day 13: lmao at all the hype for the Terunofuji vs Asanoyama match and in the end it all seemed so simple for Teru. Kinda weird that we will have Teru vs Kiri tomorrow, are they expecting Teru to fight Takakeisho on the last day?

Terunofuji really seems to have Asanoyama number, 6 fights 6 wins.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

bessantj posted:

Terunofuji really seems to have Asanoyama number, 6 fights 6 wins.

He seems to have everyone's number, no losses do Hoshoryu and Kiribayama either.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

One of my favorite sumo facts is that Terunofuji has had two successful ozeki pushes while having only spent five bashos competing in the lower sanyaku. Every basho he ever competed in as a komusubi or a sekiwake was part of a successful ozeki run. Not only that, every one of those five bashos was either a yusho or a jun-yusho.

Terunofuji is really good at sumo and it's a shame that his career has been so badly affected by injuries.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Khizan posted:

One of my favorite sumo facts is that Terunofuji has had two successful ozeki pushes while having only spent five bashos competing in the lower sanyaku. Every basho he ever competed in as a komusubi or a sekiwake was part of a successful ozeki run. Not only that, every one of those five bashos was either a yusho or a jun-yusho.

Terunofuji is really good at sumo and it's a shame that his career has been so badly affected by injuries.

Terunofuji going from Ozeki to terrible injury to returning to Ozeki was one of the most impressive things I've seen in sports.

Then he added reaching Yokozuna and being dominant there when healthy to it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I do wish that Terunofuji relied less on Kimedashi. Its super effective but I don't like seeing how close the other rikishi always look to severe injury.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

I do wish that Terunofuji relied less on Kimedashi. Its super effective but I don't like seeing how close the other rikishi always look to severe injury.

it takes a lot of shine off of him in the sense that 50% of his wins translates to 'physically massive', but i don't think i'll ever get hak's 'yokozuna sumo is winning sumo' entirely out of my head.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

bartolimu posted:

Best part was he tried it once and failed, but timed the second sotogake perfectly when Hokuseiho was paying more attention to getting an arm inside than what was going on downstairs. Really good wrestling sense by Kiri. He's obviously ready for Ozeki; I hope he handles the pressure better than Mitake and Shodai did.

Speaking of

Mitakeumi got his first kk in a year today :gbsmith:

Also it was fun to watch Hokuseiho's arms flail as he went over with a big splat. He and Kinbozan have a ton of potential and just need some experience/polish.

Also also I think this actually happened yesterday, but Oho staved off demotion to juryo. I think he's in a good position to get a decent record this basho

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Lucasar posted:

Kintamayama currently lurks about as "Mord Dresner" on youtube as well if your time is more limited.

thank you i've been using rumble and i'd rather not if i can help it

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Well my concern about Asanoyama not getting a hard enough set of matchups looks good and settled. I'm rooting for Kiribayama to win out and go into Ozeki on the highest note.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Brut posted:

What's the highest rank someone's made their makuuchi debut at? Gonoyama's gonna have to be placed real high since this score of his is coming from J1e. Bright future for Goeido's student.
don't have an answer for this (sorry), but wanted to segue into the imo cool fact that Gonoyama and Shounnanoumi were born literally a day apart (4/7/98 vs 4/8/98) and are both going to make their Makuuchi debuts in the same basho after exemplifying the amateur champ vs started-at-the-bottom-now-we're-here career paths

vs

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
double post, but so long as the current natto channel is up, check out chiyonokatsu vs kairyu - two middle-aged, mid-ranking, 3-3 makushita going at it absolute hammer and tongs for a kachkoshi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-6_FoKdQ8&t=831s

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 14: Main event was worth it and then some.

Keisho, please take Day 15 off. You're clearly hurt and there's nothing to be gained now that you have your kk.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Terunofuji going from Ozeki to terrible injury to returning to Ozeki was one of the most impressive things I've seen in sports.

Then he added reaching Yokozuna and being dominant there when healthy to it.

I feel genuinely bad (well, as bad as you can for someone who ends up Yokozuna) for whoever gets the rope next. They're never going to live up to the standard Terunofuji/Hakuho set, and so history will always just sorta remember them as the next guy who was good but not great.

Also agreed that this entire basho has just been really good. Cinderella stories early, getting to see some of the young talent develop (Hokuseiho in particular has been fun to see just quietly Be Big his way to victory), and seeing all the hard work the sekiwake have been putting in finally paying off has just been wonderful.

Also the matchmaking gods having mercy and letting Hiradoumi get his KK finally was nice to see, I was legit worried he was going to get snuffed because they fed him to so much high-end competition.

wodin fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 27, 2023

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Pouring one out for Meisei who has looked absolutely heartbroken on his losing streak, respect to Tsurugisho though for trying his best to bring it in the uncharted waters of a yusho race. Great Basho so far altogether.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ura got loving robbed. I declare Kanly against kotonowaka.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Apraxin posted:

double post, but so long as the current natto channel is up, check out chiyonokatsu vs kairyu - two middle-aged, mid-ranking, 3-3 makushita going at it absolute hammer and tongs for a kachkoshi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-6_FoKdQ8&t=831s

Kairyu is my favourite Makushita lifer. He's been in Makushita for a decade, most of it in the top half and just will never make Juryo because despite being spirited and skillful he can just never get it over the line when it counts.

Also re Day 14:

Lucasar posted:

I want people to start attacking Hokuseiho's legs with sotogake

Quoting myself again for no reason at all.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

It's nice to see Kiribayama going into Ozeki off the back of some excellent results.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Yeah I didn't understand this one at all...

I think Hoshoryu and WMH are going to be in very good position to wind up at 33 by the end of July.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

torinaoshi would've been fair but just to reverse it is bullshit

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IIRC, the reasoning was the loser "jumped" out of the ring and was in an entirely unrecoverable position to get back inside, so they considered him a dead body.

I'd have been down for a rematch though.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Bentai posted:

IIRC, the reasoning was the loser "jumped" out of the ring and was in an entirely unrecoverable position to get back inside, so they considered him a dead body.

I'd have been down for a rematch though.

Yep, I was confused at first because it went fast but the slo-mo replay showed Ura jumping out which called for dead body judgement. I get the call.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Kotonowaka was in an unrecoverable fall before Ura jumped though. URA GOT ROBBED

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The dead body rule seems to only exist to create hosed up rulings

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I'm more sad that they had Teru vs. Kiribayama today instead of on day 15. I think that would have created more drama if both won today.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

We are heading into the last day and the tournament is basically sorted itself out. There are still 6 rikishi who are looking to see which side of the scale they fall on, of which 4 will be fighting head to head.

I haven't been able to find anything about special prizes, though I feel that might be because they won't be contingent on wins today.

Day 14 Standings:
code:
53	Thauros
52	bessantj
50	Khizan
49.5	Samuel L Hacksaw
49	anakha
48	Average Lettuce
48	Gaghskull
47.5	Akiosan
46	Crusty Nutsack
46	Fearless
46	Saturnine Aberrance
46	Tiny Bug Child
45.5	Chinook
45	Bentai
45	Charles Gnarwin
45	whats for dinner
44.5	Mode 7
44.5	MyChemicalImbalance
44	Helianthus Annuus
42	pseudodragon
41.5	Banana Canada
41.5	Eli949
41.5	Lid
41	NTRabbit
40.5	Dead Goon
39.5	Single Tight Female
38	bartolimu
38	QuasiQuack
36.5	Ice Phisherman
36	oldskool
32	Pakled
29.5	Xerzes
27.5	Beexoffel
I'll post one more update with a short Hanazumo wrap up tomorrow, we still have what should be some exciting matchups waiting for us in a few short hours.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I wonder how strong Takakeisho's harite actually is. His arms look so short and his hands relatively small (lol I checked my tegata on my wall before typing this) that it doesn't seem like they'd have the same kind of power as other guys.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Win or lose, taco queso knows how to throw those hands.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I think I should be at 47, not 49. Let me check.

E: disregard. I can't math right LOL

anakha fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 28, 2023

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Shiroc posted:

I wonder how strong Takakeisho's harite actually is. His arms look so short and his hands relatively small (lol I checked my tegata on my wall before typing this) that it doesn't seem like they'd have the same kind of power as other guys.

He also parries guys pretty effectively with what is effectively the same motion; I remember when he was an up-and-comer he had that signature start-and-stop oshi attack and then would just switch to a right hand slap across the space guys expected him to be in and guys would fall for it and get batted to the side.

Takakeisho is a great example of how you can overachieve in sumo by understanding what your body will do better than other peoples' and just sticking to it. It always frustrates me when I see a guy using sumo that doesn't suit their physical attributes. Kagayaki springs to mind. He has basically the same approach to sumo as Mitakeumi despite having none of the physical attributes that make it work for Mitakeumi. And so he sucks.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Highlight of the night!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I'm glad to see my reasonable start to the basho has slowly faded away to mediocrity.

As is my brand.

And because it hasn't been mentioned, and I don't know why

SHODAI

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Robviously posted:

I haven't been able to find anything about special prizes, though I feel that might be because they won't be contingent on wins today.

Meisei receives the shukun-sho (Outstanding performance award)
Kiribayama and Wakamotoharu receives the gino-sho (technique award)
No Kanto sho (fighting spirit) awarded

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Ochiai has been given a new shikona, Hakuoho.

Written like 伯桜鵬 (はくおうほう).

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Top points earners by rikishi for May 2023:

Terunofuji: 20 (14 wins, 5 yusho, 1 KK)
Asanoyama: 16 (12 wins, 3 jun-yusho, 1 KK)
Wakamotoharu: 14 (10 wins, 3 sansho, 1 KK)
Meisei: 14 (8 wins, 3 sansho, 2 kinboshi, 1 KK)
Hoshoryu: 12 (11 wins, 1 KK)
Oho: 12 (11 wins, 1 KK)

Anyone who took Meisei in their M6-M10 pick did well, same with Asanoyama or Oho in their M11-M17 pick.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Bentai posted:

I hope he is promoted with Gonoyama. There seems to be the start of a rivalry there, at the moment it's pretty one sided with Gonyama winning all three of their matches and his playoff win was really dominant. Be interesting if they meet up again in Makuuchi next basho will Ochiai/Hakuoho be able to get a measure of revenge.

Though Teru was very good against Takakeisho. Clamped him quick then ushered him into the stands like he was a confused old man who forgot where his seating was.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 28, 2023

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

Well that's... something to be saddled with for sure

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Beeswax posted:

Well that's... something to be saddled with for sure
Hakuho-Prime mentioned he wanted to give him that shikona some months ago, I figured he was joking. Good luck Hak, Jr.!

*edit*
https://www.sanspo.com/article/20230528-SWKELPVIKNPEPHU7FPIBPUVW44/
Sanspo seems certain that Ochiai/Hakuoho might have sealed a promotion to Makuuchi.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 28, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Race to 33 for the other current sekiwake:

Hoshoryu and WMH would need 12, Daiesho needs 11.

Should make for an interesting July!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Bentai posted:

Somehow, this seems much harder to pronounce than Hakuho lol