Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Did you get this in writing?

No, and I should've.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

dovetaile posted:

I think the part I'm most pissed off about is that she didn't even ask me; she just stuck me on the schedule.

That's just the normal way it's done in retail. Because usually it works. Most people, unfortunately, complain to coworkers but meekly accept the company's assertion of ownership of their lives.

dovetaile posted:

No, and I should've.

Confirm by text or email immediately. Otherwise you're leaving yourself wide open for a Biblical loving.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Confirm by text or email immediately. Otherwise you're leaving yourself wide open for a Biblical loving.

Don't even need them to respond, just write them "hey, just confirming what we talked about earlier, I am not available on Wednesdays so I won't be available to work the shift you scheduled me at for Wednesday 7:30"

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Oh I just called out, thankfully got one of the good managers who was all "Oh we'll miss you!" No you won't because I'm never there Wednesdays anyway! If the rear end. man does it for next week's schedule, I'm going to talk to her.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
One more week of graveyard and I'll get a few weeks off and come back doing midshift. So then I get these bombshells dropped on me:

I'll be working weekends. Even though I said I want monday-thursday

The AM who calls out every month for graveyard is also moving to day shift. So you know, I can continue having the joy of being called on my days off to come in.

I was told I had to wear my back brace under my shirt. And of course I'd want to wear a second shirt so the brace isn't rubbing against my bare skin. 2 shirts. In California. During summer. In a position where I'll also be standing next to a food heater that can generate enough heat to burn paper bags.

Its like my manager forgot that I already attempted to quit last month

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
They didn't forget, you just haven't quit yet.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Did your manager agree to give you M-Th?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

dovetaile posted:

Oh I just called out, thankfully got one of the good managers who was all "Oh we'll miss you!" No you won't because I'm never there Wednesdays anyway! If the rear end. man does it for next week's schedule, I'm going to talk to her.

She did it for next week. I'm starting to think she's doing it on purpose. Thankfully I took a picture of my availability on our sytem where it still says Unavailable on Wednesdays and I'm gonna shove it in her face tomorrow.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

She is doing it on purpose.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

And if you don't raise hell she's going to keep doing it.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I agree with the above posters. As someone who went through similar poo poo at my old job because I didn't follow through on my threats to leave, they're just gonna keep pushing you as much as they can until you either actually quit or screw something up badly enough (because you're frazzled and depressed because you're working all the loving time) that they can fire you.

Leal and dovetaile (and Cowslips Warren and PurpleXVI while I'm at it :) ) - I hope you're looking for/find a better job soon. Whatever you do now isn't worth the stress they're putting you through. I know it's easier said than done, but I'm rooting for all of you to have success story posts about your new jobs like I had a couple months ago (it's already been 2 months!). I also know it seems easy to just accept that "hey, at least I have a job," because that's what I did for so long, but trust me, it's so worth it to find somewhere that treats you like a human being and not just a part of the Number Go Up Machine (I know that's also easier said than done, because that can describe a lot of jobs).

Last Monday, we had lemon cheesecake AND spice cake at the "snack station," (usually it's cookies or donuts, which are also good) because I work with a bunch of little old ladies who volunteer one or two days a week, and most of them will make something and bring it in to share with everybody. Also, there's a former chef (among many other jobs he had) who makes really good oatmeal raisin cookies (and other cookies, and also stuff like pasta salad or salsa). I made the "mistake" of telling him how much I liked them the first time I worked with him, and now every time he makes cookies, he makes sure to tell me "I made some oatmeal raisin cookies for you, buddy." :3:

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 18, 2023

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

And if you don't raise hell she's going to keep doing it.

Oh I am, don't worry. Our system says Unavailable and drat it it means unavailable.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

beats for junkies posted:

Leal and dovetaile (and Cowslips Warren and PurpleXVI while I'm at it :) ) - I hope you're looking for/find a better job soon. Whatever you do now isn't worth the stress they're putting you through. I know it's easier said than done, but I'm rooting for all of you to have success story posts about your new jobs like I had a couple months ago (it's already been 2 months!). I also know it seems easy to just accept that "hey, at least I have a job," because that's what I did for so long, but trust me, it's so worth it to find somewhere that treats you like a human being and not just a part of the Number Go Up Machine (I know that's also easier said than done, because that can describe a lot of jobs).

I gotta say working at Amazon was oddly theraputic after my old job in the kitchen. Yes there's so much bullshit but it's bullshit I'm oddly tolerant of. The kitchen was "You're here until the job is done so you need to do X, Y, Z, Zeta, Pineapple, etc. The manager is going to try to call you in on at least one of your days off, likely both and make you work 60-70 hour weeks" Amazon is "Okay you're here for 10 hours of hard work, but then you go home. We don't want you here early, we don't want you here late, we want you on a fixed schedule you can plan around. Also we want you to stay in your lane: your job is X and maybe some Y, let someone else worry about everything else and you focus on your role."

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Alkydere posted:

I gotta say working at Amazon was oddly theraputic after my old job in the kitchen. Yes there's so much bullshit but it's bullshit I'm oddly tolerant of. The kitchen was "You're here until the job is done so you need to do X, Y, Z, Zeta, Pineapple, etc. The manager is going to try to call you in on at least one of your days off, likely both and make you work 60-70 hour weeks" Amazon is "Okay you're here for 10 hours of hard work, but then you go home. We don't want you here early, we don't want you here late, we want you on a fixed schedule you can plan around. Also we want you to stay in your lane: your job is X and maybe some Y, let someone else worry about everything else and you focus on your role."

It's the same way going from a route sales job to merchandising. Similar job set but I'm not doing the ordering or having to talk to managers about getting extra space, or dealing with product shortages. I show up and put the the product we have on the shelf and make it look nice. And it's hourly instead of commission only.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I really feel a lot of it comes down to just having enough staffing. Obviously it has to be somewhat reasonably managed for "People A, B and C do jobs M, N, and O respectively" but at the same time the more people you have the more those jobs can be divvied up.

But having enough people involves a) hiring enough people and even worse b) paying them enough that they stay. Modern capitalism just can't stand doing either of those: gotta get one person doing 3 jobs at half the pay.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I mean I've been at my store for almost 15 years and our staff has been halved. Before any managers, our petco had a dedicated cashier, a dedicated aquatics person, one person working the front half of the store and one in the back, for open, mid, and close. Dog trainer (me) was not factored into this at all, so between classes I was an extra hand. Plus our managers and product reps. Now we have twice as much work because of having to fill online orders and pack them for shipping, BOPUS orders, or the loving shitheads who want us to carry their bullshit out to their cars, but half as much staff. For me personally, I could make as much as I do a week by scheduling 4 private lessons a week, but needing to actually hustle those clients up, not having health insurance, or an hourly wage during slow times means I'm stuck as a pet store dog trainer. I'm just relieved as hell that I'll be dying in like seven years.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Soonmot posted:

I mean I've been at my store for almost 15 years and our staff has been halved. Before any managers, our petco had a dedicated cashier, a dedicated aquatics person, one person working the front half of the store and one in the back, for open, mid, and close. Dog trainer (me) was not factored into this at all, so between classes I was an extra hand. Plus our managers and product reps. Now we have twice as much work because of having to fill online orders and pack them for shipping, BOPUS orders, or the loving shitheads who want us to carry their bullshit out to their cars, but half as much staff. For me personally, I could make as much as I do a week by scheduling 4 private lessons a week, but needing to actually hustle those clients up, not having health insurance, or an hourly wage during slow times means I'm stuck as a pet store dog trainer. I'm just relieved as hell that I'll be dying in like seven years.

Fifteen years ago or so when I started at Walgreens we had 3-4 managers throughout the day, with a couple cashiers, 1-2 people in photo with overlap, and the same in cosmetics. By the time I left eight years later there was one cashier, one photo, one cosmetics, and one manager, on a good day. The store manager got mad at me one day for not finishing my management tasks because I was covering both photo and cosmetics while the photo person was covering the cashier's lunch, while I also had to help the pharmacy and use the second register when a line formed.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Fun update! I talked to her and she said she had no idea I wasn't available Wednesdays. (And that she'll fix it but we'll see about that one.)
Before our store manager came in, she used to make the schedule every week.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Got it in writing this time? :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

I really feel a lot of it comes down to just having enough staffing. Obviously it has to be somewhat reasonably managed for "People A, B and C do jobs M, N, and O respectively" but at the same time the more people you have the more those jobs can be divvied up.

But having enough people involves a) hiring enough people and even worse b) paying them enough that they stay. Modern capitalism just can't stand doing either of those: gotta get one person doing 3 jobs at half the pay.

It’s 100% staffing.

I went from retail sales to call center sales, and it’s crazy how much easier shift scheduling and time off is. Everything is set schedule weekly (rotation every 6 months), so there’s no weekly change to your shift except maybe holidays and Christmas time. Need time off? Well, instead of being one of 3 employees of the day in the store (33% of staffing) there’s minimum 400-600 people scheduled every day so there’s no fight on using time either.

Granted, it’s very easy to abuse call center workers, I’m just lucky that they *mostly* don’t do that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ah good ol retail labor accounting, where

1) payroll dollars are always allocated as a percent of store sales
2) in order to squeeze more blood from stones, companies are just building more and more locations really close to one another, resulting in
3) better corporate sales year-over-year but worse same-store sales, so
4) accounting says "oh you get less payroll"

then someone's trying to take food inventory while also waiting on customers so food inventory isn't done well, and then accounting asks in every meeting "why is it so hard to take inventory, can't these people count" and no one ever listens to you when you explain that people need to be allowed to do this without interruptions for it to be accurate

ok that last little bit might just be my own experience at a job i hated but you get me :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Shugojin posted:

ah good ol retail labor accounting, where

1) payroll dollars are always allocated as a percent of store sales
2) in order to squeeze more blood from stones, companies are just building more and more locations really close to one another, resulting in

Local city in Kentucky that I used to deliver to had a Walgreens, then a Rite Aid a couple blocks down, then another Rite Aid a few blocks down from that. Then Walgreens bought out Rite Aid and all three of them are now Walgreens, all within a mile of each other.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Kroger bought out a grocery chain years ago and ever since then there were two Krogers right across the street from each other. They finally closed one of them a while back. I understand that kind of thing might happen in a situation like that, but two within eyesight of each other is a bit much.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg-J2TS13GA

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm doing a harassment training module at work and apparently there isn't protection against employer discrimination directed at communists?*

lol just lol

*according to Title 7 of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, at least.

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 21, 2023

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Local city in Kentucky that I used to deliver to had a Walgreens, then a Rite Aid a couple blocks down, then another Rite Aid a few blocks down from that. Then Walgreens bought out Rite Aid and all three of them are now Walgreens, all within a mile of each other.

I'm coming home now from visiting Oahu, where there's like 45 ABC stores in Waikiki

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Keeping tabs on the old job store and they've apparently lost so many people (including one person who came back after quitting and quit again 2 months later) that the one remaining person from when I worked there is now doing 6 day weeks because they have no other regular staff. Also now it's getting into summer they've finally decided to do something about the windows acting as a giant magnifying glass and making the store unbearably hot, the problem is rather than doing this in a smart way like putting some thick black cardboard over them they've whitewashed them so from the outside it looks like the store's closed down.

And the owner is doing a talk on Saturday about business success. Genuinely tempted to go for shits and giggles.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 24, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Logistics district manager and retail district manager in town today.

Can't wait.

Had some weird dream where they cut all driver hours to 4 hours a day. I mean it's what we're working anyway. Let's see if I have the gift of unfortunate prophecy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
No more graveyard shifts :toot: :toot: :toot:

And I got about 18 days to myself before going back to working midshift. So while its unpaid I'll still link this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21JMxY-9mDw

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Walmart employee decided to try and manhandle some sodas from behind the skid I was working instead of just asking and knocked a bunch of my 12 packs over, breaking four of them. Didn't even say anything, just looked at me and walked away with their stuff.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Did you yell at them "you loving customer"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Much as I would love to never have to set foot in a Walmart again, I don't think my company would be very happy about me being kicked out of one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Okay yeah good point. There are some lines you shouldn't cross and some words you shouldn't say.

So did you at least say "you loving rear end in a top hat"?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Okay yeah good point. There are some lines you shouldn't cross and some words you shouldn't say.

So did you at least say "you loving rear end in a top hat"?

I like to think the stare I gave him conveyed several emotions.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like to think the stare I gave him conveyed several emotions.

"I HOPE YOU poo poo YOURSELF TO DEATH"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rainbow Knight posted:

"I HOPE YOU poo poo YOURSELF TO DEATH"

And then pirouette away. 🩰

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

We got a new guy in our department who is... I don't know, I guess a 25 year old right-wing racist pepe? He's firmly in the "I'm just being racist as a joke but also do you think the Jews control the media?" camp. He's young though and open-minded, so things are going in the right direction. When we're both working in prep area he asks questions and likes my takes, but I have had to tell him "do not repeat that outside of this room" in response to some of his opinions.

telling him about what "the red-pill" really represents was a lot of fun lol

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Knight posted:

We got a new guy in our department who is... I don't know, I guess a 25 year old right-wing racist pepe? He's firmly in the "I'm just being racist as a joke but also do you think the Jews control the media?" camp. He's young though and open-minded, so things are going in the right direction. When we're both working in prep area he asks questions and likes my takes, but I have had to tell him "do not repeat that outside of this room" in response to some of his opinions.

telling him about what "the red-pill" really represents was a lot of fun lol

Good luck with your pet chud.

We're getting a second assistant manager? For some reason? When we have no payroll?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Things there's always budget for:
- More managers
- Executive bonuses
- Stock buybacks

Things there's never budget for:
- Worker pay
- Job positions for people who actually do the work that makes the company money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
There is also always budget for expensive consultants and conferences to figure out why you’re spending so much money and how slashing payroll is the only way to fix it.