Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

"All the persona games, 3,4,5" gives me such a deep sense of melancholy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly P3 is still very good despite aging, I know there's a lot of common complaints about how the gameplay has aged, but I think the only really bad parts of that are the lack of role compression in party members as well as the high price of the compendium.

Tartarus bosses continue to have difficulty throughout the game, which can be a pleasant switch compared to how bosses just become very easy in P4 and P5 after a few dungeons.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Compendium taking so long to unlock in the first place isn't great either. And old-style shuffle fusion. And Baton Pass made random encounters so much less limited by the protagonist's SP totals.

I'm one of the weirdos who hopes that a remake keeps the original's party AI even if they allow manual control though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I hope they make it so Akihiko isn't far and away the best party member in a remake, he just has too much to do and not enough SP for it.

Wonder if that's why they've never made a debuff-focused party member since; you'll get the odd party member that can learn one, but never the full suite like Akihiko does and the only one that you'll probably get regular use out of is Ann's Tarunda.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think they ever made another Aigis either, with the way buffs and debuffs work in modern Persona a single party member with all 3 of either can't do anything else, which means that in a party of four, half is devoted exclusively to (de)buffing and can do nothing else, not attacking or healing. IMO it's way better to spread the buffs around and leave debuffing to the protagonist if it needs to be done. Really the only debuff worth using in nu-Persona is Debilitate anyways most of the time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Commander Keene posted:

I don't think they ever made another Aigis either, with the way buffs and debuffs work in modern Persona a single party member with all 3 of either can't do anything else, which means that in a party of four, half is devoted exclusively to (de)buffing and can do nothing else, not attacking or healing.

Teddie has all three buffs in P4. It's just easier to spread them out in P4, especially since Kanji has the most useful one (Matarukaja).

You can spread all three buffs in P3 too, but that leaves MC to do the healing since a team of Koro/Aigis/Junpei has... issues.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 23, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Randallteal posted:

For me the thing that stands out about 4 is it has the best sense of place. Tatsumi Port Island is really generic. There are a few cool locations in Tokyo like the neighborhood around Leblanc and the concrete fishing pier, but it's mostly just plain looking shopping areas and stores. Inaba is packed with great little visual details. I think it would be cool to have a diorama of the shopping area.

4 generally has the best "doing stuff around town" vibe IMO. This is due to a mix of the music and the actual area itself.

The night segments (and accompanying music) added in Golden are also really nice.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly P3 is still very good despite aging, I know there's a lot of common complaints about how the gameplay has aged, but I think the only really bad parts of that are the lack of role compression in party members as well as the high price of the compendium.

Tartarus bosses continue to have difficulty throughout the game, which can be a pleasant switch compared to how bosses just become very easy in P4 and P5 after a few dungeons.

Yeah; I find that each successive Persona game from 3-5 seems to get progressively easier in their late games. They just give you more ways to become overpowered, with the situation becoming exceptionally dire in P5R with the Persona traits that let you instantly fully buff your entire party.

I think it's partly due to an inherent weakness to their battle system.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In defense of Tokyo in P5, I kinda like that a lot of it feels samey and overwhelming with just how many faceless people are running around it. It drives home that it's really the opposite for Joker of what Inaba was for Yu: isolating and impersonal instead of isolated and personal. It makes the little cozy pieces of the city you do manage to seize on as your own and become comfortable in: Leblanc, the Jazz Club, etc feel that much more meaningful: despite being dumped in a huge city with no connections to it or the people living there, you still manage to eek out some personal haunts where you feel safe and welcome.

Inaba certainly nails the nostalgic town vibe perfectly though, and there's a lot more personal character to the more underground elements of the town that you come to learn about. Finding out the lady who runs the general store by day turns it into a an extremely chill hostess bar and then working some shifts there feels way more personal than stumbling on Crossroads and working some shifts there in P5 as an example.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Even the part time work you can do differs. In P4 you're a caretaker, a janitor, or a personalized tutor, vs being a faceless employee at a convenience store, flower shop, or ramen bar in P5.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Even the part time work you can do differs. In P4 you're a caretaker, a janitor, or a personalized tutor, vs being a faceless employee at a convenience store, flower shop, or ramen bar in P5.

I'll give you the child caretaker and the tutor, but a janitor is more faceless and invisible than the P5 jobs.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
In Persona 4 I wasted so much time not realizing some of the side jobs were also social links and I ended up not getting them started until November.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

In Persona 4 I wasted so much time not realizing some of the side jobs were also social links and I ended up not getting them started until November.

It's a bit cruel that you need to do a few levels of the nurse's social link to even be able to unlock Hisano's link. The introduction of this grown-rear end woman creeping on a minor has to be very off-putting to someone playing blind (and not used to Modern Persona's... oddities) that they'd probably want to avoid hanging out with the nurse if at all possible.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Strangely that social link is the one that doesn't turn into an weird child/adult relationship.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hisano is a neat Link

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

amigolupus posted:

It's a bit cruel that you need to do a few levels of the nurse's social link to even be able to unlock Hisano's link. The introduction of this grown-rear end woman creeping on a minor has to be very off-putting to someone playing blind (and not used to Modern Persona's... oddities) that they'd probably want to avoid hanging out with the nurse if at all possible.

At least in P3, Kenji (one of the worst SLs) blocked Nozomi (also one of the worst SLs), so nothing of value is lost.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Gaius Marius posted:

"All the persona games, 3,4,5" gives me such a deep sense of melancholy.

My partner is on the same wavelength as you, they're a big P2 stan and are constantly decrying P1 and P2 erasure.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I think the golden stuff made the P4 story a lot more convoluted than it needed to be. It goes from Adachi is a dick to well actually it's Marie's alter ego that made this world with the other persona you killed to now actually it's Marie's alter ego that is actually their own person that caused Marie's thing that caused Adachis thing and it was like Jesus, where is Spartacus?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think the golden stuff made the P4 story a lot more convoluted than it needed to be. It goes from Adachi is a dick to well actually it's Marie's alter ego that made this world with the other persona you killed to now actually it's Marie's alter ego that is actually their own person that caused Marie's thing that caused Adachis thing and it was like Jesus, where is Spartacus?

The Gas Station Attendant being actually behind it the whole time isn't a Golden addition though, that was in the original game. The only thing Golden did was add Marie and make her the not-lovely alter-ego of the Gas Station Attendant.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

DanielCross posted:

The Gas Station Attendant being actually behind it the whole time isn't a Golden addition though, that was in the original game. The only thing Golden did was add Marie and make her the not-lovely alter-ego of the Gas Station Attendant.

4 spoilers cont. Farty Orb God didn't seem so bad in the end. I remember thinking the stakes were a little weird for the true end in original 4. Like you already ended the threat of the fog and merging of worlds, which was orb guy's plan. But Izanami is basically just going to keep loving with humans unless you also prove humanity's potential to her?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Probably best to deal with it permanently before she gets bored and gives it another go in a month

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also real lucky that there just so happened to be a Wild Card coming to live for a year in this tiny town in the middle of boonville. Like Tokyo, sure. A port island that was the site of a Shadow experiment with a relatively well-known high school? Yeah, why not.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also real lucky that there just so happened to be a Wild Card coming to live for a year in this tiny town in the middle of boonville. Like Tokyo, sure. A port island that was the site of a Shadow experiment with a relatively well-known high school? Yeah, why not.
In the case of the P3 MC he was drawn back to Port Island by the Nyx Avatar within him seeking to become whole with the other Arcana Shadows, IIRC. And considering both P4 and P5 were a "game" or "test" of sorts, what's to say the presence of the protagonists of those games wasn't manipulated in a similar way?

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Pretty sure Izanami gave p4 man wild card. She gave Adachi and Namatame power too, after all.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Pretty sure Izanami gave p4 man wild card. She gave Adachi and Namatame power too, after all.
IIRC the dialog in the Izanami boss fight indicates she didn't anticipate Yu having the Wild Card, she just gave him a Persona like the other two.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought she only gave them the power to enter the TV world, something other investigation team members can't do unless they're with you, or teddy who is a denizen of the collective unconscious. You awaken the persona on your own later, outside the liquor store

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My memory is vague on this but I think I remember Yosuke calling you one night to say he tried sticking his hand into the TV too and it worked. But I don't remember if this was before or after he got his Persona.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought she only gave them the power to enter the TV world, something other investigation team members can't do unless they're with you, or teddy who is a denizen of the collective unconscious. You awaken the persona on your own later, outside the liquor store
Immediately after shaking the Totally Normal Gas Station Attendant's hand you have a dream about fighting a suspiciously Izanagi-shaped shadowy being in the fog, I believe this is when the protagonist's Persona ability awakens, and the bit at the Midnight Channel's version of the liquor store with Yosuke later is just the first time he actually uses it.

ApplesandOranges posted:

My memory is vague on this but I think I remember Yosuke calling you one night to say he tried sticking his hand into the TV too and it worked. But I don't remember if this was before or after he got his Persona.
IIRC it's after, anyone who has a Persona can enter the Midnight Channel.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ApplesandOranges posted:

I thought it didn't work and you choose to not tell them you could?
Or they don't believe you say you did?
E: I went to the wiki and they said your TV was too small and chie and youske laugh it off the next day

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 24, 2023

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

HootTheOwl posted:

I thought it didn't work and you choose to not tell them you could?
Or they don't believe you say you did?
E: I went to the wiki and they said your TV was too small and chie and youske laugh it off the next day

After Yosuke gets his Persona, he tries it again offscreen and it works for him.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, you are the only one who could enter the TV without a persona; Yosuke and Chie try it and are met with a regular TV screen and can only enter while you hold the door, but once they awaken they can go in just fine. Dunno if it's ever stated explicitly, but there are scenes later where Rise and Teddie go there while you're doing other things.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
You can also enter the TV without a Persona if you get pushed in. :eng101:

:smith:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well yes okay Namatame and Adachi and probably any native metaverse residents can also enter the TV, and anyone can go in if someone with the power opens the portal. That should be the list, though.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Persona 4 Arena makes it explicit that any Persona User can do it when the P3 cast show up in Inaba and jump in, completely independent of any P4 characters (other than Naoto watching from around the corner). The only requirements are "Persona User" and "In Inaba"

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)

Commander Keene posted:

Immediately after shaking the Totally Normal Gas Station Attendant's hand you have a dream about fighting a suspiciously Izanagi-shaped shadowy being in the fog, I believe this is when the protagonist's Persona ability awakens, and the bit at the Midnight Channel's version of the liquor store with Yosuke later is just the first time he actually uses it.

IIRC it's after, anyone who has a Persona can enter the Midnight Channel.
The dream part on 4/11 is about Izanami and it takes place in Yomotsuhirasaka. The protagonist doesn't hear the "I am thou" stuff until 4/13, after watching the Midnight Channel for the first time, which is presumably when his Persona awakens. Right after, he sticks his hand into the TV.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I like how Chie just gets shitted on with her persona awakening. She doesn't even get her own dungeon, she's the midway point of someone else's.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I like how Chie just gets shitted on with her persona awakening. She doesn't even get her own dungeon, she's the midway point of someone else's.

Because Chie is slightly more together as a person than everyone else, so she doesn't need one. :colbert:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I didn't like Chie. She felt very one note. In fact in all the personas my only real complaint is some of the characters seem one dimensional and it shows especially because the entire premise of the game is coming to turns with warring parts of your personality.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Whether or not she got her own dungeon, I actually thought Chie's whole conflict with her shadow was really cool in how as much as Chie puts herself down compared to Yukiko she quietly enjoys making Yukiko dependent on her. It's a really toxic dynamic that she has to admit to to accept her shadow and makes Chie far more interesting than the surface impression she gives at the start of the game.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Chie's alright, outside of kicking someone in the groin and charging expensive clothes to their account without their permission. And signing Yu and Kanji up for a crossdressing pageant.

But all those things were done to Yosuke, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I always thought Chie spawning her shadow was due to a combination of Chie actually being inside the TV for more than 30 minutes and her mental equilibrium being thrown off from worrying about Yukiko. It's consistent with how Yosuke only spawned his own Shadow after hearing about Saki's inner thoughts from her dungeon. And while their first trip into the TV world took a while, I assume being freaked out being inside the TV isn't the same as being deeply shook to their core like in the examples above. I imagine if they had stayed in the same place for hours, it's possible that Chie and Yosuke might have even shifted the TV world's mental landscape to form their own dungeons.

Shyrka posted:

Whether or not she got her own dungeon, I actually thought Chie's whole conflict with her shadow was really cool in how as much as Chie puts herself down compared to Yukiko she quietly enjoys making Yukiko dependent on her. It's a really toxic dynamic that she has to admit to to accept her shadow and makes Chie far more interesting than the surface impression she gives at the start of the game.

This would have been cool to explore rather than the weird "Hey, do you think I stick my nose in other people's businesses too much?" angle in her S.Link that went nowhere.

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 29, 2023