Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

You'll be able to buy it for 33% off in only two years!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Paradox if you need money just pull the lever labeled “TRAIN PACK DLCs”. Thank you

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

again, a monetary policy dlc would sell like mad

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Dramicus posted:

Sure, that's great in theory, but if it keeps up like this, I'll not be buying any of their DLC going forward. Because, why would I when I get all the features in the patch? I'm not complaining, this will make my wallet happy. However, I wonder how effective it will be to release content-bare dlcs for high prices while putting everything interesting in free patches. It doesn't seem like a sustainable long-term business plan.

Why would this concern you at all

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm not worried about not having to buy dlc tbh

Takanago posted:

Paradox if you need money just pull the lever labeled “TRAIN PACK DLCs”. Thank you

Paradox should be thanking you for this one. Cosmetic train dlc
Get someone to model 5 low poly trains from the era to trundle around on the map, sell for a tenner.
Repeat every month.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Jackie D posted:

Why would this concern you at all

Because I don't want Vicky 3 to end up like Imperator: Rome. I like the game and I don't want PDX to drop it because it's not profitable. I want lots of content for it for a long time.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Paying $10 for a green train that travels between Newcastle and Liverpool only for the years of 1880-1886

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Sure, that's great in theory, but if it keeps up like this, I'll not be buying any of their DLC going forward. Because, why would I when I get all the features in the patch? I'm not complaining, this will make my wallet happy. However, I wonder how effective it will be to release content-bare dlcs for high prices while putting everything interesting in free patches. It doesn't seem like a sustainable long-term business plan.

Dramicus posted:

Because I don't want Vicky 3 to end up like Imperator: Rome. I like the game and I don't want PDX to drop it because it's not profitable. I want lots of content for it for a long time.

Tragedy of the commons strikes again. Perhaps that can be the theme of a DLC.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Quixzlizx posted:

Tragedy of the commons strikes again. Perhaps that can be the theme of a DLC.

Is it really so bad to want a company to put out a good product for a reasonable price? I just want them to put out DLC that is good and sells well. Everyone wins.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This was only pitched as a flavor pack though. A full-rear end expansion is coming next, albeit not until early next year.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Is it really so bad to want a company to put out a good product for a reasonable price? I just want them to put out DLC that is good and sells well. Everyone wins.

Except they are overall putting out a good product, it's just that they're giving away more of it for free than they used to. So it's actually a more consumer-friendly business model than it used to be, everything else being equal. So if you truly wanted to support the long-term support of Victoria 3, then you'd still buy the DLC.

I'm not trying to shame anyone into spending money to support a corporation's profit margins, I just found it funny to hear you anxious-posting about whether the game will be supported while simultaneously refusing to purchase the "supporter packs."

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There is a world where they put out a good free patch & a good paid dlc. Right now we have a lackluster DLC with a good patch. It's not rocket science to extrapolate that if future DLCs are similarly received by the consumer base that fewer people will buy them, making it harder to pay for those good patches.

Or, Paradox could just switch to an open-source donation model and put everything out for free.

Also: I've technically bought the DLC because I got the grand whatever pack. I still don't think it's good value.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 26, 2023

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I'm fine with buying DLC mainly as support for continued development of the game. It's just that $15 is a whole lot to ask for this specific kind of DLC though. I liked pretty much everything in the DLC, it just needed more to it to be worth $15. Not mechanics or anything like that, but just...I dunno, take some of the France specific flavor and see what could be reworked into generic/similar frameworks for other countries without much work and throw it in there. Maybe you'll have to rework it later sure, but then just lower the price of the old dlc.

vvv. I don't have a problem with it being a DLC about France, it's that it's $15. Even among other Paradox DLC, that's a fair bit above average for the content included. Usually it's at least a regional thing. Like if they'd included some flavor for France-related countries.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 26, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they haven’t actually released a content DLC yet. They released one about France and now people are upset it was only about France.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they haven’t actually released a content DLC yet. They released one about France and now people are upset it was only about France.

Well, according to paradox, it wasn't their intention to make a France pack. It's supposed to have a wider focus but it ended up being mostly just a France pack.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Basically this, yes. Probably not $15 worth of French content at that.

Personally, I think it's fine to not buy it if you don't like the content, and it's good that meaningful gameplay mechanics weren't locked behind the DLC just to make it worth it.

I understand concerns about Victoria 3 being profitable and continuing development, but if you're really worried you can buy the DLC primarily as a way of supporting the game development.

Two completely fine and reasonable options depending on how you feel.

Or you could take the third option of getting worked up about abstract things you have no control over, which honestly sounds exhausting to me.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Is there a reliable way to keep major powers the gently caress out of your diplomatic plays mid to late game? I try to annex a 2-province subject, and the next thing I know there is so much anachronistic slavic hard bass playing in the rainforest the loving Andes fall over

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Is there a reliable way to keep major powers the gently caress out of your diplomatic plays mid to late game? I try to annex a 2-province subject, and the next thing I know there is so much anachronistic slavic hard bass playing in the rainforest the loving Andes fall over

Mostly just keep your relations with the offending party as high as possible and having various agreements with them will lower, but not totally eliminate, the chance of them intervening. You can also wait until they are busy with their own political play before launching yours. They can't stick their finger in your pie if it's already stuck in another one.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Reliable? not really, the closest thing besides the above's "have good relations and low/no infamy" is just be so overwhelmingly powerful they routinely back down and/or are easily bullied in a short war

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

While I do think it's appropriate to have powers taking an interest in potentially spicy situations, having Austria kramering into Southeastern Asia because the sultanate of Aceh has somehow become a highly important strategic matter will never stop being funny af

(and on that topic, what the gently caress. Austria in my games has managed to do some seriously hilarious landings, in one of them they managed to nab a treaty port in China)

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
I just finished my first game playing as Russia and I have some questions.

How much should I be investing into construction sectors? By the end of the game I had about 800 sectors built which feels like a lot but I also could have supported way more.

In general, should I turn on auto expand for my buildings, I was afraid to early on as I was worried the game wouldn't do a good job managing the growth.

Where should I be spending my extra money? Throughout most of the game I had over 100k in income and full cash reserves but aside from more construction there wasn't a lot I needed to use it on.

I was never in a good place to switch my education to public schools so my literacy suffered, aside from literacy, is there a way to increase my innovation cap?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

ilitarist posted:

Ah yes, another issue with agriculture is that it will be owned by aristocrats, they get more money and power and then they'll block any law change because they like Feudalism.

I really appreciate how this game turns squishy vaguely conservative players into frothing communists screaming for the blood of the aristocrats

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Spaseman posted:

I just finished my first game playing as Russia and I have some questions.

How much should I be investing into construction sectors? By the end of the game I had about 800 sectors built which feels like a lot but I also could have supported way more.

In general, should I turn on auto expand for my buildings, I was afraid to early on as I was worried the game wouldn't do a good job managing the growth.

Where should I be spending my extra money? Throughout most of the game I had over 100k in income and full cash reserves but aside from more construction there wasn't a lot I needed to use it on.

I was never in a good place to switch my education to public schools so my literacy suffered, aside from literacy, is there a way to increase my innovation cap?

If your budget is green, build more. If the GDP line isn't vertical, build more. There will never come a time where you cannot sustain infinite growth, right?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm trying to play for the first time since they added the thing that has half your construction queue build things completely out of your control and I think I hate it? It seems like what its building is complete nonsense and I dont like the game just randomly decide to put a building I dont want/need in a state I dont want it in. Is it actually good somehow?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

If you aren't up to micromanaging your queue yourself, it actually does a decent job overall of handling supply and changes to situations. Like once you're going for awhile it keeps you expanding without you unexpectedly hitting any shortages or anything except by the causes of your own action. I find it useful cause I like to stack the queue with a ton of buildings so the private queue can react to market changes quicker rather than me having to go in and manually sort stuff to the front. Like, it isn't perfect but it does the job well enough to let you focus more on specific goals. And if you really hate it, it's a game option you can turn off.

Edit: You'll be more efficient without it of course, but I think it's nice to not have to pause or play on slow speed all the time (until the game crawls to a halt anyway)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I really appreciate how this game turns squishy vaguely conservative players into frothing communists screaming for the blood of the aristocrats
I don't know, it often turns me into a raging liberal- expand the market! Keep the workers placated so they produce more! Who really cares about the sovereignty of other nations- if they're the only source of oil my economy demands their submission!

The thing is liberals and communists alike despise the aristocrats.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
I don't mind auto building as it can really juice up your economy quickly while you focus on the infrastructure, I just wish it would keep track of profit for each building and expand it when the profit passed the construction cost, that way if I organize my industry by state it will keep growing instead of becoming a huge mess late game where everything is everyone.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
While the investment queue is still doing poo poo like building too many art colleges, I'm more of the opinion that you should use manual mode but also be a lot more aggressive about auto-expand, especially since if you're doing a migration game you will legitimately be unable to keep employing all those new peasants coming in and thus might as well let the computer handle it

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Eiba posted:

The thing is liberals and communists alike despise the aristocrats.

Like the excellent Imperialism I and II, the game is basically a Das Kapital simulator (or rather Das Kapital as further developed by Lenin’s theories of Imperialism). It owns.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dramicus posted:

There is a world where they put out a good free patch & a good paid dlc.

this is a really good idea and honestly it's pretty worrying that paradox didn't think of it

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
any pro tips for how to annex all these puppets I've accumulated, since I end up with all the radicals and turmoil scorched earth? Love being forced to annex peruvolivia because they loving refuse to build a single sulfur mine.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

any pro tips for how to annex all these puppets I've accumulated, since I end up with all the radicals and turmoil scorched earth? Love being forced to annex peruvolivia because they loving refuse to build a single sulfur mine.

Gotta be another diplomatic play and then a shitton of russians turn up afaik, been having the same issue

Might restart and ramp up the military earlier idk

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The issue for me is that I can annex no problem/perfidious outside great powers interfering, but the states just turn into dead weight with all the pops being radical and every state 50%+ turnoil.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

BBJoey posted:

this is a really good idea and honestly it's pretty worrying that paradox didn't think of it hasn't put out any quality dlc yet

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

The issue for me is that I can annex no problem/perfidious outside great powers interfering, but the states just turn into dead weight with all the pops being radical and every state 50%+ turnoil.

Might be a cultural mismatch, or restrictive laws/a lower standard of living?

If not they're probably overrun with landowners and whatnot, so you might have to just do some deft population management

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Purge the heretical landlord filth, got it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

Purge the heretical landlord filth, got it.

:hai:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Asproigerosis posted:

Let your infamy trickle down first so they don't start so spiked on turmoil?

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
On the same topic, playing end game USA and had just finished punching the uk in the junk to liberate Canada and took the West Indies as well because why not. A few weeks later British Guiana starts a revolt play against the uk which I decide to back. Their revolt play causes the West Indies to go all revolutionary on me,and join their brothers to the south as one nation. The kicker is that this caused the play against the uk to end and for my proletarian wonder state to now be the subject of a revolution play by the United Afro-Caribbean state.

Just weird all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Let your infamy trickle down first so they don't start so spiked on turmoil?

It's at 0 lmao. I think it's just a really bad culture discrimination thing between Brazil and peru/bolivia.