Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Vino posted:

I am learning that when people say “drop the motorcycle” they don’t mean “oops it fell over while you were dismounting because you did a dumbo” but rather “your rear end were riding it and now both it and your rear end are on the ground”
IMO if you're on a moving bike, you've crashed, or at least fallen over. There is definitely a difference between 5mph and 50mph. If you have at least one foot on the ground, or are completely off the bike, then you've dropped it. I guess a possible exception is going to put your foot down and nothing is there, or there's something slippery and your foot slides out, but those are either recoverable or maybe poor judgement/carelessness. I've definitely almost fallen over by going to park on top of wet leaves.

Russian Bear posted:

Regarding crashing/falling over, does location matter? I generally say i've fallen over 4 times on my motorcycle, 2 were in a parking lot while practicing drills and such; 2 while making a uturn on roads and messing up bad enough where i just came to a stop basically and laid on the side.

Falling over / dropping your bike while doing low speed technical drills in a parking lot I'd file under "who cares" unless it's the same one over and over, in which I case I'd suggest reviewing your approach. Crashing on the street during normal riding warrants more serious reflection, even if it's an aforementioned freak accident. Maybe Strife can share his thoughts on that one.

I crashed twice when I first started, in the first ~6 weeks. Once at ~100 miles, another at ~800. The first I basically panicked coming into a corner faster than my comfort level, panicked, and plowed off the road, fell over when I hit the gravel/dirt. The second was basically the same thing. I haven't crashed* since then, but I did have a few more close calls within the first year of riding. I feel I am very unlikely to crash on the street these days, as I am not an aggressive rider, ride well within my comfort zone, have an easy and forgiving bike, and I am overall better equipped /skilled enough to avoid getting into those situations in the first place, and knowing how to deal with it if it happens.

*I crashed at the track two weeks ago. I'm not sure if this falls under the "dirt doesn't count" rule. It was definitely preventable (like almost all crashes, as mentioned), but at least the track is a semi controlled environment, where I simply slid off into the dirt and walked away, instead of getting run over by an oncoming car, or wrapping myself around a tree, or flying off a cliff.

Russian Bear posted:

It's those cage thingies you put your feet in that you may have seen on old bicycles

My 2008 bicycle has these :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Crashing on a track doesn't count, it's what tracks are for and why you should never track a bike you love

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
OK sounds like consensus is that dropping is when the bike isn't moving. That's fair.

Went out for some riding today, I didn't drop it but I did manage to smush my crotch a little bit when i braked too hard coming back into my driveway. Nothing I can't walk off.

The parking lot was in use so I just rode around the neighborhood practicing taking turns, braking with hand and foot, remembering to turn off the signal, that sort of thing.

I tried the "No foot down full stop for one second" challenge while I was at stop signs and I will tell you what, that seems like it's impossible. The bike starts to tilt over as soon as you get below 5mph. I can do a slow roll and start back up again but I don't see how a full stop for one second is possible. What am I missing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're missing practice basically

Also if you're mashing your crotch when you brake it means you aren't using your legs at all and instead the forces are being put through your noodle arms. Grip the tank with your legs and lock yourself in place when you brake.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's a practice thing. I already knew how to track-stand a bicycle due to using clipless pedals and shoes. Balancing a big bike is the same, tbh. If you've got your legs locked to the tank like Savvy here is saying, you use your entire body to balance the bike. Being connected to the bike is really important though, because otherwise you're just trying to noodle it around with the handlebars and maybe by moving your knees out?

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
YEA YEA I spend the whole ride reminding myself to hug the tank like my life depends on it and the second I pull into my driveway I forget and it's crotchy smushy time

OK I'll practice

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It will become second nature to where you don't have to consciously think about it.*
In my opinion, this isn't really about being able to balance for x seconds at a stop, but rather having that level of control of and feedback from the bike, which benefits you everywhere, at every speed.

*you'll have to adjust a bit going to a new and unfamiliar bike, but the principle remains the same.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Vino posted:

The bike starts to tilt over as soon as you get below 5mph. I can do a slow roll and start back up again but I don't see how a full stop for one second is possible. What am I missing?
First of all, footless stopping is a party trick. It is however indicative that you have control of the bike at very low speeds, which is very useful to learn. If you don't you'll forever be the guy duck walking your bike around parking lots and you won't be able to safely and precisely ride though really tight spaces and so on which is just about the only situation where motorcycles outshine any other fast vehicle as practical transportation.

What you're probably missing is something fundamental about bikes - they work completely differently below right about 5mph. Above that speed they're stable (they will stay upright and tend to go straight without any rider input) and you turn them by countersteering and leaning into turns, but when going real slow they become unstable (they will fall over without constant rider input) and you turn them by steering the opposite way - if you want to go right you have to turn to the right, instead of to the left like when countersteering. Also you can't lean the bike into turns or it will fall over.

The only thing for it is practice, but there's a few technical pointers that can help. Try lifting your gaze a bit, look straight ahead instead of right in front of you. Try to stay loose and relaxed in your upper body and balance the bike by shifting your hips left to right (at least this is how it feels to me), this way you won't have to saw the handlebars around for balance quite as much, especially if you catch the bike early, if it gets leaning over too far you'll have to give a steering input, often a big one to catch it. You should be able to control the bike in a straight line down to 2mph or so with a few hours of practice. Turning at that speed is trickier, moreso when turning sharply, but for me at least it feels helpful to counter-lean the bike a bit. Crawl speed turns are highly dependent on clutch control since power to the real wheel becomes a primary tool for balance. If falling into a turn, add power. If falling out of a turn, use less power.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It helps to drag the rear brake and slip the clutch at the same time, basically using the engine in opposition to the rear brake to keep the bike 'taut' instead of trying to manage everything with the throttle alone

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Slavvy posted:

It helps to drag the rear brake and slip the clutch at the same time, basically using the engine in opposition to the rear brake to keep the bike 'taut' instead of trying to manage everything with the throttle alone

I was explicitly not allowed to use this method on the crawl speed part of my licence exam ride for some reason so I had to learn to do it without the brake dragging, but yeah it sure helps.

Maybe I should add that it's safest to use the rear brake only at crawl speed. The front brake is OK to use if the steering is straight but if the front wheel is turned it can upset the bike's balance dramatically, and it's real easy to grab way too much brake. Sometimes you have no choice but to use front brake though, like if you need to put your right foot down going downhill.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Not that I don't have a bit of work to do on it but I actually feel like I control the bike pretty well at low speeds. When I come to a stop it's left foot down when I stop, left foot back up when I go, generally very little (but not no) waddling involved. I have pretty good balance and I have ridden a lot of bicycles. I'll still practice of course.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Bicycle skills are definitely helpful for motorcycles, yeah, since they're fundamentally the same thing, but I find that the slower I go the less the skills translate. I can easily do track stands on my commuter e-bike, for as long as I like if there's a bit of an incline so I can go in reverse. On my motorcycle I can't, not even close. Ten times the weight and the comparatively massive contact patches might have something to do with it I guess. I can't jerk a motorcycle around like I can a bicycle, so I have to catch it earlier when it wants to go. Hell, on an unsuspended bike I can hop the front wheel around for balance when stationary, try that on a motorcycle!
On the other hand you can't use thighs against the gas tank to hold on to a bicycle so at least motorcycles have that going for them.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
The way you describe hopping around on a bicycle makes me think we would be friends

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Invalido posted:

I was explicitly not allowed to use this method on the crawl speed part of my licence exam ride for some reason so I had to learn to do it without the brake dragging, but yeah it sure helps.

Maybe I should add that it's safest to use the rear brake only at crawl speed. The front brake is OK to use if the steering is straight but if the front wheel is turned it can upset the bike's balance dramatically, and it's real easy to grab way too much brake. Sometimes you have no choice but to use front brake though, like if you need to put your right foot down going downhill.

Interesting. I was explicitely made to drag the rear brake and slip the clutch. There literally is no way you'd be able to do the EU style vehicle control drills without. You want that drive line to be pulling all the time, and it also does stuff to your rear suspension. In neither of the slow speed drills the front brake was used.

Crawl speed here is a fairly normal city walking pace.

Vino, get someone to walk next to you and keep pace with them for a short stretch. If you can do that, your low speed control's fine. Engine speed a bit above idle, 2-3000rpm depending on the bike. Foot on brake (not your hand!) and balance clutch and throttle in such a way that you don't lug the engine too badly, but you also aren't running at road speed RPMs.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

LimaBiker posted:

There literally is no way you'd be able to do the EU style vehicle control drills without.
I live in the EU (sweden). This is the course I did:

You were allowed to go at max 5km/h average, you were allowed to use the brake a few times to slow down to that speed and for the stops (between the double cones) obviously but not drag it constantly or they'd fail you, the goal was to control the speed with clutch and throttle only. I have no idea why the test is designed that way, maybe to really make you demonstrate youv've mastered the clutch I guess?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Invalido posted:

I was explicitly not allowed to use this method on the crawl speed part of my licence exam

lol

Invalido posted:

I live in the EU (sweden).

I knew there were something wrong with the swedes :hmmyes:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Xakura posted:

I knew there were something wrong with the swedes :hmmyes:
You have no idea.

This is a tractor, you see. It is driven by a 15-year old with a class 1 moped licence. It weighted down to at least 2 tons with concrete and is electronically nerfed to a top speed of 30 km/h. E: it can also legally pull a trailer of any weight without restriction.

All of Sweden's road rules are completely sane and rational,

Invalido fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 25, 2023

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Meanwhile in Germany, 16 year olds can drive this "tricycle" on an A1 class motorcycle license, with up to 20hp of power:

I saw one of them in The Netherlands. I wonder if there actually were 16 year olds in there (in which case they'd be driving with an unvalid license) or whether they were already 18.

Imagine having 20hp in a car that weighs double that of a 2cv6 with only 2/3rds of the power.

W.r.t. the drills in Sweden - that's clearly a very different setup. The drills are individual parts here. Crawling along with a walking instructor and a slow speed slalom with cones spaced 3m apart are done with a slipping clutch and foot on the brake. Not sure anymore about the figure 8 and stuff. Those were done at a high enough speed so you can actually lean over the bike a good bit, which decreases the turning radius. Doing those without leaning over was very hard, if not impossible, and a fail.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 25, 2023

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Invalido posted:

Stupid Swedish “Tractor”

LimaBiker posted:

Stupid German “Tricycle”

I’ve encountered both of these before and I can’t help but feel like there has to be a middle ground between this kind of dumb bullshit and the USA where a 15 year old can drive a Dodge Demon on their learner’s permit. Has any country managed to find that sweet spot?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In nz a 16yo can drive whatever they like provided they have big yellow L signs in the windows and a person with a full license in the passenger seat, and only during daylight hours. In practice this means 16yos can drive whatever they like, whenever they like, however they like provided they never get pulled over.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well i got my motorcycle endorsement finally. took the advice here and went with the msf course. sadly it was at a harley dealership and it was harley flavored and the environment was exactly what i expected. i sucked it up for the duration, learned a lot, and did all the annoying nonsense with the gub'ment. will be picking up a little dual sport in the coming weeks. thanks so much for the help, thread!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

knuthgrush posted:

well i got my motorcycle endorsement finally. took the advice here and went with the msf course. sadly it was at a harley dealership and it was harley flavored and the environment was exactly what i expected. i sucked it up for the duration, learned a lot, and did all the annoying nonsense with the gub'ment. will be picking up a little dual sport in the coming weeks. thanks so much for the help, thread!

Huzzah!

Re: the swedish setup:
The mandatory stuff in the order you had to do them were:
1: half day theoretical seminar about dangers and risks, gear and so on. Mandatory attendance only, no kind of exam.
2: half day practical course with a bunch of drills on a closed course. Brake work on asphalt and gravel, taking a corner at too high a speed and failing, sitting in a heavy truck to learn what the driver sees and can't see, comparing braking distance between heavy truck and modern bike, riding a gocart track with a passenger doing right things and passenger doing wrong things and I forget whatever else. The day ended by us doing a slow race back to the parking lot, no feet down allowed, which was fun. Some dude going for an A2 licence crashed twice. I think he still "passed". It was a super hot day and I ended it by pouring sweat out of my boots.
3: computerized theoretical exam with maybe 70 multiple choice questions at the department of transportation. Getting a time slot was difficult so I had to drive for a couple of hours to another city to not wait for months.
4: exam ride day, in my case on a disused airforce runway. If you passed each step you could continue to the next one. they were:

-slow speed course (posted above), left or right depending on what you were told. It started by answering technical questions about the bike (I had to talk about chain slack, engine oil and something else I forget), then walking and pushing the bike forwards and backwards keeping it between the lines of the T-shaped thing as a setup for the ride.

-high speed course:

pass through the four cones at more than 50 km/h, swerve past the cones either left or right depending on what you were told, maintain speed through slalom, do a high speed u-turn in the box, get back to at least 50 for the return slalom and do a hard brake to stop at the line of four cones.
(I had to do this part again since the examiner thought I went a bit too slowly but gave me a second try so I increased speed by 5 and passed)

-brake hard to stop from 70 km/h
-brake hard to stop from 90 km/h

-go on a ride on public roads with the examiner riding behind telling you over radio what to do.

About half of the candidates failed on the day I took my riding exam.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 25, 2023

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar
hogfarts

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

I knew 'merkins would find that funny but I couldn't find a better image of the course, also lol. (hög=high, fart=speed, "povet" is a misspelling of "provet"=the test). Also our metro trains announce that you're approaching the slutstation (slut=end) which often leads to giggles from some passengers. Our word for "six" is "sex". It goes on and on.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9hE8GUVUWM

Fully licensed in California (and probably most of the US) :hellyeah:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

Invalido posted:

I knew 'merkins would find that funny but I couldn't find a better image of the course, also lol. (hög=high, fart=speed, "povet" is a misspelling of "provet"=the test). Also our metro trains announce that you're approaching the slutstation (slut=end) which often leads to giggles from some passengers. Our word for "six" is "sex". It goes on and on.

Fart Kontrol

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

moxieman posted:

I’ve encountered both of these before and I can’t help but feel like there has to be a middle ground between this kind of dumb bullshit and the USA where a 15 year old can drive a Dodge Demon on their learner’s permit. Has any country managed to find that sweet spot?

A good public transportation system and a moped or bicycle. The key is to make cars superfluous to a young person's freedom and autonomy. Where i live, cars are completely unnecessary to kids. In and around the city they go by moped or bicycle, any farther the train. At 18 they've participated in traffic a whole lot already, either on their bicycle or on their moped.

For the countries where riding a moped is essentially suicide and trains are merely a suggestion, having a separate license category with a limited mass and limited power would be a good idea on face value. No idea if it would actually reduce fatalities. That's something for a traffic scientist to research.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

LimaBiker posted:

For the countries where riding a moped is essentially suicide and trains are merely a suggestion, having a separate license category with a limited mass and limited power would be a good idea on face value. No idea if it would actually reduce fatalities. That's something for a traffic scientist to research.

They do this in Australia and it works somewhat

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Just put a hold payment on a little Honda X150L. It ain't fancy or high powered but it'll work for the small highways here in my semi-rural area and I'm on dirt roads a lot so that'll be fine. Also it's air cooled and has a carburetor so I'll be able to work on it myself. Pretty stoked for my first bike, even if it's a weenie.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is a superb first bike

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s an extremely good bike.

You’ll eventually find it’s better than some bikes that cost orders of magnitude more

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knuthgrush posted:

Just put a hold payment on a little Honda X150L. It ain't fancy or high powered but it'll work for the small highways here in my semi-rural area and I'm on dirt roads a lot so that'll be fine. Also it's air cooled and has a carburetor so I'll be able to work on it myself. Pretty stoked for my first bike, even if it's a weenie.

Is this this new one?

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/dual-sport/xr150l

I love that Honda is selling a gradient of various cheap 2 wheel things.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I wasn't really on board with the navi but I like the xr150l a lot.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Am I crazy for wanting to get rid of my mt03 and getting this lil bike. Maybe a klx300 would be better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you mostly ride on the street and already know how to ride I would not recommend a 150cc 80's dirt bike, just get a drz or something

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Russian Bear posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to get rid of my mt03 and getting this lil bike. Maybe a klx300 would be better.

n+1

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Russian Bear posted:

Is this this new one?

https://powersports.honda.com/motorcycle/dual-sport/xr150l

I love that Honda is selling a gradient of various cheap 2 wheel things.

That's the one! Gonna go pay for it and a skid plate, brush guards, and an accessory socket in a little bit. Not gonna get the saddle and tank bags just yet. Can't drive it home today because my schedule is just hosed but they'll deliver it early next week.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is that bike available on the US market?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Is that bike available on the US market?

The xr150l? I'm in Arkansas and buying it from a Honda dealer so I believe that means yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yes, it's "new" for 2023, which is sort of amazing. Or is it recognition of America's third world status? :ohdear:

I like it. I think it would be a nice lil around town bike, especially if you lived somewhere semi rural and had easy access to trials.