Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Somehow I missed this thread until just now, belated welcome and cheers to your freedom!

e: man that was a lovely new page snipe, so here's a question I don't think has been asked yet: did your prison conduct any Scared Straight programs and did you ever participate in them? Multiple studies have shown they don't work and may be counterproductive at worst, but that sure doesn't stop the :clint:tough on crime:clint: types from running them.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I think I posted this in the wrong thread lol

Private Cumshoe fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 27, 2023

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Glad to hear you’re getting outside and enjoying some of the simple pleasures we take for granted.

You seem as well-adjusted as someone can be given your circumstances. The revolving door of ex or soon to be cons I was exposed to growing up were all angry bitter men I did not enjoy being around.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I’m only up to page 7 so forgive me if this is mentioned but you should check out this thing called internet piracy. Basically everything is free now. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Ask your cousin about BitTorrent, private trackers, seedboxes, and VPNs to get started. :yarr:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mutantIke posted:

member of that very few checking in (college sophomore)

i am also 21 next month

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Get two telephone lines so you can both call people and use the internet.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Cheers to these young goons who will inherit these forums when all of us olds are finally dead :cheerdoge:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
My posts will live on forever

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I just realized that you may have missed out on the revelation that UFOs are real. In 2017 the US Navy admitted to chasing a bunch of them around Catalina Island in 2004 (plus at least two other incidences), and nobody knows what the gently caress they are or where they come from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFxZEm2wMl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpeSpA3e56A

And if UFO stuff in general is of any interest to you, this new documentary about a case that occurred in Brazil in 1996 is loving bonkers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE7hVSlk7Zw

I guess what I’m getting at is that you should spend some time outside at night enjoying the stars now that you are afforded that luxury, because you might see some super weird poo poo.

Also, if you haven’t seen it, Breaking Bad is the best TV show of all time.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 27, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
"UFOs are real" is just objectively a dumb statement. Of course they are real, that just means there was something in the air they couldn't identify.

No even remotely reputable source anywhere actually thinks aliens are involved, which is the implication.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

"UFOs are real" is just objectively a dumb statement. Of course they are real, that just means there was something in the air they couldn't identify.

No even remotely reputable source anywhere actually thinks aliens are involved, which is the implication.

Just as a heads-up OP, if you want to talk about UFOs online you’ll meet a lot of simpletons like this poster. They’re called “debunkers” and they routinely pull vindictive, nonsensical arguments out of the ether in misguided attempts to “dunk” on those of us who have seen them IRL.

IRL means “in real life,” BTW. (They’re real.)

(And they’re from outer space.)

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I legitimately can't tell if that's brain damage or trolling, but :discourse:

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

I recommend watching RedLetterMedia on YouTube and joining us in the RLM thread.

https://youtube.com/@RedLetterMedia

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

XYZAB posted:

I’m only up to page 7 so forgive me if this is mentioned but you should check out this thing called internet piracy. Basically everything is free now. Don’t listen to anyone who tells you otherwise. Ask your cousin about BitTorrent, private trackers, seedboxes, and VPNs to get started. :yarr:

"Hello, goon who's just gotten out of prison. You know what you should check out? Crime."

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

I legitimately can't tell if that's brain damage or trolling, but :discourse:

Look, I get it, you’re trying to backseat moderate this thread to stop people from tricking OP into believing nonsensical things because there’s a big stick up your butt and you like that stick right where it is. But there’s a big difference between trying to trick someone to believe that LOL means “lots of laughs” (which is spiteful and antisocial, not to mention completely irredeemable in the eyes of society) and letting someone know that the US gov’t has admitted that UFOs are real, they are from space, and that they are piloted by greasy brown 3’ tall monsters with big red eyes and they smell like cat piss (which is 100% fact you haven’t even watched the documentary yet), and which it seems you are jealous to have been left out of the memo on.

Well guess what? Jealousy’s a disease, and I hope you get well soon. ;-*

See what I mean, OP? Total party poopers.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Yeah I've seen UFOs

Underground Fisting Orgies

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Can I get one of our two Brazilian goons to back me up on the 100% completely factual cat piss alien story from 1996?? Plz tia. I’m being surrounded on all flanks by angry flat earthers in here.

Angry Avocado
Jun 6, 2010
Another goon chiming in to say they found this thread through Twitter. Almost everyone there seems to adore you, which is a real rarity on that viper's nest of a website.

Also, after you have your gaming PC set-up and played those games with your cousin you wanted to play together, I can recommend a game called Subnautica, which is about exploring the ocean on an alien planet. You mentioned liking books about the ocean, and this game comes closest to capturing that feeling of vastness and beauty and danger.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hey Harvey, got a film recommendation for you:

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Given what you’ve said, I think you’ll love it…then be sad that it never got a sequel.

Jesus Christ, how can it be 20 years old already. gently caress.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

XYZAB posted:

Can I get one of our two Brazilian goons to back me up on the 100% completely factual cat piss alien story from 1996?? Plz tia. I’m being surrounded on all flanks by angry flat earthers in here.

The cat piss alien is real, and my friend

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sentinel Red posted:

Hey Harvey, got a film recommendation for you:

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

Given what you’ve said, I think you’ll love it…then be sad that it never got a sequel.

Jesus Christ, how can it be 20 years old already. gently caress.

This is a great recommendation for everyone but especially our boy Harvey who loves books about large boats. The books are excellent in a similar way - mostly boring but with impeccable vibes and surprisingly (though not completely) not racist.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
if you'd like to know more about the economic turmoil across the pond I recommend Pounded by the Pound: Turned Gay by the Socioeconomic Implications of Britain Leaving the European Union

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
When I opened the thread ealier it was like, 2 pages, I read some and thought "wow, SA is both the Best/Worst choice to come to, both being fresh out & unaware of much of the internet..." but, I think we are all glad you are here, also, one of my goon friends on discord linked me the twitter, so, of course I showed her some screen captures from the thread (she can come and read it herself, she's a goon too, but sometimes I/people like to use a specific example).
You might be surprised but Goons can actually be some of the most compassionate, thoughtful people online & as you can see, we like our bullshitting and hazing as well, you are one of us now, for better or worse, and that ten bucks you spent is probably going to be one of the best deals ever.

Oh, and my name is from a boat in a book. You should read some Iain Banks & Iain M Banks, same guy, but the M is his sci-fi work.

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 27, 2023

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's a lot ton of information that we simply take for granted these days.

Wikipedia is definitely a great resource. So is YouTube, but it has equally as much garbage as useful information and will quickly start suggesting harmful channels and "info" to you based on something called an "algorithm" which seems inherently biased toward hateful content. You're going to hear a lot about how the modern internet works by getting "views" or "clicks."

poo poo's messed up even out here, Harvey. Seriously.

staberind posted:

You might be surprised but Goons can actually be some of the most compassionate, thoughtful people online & as you can see, we like our bullshitting and hazing as well, you are one of us now, for better or worse, and that ten bucks you spent is probably going to be one of the best deals ever.

Emphatically seconding this. For better or for worse, welcome aboard. I think you're going to be to fit in better than a lot of us do.

Also, definitely seconding watching Master and Commander. Excellent movie about big old boats.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 27, 2023

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
also: become used to seeing this often
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/loss this link will help explain it a little, you can also have a look around that site and it can sometimes explain the weird crap you will see now and then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qItugh-fFgg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSyrFuAydD4

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 27, 2023

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

staberind posted:

also: become used to seeing this often
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/loss this link will help explain it a little, you can also have a look around that site and it can sometimes explain the weird crap you will see now and then.

It's weird. After all these years of distance you can see that Buckley actually put some thought and effort into this. He didn't pull it off by any means, but there's still some attention to detail despite the blurred out stock photo background. Everyone was all about the background story and the B^D thing or whatever, but... It's not as egregious as I remembered

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Terrible Person posted:

It's weird. After all these years of distance you can see that Buckley actually put some thought and effort into this. He didn't pull it off by any means, but there's still some attention to detail despite the blurred out stock photo background. Everyone was all about the background story and the B^D thing or whatever, but... It's not as egregious as I remembered

Some thought? It's an out of nowhere miscarriage strip in the middle of a whacky video game guyz webcomic run, accompanied by a "miscarriage is often harder on the woman, but you should still move on and heal" screed

I think the accompanying text and general context of what CAD was is what really makes this one work, and without it, it really doesn't pack the punch it does if you've absorbed this cursed knowledge in its whole

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

skipping like 20 pages to ask what's your favorite discworld book. Mine is probably still Reaper Man

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, welcome to S.A. May God have mercy on your soul.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

What was it like to take acid in prison? I can't even imagine tripping and not being able to go outside much less being stuck in that environment, curious about your experience.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Your cousin isn’t reading the thread? I’ve been wondering if he’s going to reveal himself or not

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Just chiming in to say awesome thread harvey. I think you'll be a great fit. Your posting seems sincere and you're not easily frazzled, which is a huge plus on this website. I wouldn't dive in too deep for now, just relax, find some subforums and threads you like and bookmark them (little star in the lower left, I think threads you post in are automatically bookmarked) for easy access from the control panel and get a feel for the culture. You'll get the hang of it in no time, and you're already off to a great start.

Also, as I'm sure you've noticed, SA isn't some idyllic safe haven. There's a fair share of trolls and lovely posters and just plain old broken people here. The leper's colony (where you can see the punishments people have gotten) is full of them. Ranging from joke probes (or just to get a picture on their rapsheet or whatever, like with the 'murderer' idea you had earlier) to truly heinous poo poo. Just ignore the lovely people and reply to the cool people, and you'll be fine.

e:
PYF (Post Your Favorite) is a subforum that has a wide variety of topics whose function is to just share cool stuff. Like the Blessed pics thread is just pages and pages of things to brighten your day. You mentioned and interest in birds so just birbs might peak your interest. There's a thread for cute stuff, or of interesting historical fun facts. Here's one that's just badass.

PYF is super low entry. People generally just post pictures and videos and stuff, and the threads often get derailed by conversations that pop up, but the vibe is really laid back. A good place to lurk if you're ever bored, or to like, find uplifting videos when you're having a bad day.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 27, 2023

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

Hey man welcome, congrats on getting out.

Seconding old mate from the last page, if you find yourself with time enough to check out any wrestling come post in the Punch Sport Pagoda subforum. I don't post super regularly but it's a good little community and good at getting newcomers and lapsed watchers up to speed. A good little community that can always benefit from more people with a sense of perspective, or if you want to get super heated up over some bullshit it's great for that too. Just avoid WWE imo, it's pretty stale.

I'm sure you got a lot of poo poo to catch up on though so pace yourself and all :)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

nico its your cousin let's go bowling!

ha ha just kidding, you wont get that reference yet, it's videogame related but trust me it's a banger

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

we were usually allowed to watch the super bowl so that was cool. most guys would bet bats - cigarettes - but i;m not a gambler at all

i liked pro wrestling but that was in the late 80s. what's it like today?

i played soccer in high school and was ok at it. it has gotten bigger in the us now right?

oh man i remember umbro shorts were a fad

okay so i'm not completely finished with this thread yet so I still have stuff to catch up on but i wanna latch onto this. for my pro-wrestling and tangentially related agendas. and also to briefly touch on and confirm soccer is way bigger now in the US. from what i was told by people older than me was it was kind of considered a joke. like a frou-frou european person thing, but MLS is right up there with the other ones now, and FIFA video games sell really well too.

as for wrestling I definitely recommend checking it out. The WWF basically bought out all the US-based competition they had from the 90s. like WCW and ECW, and then it renamed itself to World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE). There was a period called the Attitude Era where the shows were edgier and more violent. and quite frankly misogynistic and stereotypical in a lot of ways that really don't hold up even if the in-ring stuff was good. And it enjoyed mainstream success in that era up to around 2008 when a lot of people were turned away from it with the Steroid scandals and CTE stuff that was revealed after Chris Benoit killed his wife, son, and himself. The industry has been clawing itself back into relevence ever since.

You had things pop up like TNA and ROH that got big as alternatives for a while, but also struggled a lot. TNA is called Impact wrestling now and changed ownership a few times because of a lot of backstage drama, much of which can be blamed on Hulk Hogan and a bunch of other guys having huge egos. ROH is now owned by this billionaire named Tony Khan who grew up watching the late 90s/early 00s wrestling who's best known for creating All Elite Wrestling with a bunch of guys who got famous in ROH and in Japan which is now the 2nd largest US-based promotion. AEW is really cool and worth checking out, some of the lore/character backgrounds might be a hard to catch up on just jumping in on a random week but that's what looking up stuff online is for.

WWE has shows on Monday, Teusday and Friday and are on USA or FOX, while AEW is on Wednesday and Friday and a couple weeks from now they'll have a show on Saturdays too on TBS and TNT (which also used to air WCW when it was on). Both also have big youtube presences and can be found on various streaming platforms. And since it's something awful and we always go back to vidya games WWE has had dozens, and AEW is releasing its first one a month from now.

A semi-related question following that I have is if you ever played games like the original Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat or Fatal Fury games back in the arcades? Fighting games have come a long way since then too. There's so many big events featuring a lot of franchises and crossovers.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Oh god, yeah, eSports are a whole thing now with sponsorships, sold out stadiums, world wide competition etc. Everything that was considered nerdy and geeky in 90s is pretty much main stream now. It's not just thar superhero movies are the biggest most profitable thing in cinema now where the release of a movie can be a world wide phenomon, it's also that being into gaming or computer stuff is just normal now.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Snowy posted:

Your cousin isn’t reading the thread? I’ve been wondering if he’s going to reveal himself or not

Seconded. Tell your cousin to dust off his account and share their experiences with the cat piss aliens, who are real, and strong, and my friends :haibrow:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

30 years... where to begin? poo poo got a lot worse constantly. we gotta team up and fix it

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.
Also I'm going to second the person who was saying the prisono cake actually sounded pretty good. sugary enough to possibly kill somebody but i'd be down for that. i love sweets and junk food. it's probably going to catch up to me more than it already has but hey, its tasty stuff.

also also uick edit but I'm just starting getting into Le Guin, i bought the first earthsea book a bit ago so its on my to do list so maybe we could talk about it some time.

Biscats n Gravy fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ve looked up recipes for nutraloaf and pruno in the past but never made them. Maybe I should get on that