Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

History Comes Inside! posted:

The only really good ones are the real deal unfortunately, every third party joycon is missing at least one or more features.

The big split pad pro ones are a nice size but they weigh gently caress all and feel cheap and lovely to me, personally.

Nintendo repairs drift for free though regardless of warranty, just get onto their support about it.

Is this true for the US too? I see posts about it being for EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well not having played BotW is now hurting me because I just came to the surface and I have no idea where anything is.

I worked my way around in a circle and did a couple shrines and blew up a huge Bokoblin crew on a scaffold full of dynamite.

Best game ever

Edit also I have a horse named Dork

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Well my Switch Lite arrived surprisingly fast, overall seems to be in pretty near pristine condition, battery was dead though and the seller forgot to to factory reset the thing so the profiles of the previous owner and their stuff is still on it(including the entirety of the pitiful 32 GB of internal storage being eaten up by a copy of Mortal Kombat 11 of all games) so now I got to do that

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Well, found the clip on youtube. I need to go there anyway to get a shrine, it looks like. But how many people are actually going to look at the walls and say "I should definitely do them in that order" as opposed to people who just make a note of where they are on the map and get them in whatever order they run into them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm sure it's not a problem but people get really serious about optimizing their Zelda experience. I don't doubt Nintendo considered the possibility that somebody might watch them in the wrong order and decided "that's fine"

I'm also surprised at the number of people who are upset that the dupe glitch was patched out (not in this thread but in general). Sure, play how you want but resources haven't really been a problem for me in my 50 hours or so

In fact having to scavenge or pivot due to a lack of certain resources has led to some of the funnest moments in my game time so far

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 26, 2023

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, found the clip on youtube. I need to go there anyway to get a shrine, it looks like. But how many people are actually going to look at the walls and say "I should definitely do them in that order" as opposed to people who just make a note of where they are on the map and get them in whatever order they run into them.

the game literally tells you that the walls are the order lmfao

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

American McGay posted:

Works on my machine.

I mean it works fine! But (plot spoilers)

You do the four shrines and then get sent to the castle to find Zelda, except I did the memories already so it's established she's a dragon and that Evil Zelda was already tried by Ganon. This goes uncommented on and I'm supposed to just go in and save Zelda.

I stumbled on the 5th sage real early yet after I got the master sword and knew Zelda was a dragon. She tells you all about Zelda being a dragon and then gives you a quest to go get the master sword which I already had.

At least in Horizon they wrote around the players doing things out of order at times

Also if we're bringing back my greatest hits I'm partial to this one

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1309879589557039107?t=txV9uo23h8VSaePGIg1zEw&s=19

Len fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 26, 2023

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

An Actual Princess posted:

the clip I saw does not show the game telling you that the walls are the order lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAzeBjjcBO0&t=1168s

It does infer it but barely lmfao

unless there is something that this video missed lmfao?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

An Actual Princess posted:

Yeah, I can see if you skim the dialogue how you can miss it, but I picked up on what Impa said and took pictures on my camera of the order of the Tears, and it guided me to do the tears in order just fine.

Augus posted:

tbqh the thing that's spoiled if you watch the tears in the wrong order is also given away basically immediately if you watch them in order so idk if it's that big a deal

To be fair, some of us are idiots who don't see somewhat obvious twists coming.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

KingSlime posted:

In fact having to scavenge or pivot due to a lack of certain resources has led to some of the funnest moments in my game time so far

I feel like if you watched dupe needers play it would be infinitely frustrating with how much crap they just walk by and don't pick up and then wonder why they don't have anything. Then again I guess watching a long play of anyone playing a game you have before would be just as frustrating to watch. Like playing with a controller that won't obey or do the right thing, on purpose.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KingKapalone posted:

Is this true for the US too? I see posts about it being for EU.

Yeah it’s worldwide because they made a huge deal about it, if you can’t get the support website to co-operate you can just call them and arrange it that way.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I did the tears in whatever order I happened across them in and you don’t see the final one until you collect them all anyway and I was still surprised by the revelation so I don’t think it really matters but maybe I missed obvious foreshadowing idk game rules though

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, I'll just do it as I go along then, like I do most things. Gotta get out of this desert finally. Thank goodness, it's the weekend (even if I'm very busy for most of it...)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

man nurse posted:

Sorry for yet another post, but an idea just crossed my mind.

Am I correct in thinking that I can turn some hearts into stamina with that demon statue below the hub town where Puhra hangs out?

Temporary stamina from potions or sleeping in a special bed also works

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Temporary stamina from potions or sleeping in a special bed also works

Oh word. I just thought it might have to be legit because iirc doing potions that extend your life meter didn’t work for getting the master sword in botw

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Now my problem is trying to figure out how to reach the light dragon again. So far I haven’t been able to but maybe I’m just not being in the right place at the right time?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

the clip I saw does not show the game telling you that the walls are the order lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAzeBjjcBO0&t=1168s

It does infer it but barely lmfao

unless there is something that this video missed lmfao?

I know, reading is super hard. I believe in you though, you’ll get better!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Escape Goat posted:

I came across the first one of those and proceeded to:

1. Lift up in the balloon without the lady
2. Lift up the balloon with the lady but without Link
3. Finally ascend together. Then she tells me to use the paraglider, which I didn't have. So I extinguished the flame with an ice arrow, and then she complained about that too.

Now I'm not sure wtf I was supposed to do there or if I've messed it up. Returned with the glider and jumped off the balloon... nothing happened. :confused:

Your lack of the item in the last part is kinda impressive. The game pushes you towards it pretty blatantly because you get it by doing the next few steps in the main story and it's also how you unlock the towers. I explored under Hyrule castle without it and even then, it was a bit of a pain since I had to be careful in a few larger holes.

OTOH, I didn't notice Hetsu until about 30 or so hours into the game despite running past them probably half a dozen times before then :downs:
(unless they weren't always there?)

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Deep speculation time, don’t click unless you saw the places mentioned.

I saw the third tear cutscene (purah pad geoglyph one) and the moment they said the words “draconic form” i knew exactly where they’re going with the story. I’m guessing, from what I saw in the wind temple/dungeon , that the dragon we saw at the beginning when jumping off tutorial island is Zelda or Rauru, and that, considering the boss of the wind temple was a big rear end dragon like thing, that one was the wind sage and every temple will have us kill another sage to kill the mummy thing which I’m not yet ready to say is Ganon considering the build we saw him have in the cutscene

I’m not looking to have anyone confirm/deny my speculation. But if it turns out that’s the bit spoiler… well they’re not being subtle ;)

E: one thing that i really want to do is to try and find the room from the very beginning when you’re exploring with Zelda to uncover the other part of the mural. I wonder if it’s doable early or if that room is basically before the last boss… gonna have to search around Hyrule castle. Never been yet.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 27, 2023

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i keep meaning to explore the castle but i keep getting distracted by other poo poo this game is basically an adhd simulator

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

i'll take the excuse to link it again!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOzN8gHvJlY

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well here's what I ended up buying as my first set of games for my Switch Lite;

Bought a set of Vouchers, used that for Breath of The Wild and Splatoon 3

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Bioshock Collection

Postal Redux

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The only real important thing to know with the Geoglyphs, if you want to go in blind otherwise;

Do not go near the one that looks like the Master Sword until you've seen the others.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Crossposting from the budding Controllers thread:

beer gas canister posted:

Just put hall effect sticks in my otherwise stock joycons. A few takeaways:

-It's a massive pain in the rear end if you hate fiddling with tiny stuff. The tweezers supplied by the seller did not grip ribbon cables easily. I stripped multiple screws on the case and ultimately had to use a flathead screwdriver to finish the job.
-If you diy, make drat sure to properly close the latches on the ribbon cable ends to secure them in place when you're done. My ZR cable wiggled loose and I had to open it up a 2nd time
-Watch out for the rail lock button on reassembly. The ifixit guide doesn't mention it, but it may fall out at some point. Make note of the simple mechanism before you take the whole thing apart.
-At the end, you'll know that the case is aligned when the shells snap together. This is touchy because the excess ribbon cable puts slight pressure on the shell.

Fortunately, the sticks are flawless. Massively reduced dead zone combined with provided stick caps make them comfortable and precise. They take slightly more effort to move, and add a tiny amount of weight.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

also while I was digging through the "Great Deals" section of the E-Shop I ran into this abomination and must share my pain with the thread;

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/furry-hentai-tangram-switch/

like how the gently caress is this something Nintendo approved to be on their store?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

:thanks:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ugh tangrams are too easy if you passed all your Pieget's

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Len posted:

Oh it gets real bad in some spots. Nintendo did not write alternate dialogue for doing certain things out of order. It's comically lazy and makes Link come across as a real rear end in a top hat

I don't think it's that unreasonable (TotK plot spoilers): Link doesn't want to share that Zelda turned herself into a mindless dragon and is aimlessly roaming the skies of Hyrule, because there is no benefit to making that information public. Evil ghost Zelda is a bit more of a stretch given that her deal is extremely obvious if you get that one geoglyph; I figure Link is somehow too dense to connect the dots, or maybe just doesn't want to share that there is an evil ghost Zelda until after he's banished her, because that could also cause undue panic.

The game is pretty consistent about those two plot points; most everything else the game absolutely acknowledges you doing out of order. The biggest ones I saw were stumbling across Mineru way too early and completing the Spirit Temple; you get the big pre-rendered cutscenes about Zelda's sacrifice, but then the regular dialogue afterwards is "you need to find the Master Sword as soon as- oh you already have it? Well, good, I'm glad. Okay here's my magic ring, you know the drill." and the big debrief after doing the Hyrule Castle dungeon bit. The sages suss out that there was a fifth sage in the flashback, Purah suggests you go looking, Link does the chatting gesture, "Oh you found her already? Her name is Mineru? AND you have the Master Sword? Well gee you should have chimed in earlier. Now we just need to find out where Ganondorf is hiding... oh you already did that quest also? Always two steps ahead, Link. Well, uh, tell Josha she did a good job, and get ready for the final battle, I guess."

also a bunch of smaller stuff like clearing out a monster den and having some NPCs ride in to say "wow you killed them all singlehandedly while we were fiddling with a collapsed bridge, cool" or Penn being puzzled that there appears to be no issue at a stable only to get the scoop that you fixed it on the way there.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

They didn't get good until 3 when they added the fun internet lore stuff

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waltzing Along posted:

Wait...Impa is in other areas?

She gets around quite a bit for a centenarian.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
The world state of TotK just generally feels less "robust" than BotW, and instead is more reliant on the proper triggers and the right flags being switched on first

I discovered the Royal Hidden Passage early, and apparently entered it backwards. It was a really exhilarating time, but it ended up at a solid wall at Lookout Landing. I could hear the NPCs, but I couldn't open the wall. I ascended and spoke to both the NPCs nearby who were clearly planting the seeds for the quest, but they had no reaction. and even when the quest did unlock, they didn't acknowledge at all that I'd already done the entire thing It was uncharacteristically clunky

and I know it's stupid, but it bugs me that huge parts of BotW are just handwaved away. there's just this overall lack of continuity that I can't quite place my finger on. I keep expecting it to come up as a plot point, because it's like characters are going out of their way to ignore some really major things

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

thats certainly a take

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WarpDogs posted:

The world state of TotK just generally feels less "robust" than BotW, and instead is more reliant on the proper triggers and the right flags being switched on first

I discovered the Royal Hidden Passage early, and apparently entered it backwards. It was a really exhilarating time, but it ended up at a solid wall at Lookout Landing. I could hear the NPCs, but I couldn't open the wall. I ascended and spoke to both the NPCs nearby who were clearly planting the seeds for the quest, but they had no reaction. and even when the quest did unlock, they didn't acknowledge at all that I'd already done the entire thing It was uncharacteristically clunky

Yeah I'm with you, the very few things the game lets you do early without a comment are very surprising. One of the temples was very easy for me because I'd already visited before meeting the requirement to complete it, and so there were a bunch of cutscenes going "where could it be! and" "how could we safely get there!" when I already had been. It really ruined the moment emotionally to have characters playing dumb like that, especially since I just teleported back up the the temple after. I don't think it's too big a blemish, just surprising.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Yeah it’s worldwide because they made a huge deal about it, if you can’t get the support website to co-operate you can just call them and arrange it that way.

Not quite "worldwide," certainly US (which is what the OP asked about) and I guess EU since that was also mentioned. But not here in Taiwan, I was able to get one drifting set serviced for free within a year from Nintendo, however they still charged to repair a second drifting set that was out of warranty. It wasn't even that cheap, either, like a third the price of a new set of Joy-Cons although I guess the turnaround was really fast (like 48 hours). I'd guess because not enough people here have raised a stink about the inherent flaw in design that causes drifting, so yeah, no free repair policy for us :(

It's extremely edge-case, especially on these English-speaking forums, but yeah, just a bit of clarification.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Weird, did you call and speak to someone or was it all automated?

When it first started happening some people in multiple regions were still being charged and had to actually call to speak with an agent to ask for the money to be refunded, which was apparently successful.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think my favorite thing to do is explore the sky. Trying to figure out how to get to different islands is pretty satisfying.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Weird, did you call and speak to someone or was it all automated?

When it first started happening some people in multiple regions were still being charged and had to actually call to speak with an agent to ask for the money to be refunded, which was apparently successful.

Even to just initiate the repair process, I had to call and talk to an actual human rep, who was quite helpful, but yeah. The repair page on Nintendo Taiwan's official site is literally just an address, a phone number, and business hours, lol. I will say the receipt when it was returned was issued by some technology company that was not Nintendo, so it feels like they might just be contracting out repairs to some third-party company here, which is maybe why their policies don't match when Nintendo is handling it themselves. I didn't bother complaining to them about it or anything, not sure how effective that would've been.

It feels like you've gotta be in a region where Nintendo actually has enough of a presence to have their own repair infrastructure or whatnot. But anyway, sorry for the unimportant derail!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Khanstant posted:

I feel like if you watched dupe needers play it would be infinitely frustrating with how much crap they just walk by and don't pick up and then wonder why they don't have anything. Then again I guess watching a long play of anyone playing a game you have before would be just as frustrating to watch. Like playing with a controller that won't obey or do the right thing, on purpose.

They should borrow the pet/item collection thing from Diablo III and have a cucco fly off and retrieve nearby objects for you. :3:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They should have let me fuse a cucco to a shield and watch as Ganon dies to a flock of chickens, but alas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Just got Case of The Golden Idol and I don’t know immediately it seems there’s a bug where the screen is spilling beyond the borders? I can’t make out some of the text in the edges and there’s no options to adjust anything. Anyone else seen this?

:Edit: it’s okay in docked mode hmm

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 27, 2023