Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How big the game is seems pretty much up to the player. I saw people beat the game the first few nights I was playing in pre-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

One funny thing I've noticed about the discourse on ToTK, is the more you know about programming/game design the more and more this game turns into literal Black Magic and Witchcraft, apparently.
To put it in perspective, you know how basically every AAA game will launch with a day one patch to correct a few oopsies where players can accidentally fall through the floor (and then fall forever, because the world is hollow), and everyone just kinda gets it that this sort of thing is hard to completely nail down because modern physics engines are a very precisely balanced pile of trickery that makes things pretend to act like they would in the real world? This is, by contrast, a game where you can pick up any amount of physics objects in the world that you want, glue them together however you want, and have the resulting new phsyics object react completely correctly with every existing physics object in the world. It is absolutely black loving magic.

Any other game will do "here is a Rail object, it can interact with a Hook object in these carefully prescribed ways". Changing that to "anything with a vaguely hook-like shape will dangle correctly from anything rail-shaped" is orders of magnitude more difficult.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Water temple question:

How are you supposed to hit the switch in the tower that's spinning really quickly? I just plinked away at it with a bow until I managed to hit the switch but I feel like this wasn't the intended way.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Frankston posted:

Water temple question:

How are you supposed to hit the switch in the tower that's spinning really quickly? I just plinked away at it with a bow until I managed to hit the switch but I feel like this wasn't the intended way.

I just jumped off something and went into slow-mo bow mode which made it really easy

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Zore posted:

I just jumped off something and went into slow-mo bow mode which made it really easy

For gently caress sake

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Frankston posted:

Water temple question:

I used a hovering platform with a laser emitter attached

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Khanstant posted:

How big the game is seems pretty much up to the player. I saw people beat the game the first few nights I was playing in pre-release.

Yeah you can just focus all the main quest stuff and beat the game pretty quickly and you're not really penalized for it at all. Or you could let yourself fall down every single diversionary rabbit hole like I've been doing to the point where I still haven't even finished the four sage quests because I'm too busy tricking out all my armors and trying to wrangle the Depths.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zore posted:

Yeah, that's what I did too and I'm pretty sure it's the intended solution.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah, finally starting the second row of hearts *16th heart appears on first row*

:stare:

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Man, gently caress the water temple.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the rollercoaster shrine was very good. and so was the snowboarding one

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m all kinds of mixed up in the Fire temple but having fun just wandering around and falling into the SMALLEST GODDAMN WINDOW of lava between igneous slabs.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Like I guess I'm not supposed to be at the water temple yet because nothing works and it won't let me do anything despite trying poo poo for hours. But I haven't talked to any zora people yet and a cursory Google search says I'm supposed to do some other quest first. I just happened upon the place exploring the sky and I haven't even seen the ground in this zone before..

I'm going to assume that's it and not that I have severe brain damage or something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Generally you're not supposed to visit any temple until you have the appropriate partner for it, as you'll need said partner to complete the temple.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every temple you need someone from the affected region to help you through

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RatHat posted:

It can actually survive more than 1 hit, it just needs to be at the “severely damaged” stage to get the damage bonus.

The royal guard weapons just need to be severely damaged, but every weapon does bonus damage on the absolute last hit, the one that breaks the weapon. It also sends enemies flying. Pretty sure the tutorial even describes this effect.
That bonus-damage-on-last-hit effect stacks with the Royal Guard bonus. And apparently it triggers whenever the weapon has 1 durability left, not just when it breaks! It isn't displayed in the UI though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the "champion abilities" in this game are one of the few things that just fall flat imo. Two of the three I've gotten so far are incredibly situational and activating them is really clunky. It's really easy to use them by accident or for them to just refuse to activate when you want them. I just have the Zora and Goron ones toggled off 99% of the time and most situations where they might be helpful I usually forget about them.
they probably could've nixed the redundant map button on the item wheel, which i've literally never used because pressing minus is faster, and found a way to slot these in there instead

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 26, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
It would be super nice if the game told me that

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I use the wheel to open the map in handheld mode because I have a hard time hitting - on the joycon.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
I did like all the temples. Fire was the most tedious but they all had their charm. Boss fights were all good though I was not expecting the Water temple fight to be what it was. The Spirit Temple was the most creative and I think had the best payoff. The 5th Sage construct actually felt like a traditional "get the item to unlock the rest of the temple and use it against the boss" but it was a very clever use of the item. Technically, all the Sage powers felt like "getting the item" to some degree.

I'm about 80 hours in and have reached the "defeat Ganondorf" questline after the Zelda Chase in Hyrule Castle. I have the Master Sword and did all the Tears. I suppose I'm in the "endgame" now. I have like 30 side quests active right now. Despite the main quest wrapping up, there's still 100+ hours of content left. I only have like half the shrines only maybe 1/4th of the Depths mapped out. I still feel there's a ton of world-building quests I haven't done yet that might actually have permanent effects a la Tarry Town in BotW.

I haven't "beat" the game yet but I don't feel like I could at this point. I'm not on a second row of hearts, I don't have enough upgraded armor, and though I have weapons that might push into the 60s, I don't think I'm anywhere near what's possible. I also don't use the Zonai tech to their fullest and I think trying to just face-tank, dodge/parry is not how I'm intended to beat tough enemies. I have frikkin' laser beams, cannons, and flamethrowers at my disposal and I never use them. And they REALLY need to come up with a better system to use Sage powers than chasing down brain-dead allies and pressing A. If I could utilize all these powers more reliably, I'd be way more powerful..

Still a 11/10 game. Makes BotW look quaint, though I maintain BotW is the more "important" game in the history of video games. ToTK is absolutely the better game, though, which seemed impossible just a few weeks ago.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FooF posted:

I also don't use the Zonai tech to their fullest and I think trying to just face-tank, dodge/parry is not how I'm intended to beat tough enemies. I have frikkin' laser beams, cannons, and flamethrowers at my disposal and I never use them.

Sadly the Zonai devices scale so poorly with endgame enemies that they're mostly useless besides exploiting elemental weaknesses

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hi Zelda thread, just had my mind blown by the collect all dragon’s tears cutscene. Now I’m trying to reach the light dragon again because I didn’t have enough stamina last time. Is there a reliable place to reach it again? I’ve had no luck so far

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

FrickenMoron posted:

Finished the game today. The game is too big for its own good just like botw was and by the end it really dragged for me.

username/post combo

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone know any really good spots to drop a medallion for when things respawn?

I've got one in Zelda's Chambers because when it respawns you get 2 Royal Guard Bows and a Royal Guard Claymore in immediate access. I've got another in Tarrey Town to do the Kilton quests right after I get the photo and if I find gem weapons to get them broken down for the gems. The third one is an as needed, drop before trying anything too crazy or by my horse when I noticing something to explore nearby.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

man nurse posted:

Hi Zelda thread, just had my mind blown by the collect all dragon’s tears cutscene. Now I’m trying to reach the light dragon again because I didn’t have enough stamina last time. Is there a reliable place to reach it again? I’ve had no luck so far

Have you been to the lost woods yet?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've got a travel medallion at Satori Mountain to get easy cave markers, though it only seems to work at a range around that area, so I'll have to tag other locations later.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Uh, that sounds pretty good.

I've got an only somewhat optimized setup and I one shot silver moblins doing this lol. Puffshrooms are crazy powerful, they even work on gloom hands to set up some spin to win, nothing else I use is more precious

It's super confusion, you can sprint right up to them and backstab whole groups one after the other and if it doesn't kill them outright, it puts them in some kind of mega stagger

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 27, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Is there a way to make (later game spoilers) the mech you get from the Spirit Temple not suck? It does so little damage no matter what devices or monster pieces you stick on it, and like the rest of your buddies, it just stands around like a bad guy in a movie when the main character has to fight like eight dudes at once.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Rochallor posted:

Is there a way to make (later game spoilers) the mech you get from the Spirit Temple not suck? It does so little damage no matter what devices or monster pieces you stick on it, and like the rest of your buddies, it just stands around like a bad guy in a movie when the main character has to fight like eight dudes at once.

nope! The only thing it's good for is smashing ore deposits and rocks. I fused spiked balls/boulders to the fists and a fan to the back for the anime run in the depths.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Rochallor posted:

I’ve had decent results combining freeze projector on one arm and a strong monster part on the other for a freeze-shatter combo.

If you’re not piloting, best you can do is probably flame projectors for the disable.

It’s still mostly for novelty though, you can do just as well or better on foot

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Where can I find more Zoanite bows? I like to use them to snipe guards.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Zonaite Forge sky island spawns Mighty Zonaite weapons periodically

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rochallor posted:

You can upgrade with sages will like everybody else and it appears to be just as negligible as everyone else lol

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Mega64 posted:

I could be wrong, but based on what I read in this thread earlier, a couple things affects the Light Dragon.

1. Doing the Korok Forest stuff is what lowers the Light Dragon's path.
2. Doing all the tears, and the final tear after that, brings the Light Dragon low enough temporarily that you can reach it.

I don't know the exact path, but I did see the mentioned creature after "lowering" it around the Thyphlo Ruins west of Death Mountain, shortly before the fire dragon also crossed there.

It flys clockwise around the map passing over each Tear; the way I track it down is to start visiting each skytower going counter-clockwise and scoping out the nearest Tear

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I forgot to take a pic of the wind dungeon boss, is there a way to add it to my compendium?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fadam posted:

I forgot to take a pic of the wind dungeon boss, is there a way to add it to my compendium?

all the bosses can be re-challenged in the depths

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does anything other than horses transfer from BOTW?

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

Every member the squad is best as, well, a member of the squad. They don't do a ton of damage, but theyre good at getting crits/staggers and drawing aggro.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

all the bosses can be re-challenged in the depths

Thanks playa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Khanstant posted:

You can upgrade with sages will like everybody else and it appears to be just as negligible as everyone else lol

Tulin is pretty nice since he gets a lot of headshots, which stun enemies(or kill them if they get sent off a cliff). Just be careful around electric Lizalfos…