Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I am leveling up a new character/bank alt and I just noticed yesterday that riding training is FINALLY tied the the daily reset time instead of a separate 20 hour cooldown. Did this happen in the most recent patch?

Also, my characters feel like they are moving faster since the last patch. Was something done to move speed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I think I read that they put all timer resets on a unified schedule for the latest patch.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Also there are champ point stars that increase speed.

And last year (I think?) They changed the very first passive in Assault (pvp skill line) to grant a mount speed boost. Related to this, whenever you hit level 10 on a new character, go to cyrodiil and do the pvp tutorial, there's zero actual fighting and you walk away with a few skillpoints and pvp skills at rank 3, which is enough to get you the passive and also Vigor which is a pretty useful self heal to have, even in pve

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Error 404 posted:

Also there are champ point stars that increase speed.

And last year (I think?) They changed the very first passive in Assault (pvp skill line) to grant a mount speed boost. Related to this, whenever you hit level 10 on a new character, go to cyrodiil and do the pvp tutorial, there's zero actual fighting and you walk away with a few skillpoints and pvp skills at rank 3, which is enough to get you the passive and also Vigor which is a pretty useful self heal to have, even in pve

Or save yourself having to run through those goddamn sewers and when the daily reward is alliance points, grab that on the same character and you’ll get the skill line leveled up.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
New stuff is up on test server now. Early reports are the Arcanist is underwhelming dps but goes really loving hard as a support.

BeastOfTheEdelwood
Feb 27, 2023

Led through the mist, by the milk-light of moon, all that was lost is revealed.
I've been taking a break from ESO for a while, but I am kind of excited for the Necrom chapter and the Arcanist. The main thing that turns me off of the game is that I am really bad at it. My current main is a DPS sorcerer, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to weave light attacks. Nice to know there will be some ways to mitigate that with Necrom. As it stands, I'm too intimidated to do group content. I also have a healer Necromancer, but I've been too afraid to even try any healing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

I've been taking a break from ESO for a while, but I am kind of excited for the Necrom chapter and the Arcanist. The main thing that turns me off of the game is that I am really bad at it. My current main is a DPS sorcerer, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to weave light attacks. Nice to know there will be some ways to mitigate that with Necrom. As it stands, I'm too intimidated to do group content. I also have a healer Necromancer, but I've been too afraid to even try any healing.

Meh just go for it don't stress it.

It gets more intense with PVP and trials but for everything before that you should be fine being even vaguely competent.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

BeastOfTheEdelwood posted:

It absolutely does not matter. Your DPS will be just fine and I say this as a fellow DPS Sorc who tried to learn weaving and couldn’t get it down. People race through dungeons so fast, they won’t even notice the damage you’re doing or not doing unless you literally just stand there.

(PS: after a while I accidentally figured out weaving just playing, so you may figure it out one day)

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Unless you plan on doing trials or veteran dungeons there is no reason to ever know how to do max DPS, just play however you want to. The bulk of the game is solo quests which are incredibly easy 99% of the time.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

You don’t have to do max DPS in vet dungeons, either really.

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

I switched my magsorc to an oakensoul build and do insane heavy attack damage with only one bar to manage.

It has become my favorite character when I just want to do some chill vet dungeons or questing.

There is a small nerf incoming to the build damage per the test patch, but 95k dps vs 88k dps is not a deal breaker.

There is some salt over the oakensoul 1 bar heavy attack builds but I like they are trying to help make the game more accessible to folks.

If you want to mash all the buttons, weave and switch bars… 120k+ dps nightblade is always calling your name :black101:

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Sooo...what's starting from square one in 2023 like

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I'm also curious about that. I just had the urge to play rise up out of the depths so here I am looking at all this poo poo I haven't touched since 2017 or whatever. Thinking of starting a fresh Warden and getting back into it, is it any good or is it a mediocre little-of-everything class?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Starting again is really fun, if a bit disjointed from the “tutorial” shifting all over the world depending on what the latest DLC. But that just means you can start literally anywhere, anyhow and just roll with it, which I personally love.

Leveling to 50 doesn’t seem like a slog, the game shits EXP at you. Questing gets you way more experience than grinding, so you don’t even have to do that, and there is an entire world worth of storyline.

Warden is the best IMO. I don’t know what the “meta” says but there are so many ways to play warden effectively and they are all radically different so it’s almost like 2-3 different classes. I have a bow + 2H + bear warden and a 1H + shield + ice staff warden and I love them both. I can solo drat near anything given enough time. I did the Halloween Crow Demon thing solo once because nobody else was there. Took like 30 kittens, but I did it without dying. There are more build too!

Stam warden 4 lyfe beyotch.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I've found starting over (on both Xbox Series X and PC) to be fun. I subbed on PC and am bringing up a main character while just doing daily crafting/dungeons/battlegrounds on a few others as well. I did get overwhelmed at the sheer number of quests but I focused on either the zone story or the main quest on each person, and also have a crafter/tank who does nothing but sit in town and instaqueue after doing crafting dailies.

In summary, starting fresh owns, game owns

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Verbose posted:

Sooo...what's starting from square one in 2023 like

The very beginning is the most elder scrolls part of this game. As you level it becomes more and more MMO bit by bit.

What I'm saying is, make a dude, pick a direction and run, all the fiddly bits (of which there are maaany) can absolutely wait.

What platform are you going to play on?

I'm xbox na, so let me know if youre there and I'll put together some training gear and a care package for you.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Oh, since I recently started over by playing on PC, I can give a couple of quick tips.

- Find the crafting trainers and get those started as soon as you can so you can do the crafting dailies. They give great EXP, gold, and mats and take 5 minutes to do.
- having said that don't feel like you MUST do them or they become a chore
- also, I've been playing for 4 years and just now realized that the training vendors do NOT show up in other cities until you start a learning crafting quest. They will be in in the capitals of the first 'real' starting zones though (Vulkhul Guard, Daggerfall, Davon's Watch) I spent a loving hour looking for them in Vivec City, got fed up and went to Davon's watch, got one quest from Daniel, went back to Vivec City and BAM they were both there in the middle of the crafting area.
- on that note, Vivec City in Vvardenfel is definitely the easiest zone to craft. Everything is right there.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

I spent a loving hour looking for them in Vivec City, got fed up and went to Davon's watch, got one quest from Daniel, went back to Vivec City and BAM they were both there in the middle of the crafting area.
They're in Vivec, but not near the crafting area. You have to go into the Mages/Fighter's guilds to start the quests, which are inside the cantons. Once you start the quest, then they show up in the crafting area (yes, it's really stupid).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

g0del posted:

They're in Vivec, but not near the crafting area. You have to go into the Mages/Fighter's guilds to start the quests, which are inside the cantons. Once you start the quest, then they show up in the crafting area (yes, it's really stupid).

That's exactly where I looked. I am 99.99% sure they weren't there.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
What's a good social guild to join that is active on voice comm?

Most of the social guild (including SA's) are super quiet, and barely anyone talks... Kind of defeats the purpose of a social guild.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Being a tank in the daily battlegrounds is a lot of fun. The other roles are pretty poo poo, although you can have some fun healer sessions. I think I may be the only player on the megaserver who queues with healer role and actually heals in BGs

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

healing is a ton of fun in ESO, very active, you can generally get some damage in too, I did sorc healing for a long while and just had a blast never dying and keeping everyone alive.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Error 404 posted:

Yeah, each of the 5 leads comes from doing a specific thing (you can google what to do/where to find each lead) and some leads can legit be a big pain in the rear end to get. Worth it though, imo.

As for the build, it works the best on sorceror, but you can absolutely pull good, but lower, dps with any class. The build is p much the gear basically, so once you have the gear you can swap it between your dudes, or build multiple copies.

Another reason I like it is that I can free up skill slots and easily level new skills/skill lines without worrying about doing lovely dps.

I levelled all the tank skills I needed on my necro healer last week, so now I can use my other armory slot to tank (once I build my gear for it ofc).

I was actually only Scrying 4 drat. Just hit 6. Artaeum Scry mines are real lol

My main's a Necro and I like playing this on the Deck at night so just having one skillbar to worry about sounds great.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

Defenistrator posted:

What's a good social guild to join that is active on voice comm?

Most of the social guild (including SA's) are super quiet, and barely anyone talks... Kind of defeats the purpose of a social guild.

I assume you are on console? There is no integrated voice chat on PC, everyone just goes to Discord (Or teamspeak if you are a weirdo)

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

DoriDori240 posted:

I assume you are on console? There is no integrated voice chat on PC, everyone just goes to Discord (Or teamspeak if you are a weirdo)

PC, but yes, the discords are dead all the time. There are people playing but noone logs into the discord channels.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

getting back into this game, but starting over on ps5. Is there a ps goon guild?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Simone Poodoin posted:

getting back into this game, but starting over on ps5. Is there a ps goon guild?

There is. I’ll throw you an invite. PSN? It’s pretty quiet though so feel free to join others. I can also invite you to LOK Goonsquad (not SA affiliated despite the name - I thought it was, that’s why I joined. :haw: ) which is a really cool and chill guild.

Also I created The Cult of Ythrl for grins, but I can shoot you an invite to that too. If we get 8 more goons, we can have an open guild bank.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 30, 2023

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Doctor Zero posted:

There is. I’ll throw you an invite. PSN? It’s pretty quiet though so feel free to join others. I can also invite you to LOK Goonsquad (not SA affiliated despite the name - I thought it was, that’s why I joined. :haw: ) which is a really cool and chill guild.

Also I created The Cult of Ythrl for grins, but I can shoot you an invite to that too. If we get 8 more goons, we can have an open guild bank.

Thanks, PMd you!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

What are some "good" solo/semi quests to do? I mean like:

Companion quests
Oakensoul
That story quest that gives you the big house at the end I can't remember
The skeleton polymorph

Just things like that to focus on.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Summerset: Psijic order is a skill line you level up by doing quests.

noveria
Feb 24, 2015
So, I've got an unusual amount of downtime at work tonight, but not quite enough to get involved in anything too... well, involved, so here you go:

Here's a bare-bones guide with all of the non-scrying unlockable collectibles, so things like costumes, dyes, personalities, skins, titles, etc. Not all of them are solo-friendly (a lot of them require dungeon achievements, though note that some dungeon unlockables only require you to enter the dungeon, not actually do anything beyond that initial step inside), and there are no photos included for the majority of the list, but it's the most complete guide of in-game collectibles that I've found thus far.

My personal suggestion from the above list is the Telvanni Magister personality from the Sadrith Mora questline if you don't have it already, both because the personality is great (it's the one that looks like you're deep in thought) and because the questline is really good. You start it by talking to an Argonian NPC named Eoki.

They're mentioned on the list but if you enjoy solo-farming public dungeons, a lot of the items for their unlockable collectibles can be sold on the guild trader, so dupes/extras can still be of use in that way.

Scrying has several mythics and tons of furnishings to go after. Each zone has multiple furnishings that can only be obtained this way, you can usually buy them on demand from the zone achievement vendor once you've found them 3x, so the vendor is a good way to preview them & see which ones you like.

Related, you can always fall into the rabbit hole of home decorating overall and watch time just delete itself while you're working on finding items/recipes, crafting them, and arranging them...
-One thing to be aware of with furnishing plans from looted containers is that there is a cooldown, a diff cooldown for each rarity tier. I forget the exact length but basically it's a short cooldown for green, think it's around 30 min to an hour for blue, several hours for purple, and probably much longer for gold - idk exactly how long. Note that if you find a purple provisioning recipe or a purple motif, those do not trigger the purple furnishing cooldown and vice versa.

If you haven't leveled Legerdemain you can go on a thieving spree, it's kind of relaxing tbh and can net you rare furnishings/furnishing plans, gold, and motifs. Could do the Thieves Guild and/or Dark Brotherhood questlines alongside it as well for more flavour and some useful functionality. The TG questline gives you a summonable Fence NPC upon completion, and DB's Blade of Woe helps reset NPCs for pickpocketing much quicker than having to wait for their inventory to regenerate, as whenever they respawn they'll be have their pickpocket inventory refreshed. NPCs have max three items in their pickpocket inventory, if they have less it's because someone else didn't take them all and didn't kill them to reset their inventory. From how it was explained to me, Ember's companion skill where you can sometimes pickpocket an envelope of gold instead of an item doesn't count against that limit, it's essentially a freebie. I usually don't have her out while pickpocketing though because of her complaining when you get caught started annoying me, so I can't confirm that firsthand. I usually just do pickpocket - pickpocket - blade of woe, which lets you loot the final item and reset the NPC at the same time.

Some pickpocketing/stealing fun facts:
-The Vvardenfell Great House motifs (Redoran, Hlaalu, Telvanni) can only come from pickpocketing NPCs or stealing from containers, lockboxes or thieves troves. The NPC does not need to be obviously associated with a specific Great House to drop its motifs.
-The ugly skooma bubbler furnishing can drop from any drunken NPC in any zone (and, in my experience, also from the chef in the House Mornard castle on Galen) - the furnishing plan for said bubbler is much rarer and magnitudes more valuable and comes from the same drunken NPCs. I don't know if the Galen chef has it in his loot table as well.
-Nobles in Elden Root, Wayrest and Orsinium can have a gold furnishing plan for their associated race's (Wood Elf, Breton or Orc) throne in their inventory for you to pickpocket.
-Guards are invincible but can be pickpocketed and can drop various "wanted poster" furnishings
-Priests and Pilgrim NPCs in Vvardenfell can be pickpocketed for certain purple furnishings and some blue plans
-Kvatch Priests can be pickpocketed for the purple hourglass furnishing plan
-The Shivering Cheese is a rare gold furnishing that can be pickpocketed or drop from any container marked "steal" and sells for quite a lot of gold, like around 1 million last I checked, so don't sell it to a fence if you get one!

There are achievements for fishing and associated achievement vendor furnishings, if you like fishing. Fishing in Summerset can also net you Pyandonean Bottles which can hold Pyandonean motif pages to use/sell. Fishing in Artaeum can get you "Waterlogged Psijic Satchels" with non-tradable (in order words, not worth farming after you unlock them yourself) recipes for foods that improve your chance at rare fish/drops to speed up the process (there is also a champion point node that reduces how long it takes before you get a bite, which I recommend using alongside the foods). As an aside, you'll probably get some Perfect Roe to use or post on guild traders. Or you can just sell the fish on trader to let someone else be at mercy of the RoeNG.

Lastly, if you like hunting stuff to sell, this person on the ESO subreddit posts monthly "economy" guides with the current most valuable/in-demand items to farm and sell on guild traders. Some are dungeon drops ofc, but there's usually some daily delve, public dungeon and solo daily drops in there every month.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Good resource, thanks!

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

The Alinor greenhouse is at the luxury furnishings vendor this weekend, so if you have been waiting and have 100k burning a hole in your pocket, now is your chance!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Really appreciated! My Scrying is at 7 because I wanted and got Oakensoul, I'm one scry part away from the 45% run speed ring, but Elden Hollow boss hasn't been dropping the lead.

Once I get that I'll do that, I do need to get Ledger up especially

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I just started the Southern Elswyer story and I would die for Chizbari the Chipper.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

A Real Horse posted:

I just started the Southern Elswyer story and I would die for Chizbari the Chipper.

Her and Caska are just the Best!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's the simplest / easiest way to get a house that can hold more than like 4 things like the free inn room does? I feel like 10k crowns is insane but I would like to have a place to put some of this poo poo

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Syrinxx posted:

What's the simplest / easiest way to get a house that can hold more than like 4 things like the free inn room does? I feel like 10k crowns is insane but I would like to have a place to put some of this poo poo

No spoilers, but doing the questline for north elsweyr + a couple other things* gets you a decent size house in Rimmen.

* a trial, a dungeon, southern elsweyr questline. The house is basically 4 areas, you get the first area, but then doing the other stuff gets you tablets that unlock portals to the other 3 areas.

noveria
Feb 24, 2015

Syrinxx posted:

My first bigger house was Grymharth's Woe in Windhelm. 280k gold and it's the classic Skyrim mid-sized house, great hall w/alcove on ground floor, two rooms upstairs. There are several medium homes like that from around 150k-350k in diff styles and locations, check around to seen which one you like. Sleek Creek House is super popular because has a short, guardless path to the town's Thieves Guild, if you do a lot of pickpocket/thieving.

Autumn's Gate is smaller, a one-room cottage with a courtyard, in Riften. It's 60k. Likewise, there are a few other smaller one-room/courtyard combo homes in the same price range.

The list, organized by size: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Player_Housing

E: also, yeah, I am doing stuff out of order but I did High Isle and Galen early-ish and love Caska and Za'ji very much! Looking forward to meeting them again for the first time or something in Elsweyr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Syrinxx posted:

Houses go on sale a lot. You can also buy most of them with in game gold.