Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Speaking of Greek mythology movies remember when they cast The Rock as Hercules and then made a movie about Hercules being a fraud in a traveling circus act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
no

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I had to look it up to make sure it was real

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Justin Tyme posted:

Speaking of Greek mythology movies remember when they cast The Rock as Hercules and then made a movie about Hercules being a fraud in a traveling circus act

he has a name, vin diesel, jeez

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/mubi/status/1662160701270401024

some of you could benefit from this movie ~_~

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Way to tell on yourself.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

so... how do you have sex.

asking for a SWIM of course

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
This year, Walker is among the most promising new filmmakers in Cannes. “How to Have Sex” is a vivid, assured drama about 16-year-old Tara (Mia McKenna-Bruce, also a revelation) who travels with her best friends (Lara Peake, Enva Lewis) from England to Crete for a spring break-style vacation. Tara, like many male protagonists before her, wants to lose her virginity.

But while “How to Have Sex” details the hard-partying, EDM-thumping hedonism of teenagers on a European holiday, it approaches young sex far more honestly and disquietingly than any similar coming-of-age film. Little is black and white in Tara’s experiences, which are boozy, bewildering, isolating and devastating.

For Walker, it’s a profoundly personal story that partly draws from her own experiences, about which she’s courageously frank.

“I was assaulted when I was 16 while I was out drinking in London,” she says. “Part of why I made it was to talk about that and talk about how it doesn’t get talked about. It can suck the air out of a room but it shouldn’t. If so many people have experienced it, we should be talking about it openly.”

Walker grew up in London and first fell into filmmaking by documenting her older brother’s punk band. Her parents both wanted to be filmmakers and are still at it. Watching their movies not get made, she says, gave her her hustle. “It’s my whole life,” Walker says of filmmaking.

As a teenager, she went on trips like the one in “How to Have Sex,” to Majorca and Ibiza. While Walker remembers them fondly (“I’ve got some amazing pictures”), she began to question some of the things she saw. After her short “Good Thanks, You?” made it into Cannes’ Critics Week during the virtual 2020 edition of the festival, she wrote a 50-page script, leaving lots of room for improvisation.

Walker made authenticity a priority. Before filming, she held workshops around the U.K. with 16-year-old girls and slightly older guys to ask them about sex and their interpretations of what she had written.

“Everything from what music are you into, what films are you watching to what’s your concept of consent?” Walker says. “We’d say, ‘Here’s a scene from the film. How does that read to you?’ And none of them recognized it as assault.”

After spending months raising money, Walker shot “How to Have Sex” in Greece. Some of the most challenging days were immediate. Day two required hundreds of extras. Walker was throwing up on set.

“Day three, I decided either I’m going to make myself ill and be really anxious throughout the entire shoot, or I have to enjoy this process,” she says. “And I just managed to flip a switch in my head.”

“I honestly had the best time of my life,” Walker continues. “I don’t know if that’s a combination of factors. You’re on a Greek island, with a really young crew, in a party town. I don’t know if it’s that or whether it’s your first film. But I would do it again in a heartbeat.”

o i c thats how you do it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
seems complicated, im not gunna have sex instead.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
How to Have Sex 2: How to Have Had Sex

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

eurpeans awarding a film about a 16 year old girl in a foreign place trying to get laid is not surprising. its the most european thing I've ever heard

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

ram dass in hell posted:

jackie brown ftw

i really really like the use of insert shots in jackie brown; they're super stylish and they're cut in at just the right places to make the scenes snap by. they remind me of malcolm x, where we see a close-up of a dictionary page as malcolm and his fellow prisoner read the definition of "black" in the dictionary

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Arnold says "i'll be back" in Commando (1985)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

ah i see. makes more sense then

apologies for another possibly dumb question but what's the difference between a guild and a union? i thought the two were the same but the former just sounded cooler?

Probably could use someone who knows the nuances better but cop 'unions' are basically guilds.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Arnold actually has a Netflix series out, where he's a retired CIA officer going on action packed adventures with his daughter, who also happens to be in the CIA

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Arnold actually has a Netflix series out, where he's a retired CIA officer going on action packed adventures with his daughter, who also happens to be in the CIA

lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Antonymous posted:

eurpeans awarding a film about a 16 year old girl in a foreign place trying to get laid is not surprising. its the most european thing I've ever heard
lol i had the same thought. destroy all of europe immediately, tia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/isaiah_bb/status/1662235318874001410?t=9eVNigx8vx1-cNPHXw27_Q&s=19

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/1661928530165235712

imagine making jerry seinfeld look good

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
oh, so koreans are allowed to put on white voice, but americans are not allowed to do asian voice??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfGMlMEZr18&t=55s

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
adult-aged twitter libs ppl getting extremely mad at what some 14 year olds do is very epic bacon. glad they are the vanguard of america

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
*40 year old former clinton campaign staffer paying for bluecheck on Twitter* wow, just wow.. yikesaroo, can you believe this 12 year old child did squinty eyes on tiktok? just, jesus christ. I-i-i can't even

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
rather than copy Black artists, the next generation will copy Asian artists who copied Black ones

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Reminded of when Avril Lavigne made that Kawaii video that looked weird and slightly racist to westerners but Japan loved it and she started touring and expanded her career there.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Been on a Schwarzenegger kick recently, watched Commando, Predator, Running Man, and Last Action Hero.

Eraser is amazing.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

linkin park and avril lavine are basically the beatles invasion but for asia. their music will never die there

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

oh, so koreans are allowed to put on white voice, but americans are not allowed to do asian voice??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfGMlMEZr18&t=55s

I've seen that Hyelin clip probably a dozen times over the years and that voice switch out of nowhere still catches me off guard.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Eraser is amazing.
Some good parts, including Jimmy Caan and his all-time-great heel turn, but as evidenced by the clip earlier in the thread some TERRIBLE compositing. Not just compared to modern stuff but even for the time, I remember seeing it in the theater and talking about about how the compositing was so bad that the alligators looked transparent.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Halfway through season 5 of BB

Skyler walking into the pool was dumb.

Jesse Plemons is in this? Cool.

Haha, Walt treating Hank like a therapist.

Honestly, it's amazing that Walt got this far without any muscle, and I'm counting Mike.

Is that the Shamwow guy?

E: Haha, Walt threw a tantrum because he got called out on his egotism and Mike dies a pointless death.

Okuteru has issued a correction as of 13:10 on May 27, 2023

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Antonymous posted:

linkin park and avril lavine are basically the beatles invasion but for asia. their music will never die there
Eminem too

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1662179591602188288?s=20

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

she must be very talented, like Rob lowes son.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Redezga posted:

I've seen that Hyelin clip probably a dozen times over the years and that voice switch out of nowhere still catches me off guard.
proof positive that all languages other than american are just a prank that has gone on far too long

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/N7y0I2k.mp4

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

chicks rock

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
skylar walking into the pool was good actually

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Redezga posted:

EXID is insanely GOATed

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Justin Tyme posted:

It's a good premise, too bad it sucks