Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Main Paineframe posted:

I googled "cake recipe" on my phone, picked the first result, and scrolled past 10 inline ads before I reached the actual recipe. Plus ads at the top and bottom of the recipe, fixed banner ads pinned to the top and bottom of the page so they were always in view, and a video ad that popped up pinned to the corner.

1. Post the link because my first cake recipe is: https://sugarspunrun.com/vanilla-cake-recipe/ and I see no ads or anything. There's a thing mentioning affiliate links, then a big picture of the cake, some words explaining it's better than cake from a box, and then the recipe and directions.

2. If you're seeing ads (in 2023) that's a You problem.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Boris Galerkin posted:

:jerkbag:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’ve had this discussion with a friend irl before, but my take on the blog posts before a recipe are that they are good. For me as someone who cooks, when I see a recipe for x I usually already know how to cook x, or at least in general. I mean its a dish for baked chicken ziti or whatever, it’s not a mystery how to make it. What does matter to me is why I wanna make your baked dish over someone else’s. And if you spend a paragraph talking about how this dish is great with x drink or y occasion because z reason then that gets me interested.

Otherwise it’s just a list of the specific spices etc of what the author claims to use and mundane directions like “preheat oven to 69 degrees”.

Boris Galerkin posted:

My perspective is from someone who “knows how to cook.” I already know how to cook chicken, and I already know this dish uses various spices and herbs. For people like me we don’t really need a lot of detail on how to cook a drat chicken.

Did an SEO write this?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

1. Post the link because my first cake recipe is: https://sugarspunrun.com/vanilla-cake-recipe/ and I see no ads or anything. There's a thing mentioning affiliate links, then a big picture of the cake, some words explaining it's better than cake from a box, and then the recipe and directions.

Here's what that page looks like without an adblocker:

Three ads on the page, two of which will scroll along with the page so they're always visible, and a similarly-pinned share bar at the top. As for the square inline ad, there's roughly a dozen of those, many of them embedded in all the needless text about how it's better than cake from a box.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone post one of these recipes with 10 pages of completely unrelated bullshit and ads before the recipe? Because all the ones posted so far seem to be a few paragraphs or a page or two of relevant information. Starting to feel like people are over exaggerating a boogeyman.

e: From an actual website, not SEO bullshit like best-recipes-net.biz.

First hit from "orange sour cream cake" Note esp. the paragraph on how inspiring citrus is.

e: And the second hit.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 27, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Privacy Badger, uBlock Origin, and NoScript make websites far less annoying to visit.

Professor Beetus posted:

drat man, it's almost like this is 99% of google results when trying to look up a recjpe

Or anything else for that matter.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/theothermoore/s...40post532119634

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Did they use ChatGPT do their "legal research"?

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

OddObserver posted:

Did they use ChatGPT do their "legal research"?

This is what happens when you lean on a machine whose job is to make plausible sentences, rather then collate data.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
That lawyer must have used Bard even though it’s in beta. Shoulda forked for an OpenAI ChatGPT subscription.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Boris Galerkin posted:

I use that site's recipe for Southern biscuits. Would recommend.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Elon is having a great week

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/may/26/tesla-data-leak-customers-employees-safety-complaints

quote:

100,000 names of former and current employees, including the social security number of the Tesla CEO, Elon Musk, along with private email addresses, phone numbers, salaries of employees, bank details of customers and secret details from production

quote:

large numbers of customer complaints regarding the Tesla’s driver assistance programs, with about 4,000 complaints on sudden acceleration or phantom braking.

quote:

If such a violation was proved, Tesla could be fined up to 4% of its annual sales, which could be €3.26bn ($3.5bn).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it’s safe to say that the average cookbook or excerpt thereof should have more than a perfunctory list of ingredients and basic directions, and also that (as with writing any sort of long-form content) a lot of people are just poo poo authors. The issue becomes that, with recipes, you might have a poo poo author who’s a really good cook, so you can’t ignore poorly-written stuff entirely.

We lost the last guy who was great at both in Strasbourg nearly five years ago.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Please tell me how to put ublock origin on my iPhone for when I’m outside of my PiHole

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

PT6A posted:

I think it’s safe to say that the average cookbook or excerpt thereof should have more than a perfunctory list of ingredients and basic directions, and also that (as with writing any sort of long-form content) a lot of people are just poo poo authors. The issue becomes that, with recipes, you might have a poo poo author who’s a really good cook, so you can’t ignore poorly-written stuff entirely.

An ideal recipe should be: 1) a list of ingredients; 2) a brief step-by-step summary; 3) a detailed explanation of each step explaining the theory behind it. In that order.

If you are already familiar with cooking the dish and just need to reference how much of a spice to put in or what order to cook things, you can get that information quickly from #1 and #2 without having to search through the entire recipe. If you are just learning how to cook and need to understand the basic techniques in a dish, you can get that information by reading the detailed description.

Most online recipes reverse that order while adding in extraneous personal information (my grandma was eating this cake when the second plane hit the towers) or subjective descriptors that add no value (this is the yummiest cake I've ever eaten!). So you have to slog through a bunch of text before finding the one specific piece of information you are looking for. It's especially annoying if you're trying to do it on your phone while in the middle of cooking.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Seph posted:

An ideal recipe should be: 1) a list of ingredients; 2) a brief step-by-step summary; 3) a detailed explanation of each step explaining the theory behind it. In that order.

If you are already familiar with cooking the dish and just need to reference how much of a spice to put in or what order to cook things, you can get that information quickly from #1 and #2 without having to search through the entire recipe. If you are just learning how to cook and need to understand the basic techniques in a dish, you can get that information by reading the detailed description.

Most online recipes reverse that order while adding in extraneous personal information (my grandma was eating this cake when the second plane hit the towers) or subjective descriptors that add no value (this is the yummiest cake I've ever eaten!). So you have to slog through a bunch of text before finding the one specific piece of information you are looking for. It's especially annoying if you're trying to do it on your phone while in the middle of cooking.

Yeah everything's stretched out to create the maximum amount of time viewing ads, it fuckin' sucks. Like I'm not a god-tier cook but usually I just need to see part 1 to see what proportion of each thing makes up a dish/what order and then I can go from there, and it's always annoying that this is at the end online.

Also wastes a lot of time when I just want a quick look at the ingredients themselves to see that I have everything or/and if we're cooking for guests to make sure it meets any dietary situations going on.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

F4rt5 posted:

Please tell me how to put ublock origin on my iPhone for when I’m outside of my PiHole

Tailscale. https://technicatgor.github.io/posts/UsingTailscaleForHomeLabVPNConnectivity/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

F4rt5 posted:

You can use a different adblocker like 1Blocker or anything else.

You can use Tailscale as described above, or for me I just use nextdns.io free tier to block ads at the system level.

I get the complaints about recipes containing fluff (even if I am fine with it, I understand it can be annoying!) but I reiterate that seeing too many ads/having ads interfere with your cooking recipe in tyool 2023 is absolutely a "you" problem. Like looking at the screenshot above with all those ads just makes me wonder: why?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 27, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah 1Blocker is great for iOS/MacOS

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

It wouldn't be an online tech discussion without a tedious nerd, dripping with smug superiority, endlessly discoursing on how you personally are doing something wrong.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

PT6A posted:

Cookbooks don't really need much more than a list of ingredients and instructions. That's why people are buying the cookbook, after all - to learn how to cook stuff.

But the difference between a cookbook and a recipe website is that people are buying the cookbook. Recipe websites, like most free web content these days, generally monetize via ad impressions and affiliate links, with a particular focus on monetizing users who came in via Google and are unlikely to visit any other pages on the website.

That creates a completely different incentive structure for content. The priorities for a cooking website are to maximize the number of ads the user sees, create plenty of opportunities for them to see affiliate links, and push them to also look at other recipes on the site. That encourages a massive fluff section.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Main Paineframe posted:

Cookbooks don't really need much more than a list of ingredients and instructions. That's why people are buying the cookbook, after all - to learn how to cook stuff.

But the difference between a cookbook and a recipe website is that people are buying the cookbook. Recipe websites, like most free web content these days, generally monetize via ad impressions and affiliate links, with a particular focus on monetizing users who came in via Google and are unlikely to visit any other pages on the website.

That creates a completely different incentive structure for content. The priorities for a cooking website are to maximize the number of ads the user sees, create plenty of opportunities for them to see affiliate links, and push them to also look at other recipes on the site. That encourages a massive fluff section.

Completely accurate. Plus the recipes for money sites go through the SEO to get to the top, unlike someone who just wants to share no-frills recipes and doesn't care about ads.

:capitalism:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a lot of modern cookbooks have huge glossy photos and tons of prose. these days a lot of them are semi-autobiographical

like this is the 2022 winner of the james beard cookbook award for pastries and sweets

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Mooncakes_and_Milk_Bread/R_sIEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

sure doesn't look like a list of ingredients and some instructions

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Don’t worry he’ll move Tesla to Florida if DeSantis is willing to protect SpaceX.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/ron-desantis-signs-bill-elon-musk-spacex-spaceflight-liability-1234742632/amp/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I guess this is where I am revealing how insanely boring I am (as if people didn't already know), but I use gantt charts in the kitchen and the cookbooks I own are books like Advanced Bread and Pastry, a 1000 page tome.

It has great illustrations, too:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

a lot of modern cookbooks have huge glossy photos and tons of prose. these days a lot of them are semi-autobiographical

like this is the 2022 winner of the james beard cookbook award for pastries and sweets

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Mooncakes_and_Milk_Bread/R_sIEAAAQBAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

This is fantastic, and provides a lot of key background on the impetus for writing the book plus a rundown of relevant shops and styles, and even ingredient selection advice.

quote:

Cookbook sections in bookstores are packed with dessert books, like cookie tomes with recipes for short- bread and the absolute best chocolate chip cookies. But you likely won't find a recipe for Chocolate-Hazelnut Macau-Style Cookies (page 212), tender, beautifully pressed cookies that melt in your mouth, in any American cookbook.

I spent years searching for recipes for the perfect Chinese Sponge Cake (page 138), for Shao Bing (page 30)-a small bread encrusted with sesame seeds and filled with either sweet or savory options-and for crispy yet fluffy Sheng Jian Bao, pan-fried steamed buns filled with juicy pork.

These recipes are hard to come by, and if anything exists, it's via a few untrustworthy web links. I wanted to change that and share a collection of thoughtful, well-tested recipes dedicated to my beloved Chinese bakeries and cafes.

This is good! There's a lot of relevant information, ingredient selection tips, rundown of the subtypes of treats based on the kind of place you get them, etc. Another story about picky husband and busy kids going to soccer practice isn't anywhere as useful.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mooncakes and Milk Bread is a fabulous book, and I'm very glad to own it. The culture parts are interesting sit-down reads and are well separated from the recipes. IIRC it does follow the maddening current cookbook trend, putting page numbers in the side gutter instead of the corner.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I don't want to download a big pdf, can you tell me what it says?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Judge is exceptionally pissed at lawyers who submitted a brief written by ChatGPT, which has legal citations to decisions that ... have nothing at all to do with the case. It also comes out that the document, dated May 2023, is notarized with a stamp showing January 2023. A notary has to sign an oath saying "this person was right here with me and I watched them sign it." Lawyer then submits conversations with ChatGPT where he asked ChatGPT if it was telling the truth and it said yes.

The judge has demanded that the lawyer produce the "wet book", which is the book retained by the notary of every stamp they've handed out. It's wet because that's the one you, the person asking for notarization, signed in ink.

According to national treasure Courtney Milan, former Supreme Court clerk and law professor and current romance novelist, disbarment is definitely on the line.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Some Leonard J. Crabs level of dumb-assery there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Courtney's thread starts here. https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1662314610517774339

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
https://twitter.com/apark2453/status/1662321729958744065?t=CngXC3FUs2HiaWPeZ0SJbw&s=19

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Judge is exceptionally pissed at lawyers who submitted a brief written by ChatGPT, which has legal citations to decisions that ... have nothing at all to do with the case. It also comes out that the document, dated May 2023, is notarized with a stamp showing January 2023. A notary has to sign an oath saying "this person was right here with me and I watched them sign it." Lawyer then submits conversations with ChatGPT where he asked ChatGPT if it was telling the truth and it said yes.

The judge has demanded that the lawyer produce the "wet book", which is the book retained by the notary of every stamp they've handed out. It's wet because that's the one you, the person asking for notarization, signed in ink.

According to national treasure Courtney Milan, former Supreme Court clerk and law professor and current romance novelist, disbarment is definitely on the line.

It's not the decisions have nothing to do with the case. It's that the decisions are entirely fake. Both the citation to the decision and the "decision" the lawyer submitted when the judge asked if they were real and could the judge have a copy.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
A 7-2 decision, that completely overturned precedent localized entirely within your legal brief!?
Yes!
Can I see it?
No.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

evilweasel posted:

It's not the decisions have nothing to do with the case. It's that the decisions are entirely fake. Both the citation to the decision and the "decision" the lawyer submitted when the judge asked if they were real and could the judge have a copy.
No, there really is a Martinez v. Delta Airlines. Which is what you'd expect from a bedazzled Markov Chain: occasionally regurgitating text from the input.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with a structure that gives you more than just basic instructions -- hell, even Joy of Cooking, which is about the most utilitarian cookbook imaginable, goes in-depth on certain things.

And, seriously, read Bourdain's cookbook that he wrote on working at Les Halles. The recipes are arguably the least interesting, and least useful part -- but you learn a lot about techniques that can be used for cooking in general. This is arguably very different from baking, where things need to be precise, but it does apply to most non-baked-goods -- precise measurements and order of operations are not really that important as long as you understand how the dish comes together.

The problem with the extra poo poo on most recipe websites, and indeed in most cookbooks, is that the authors aren't Anthony Bourdain and have nothing interesting to contribute beyond the recipes, which are often poo poo.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 28, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

PT6A posted:

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with a structure that gives you more than just basic instructions -- hell, even Joy of Cooking, which is about the most utilitarian cookbook imaginable, goes in-depth on certain things.

And, seriously, read Bourdain's cookbook that he wrote on working at Les Halles. The recipes are arguably the least interesting, and least useful part -- but you learn a lot about techniques that can be used for cooking in general. This is arguably very different from baking, where things need to be precise, but it does apply to most non-baked-goods -- precise measurements and order of operations are not really that important as long as you understand how the dish comes together.

The problem with the extra poo poo on most recipe websites, and indeed in most cookbooks, is that the authors aren't Anthony Bourdain and have nothing interesting to contribute beyond the recipes, which are often poo poo.

Yeah, this is a big part of the problem. The average recipe blogger is just another idiot like the rest of us, with neither an interesting life nor an experienced editor, so those ten pages of horseshit before the recipe are a slog instead of interesting. However, there's also a different issue, too: the expectation of what you're getting when you look up a recipe online, versus when you read a celebrity chef's cookbook, for example. I would venture a guess that the average person looking for a scone recipe on the internet just wants the recipe. They didn't go to MarthaMalonesFabulousScones.com to learn about Martha Malone's favorite flour (if I accidentally picked a famous baker here with my random name, I apologize); they went there because they don't know how much flour to add, and her blog was on the first page of results somehow.

Meanwhile, when I see a Bourdain cookbook, I say "Oh poo poo, I read his other stuff and saw his TV shows and he's pretty loving interesting. Let's grab this and see what he's got cooking," and half the fun is reading his various witticisms about the time he spit-roasted a cobra while tripping balls as a dare. Martha can't compete, and I didn't want her to try in the first place. I wanted to know how much flour to add.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well someones never going to hear about Martha's famous seal tatar recipe which she learnt from her pet polar bear while they were both doing and trafficking large amounts of coke.

My favorite thing about recipes is when they give instructions in a way that is both lengthy and still very confusing and vague, and don't include an ingredient list or amounts. Sure some stuff you can just add to taste but come on at least give ball park figures for the main ingredients.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The worst is when they do provide amounts, but in arbitrary moon units instead of something I can quickly adapt to how many people I want to serve using the magic of simple maths and a kitchen scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Go to the Chrome or Firefox store and download the Recipe Filter extension.

It automatically strips out all the narrative bullshit and pops up the ingredients and the cooking steps.

You're welcome.