Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

ulvir posted:

I don't understand where this insane obsession over eurovision came from. it's just a dumb contest with bad music. literally every song will be forgotten after a week, tops

it's a fun evening op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Falukorv posted:

gently caress people in english-speaking internet forums (including SA on GBS) are salty about Swedens win. Ngl it gets pretty unhinged.
It's not about Sweden winning, it's about the anti-democratic attitude that has taken over the EBU, which is really just a reflection of a larger elitist trend in society. That's what people are actually reacting to.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Is the outrage more or less unhinged, than when the tyrannical, mega-racist, swedish state, with its super corrupt justice system, unjustly and unwarranted put asap rocky in jail, after he and his entourage simply and innocently defended themselves, by circle-beating and bottle smashing two afghan immigrant kids?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I enjoyed the international my-friends-perfidious-swede-mom-wont-feed-me-calypse of last year (double last year?)

Hallå jag fattar inte liksom typ

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Beeswax posted:

Ten years ago and I still think about it:

Well it was only the best post in the history of the internet.

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I enjoyed the international my-friends-perfidious-swede-mom-wont-feed-me-calypse of last year (double last year?)

Hallå jag fattar inte liksom typ

We're not feeding our guests because we need the food for our Eurovision-contestants. Can't argue with results!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not about Sweden winning, it's about the anti-democratic attitude that has taken over the EBU, which is really just a reflection of a larger elitist trend in society. That's what people are actually reacting to.

Some people sounded legit deranged in that thread though.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

His Divine Shadow posted:

Isn't that true for all of something awful?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
when there are batteries thrown, give me a ringy dingy

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

One does not exclude the other. You can react like a crazy person to a legit issue, or in this case basically a non-issue shaped like a real issue, which is like half of what I see GBS do*. The other half is reacting like a crazy person to a non-issue.

*Mind, I only see the crazy people coming into SAD.

e: At least Sweden winnings means Denmark will wins in 2024.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 16, 2023

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Theres alot to criticize the jury for, but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater. That decade with just televotes had alot of bad top 10's. People act like eurovision always was "democratic", when televoting only became a thing from 1998 onwards, it was all jury before then. I could buy the pure democratic argument if it worked closer to a real election, 1 person 1 vote etc. but televoting can be easily couped and manipulated. Not much of an representative democracy when it 1) costs money to vote 2. anyone can vote 20 times.

The 2 most popular songs ended up in the top 2, one of them the jury liked less. hard to be up in arms about this

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 16, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Falukorv posted:

Theres alot to criticize the jury for, but lets not throw out the baby with the bathwater. That decade with just televotes had alot of bad top 10's. People act like eurovision always was "democratic", when televoting only became a thing from 1998 onwards, it was all jury before then. I could buy the pure democratic argument if it worked closer to a real election, 1 person 1 vote etc. but televoting can be easily couped and manipulated. Not much of an representative democracy when it 1) costs money to vote 2. anyone can vote 20 times.
It's not about being good though. But yes, it should be public only, with a single free ranked choice ballot for every participating country.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
People dont know what they want, gently caress the people

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

von Braun posted:

People dont know what they want, gently caress the people
But op, that's how you get more people, and therefore more problems.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
would be interesting to see the data on who got most indivudal massvotes vs. single votes from a broader number of people.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 17, 2023

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

ulvir posted:

I don't understand where this insane obsession over eurovision came from. it's just a dumb contest with bad music. literally every song will be forgotten after a week, tops

Jag ska aldrig glömma att Cha Cha Cha :colbert:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

:psyduck:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Isn't the entire western half of the country physically untouched by the war?
Still it's a weird fuckin sentiment

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The Ukrainian hospitals will surely love having to treat clueless tourists for accidents and war-related trauma, not like they’re busy as it is.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

jeebus bob posted:

Russia occasionally sends missiles to the western edge of the country.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Russia occasionally sends missiles to the western edge of the country.

Yeah, but it's hardly more dangerous than going to USA where they might just shoot you. Talking to my coworker in Lviv, he just kinda goes about his life mostly like normal, except with draft dodgy activities and unable to leave the country.

I don't think it's the dumbest thing, but also the competition is pretty tough in Danish media for that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

BonHair posted:

Yeah, but it's hardly more dangerous than going to USA where they might just shoot you. Talking to my coworker in Lviv, he just kinda goes about his life mostly like normal, except with draft dodgy activities and unable to leave the country.

I don't think it's the dumbest thing, but also the competition is pretty tough in Danish media for that.

F. eks. anything in BT

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

"Hardly more dangerous than going to the US" is damning with faint praise.

The foreign ministry also categories the entire country as extremely high risk, encouraging people to seek professional assistance if they decide to go there. Plus they've apparently got curfews, which would put a cramp on most holidays. I would definitely expect most Danish tourists to end up getting jailed and then deported, for failing to adhere to sensible precautions, even if it's easy enough for locals to deal with the issues the country is facing at the moment.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Professional as in a shrink, or body guard?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I would definitely expect most Danish tourists to end up getting jailed

TFW you pronounce palianytsia extremely wrong.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Apparently "rødgrød med fløde" loosely translates into Ukrainian as "Glorious Shoigu shall reign over Kiev"

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

jeebus bob posted:

BonHair posted:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I can just see tourists loudly complaining about the Russians the next table over.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/moderaterna/status/1662048248712904704?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

Swedish government with the important issues at the forefront.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The first 50 years of his reign

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

I'm sorry, whenever I see a picture of Knugen, I start hearing what sounds remarkably like radio-static for some reason.

Also, yeah, "first fifty years" Jesus Christ. They probably have some eldritch brain-parasite ready to puppet him so he can just keep going and going and going.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

This is the only picture I've ever seen that does his royal highness justice and the one that appears in my minds eye anytime he is mentioned.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nidhg00670000 posted:

This is the only picture I've ever seen that does his royal highness justice and the one that appears in my minds eye anytime he is mentioned.
Well now that's 2 of us lmbo

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Krigarknugen

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I know the rent is in arrears
Kungen wants a day for fifty years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright

Cows are giving kerosene
Kids can’t read unless on screens
The words he knows are all obscene
But it's alright

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://politiken.dk/indland/art9370995/Enhedslisten-fjerner-afskaffelse-af-milit%C3%A6ret-fra-principprogram

quote:

Enhedslistens medlemmer har mandag på partiets årsmøde i København stemt for at fjerne formuleringerne fra principprogrammet om at ville nedlægge militæret og melde Danmark ud af Nato.

[...]

Foruden ændringerne om militæret og Nato har Enhedslistens medlemmer på årsmødet i Hafnia-Hallen også vedtaget at fjerne en formulering i principprogrammet om, at partiet støtter en dansk udmeldelse af EU og en nedlæggelse af EU.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/1buyingrdcasual/status/1662841551662333956?s=46&t=c-ffm5kJjr0whoCYtsL5tw

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Reminds me of that Totalpetroleum-sketch, where the different Danish Communist parties are debating what to do with the corpse of Leonid Bresjnev.

I've always agreed on embalming and hanging him, in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
This is what enhedslisten put in the program: "Vores mål er at Danmark skal stå uden for NATO og andre militære stormagtsalliancer. Men det forudsætter en ny sikkerhedsarkitektur på nordisk, europæisk og internationalt plan, samt en styrkelse og demokratisering af FN og fælles sikkerhedspolitiske fora som OSCE. Så længe Danmark er medlem af NATO, arbejder Enhedslisten imod NATOs bidrag til angrebskrige og rustningskapløb. Enhedslisten arbejder for at omdanne det danske forsvar til et nationalt territorialforsvar frem for en interventionsstyrke, der er indrettet til angrebskrige."

It replaced something lke 'we are working to get out of nato and to shut down the danish military".

Seems like a more nuanced stance to me, considering that the only adversary of consequence is no longer a communist state which, at least in theory (though not practice) used to have similar values to enhedslisten. I'm not an expert on the vagaries of russian aggression though. As per usual, there is a circular firing squad forming in the idiot/stalinist part of the party of course.