Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Without getting into :nsa: what is the function of that ship in this war? My only experience with Russian AGI types was over in the Pacific when they tailed us around the Sea of Japan (while the Japanese tailed them and the Koreans tailed them and...). What does an AGI contribute from 200nm away from the coast when the adversary doesn't actually have a Navy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:eng101: It's the Battle off Samar, not the Battle of Samar.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Sure did, Taffy 3 won and held the field.

That was my exact thinking.

Vengarr posted:

It’s a little overplayed since the transports were mostly empty by the time Samar happened, there weren’t that many left—A Japanese scout plane counted 35. Kurita knew that they would be fleeing the gulf at flank speed and he didn’t have the means to catch them or the fleeing TF38. And most importantly, Kurita wanted to fight the warships. The whole point was for the Navy to commit glorious seppeku, but killing a bunch of empty transports and then getting annihilated by a retaliatory air strike wasn’t glorious. He would have been much happier running into the battleship force and going down swinging. As it was he steamed around looking for them, did nothing but lose more ships to air strikes, and had to slink home in sadness.

I thought the Japanese task force was prepared to conduct shore bombardments of the landing forces. While that wouldn't have prevented the landings, it could have devastated the American forces that wouldn't have had time to dig in, and destroyed a lot of supplies and hardware needed for the landings, making repelling the invasion a more feasible prospect for the defenders.

Am I wrong about that?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

They fought like lions, and the detail that always stuck with me was the carrier pilots continuing to make attack runs long after their guns ran dry knowing that distracting or disrupting a gun crew would make a real difference. Just incredible stuff.

That’s a good detail, I also like how one of the destroyers had an ice cream maker on board (I forgot why as they were reserved for bigger ships, I think they might have pulled strings to get it), and this meant they could produce very valuable trade items when bartering with other ships.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A.o.D. posted:

I thought the Japanese task force was prepared to conduct shore bombardments of the landing forces. While that wouldn't have prevented the landings, it could have devastated the American forces that wouldn't have had time to dig in, and destroyed a lot of supplies and hardware needed for the landings, making repelling the invasion a more feasible prospect for the defenders.

Am I wrong about that?

No, you're right. The landing forces were basically naked on the beach during that time.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I think they're confusing the Philippines and Okinawa

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s a good detail, I also like how one of the destroyers had an ice cream maker on board (I forgot why as they were reserved for bigger ships, I think they might have pulled strings to get it), and this meant they could produce very valuable trade items when bartering with other ships.

I can't place my source, but I have heard that that one was simply stolen by the crew right before departing port.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

McNally posted:

Admiral Kurita would disagree with you about that.

Throwing away ships to commit glorious seppuku, as you somewhat distastefully put it, didn't happen until later.

Prior to the battle the army made a serious argument that the operation was not worth the fuel needed to get the ships to sea, and only relented when they were told explicitly that the goal was to die with honor. Unless Ian Toll’s account was completely fabricated, that would seem definitive.

A.o.D. posted:

Am I wrong about that?

I think that was a tertiary goal at best, they certainly weren’t loaded up with the HE shells you would need for a serious bombardment.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 27, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Stultus Maximus posted:

Without getting into :nsa: what is the function of that ship in this war? My only experience with Russian AGI types was over in the Pacific when they tailed us around the Sea of Japan (while the Japanese tailed them and the Koreans tailed them and...). What does an AGI contribute from 200nm away from the coast when the adversary doesn't actually have a Navy?

Intel ships generally are there to suck up every bit of EM in the area. Every radio & radar wave that it can. With a bunch of antennas its possible to get an absolute ton of information.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

ded posted:

Intel ships generally are there to suck up every bit of EM in the area. Every radio & radar wave that it can. With a bunch of antennas its possible to get an absolute ton of information.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. If I remember right, they rushed the straight prepared for a fight with cruisers and capital ships, which is why initially they were firing AP shells that weren't having their full effect against the American destroyers. They definitely had HE, because once the guns switched over, the hits had much greater effect.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

A.o.D. posted:

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. If I remember right, they rushed the straight prepared for a fight with cruisers and capital ships, which is why initially they were firing AP shells that weren't having their full effect against the American destroyers. They definitely had HE, because once the guns switched over, the hits had much greater effect.

yup, they were getting through and throughs, which while damaging were nowhere near as devastating as an internal explosion would be

was it samar that had the insanely lucky single bomb kill on a japanese capital ship too?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's been mentioned in other threads by other people - it's a good bet that this intel ship is being used to monitor what the Ukrainians are doing anti-air and air force wise, as well as monitoring how the Ukrainians react to Russian Air Force/cruise missile attacks.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A.o.D. posted:

:lol:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Cool album, by the way. Those Xians make me nervous.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

yup, they were getting through and throughs, which while damaging were nowhere near as devastating as an internal explosion would be

was it samar that had the insanely lucky single bomb kill on a japanese capital ship too?

Somebody got a hit on, iirc, the Chikuma's torpedoes, which caused a massive secondary explosion and RIP heavy cruiser. Originally it was supposed to be one of the CVEs that got the hit, but later scholarship says no.

edit Chōkai' was the torpedo hit by gunfire. Suzuya also had a secondary explosion of torpedoes after a near miss from a bomb. Chikuma was just torpedoed repeatedly by Avengers.

I make that about 44,000 tons worth of heavy cruisers sunk by 60,000 tons of CVEs, DDs, and DDes. A truly amazing loss ratio in Taffy 3's favor.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 27, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Somebody got a hit on, iirc, the Chikuma's torpedoes, which caused a massive secondary explosion and RIP heavy cruiser. Originally it was supposed to be one of the CVEs that got the hit, but later scholarship says no.

I think the book describes a lucky bomb down the funnel, but the long and short of it was that a ship went boom for whatever reason

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I think the book describes a lucky bomb down the funnel, but the long and short of it was that a ship went boom for whatever reason

Two of them in just this battle! Another CA was lost at Midway to torpedoes detonating on board after damage.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I have it on pretty good authority that your conclusions were all wrong, Ryan. Halsey acted stupidly

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Halsey was wrong

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Vengarr posted:

Prior to the battle the army made a serious argument that the operation was not worth the fuel needed to get the ships to sea, and only relented when they were told explicitly that the goal was to die with honor. Unless Ian Toll’s account was completely fabricated, that would seem definitive.

You're misremembering. It wasn't the explicit goal of the operation else that would have been in Kurita's orders. The IJN definitely felt it was infinitely better to go down fighting than to end the war ignominiously in port and definitely used that as an argument to get the army to agree to the plan but per Toll, the operation's "unstated purpose (emphasis mine) was to ensure that the Japanese fleet put up one last good fight before the war came to an end."

If the explicit goal was to sink at Leyte then why carry enough fuel to withdraw? That fuel, as the army pointed out, would have better use elsewhere.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Pikehead posted:

It's been mentioned in other threads by other people - it's a good bet that this intel ship is being used to monitor what the Ukrainians are doing anti-air and air force wise, as well as monitoring how the Ukrainians react to Russian Air Force/cruise missile attacks.

There's also a bunch of US/NATO stuff flying over the black sea to watch things from outside Ukrainian and Russian airspace.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

mllaneza posted:

Two of them in just this battle! Another CA was lost at Midway to torpedoes detonating on board after damage.

A dive bomber at midway got a bomb into the hangar bay of a carrier too, to great effect.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/irgarner/status/1662352338894323713

New GEN Zaluzhny dropped, telling the AFU it is time to take back what is theirs.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

As the commentator follows up, the difference between Ukrainian propaganda and Russian propaganda speaks worlds.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

orange juche posted:

New GEN Zaluzhny dropped, telling the AFU it is time to take back what is theirs.

Almost entirely Western weapons and weapon systems shown in that video.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

orange juche posted:

The interesting thing about that video is that it's the first one I've seen from ukraine that is

1) shot and filmed like a western commercial

2) not in english and clearly aimed at the Ukrainian military itself.

This is intended as a St. Crispin's Day type thing.

Alchenar posted:

As the commentator follows up, the difference between Ukrainian propaganda and Russian propaganda speaks worlds.

The Ukrainians have a lot more to work with.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The interesting thing about that video is that it's the first one I've seen from ukraine that is

1) shot and filmed like a western commercial

2) not in english and clearly aimed at the Ukrainian military itself.

This is intended as a St. Crispin's Day type thing.

The Ukrainians have a lot more to work with.

Saw it and immediately thought of the Vikings tv series for some reason, gave off big vibes. :thumbsup: :ukraine:

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
They have come a long way from this:

https://youtu.be/tJKFNPGS_XM

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mzuri posted:

I mean the subtitles are straight made up but its a big difference in tone

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mzuri posted:

I mean they still produced one of the best army recruitment videos ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOCbW1hc6Ng

e: 4 years between them!

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 27, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Alchenar posted:

e: 4 years between them!

drat that first one looks thirty years old

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Snowy posted:

drat that first one looks thirty years old

Big difference is 2014 happened. Getting invaded changes your army from a joke into something that is defending your way of life.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

Kurita is pretty clear that his mission was to engage the transports and then withdraw. Which means penetrating the transports screening force and potentially dealing with any bombardment force of out of date warships.

So driving in with AP and then planning to switch to HE is entirely appropriate.

Having HE on hand is also not equivalent to being loaded with HE for a bombardment mission where you carry little or no AP and even often carry so much HE that it’s overflowing the magazine into deck spaces.

Edit:

quote:

Halsey acted stupidly

Seems apt. Halsey knew that on the day before aircraft and subs had engaged two different strike groups of capital ships heading for two different straits right at the landing force and he decides to hair off hundreds of miles against a carrier fleet?

I get not wanting to get caught in a trap but he had a massive force and took all of it off with him knowing poo poo was incoming. He could have screened the landing force from much closer to the north, especially once he knew the Surigao strait force had been rebuffed.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 27, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Halsey acted foolishly, Ryan.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
He’s been right and wrong about stuff before, but his main wheelhouse is naval news and tactics. He suspects the fuzing/timing on the unmanned boat bombs isn’t very effective and these attacks are ending in little damage.

https://twitter.com/covertshores/status/1662377165134897152?s=46&t=fppHBZSlD4AbSz5pJxjFMQ

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

FrozenVent posted:

Halsey acted foolishly, Ryan.

And on this page, even

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1662174358217867268

I realize it's kind of old hat by this point, but some of these Russian media fantasies are just beyond comedy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Scaring Americans turns out poorly for all involved, generally speaking.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

LRADIKAL posted:

Scaring Americans turns out poorly for all involved, generally speaking.

We are easily startled and heavily armed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1662174358217867268

I realize it's kind of old hat by this point, but some of these Russian media fantasies are just beyond comedy.

Pearl Harbor worked exactly as planned for Japan. Totally deterred the isolationist US from not stomping their face in to the point of fundamentally changing their national identity