Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

eXXon posted:

It was a Pontiac Pilate.

lollll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

silicone thrills posted:

Jesus christ I shared that video with some friends and one of them said this

and jesus christ do people not realize when they say this sort of poo poo that they're basically saying - yeah that person deserves to die for taking the wrong road.

I think derives at least partially from the particular brain worms we have from being the country that invented the crime of jaywalking. you think this law is supposed to be a message to pedestrians ("if you walk in the street it's your fault if you get hit and killed") but eventually drivers internalize the flip side of that message ("it's not your fault if you hit and kill someone, it's no one's fault but their own") and a generation or two later you end up with people who take deadly driving as a given and can't even conceive of drivers as having any moral responsibility to drive safely - they're more like an amoral force of nature.

so from that perspective going on the wrong road or existing anywhere near the street as a pedestrian or cyclist or whatever is like deciding to leave shelter and walk around outside during a tornado. the drivers aren't killing you, you are killing you.

it's a very diseased mindset

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Our disgraced former police chief is running for mayor and his only platform seems to be to remove bike lanes.

https://twitter.com/kevin_wiener/status/1662207528749477888

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://twitter.com/ChrisJrQeh/status/1662152523082264577

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

Our disgraced former police chief is running for mayor and his only platform seems to be to remove bike lanes.

Does he want to remove the parking as well so the road can have another lane? Or just remove the bike lane out of spite so he doesn't have to see bikes going by while he's stuck in traffic?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lol it's ten cars stalled in a construction zone. That's the most Chicken Little bike lane panic I've seen yet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

mystes posted:

Does he want to remove the parking as well so the road can have another lane? Or just remove the bike lane out of spite so he doesn't have to see bikes going by while he's stuck in traffic?

Based on the row of illegally parked cars in front of the police HQ that I see every day, I'm going to go ahead and guess that he's fine with those.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

This is 100% what it is and cyclists moving faster than drivers are makes them insanely mad

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh no the poor car was probably scratched up. They need to make those bus stops out of cardboard

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

It's lucky nobody was sitting there, so the cops don't have to investigate why someone with a car was waiting at a bus stop.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

advertising "unlimited mental health benefits for employees" is some hellworld poo poo

Clark Nova has issued a correction as of 17:20 on May 27, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/richmintz/status/1662466553831358464?t=b8uTb4IAWFuOxp9TXI2jzw&s=19

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/richmintz/status/1662469909446524930?s=20

Just... How brain-damaged do you have to be to have your door get dinged, take it to a body shop, have it happen again three months later, take it to a body shop, and then have it happen AGAIN three months later and not think "maybe I can just drive around with a door ding...?"

Also, "why don't stadiums in Europe have parking lots" is just... Chef's kiss, no notes.

quote:

I hate cars: why do some stadiums in Europe have no parking lots?

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao that walking down the champs Elysees is a million times safer than walking down any American suburban street

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Clark Nova posted:

advertising "unlimited mental health benefits for employees" is some hellworld poo poo

It really is. That company was has been using mental illness as advertising for over a decade, "Bell Let's Talk Day" ... then their employees got media attention for pointing out their benefits for mental wellness were garbage so ... I guess this is the latest salvo in that corporate war.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol. I didn't know that NJT sold the naming rights to the stub of a rail line from Secaucus to the Meadowlands to BetMGM so it's called the BMGM line. Also the schedule either isn't posted properly anywhere or it only seems to run a few times per day for special events? Google directions depending on the time of day say it's an hour or more by bus to go the whopping 12km from Newark Penn to the Meadowlands (where besides the sports facilities, the AMERICAN DREAM mall is located). The actual travel time for the trains is 20min total.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'm taking the blue chew line™ to pound town

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

video shows 6, maybe 7 people waiting in cars. out of control.

Puppy Burner
Sep 9, 2011
Maybe the drivers should have made better life decisions to avoid winding up in this situation?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The congestion may have something to do with the very clear road construction going on in the video not the bike lane on the side.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The traffic light on the motorway off ramp intersection on my way to work has been out of order for a few days. This has caused car traffic to just disintegrate into what I understand is a complete gridlock and kilometers of queue on the motorway and similar on the other road. Meanwhile, because all the cars are moving slowly or not at all, it's effectively just green light for bikes in all directions. It kinda owns. Also I'm possibly being a slight rear end in a top hat for not stopping and letting the cars go first, but eh...

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
https://twitter.com/KartoonistKelly/status/1661839000540160000

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when i went to dc i stayed at this hotel that had an underground mall type place attached to it by a tunnel thing and within the mall was a subway. i thought that was cool. i like those underground mall things like they have in the northeast. i was in a really big one once in philly. also in philly i believe i took the subway to the inside of the airport which was amazing

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattRuscigno/status/1661833236467830784

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lmfao

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

:discourse:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

tbf there are a lot of people* who feel very passionately about this and are convinced bike lanes are decimating their business

*and by people i mean a cranky minority at yonge and sheppard

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

cash crab posted:

tbf there are a lot of people* who feel very passionately about this and are convinced bike lanes are decimating their business

*and by people i mean a cranky minority at yonge and sheppard

Yeah this happened in KC because a particular small business tyrant complained until the city removed a bike lane in front of his business.

Now why would a guy who owns a body shop be so against bike lanes :thunk:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I was about to scroll past the blue check replies and not read them, but it's literally the only person who doesn't get the joke

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

ikanreed posted:

I was about to scroll past the blue check replies and not read them, but it's literally the only person who doesn't get the joke

think bigger. they are both on point. let's not let twitter put our big thoughts in micro-boxes

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Saw these two bikes at the Walmart bike rack.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Saw these two bikes at the Walmart bike rack.

bike with a chainsaw motor is iconic but this appears to be store bought instead of crudely diy'd which reduces it to fail + annoying tier. sorry.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ham Equity posted:

It's lucky nobody was sitting there, so the cops don't have to investigate why someone with a car was waiting at a bus stop.

Didn't that happen recently? Or something along those lines people being like uhhhh why is ______ at ______?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
An interesting arguement to present to people who are assholes about bike lanes - not that it would matter but its not a bad op ed

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2023/05/14/do-you-order-meal-delivery-then-you-should-defend-bike-lanes-heres-why.html

quote:

Do you order meal delivery? Then you should defend bike lanes. Here’s why

quote:

There are likely a lot of people using bike couriers who oppose the lanes that make it safer for those same people to come to their door.

quote:

App-based delivery workers have changed the city, a classic “tech disruption” we can see on the streets, one that also turns the tired old trope of objecting to cycling infrastructure into a morally indefensible and hypocritical position.

Two-wheeled delivery people are everywhere, like a cartoon of a busy metropolis with workers buzzing all over the city. As Toronto’s incomplete network of bike lanes has slowly knitted together, the number of cyclists on the streets has grown, year round — so much so that a simple crosstown commute routinely means being part of an easygoing peloton of other commuters, even without the delivery folks added into the mix.

Including them, along with pedestrians, scooter riders and everyone else, Toronto’s public thoroughfares have become extremely busy, shared places. Seeing the delivery people at work is a glimpse of the scale of Toronto’s “gig” and service economy at work. The convenience of the apps has permeated the marketplace, changing the way restaurants work and giving rise to “ghost kitchens” that prepare food exclusively for delivery.

The delivery apps have saturated Toronto to such an extent that there’s likely an awful lot of people receiving goods delivered on bike who oppose the infrastructure that makes it safer for the people who come to their door. For example, in some of Toronto’s wealthiest neighbourhoods off Yonge Street, there are shouty lawn signs demanding the removal of the Yonge bike lane, yet spend time on the street and you’ll see delivery folks using them.

This is how the apps have disrupted the argument around bike lanes and made it a moral one: they’ve expanded the connection to bike lanes beyond the many people who use the lanes themselves to the people who use services that benefit from that infrastructure. With some mayoral candidates calling for bike lane removal, it’s a timely moral issue to think about.

Never mind the general lack of empathy for fellow humans and city residents who simply ride bikes, choosing not to clog up the streets with another car. Do the people with signs on their lawns think the safety of the workers who bring them Pad Thai and Swiss Chalet quarter chicken dinners are important?

There is a dehumanizing detachment that comes with the apps: it’s easy to tap a few things on your phone and forget somebody has to make the food and another to bring it to them. It’s technology that comes with a lot of overlooked human effort. In 2017, when apps were just being adopted, I rode with a delivery cyclist one evening. Apart from the interesting ping-pong route traversing the city from restaurants to homes, the way people interacted with the delivery person was striking. So many times it was as if a human wasn’t even there: the door opened and food received with barely a word.

It’s true that the delivery riders have brought other issues with them. Many ride on sidewalks, blow red lights or even park their bikes in the bike lane. As a cyclist and pedestrian, I’ve had my share of annoying moments. Recently, one Toronto city councillor put forth a motion to create a licensing structure for bike couriers, an echo of the perennial call to license all cyclists, one that is inevitably abandoned because it would not work or achieve intended aims.

This recent motion at council was also dropped, with Gig Workers United, a union looking to organize delivery workers, rightly shifting the responsibility to the multinational companies that employ them and profit off the workers without providing the basic protections other employers are required to.

The companies are conspicuously absent in this civic conversation too, despite the profound changes and challenges they’ve laid on cities like Toronto where they operate.

Despite our annoyances with individual cyclists, there are a few things to consider. Many are new riders, jumping on the bike to hustle for money. If you hang around Union Station at the end of the evening you’ll see delivery people waiting for GO buses and trains to take them home to farther afield suburbs. Also, while some riders have slick e-bikes, others have squeaky old heaps that don’t fit them. It’s not an easy job.

There’s a good argument that providing more safe cycling infrastructure will encourage more riders to stay off the sidewalks. Where are the companies adding their hefty voices to the calls for it?

As Gig Workers United says, the companies are downloading all risk and responsibility to riders, so any licensing scheme should be directed at them rather than the precarious and poorly paid delivery people. These companies should also be helping pay for the infrastructure they profit from through taxes, and they should do better at training their riders in how to get around safely and respectfully.

I have faith delivery rider culture will evolve, but we should appreciate how much they’ve turned Toronto into an even greater cycling city, and ask if we care enough to provide them basic safe infrastructure while eating the feast they’ve brought to our doors.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

re: that article, yeah, there is a tendency for people in big cities (i am in toronto so ymmv) (heh) to be obsessed with ever increasing demands for convenience particularly as their work encroaches further into their personal lives, and no, they have often have no regard for the humanity of the people who courier their food directly to their doors. street facing businesses here in particular, i suspect, dislike bike lanes because it impedes on parking spaces despite also relying on foot traffic. i think the assumption is people drive somewhere and then walk around. personally i can't drive but i understand some people really do this

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Didn't that happen recently? Or something along those lines people being like uhhhh why is ______ at ______?

Yes, it's a direct reference to police investigating why the victim of a speeding Dodge Ram was in the bus shelter when he owned a car. I was unable to find a single update to this incident from back in September so I hope that investigation is going well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

eXXon posted:

I was unable to find a single update to this incident from back in September so I hope that investigation is going well.

It's going well. The car is going to be a-ok :)

Weka
May 5, 2019

Smythe posted:

when i went to dc i stayed at this hotel that had an underground mall type place attached to it by a tunnel thing and within the mall was a subway. i thought that was cool. i like those underground mall things like they have in the northeast. i was in a really big one once in philly. also in philly i believe i took the subway to the inside of the airport which was amazing

I like the blues brothers mall scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

some tit in my locale has started using a moped which is twice the volume of Krakatoa erupting. it also smells.

mopeds, a quarter the size of a car but somehow four times as annoying. you can’t say they’re not efficient.