Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The current jacobite heir is also the Wittelsbach heir. Think big, englanders, you could PU Bavaria and start your own EU from the rejected bits of the first one. Maybe pick up Hungary.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz,_Duke_of_Bavaria

It's not gonna last! Franz is 90 years old, gay, and has no children. The next in line for the Jacobite/Bavarian throne is his 86-year-old brother, Max. But then the lines diverge. Max has five daughters, but no sons. Bavaria used Agnatic succession, which means the next in line for the Bavarian throne after Max is his cousin Luitpold. The Jacobites use male-preference primogeniture, which means that the next in line after Max would be his eldest daughter Sophie, who's married to the heir apparent of Liechtenstein. The Jacobite line is two geriatric dudes' deaths away from Britain being ruled by Liechtenstein!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1661107636698226715

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pakled posted:

The Jacobite line is two geriatric dudes' deaths away from Britain being ruled by Liechtenstein!

That's a feature, not a bug.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khanat_kazakh#/media/Fichier%3AMap_of_the_Kazakh_Khanate_18th_century.png

Return Ornbor sedentary kievan backwater

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Putin speaks Russian and German not French

How could he be expected to read such a thing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

dunno what this is from, but you know what, a few small changes and I'm on board

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Not ambitious enough with redistricting. There's still a Delaware? Florida still has the Alabaman coast? C'mon. State of Jefferson? Gross.

Nice giving El Paso to New Mexico, interesting giving Oklahoma's Panhandle to Texas (which they only got in the first place since Texas wanted to be a slave state but was just a bit too far north), but I'd go the other way to give Texas's panhandle to Oklahoma, following the river. That's a prettier border, and Amarillo is really far away from the main part of Texas anyways. Not really sure about the areas labeled as native American "republics", since there's no other indications that they're separate or anything from the rest of the country. I guess a lot about whether those are apt depends on whatever alt-history details there are.

Weird choice to rename the Carolinas, Louisiana, and Georgia. North and South Missouri? I hate it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guessing it's because they're Jewish Autonomous Oblast levels of Autonomous and Jewish/Native.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Weird choice to rename the Carolinas, Louisiana, and Georgia. North and South Missouri? I hate it.
No gods no kings.

St. John's, Newfoundland and Providence, Rhode Island also got renamed. Maryland became Midland.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Virginia still named after either the Virgin Queen or Virgin Mary no matter which pop etymology you go by though. Should have renamed it to Chad.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/realcounties/status/1660321824616456200?s=46

When you’re in a “needlessly split up the three largest cities in England” contest and your competition is the Campaign for Historic Counties.

Nothing political here, that's just an objectively Correct map.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

No gods no kings.

St. John's, Newfoundland and Providence, Rhode Island also got renamed. Maryland became Midland.

Virginia, West Virginia, and Annapolis all still named for Queens. Charleston still named after a king.

3 Californias you could either argue are 3 more named for queens or named more distantly for caliphs. Los Angeles still city of angels.

Delaware and Raleigh were noblemen. Penn was a quaker. Columbus still all over the place, which normally people are less comfortable with, but I guess depends on how deep the althist goes. Not comfortable with so many things getting named after Jefferson. Austin was an rear end in a top hat. Idaho sucks.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I'd figure a communist country probably would erase the filthy rich slave owners who didn't want anyone without property to vote from the names as well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pasco posted:

Cleveland isn't on it so it's bad because I live in it. Other acceptable solutions would be making everything county cumberland because I like the flag.

The current counties are stupid too because they got rid of cleveland a while ago so as far as I can tell north of the river is durham and south of the river is yorkshire, but I'm fairly sure both counties would like to disclaim us.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 25, 2023

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I think Cleveland got abolished the same time as Humberside did, and that got abolished because the denizens of Hull and Grimsby were offended at being lumped in with those swamp people from the other side of the river.

When it was abolished, one of the major questions was what should happen to the town of Goole, which neither Lincolnshire nor any of the four councils in Yorkshire wanted anything to do with.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Cleveland isn't on it so it's bad because I live in it. Other acceptable solutions would be making everything county cumberland because I like the flag.

The current counties are stupid too because they got rid of cleveland a while ago so as far as I can tell north of the river is durham and south of the river is yorkshire, but I'm fairly sure both counties would like to disclaim us.

Are you a monkey hanger then? Or perhaps a smoggie?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was young at the time but there are several towns build directly over the tees and while the different sides of the river might have Views about each other they're definitely the same town because they're all big industry towns that were built up specifically because of the river and the railway. I don't think the animosity is any greater than between postcode numbers.

That the towns are all fairly new by british standards is likely why the historic counties don't line up, because there was gently caress all here until they set up the industry.

Pseudohog posted:

Are you a monkey hanger then? Or perhaps a smoggie?

Smoggie yes. Monkey hangers are obviously a different species :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 25, 2023

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I was young at the time but there are several towns build directly over the tees and while the different sides of the river might have Views about each other they're definitely the same town because they're all big industry towns that were built up specifically because of the river and the railway. I don't think the animosity is any greater than between postcode numbers.

That the towns are all fairly new by british standards is likely why the historic counties don't line up, because there was gently caress all here until they set up the industry.

Smoggie yes. Monkey hangers are obviously a different species :v:

Of which I'm one! Good thing you're not from Darlo otherwise we would have a problem.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Why did New Jersey annex Wilmington?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

RoastBeef posted:

Why did New Jersey annex Wilmington?

To perform a naval blockade of Pennsylvania

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pasco posted:

England still above water is not Correct.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Virginia, West Virginia, and Annapolis all still named for Queens. Charleston still named after a king.

3 Californias you could either argue are 3 more named for queens or named more distantly for caliphs. Los Angeles still city of angels.

Delaware and Raleigh were noblemen. Penn was a quaker. Columbus still all over the place, which normally people are less comfortable with, but I guess depends on how deep the althist goes. Not comfortable with so many things getting named after Jefferson. Austin was an rear end in a top hat. Idaho sucks.
Virginia wasn't a queen's name, and it's ambiguous if it was even a reference to Elizabeth I or just the fact that it was "virgin" land. Annapolis and Charleston weren't named for monarchs.

Lotta assholes still named on the map, biggest one definitely being Columbus, but it's just kings and gods they got rid of for some reason. Whoever renamed everything was anachronistically worried about monarchy above basically anything else. It's a weird alt-history detail, but it's consistent. If I had to guess, I'd suppose it's imagining a United States that fell to monarchy before going communist.

Also, just out of curiosity, what does Penn being a Quaker have to do with anything? I'm not sure there are any atheists named on the map, why is William Penn the one you're singling out?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Eiba posted:

Whoever renamed everything was anachronistically worried about monarchy above basically anything else.

look,

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Eiba posted:

Virginia wasn't a queen's name, and it's ambiguous if it was even a reference to Elizabeth I or just the fact that it was "virgin" land. Annapolis and Charleston weren't named for monarchs.

They also renamed Charlotte (named for Queen Charlotte) to Luxemburg and Victoria got renamed to Camerun.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/storymer/status/1660989854564352001

Someone take HOI4 away from the twitter guys.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why should Ukraine take this route? Because it gives them the option to do this:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eiba posted:

Also, just out of curiosity, what does Penn being a Quaker have to do with anything? I'm not sure there are any atheists named on the map, why is William Penn the one you're singling out?

Arguably the whole virgin land thing would be worse because they're going with the whole native empowerment angle. Charleston WV I confused with the 3 times bigger Charleston SC, which was named for a king. Annapolis Wikipedia sure lists as having been named for Queen Anne.

William Penn was a pretty religious guy with ideals driven by his religion in a way that anti-religion people would generally not associate with religion. But also I feel like people often forget that Pennsylvania is just named after a guy.

Saladman posted:

They also renamed Charlotte (named for Queen Charlotte) to Luxemburg and Victoria got renamed to Camerun.

You know, I thought that I didn't remember any big American place named after Luxembourg, but I didn't think much of it because there's just so many American places named after European places. Weird choice though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This actually is pretty applicable to the other cleveland as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Why should Ukraine take this route? Because it gives them the option to do this:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Arguably the whole virgin land thing would be worse because they're going with the whole native empowerment angle. Charleston WV I confused with the 3 times bigger Charleston SC, which was named for a king. Annapolis Wikipedia sure lists as having been named for Queen Anne.

William Penn was a pretty religious guy with ideals driven by his religion in a way that anti-religion people would generally not associate with religion. But also I feel like people often forget that Pennsylvania is just named after a guy.

You know, I thought that I didn't remember any big American place named after Luxembourg, but I didn't think much of it because there's just so many American places named after European places. Weird choice though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmLA5TqbIY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Presumably they mean Rosa Luxemburg, not Luxembourg, Grand Duchy of

Also there is a Luxemburg, Iowa irl, I stopped there for as once. It is exactly the midwestern shithole you imagine, makes Cleveland look like Manhattan

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnU1PyKQ-h0&t=1259s

timestamp'd

none of them realize the map they use doesn't have kosovo on it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Guavanaut posted:

There are options

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

I like that in this scenario we just assume that the Finns are gonna join in from the north.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

You think you have a defensive line? Heh, the world is round, idiot. I'm already on the other side.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ditocoaf posted:

You think you have a defensive line? Heh, the world is round, idiot. I'm already on the other side.

New thread title

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Ditocoaf posted:

ahh the tried and true czech legion maneuver

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Why don’t they just fly on the Eagles to Mount Doom?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mordor has air defense systems 30 years ahead of the West.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

bridge of spies but tom hanks is trading a soft spoken uruk hai for an elf spy and a dumbass hobbit student

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Guavanaut posted:

Nazgûl in MiG-25s