Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Since zefrank mentioned it…

I have never understood the “click the bell for notifications” calls outs or complaints that people can’t see when a new video comes out for channels they are subscribed to. Do people not use the Subscriptions page? What’s the point of subscribing to a channel if you just wait for new videos by them to appear in the general feed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Apparently sometimes they just don't show up on the subs page. Don't think it's happened to me but supposedly it's a thing. Clicking the bell sends notifications for an upload which is obviously more likely to get someone's attention.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Brocktoon posted:

Since zefrank mentioned it…

I have never understood the “click the bell for notifications” calls outs or complaints that people can’t see when a new video comes out for channels they are subscribed to. Do people not use the Subscriptions page? What’s the point of subscribing to a channel if you just wait for new videos by them to appear in the general feed?

Pretty sure the vast majority of youtube watchers these days are on mobile and the "notify me" feature means you get a push notification when that person uploads a video and the algorithm gives you a lot of points if a lot of people flock to watch your video very shortly after it's uploaded.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Mother's Basement and Digi respectively.

edit: It was a cult of orbiters around some PUA influencer type. I don't think there are any good sources on because the only people who are still watching digi are weird stalker types.

I wasn't aware Digibro even still made content. The last thing I remember watching was a roast of Asterisk War...7 years ago?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Sydin posted:

Pretty sure the vast majority of youtube watchers these days are on mobile and the "notify me" feature means you get a push notification when that person uploads a video and the algorithm gives you a lot of points if a lot of people flock to watch your video very shortly after it's uploaded.

I guess that makes sense, since 99% of my YouTube viewing is on my desktop or on my TV. The subscriptions page is the first place I go as soon as I open it. But I guess I am an outlier.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I wasn't aware Digibro even still made content. The last thing I remember watching was a roast of Asterisk War...7 years ago?

She’s still around, doing a lot of streaming. Seems completely done with anime analysis videos, tho lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND0Qo9bX8JU

Came across in my recs and yeah, I get it, how a horrible place can enrapture you.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Hell, I'm still reeling that they have any kind of presence, after they had to drop the 'ny' from the name when the MLP community booted them for trying to defend pedophilia.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7944VkjnTFQ

Razbuten had a neat video about DLC

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The epitome of "but the worldbuilding" to me will always be Ar Tonelico, which has a neat setting, some great music, and genuinely phenomenal conlang work. But the story itself is unbearably horny, every character is annoying, and the combat is filled with combat barks/sound effects that are so loud they blow out the levels and you can't even hear the music. And yet I'd feel ridiculous to recommend the series as though the conlangs are worth it because no, they're not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol actually got around to watching that hottest trash video and wow wow wow that "godless world" isekai is genuinely incredible in how much they clearly knew they couldn't pull off what they wanted to do, and just mashed something together anyways. it's at this timestamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIPJaiVcjoo&hd=1&t=1229s

also the kizuna ai nft anime is also pretty bad yeah, but everyone already heard about that one. I didn't know about the terrible isekai where they use live-action footage run through a horrible anime filter and then literally staple an unblinking cutout of a character's face on the head of the real person driving a tractor to represent that character. just amazing

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All I know about Ar Tonelico is that one of your party members was either the second in command for the final boss or just some minion and defects when they find out that your goals have changed and you're not trying to kill their mom anymore.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Brocktoon posted:

I guess that makes sense, since 99% of my YouTube viewing is on my desktop or on my TV. The subscriptions page is the first place I go as soon as I open it. But I guess I am an outlier.

It seems weird to me as well. I have a hard time internalizing that personal computers never really grew out of being a niche. For the vast majority of people, smart phones are their primary computing device.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
This isn't the first YTP making fun of PragerU, but goddamn if it this creator didn't make one of the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gTOl5BTbEY

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Anyone knows any good book based creators who look at interesting or gimmick based books? I've been watching this video and it scratches an itch but still not enough. The guy is quite balanced on his review and does not just blindly recommend stuff and explains why some things work or don't

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKX90LbnYd4

i've been watching a lot of book youtube stuff recently and cloudcuckoocountry is my favorite! there's some other good ones out there, but they don't have the same combo of analysis and presentation and subject matter choice. i also don't think I know of any that have done a similar Weird Gimmick Book explorations. but! if your definition of interesting includes "books that insanely bad" then you're in luck because roasting bad books is just as popular as roasting any other bad media on youtube. anyway im going to embed some videos now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57vi_7wMJ-w
Cardinal West is I think the closest to CCC in terms of, uh... most things. even the being a furry. even the having a vid on really bad, weirdly sexual bird-based book bit. unfortunately the similarities also include having less videos in the backlog than i'd want. he's mostly focused on xenofiction, but his vid on the reynard cycles is cool and presumably the saint guinefort one is good, i just haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEtf8PKWvyo&t=3910s
i need everyone to click the embed and watch from the timestamp for like a minute. lmao. insane. anyway crow caller does the classic "talk about bad thing for 1~3 hour" video, but she picks some real weird stuff sometimes and that's always fun. there's a lot booktubers (who i like) that do the same popular tiktok books, but only crow caller has one on the anti-god vaccine christian hot air ballooning book. also i had to link her because i love posting that timestamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfyxIPCCshY
Better Than Food is shorter reviews of exclusively books that he think are really good. i don't watch him a lot because i feel like his vibes are off, but he did get me to read A Cup of Rage, which ruled, so i gotta link him. one read = one link. simple math. also i gotta make up for all the negativity that almost everyone else in this post puts out.

i like the rest of these people, but i think they're even less likely to be exactly what you're looking for. they tend do a lot of the "making fun of popular tiktok books" things:
Reads With Rachel also likes to cover books by fundamentalist christians because she was raised as one. also a buuunch of videos about author drama that swing between like "was a creep on tiktok" to "double homicide". i don't usually watch those.
Marines is cool because she gave the dresden files one star. idk i like her vibe. solid.
cindy is someone i haven't watched as much of as the other folks but she's been pretty funny and i think her delivery and attitude stand out
lou reading things is a brazilian human rights attorney so you get interesting real life updates about politics in brazil in between videos about how lightlark sucks

in general if you throw a stone you will hit a booktuber who has made a video about how lightlark is bad. it's the universal constant. if at any point you, the generic reader, ever need to find a new booktuber to try out, you can just search "lightlark" and click on one at random. you will die of old age before you run out of content.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sardonik posted:

This isn't the first YTP making fun of PragerU, but goddamn if it this creator didn't make one of the best:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gTOl5BTbEY

hahaha Penis Prager saying "First: All students are now trans. This includes Asians" is cracking me right up.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

fun hater posted:

ive never understood this sentiment but i think its because theres a type of person out there i havent met yet who is unbearable about this. whats the deal with worldbuilding

its like a random guy who wants to tell you about his homebrew DND setting but he’s just a brandon sanderson fan whose standard of quality is exclusively based around how many pages you spend explaining your world’s unique magic system

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Like any storytelling technique, there are better and worse ways of handling it. The whole point of speculative fiction is that it’s not set in the real world, so the differences between the story’s world and ours have to be revealed to the reader somehow. If the writer is doing too much telling and not enough showing, that’s a separate issue and it probably extends to the rest of the book as well.

Dan Olson touches on this in his Earthsea video as just one of the ways the movie hosed up. The books use the behaviour of the characters to gradually demonstrate the rules of the fantasy world they inhabit, while the movie just has them constantly explaining stuff to each other.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The problem with "world building" is not actually an author having a coherent fictional world. The problem is that due to the nature of nerd culture if the first thing someone tells you about a work is that "it has great world building" it actually doesn't mean it has a well communicated believable world. It means the work is going to point blank exposit as you about magic rules that are clearly a failed ttrpg system or a whole lot of very dry political mumbo jumbo. Frequently the details given will actually make the world less believable because it reveals the author has little idea how people work.

This is particularly true of shows Mother's Basement recommends. If he says it has good world building it actually has a very badly communicated world.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
A look back at the original Wing Commander (and expansions), the original space sim without which we wouldn't have X-Wing/Tie Fighter, Privateer, Freespace, Colony Wars, Starlancer/Freelancer, and of course the endless scam that is Star Citizen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z7EBLrFp6U

Also some coverage of the console ports and the obscure Super Wing Commander remake but no mention of the sequels which get the bulk of the attention due to their cinematic story ambition, nothing about the short lived TV series, or the movie starring Freddie Prinze Jr.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 27, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crjxpZHv7Hk
Making a 100% pure, lab grade chocolate chip cookie.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Anyone who wants to know what good worldbuilding is should look at the Trails series, because it also has good characters that make you care about the world they're in.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Captain Invictus posted:

lol actually got around to watching that hottest trash video and wow wow wow that "godless world" isekai is genuinely incredible in how much they clearly knew they couldn't pull off what they wanted to do, and just mashed something together anyways. it's at this timestamp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIPJaiVcjoo&hd=1&t=1229s

This is actually a great example of why I avoid MB's recommendations, even for dumpster diving. I've seen a bit of Kamikatsu after seeing the shitposts about its horrendous animation, and yeah, that's true it looks terrible. But Geoff focuses entirely on that and the batshit premise and doesn't discuss stuff like "buff knight dude who gets transformed into a woman and proceeds to become the butt of sex jokes nudity and fetish humiliation" which made me put the series down because I don't need that. Not even a mention from Geoff.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
There’s a group of people who have convinced themselves that the quality of a work’s story or setting can be determined by how detailed its Fandom wiki is or how many hour-long “SECRET LORE REVEALED!” YouTube videos have been made about it, and they never really get any less annoying. The wikification of fandom isn’t something I gave much thought to as it was happening, but now that it’s actually affecting how stuff is made I want to go back and wipe it from existence.

Lore conveyed by two-sentence item descriptions is not a story, no matter how many of them there are! Stop pretending it’s deep!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bravesword posted:

There’s a group of people who have convinced themselves that the quality of a work’s story or setting can be determined by how detailed its Fandom wiki is or how many hour-long “SECRET LORE REVEALED!” YouTube videos have been made about it, and they never really get any less annoying. The wikification of fandom isn’t something I gave much thought to as it was happening, but now that it’s actually affecting how stuff is made I want to go back and wipe it from existence.

Lore conveyed by two-sentence item descriptions is not a story, no matter how many of them there are! Stop pretending it’s deep!

sorry but fromsoft game worldbuilding owns

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know the difference between worldbuilding and setting. The insane death race world of Mad Max seems easy enough to look at and go 'Wow, I bet you can tell some crazy stories in that world even if Max didn't show up at any point in them. I wonder if there's anything involving some group getting a plane in enough working order to fly again. Or maybe there's a gang that's salvaged a bunch of carnival equipment and we see a ferris wheel full of psychos throwing exploding spears or something'

But I'm getting the impression that worldbuilding has been corrupted and does not actually mean 'the thing you're watching is fun and also makes it easy to imagine other fun things happening somewhere else without making the first one less interesting'

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Andrast posted:

sorry but fromsoft game worldbuilding owns

Yeah Fromsoft does it right because each description tells you just enough. It's the imitators that screw it up.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The reason the item description-based world building in from soft games works is that From Is willing to commit to a story that has concluded in large part long before the player picks up a controller.

Imitator Soulslikes nearly always fall into a trap of trying to create a narrative that is overtly, empowering and exciting in the present, because that's much easier to use templates for and requires a lot less considered effort, and is also more appealing to general audiences. If you try to use item descriptions to build out a story that is still ongoing, it comes off weak and poseur-ish.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Latest Chrontendo!

ngl, I howled when I saw this tweet

https://twitter.com/Chrontendo/status/1635398311325872130

because he then explained that this could entertain a small child for like 10 minutes. Which is right! I finished the whole game as a kid and I was small enough to be spooked by the loud as hell first notes of the intro. It's an ugly pile of poo poo, but I paid like 6000 escudos in 1994 for the multicart that had that and robocop 2.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Anyone who wants to know what good worldbuilding is should look at the Trails series, because it also has good characters that make you care about the world they're in.

This. The amount of detail that goes into those games is amazing, both for major characters and even the minor NPCs you never have to talk to.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 27, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bravesword posted:

I feel like you're mixing up two very different things, here.

Mock Turtle
Jul 19, 2022

idk if it is the type of nerds I hang out with but I've never associated people talking about world building with :words: as much as a vague je ne sais quoi factor important to that sort of fiction, like how all the elements coalesce into a World

lore is absolutely tainted to me though lol, videos about "lore" often feel on par with ENDING EXPLAINED-style mill content. that being said I will throw on a vaati video every now and again to get a story I already know explained to me but worse because he has a good voice to keep in the chore rotation, so who am I to say,

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

World building is essential for making a setting not feel like it only exists for the protagonists and the people they know. It can also to help make mysteries more interesting if the world is well defined. Granted it won't fix poor writing, but it certainly can enhance it if done right.

Isekais don't give a poo poo about world builiding and you get dumb poo poo like dungeons being a natural phenomenon instead of a label applied to a broad array of locations that wouldn't actually make sense to use outside the context of a game. What makes dungeons interesting is their history and how they ended up in that state. Everything is just genericized with no thought put into the setting.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Schwarzwald posted:

I feel like you're mixing up two very different things, here.

Not really? The attitude that if you stack up enough bits of trivia about the work into a pile, that necessarily results in Good Story or Compelling Setting is the thing that always irks me.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

bravesword posted:

Not really? The attitude that if you stack up enough bits of trivia about the work into a pile, that necessarily results in Good Story or Compelling Setting is the thing that always irks me.

Sure, but that attitude exists entirely in the minds of the kind of fan that writes or reads those kind of wiki. It doesn't reflect the presence or absence of a story in the game itself.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Isekais don't give a poo poo about world builiding and you get dumb poo poo like dungeons being a natural phenomenon instead of a label applied to a broad array of locations that wouldn't actually make sense to use outside the context of a game. What makes dungeons interesting is their history and how they ended up in that state. Everything is just genericized with no thought put into the setting.

I hate this so much. There are a lot of bad fantasy tropes that I can tolerate, but the idea of dungeons being this normal, routine thing that people visit all the time like they’re commuting to work is just lame. Even in actual video games it’s annoying when they’re laid out in a nonsense pattern that exists purely to force the player to walk through the whole thing with no regard to its supposed in-universe function.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

IShallRiseAgain posted:

World building is essential for making a setting not feel like it only exists for the protagonists and the people they know. It can also to help make mysteries more interesting if the world is well defined. Granted it won't fix poor writing, but it certainly can enhance it if done right.

Worldbuilding also lets you inform your audience without having to speak to them directly. Things like even a standardized uniform or rank system tells the audience where a new character fits in to the existing structure, or even outside it, by just looking at them.

Or, say, something like how runes or gestures operate a magic system. Once you present what makes a Fire spell, you make the audience feel engaged watching the buildup to one without having to state what's happening.

It also helps build your story too, because the rules and setting details you make give a foundation for what might make some big event carry weight.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Worldbuilding and lore are fake. I don't care about the Grand Whoozot of Howdunnit and what he did in the year blobbity bloo if I don't give a gently caress about what's going on in the first place. Everyone I know complained about Rings of Power's "worldbuilding" and all I was thinking when I was watching it was that I was bored stiff whenever there wasn't either a dwarf or a hobbit onscreen because nobody was interesting to watch.

Here's Mad Max's worldbuilding - the world's gone to poo poo, we love driving lovely cars and Australian slang now. Fury Road is the best movie of all time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Bleach is always my go to example for bad world building. Every single important character is crammed in the same city, because that's literally the only place that exists. How do ghosts get sick? gently caress you for asking.

You can also tell Disney got scared of years of jokes about the Galactic Senate scenes because there's a noticeable aversion in the Star Wars sequels toward the characters acknowledging the setting or political state of the world at all. What planets just got blown up in The Force Awakens? Who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Setting is having weird aliens in the background of the Mos Eisley cantina to establish that they are common and not everyone is human , World building is the EU spending multiple books telling stories about how they were all secret jedi or some bullshit.