Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if OP anticipated millions of people were going to read his thread. Hopefully we haven't scared him off. You still with us Harvey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

It’s the weekend he’s hopefully off on a bike ride somewhere enjoying life

The log out button is labeled the way it is for a reason

zanni
Apr 28, 2018

really been enjoying this thread and seeing your posts harvey, wishing you the best!

echoing the recommendation for playing Subnautica, and you might also enjoy Elite: Dangerous, just for the joys of exploring the vastness of space

also, some youtube recommendations:
cool dude making big swords
jazz bassist discussing music theory
video essayist discussing video games as art and tying them with other sources of media

and a zoo zoos gang tag would be really good, imo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
People watching other people play video games is somehow a huge thing now OP.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Here's something you may have missed.

Anytime governments etc ask the public for names for things, it's become a thing for people to name them x McXface where x is the thing the object does or what it is.

Govt: Help us name our new street sweeper!

Everyone: Sweepy Mcsweepface

(This one just happened)

I've also seen boaty mcboatface, etc.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/22/world/europe/boaty-mcboatface-what-you-get-when-you-let-the-internet-decide.html

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Anyone mention The Wire yet? That's probably the best TV series to come out since you were in.

The Sopranos was popular too,but the Wire was so...unexpectedly great.

E: oh gently caress, band of brothers if you're into WW2 or war stuff.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 27, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Nobody tell him about firefly

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yo Harvs, I've got another question to add to the pile for you.

I know a lot of prisoners paint, make sculptures with soap or toilet paper, etc and have sold their art for lots of cash. Did you do anything like that or know an inmate who did?

btw the zoo zoo I'm eating right now is an oatmeal cream pie

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Dear OP

Fox executives can (and will) take the sky from you. Avoid them at all costs.

:lol: that Joss Whedon is a sex pest

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Cannon_Fodder posted:

OH! Get your hands on a bicycle.

If outside is doing it for you, this poo poo rules. I discovered how much I loving loved cycling in my mid-20s but it's so low-impact that it's a sport/practice I will keep doing until I croak. I can ride 50 miles and none of my joints hurt. Running destroys me.

Plus, you can get around. If you're in rural America and poor, this is a pretty good solution.

Bicycle dairies by David Bryne is a great book.

https://www.pedestrian.tv/music/listen-david-byrnes-cycling-audio-book-includes-sydney-chapter/

If you have a library card you can use this phone app called Libby to access the majority of books, and audiobooks (books on tape are cool and normal now).

phone app:
https://www.overdrive.com/apps/libby
or access via web browser:
https://libbyapp.com/

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Speaking of zoo zoos, I worked for a summer at a McKee foods factory making Little Debbie treats. Pretty chill job and I could walk into the cooling tower for the honey buns and snag a fresh, hot one. Truly the only way to eat them since they get kinda lovely later imo. My gf at the time liked oatmeal creme pies and so I would bring her the overruns.

Unrelated, a lot of the internet is split up by interest at this point, so if you are big into birdwatching or whatever you can certainly find both online and in person groups by searching for whatever you're looking for. You'd be shocked how large communities can get for even really niche poo poo. SA has lots of these little mini communities spread throughout the subforums and if you can't find it here you can probably find it by searching Google for "[topic] reddit" or, for media, "[topic] wiki"

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Olanphonia posted:

Pretty chill job and I could walk into the cooling tower for the honey buns and snag a fresh, hot one. Truly the only way to eat them since they get kinda lovely later imo.

reheating in air fryer is comparable imo, also holy crap dad blaster gets to use an air fryer. im excited for you every day harvey

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there any other 30 year period that had such a radical change in technology as the one Harvey skipped over?

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Oh yeah, bikini waxing is big now. It's where men and women get hot wax poured on their crotch to get their pubes pulled out to look like a Mattel doll.

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 27, 2023

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

Is there any other 30 year period that had such a radical change in technology as the one Harvey skipped over?

Honestly, the 1800's till now has been pretty insane. we got the idea of electricity being harnessed, leading to telegraph, which is the basis of the modern internet, after many, many iterations of technology, same with the idea of a stationary engine, and eventually the internal combustion engine, if we look at the 40's to the 60's thats also an amazing ramp up.

Oh, and also, Harvey, while you are bound to enjoy your new computer, you can also Emulate games that were released over the past 30 years as well on it, ask your cousin to set you up with https://retroarch.com/?page=platforms Retroarch, and fine stuff like some "MAME" roms, you can play all your old fave arcade games on it, not to mention a bunch of console games as well.

harveys zoo zoos
May 23, 2023

hey everyone i'm still here you haven't scared me away yet. i will try to catch up with the questions tonight. this morning cousin todd took me to his favorite fishing hole. i don't have a fishing license and it was a public area so to be safe i just hung out and walked around while he fished. he didn't catch anything what a loser haha

he is going to give me a spare keyboard of his so maybe my posts will be easier to read with a working shift key. it won't fix my spelling or grammar though sorry

also he set up a new e-mail for me. it is harveyzoozoos at proton.me if anyone wants to say hi.

i don't really know how twitter works but man that twitter thing is wild. i never expected those million views or whatever.

sorry if i dont reply to everyone but i promise i read everything and i make notes of the links you send me so i can look at them later.

oh oh big news. todd is taking me to the local humane society to maybe get a kitty. i had one as a kid but he died while i was inside. i am super excited. maybe i will post a picture sometime soon if i get one. later i will tell you about the pet program we had inside for a short time.

harveys zoo zoos fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 27, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The internet fuckin loves cats.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Todd seems like a cool dude. Tell Todd I say hello..

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

If you get a cat please please please post pictures. Hell, have a picture of my cat.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Hey Harveys, I don't have much to add to the thread but I just wanted to say I 'm really sorry for what happened to your sister. That's all really terrible and I can't say I wouldn't have wanted to do the same if something like that happened to my brother or my niece.

I haven't had the chance to read through the whole thread yet so I don't know if anyone has touched on this, but please be cool to Gay and Transgender people. They are just trying to live their lives and right now are fighting for their right to exist in society. They are good people.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Well, they are people so some of them are terrible because some people are terrible, but negativity towards them because of who they are is the mark of being terrible yourself.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Well, they are people so some of them are terrible because some people are terrible, but negativity towards them because of who they are is the mark of being terrible yourself.

Yes. This.

That said, you can continue to be terrible to Nazis. They are bad.

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!
Op, you played any jrpgs yet?

Blightie
Dec 27, 2004
Harvey, if you take pictures of your cat make sure you remove any geotag information (information hidden inside the image files that says the coordinates - like latitude and longitude - where the picture was taken). Not all cameras attach this information to digital photos and it is usually off by default, but some do. Maybe ask your cousin for help checking that you have removed any geotags before you put any pictures online.

There is some more information here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geotagged_photograph

Blightie fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 27, 2023

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

Op, you played any jrpgs yet?

:lol:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Harvey they brought back Beavis and Butt-Head and it's pretty good. It's like the 90s never left

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

harveys zoo zoos posted:

hey everyone i'm still here you haven't scared me away yet. i will try to catch up with the questions tonight. this morning cousin todd took me to his favorite fishing hole. i don't have a fishing license and it was a public area so to be safe i just hung out and walked around while he fished. he didn't catch anything what a loser haha

The internet is pretty cool, but it's stuff like that you should be catching up on too now that you have the chance; just getting out and exploring nature and world with your freedom.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Mantis42 posted:

Harvey they brought back Beavis and Butt-Head and it's pretty good. It's like the 90s never left

he might find the new movie where they get flung from the 90s into the modern day relatable too

Revolute
Aug 2, 2007

we've got our peace of mind
Making my first post in 10 years to say welcome to the forums, Harvey!

I’ve seen some guys in prison make electric guitars and stuff like that. Did you ever have any musicians or particularly good singers around in there?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

hbag posted:

he might find the new movie where they get flung from the 90s into the modern day relatable too

Oh right, of course, because of the part where they're in prison.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Hi Zoos zoos, I’ll mention some things no one else has that have been a big change.

Electric cars are actually a thing now, lots of brands sell them and they are just giant batteries on wheels basically. Lots of people have very strong opinions about them.

Flying cars don’t really exist like in a jetsons sense. Many companies are working on it but “they are 5 years away” from working. Who knows.

Didn’t see if this had mentioned yet, but there are two programs (apps) you can get on your cellphone called Uber and Lyft. Basically hailing a cab from your phone anywhere you are, except the cabs are just regular peoples cars driven by their owners. Very useful if you don’t drive and/or have a car yet.

China has replaced Russia as the main opponent to America.

There are now weight loss drugs that actually work and aren’t super bad for you. They’re called Monjaro and Wegovy. Shots you take once a week, curbs your hunger and food cravings for most people. They are in short supply because they’re so popular right now, but they work well and aren’t anything crazy like speed pills.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

Its crazy how no matter how I try to forget this place. It always finds me and sucks me off into these forums.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

No. Harvey needs to see Firefly.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

oh oh big news. todd is taking me to the local humane society to maybe get a kitty. i had one as a kid but he died while i was inside. i am super excited. maybe i will post a picture sometime soon if i get one. later i will tell you about the pet program we had inside for a short time.

There are lots of cat related threads here and this one in YOSPOS is the longest running. YOSPOS is a super techy subforum so it doesn't look like other forums and the thread is so old lots of the pictures are missing, but there are great stories of lots of great cats over the years. Read it from the beginning, hop around, or read the last few months and watch the stories happen live.

:refurb: :cabot: and :minnie: are all cats from the thread. We love cats, understand that they are dumbasses, and want them to do okay.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

harveys zoo zoos posted:

he is going to give me a spare keyboard of his so maybe my posts will be easier to read with a working shift key. it won't fix my spelling or grammar though sorry

much of this forum, and younger people generally, don’t use the shift key much and type in lowercase as a sort of aesthetic choice, so this doesn’t matter per se

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I just assumed most of us were on our phone by now, where the phone capitalizes whatever it deems appropriate.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
the shift key is just a barrier to purestrain hardcore posting. or as kirk cameron would put it

if you circumnavigate the intellect, the subject of the shift key seems to disappear

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Revolute posted:

Making my first post in 10 years to say welcome to the forums, Harvey!

I’ve seen some guys in prison make electric guitars and stuff like that. Did you ever have any musicians or particularly good singers around in there?

Hi superlurker
I read the thing on your profile that you said no one reads btw

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Welcome home.

Food options are generally better and more diverse these days, even outside of major cities. Get some Thai food or some xiaolongbao if you can find it. Even small towns have plenty of options for $7 lattes made by bisexuals.

A lot of internet culture is only important in daily life because of its secondary effects. A lot of conversations might turn a weird direction over politics because of how polarized things have become. The internet has encouraged this thing called "bundling" where you add more and more imaginary stereotypes to someone who disagrees with you until you're legitimately mad. You haven't been poisoned by social media but this is a thing to be aware of.

Hobbies are less common but they still exist and you should find one. If you did any kind of programming inside, going to the gym kinda counts.

Online shopping is a huge thing now as well but don't get carried away. You'll probably hear of something called the "algorithm" which is a term for an automated tool that creates a profile of you. It's sole purpose is to sell you things and get you to waste more time. Everything you buy or really use the internet for feeds into this surveillance thing to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
What was 9/11 like in prison?