Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

well it is an alternate dimension / time travel story, that's just not a part of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
For the record, the book is called "Forever Twenty Summers" and it's an optional book you can find during the quest "Hitting the Books" (the actual clickable object is labeled as "Well-worn Manual").

Forever Twenty Summers posted:

My beloved seekers of knowledge. Have you ever put learning before your health, and neglected to feed and rest your body as you should?

I, too, once engaged in such foolish practices. But one night, engrossed in philosophical study, I had an epiphany:

For all the world's mysteries that drive us to reckless abandon, we have so very few years of life in which to achieve our goals.

Thus do I share with you this mantra: I am forever twenty summers young.

The number itself is unimportant─you could be nineteen, or twenty-three, or forty. Whatever age you are when you discover this manual, let that be the age you aspire to remain.

Through mindful, healthy living, will you extend the time available to spend upon your chosen research─another day, another moon, another summer to grasp the greater truths you pursue.
In the pages that follow, we will explore the secrets of maintaining one's physical condition from a biological, aetherological, and arcane viewpoint...

Notably, Y'shtola claims to be twenty-three.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Isn't this all a reference to a famous Japanese actress who has insisted that she's 18 for the last 20 years or so?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibblebibble posted:

Isn't this all a reference to a famous Japanese actress who has insisted that she's 18 for the last 20 years or so?

I kind of doubt it's a reference to anything specific because I feel like I've been hearing variations on that joke for most of my life

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

I think it's not really a one exclusive person thing, there's just an ongoing joke about "I've been 23 for the last 15 years" kinda stuff on both sides of the ocean.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
One of Y'shtola's subtle points of characterization is that she's very careful about constructing a particular polished-and-wise image of herself. Some of this that didn't make it into the English text but did show up in the French is that in the French localization, almost all Miqo'te NPCs roll their Rs at least a little. Though I have not played through the entire game in French, every time I've checked in with Y'shtola, she does not exhibit this particular speech quirk. I choose to believe she's doing that very purposefully.

Additional fun related fact: G'raha Tia rolls the occasional R. It even shows up in some voiced cutscenes. The Crystal Exarch does not.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Huh. And all this time, I thought that one female Miqo'te that spoke like a cat was just being weird.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Huh. And all this time, I thought that one female Miqo'te that spoke like a cat was just being weird.

It's the way Mithra talk in FFXI

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Since Shadowbringers there's also the weirdness where Y'shtola (along with Thancred and Urianger) is like 5 years older than the body she inhabits, which adds some additional wrinkles to her lying about her age lmao.

I think overall I agree that Y'shtola is a good character where she's at, but in considering what sort of development she could get, that's where I feel she's in a weird spot. She doesn't necessarily need development. Sometimes you've got a work buddy or colleague you just never get to know that well and has their own poo poo going on.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Y'shtola was absolutely a turbo nerd growing up; braces, coke bottle glasses, sailor moon wallscrolls, etc etc.

She did the whole "reinvent yourself in college" thing, and is determined to make sure it sticks.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

the_steve posted:

Y'shtola was absolutely a turbo nerd growing up; braces, coke bottle glasses, sailor moon wallscrolls, etc etc.

She did the whole "reinvent yourself in college" thing, and is determined to make sure it sticks.

Case in point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ldTM27mlc4

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

bobtheconqueror posted:

Since Shadowbringers there's also the weirdness where Y'shtola (along with Thancred and Urianger) is like 5 years older than the body she inhabits, which adds some additional wrinkles to her lying about her age lmao.

I think overall I agree that Y'shtola is a good character where she's at, but in considering what sort of development she could get, that's where I feel she's in a weird spot. She doesn't necessarily need development. Sometimes you've got a work buddy or colleague you just never get to know that well and has their own poo poo going on.

There is an element where wanting a Y'shtola arc is almost selfish; she doesn't have personal growth she needs to go through like Alphinaud, she doesn't have unfulfilled needs like Thancred. She's already sorted her poo poo out before we met her, and that's great. If FFXIV were a game with an expanded universe going on, she'd be a perfect protagonist for a prequel.

We just want to see Y'shtola get more story because even the people who don't like Y'shtola know she's good for it. She gets so few scenes ABOUT her, but can really steal the show if given them, you know she'd have a fantastic character arc if they gave her one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

This is a very common phenomenon so this is almost certainly not a reference, but Kikuko Inoue's version of that joke is one of the best in the business

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Blockhouse posted:

It's the way Mithra talk in FFXI

Yup, it has always struck me as referencing that. There are a handful of ARR NPCs that exhibit this dialogue quirk, just like you get a few lalas that do the alliteration thing that tarutaru were known for in FFXI, but the English localization very swiftly abandoned both of those things. The French, however, carried on with it so much that even Miqo'te dialogue from recent seasonal events will have the quirk incorporated. It's kinda neat!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The 'normal' male miqo'te retainer also rrrolls his rrrs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's actually really easy to forget that the base races are all essentially based on the XI races

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

It's actually really easy to forget that the base races are all essentially based on the XI races

Yeah. This is XI art:

Just need to add a few to update it for XIV

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
FFXI's art had such good vibes :allears: I should give the weird new single-player-viable incarnation a shot one of these days. Most of the game mechanics went over my head as a 12 year old.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Re: Y'shtola's Age, I decided to see what the Fandom Wiki had to say:

It then has the following note:
Y'shtola's younger sister Y'mhitra Rhul is 26, and Y'shtola said she was Alphinaud's age when the Sharlayan Colony was abandoned, 15 years ago, which would make her approximately 32.

And then, of course, there's also this to consider:

bobtheconqueror posted:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cephas posted:

FFXI's art had such good vibes :allears: I should give the weird new single-player-viable incarnation a shot one of these days. Most of the game mechanics went over my head as a 12 year old.

Good news, a significant amount of ffxi is single player viable now

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FeatherFloat posted:

Yup, it has always struck me as referencing that. There are a handful of ARR NPCs that exhibit this dialogue quirk, just like you get a few lalas that do the alliteration thing that tarutaru were known for in FFXI, but the English localization very swiftly abandoned both of those things. The French, however, carried on with it so much that even Miqo'te dialogue from recent seasonal events will have the quirk incorporated. It's kinda neat!
I'm imagining this as the 1960s Catwoman rolling her arrs to sound morrrre like she's purrrrring, or whatever its equivalent in French would be.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

you can pretty much roll through all of the mission quests (basically msq) in ff11 with a trust party - I think you'd need a particular setup for the very last boss of rhapsodies, but maybe that was just me playing white mage at the time.

and, I mean. you can't say you've played every final fantasy until you play 11.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

IIRC Thancred 5 years older mentally, Y'shtola and Urianger 3 years, and the twins 1 year.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My ff11 experience was playing it like 6 years ago for the first time, it was cool although the UI was hard to get used to. The quest to become a dark knight was really funny and I almost hosed up counting the amount of enemies or w/e I had to kill with the lovely scythe they give you.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The hardest part of FF11 is setting up an account and logging in. I've never seen anything like it.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Right after you meet up with Krile and she says she'll deal with the paperwork to get you into the Aetherfront, she complains to herself that she still has so much more work to do and then the she looks at an envelope on the desk, while the camera zooms in on it.

When you're talking to Lahabrea in the Panda quests and the conversation turns towards the Heart of Sabik, you can bring up Ultima the High Seraph. Some time in the conversation he says the power was otherworldly entirely and was just found mysteriously with no source on the planet.

There's also a whole-rear end cutscene about the auracites and the Ultimas if you talk to Claudien again after finishing the last raid quest.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

stev posted:

The hardest part of FF11 is setting up an account and logging in. I've never seen anything like it.

This and getting used to the weird rear end control scheme that you can’t rebind.

I played for the free login campaign a few months ago and it was fun but you def need a lot of time to play through it. I was lv50something and still working through the 1.0 quests

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Badger of Basra posted:

This and getting used to the weird rear end control scheme that you can’t rebind.

I played for the free login campaign a few months ago and it was fun but you def need a lot of time to play through it. I was lv50something and still working through the 1.0 quests

I heard there's some sort of third party addon that lets you play it like a hotbar MMO but I haven't googled this

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i'm pretty shocked there hasnt been an option to pay an extra 2 bucks a month to bake a ffxi sub into your ffxiv one, or something similar

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think that may be something planned in the future.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah I guess that's the equivalent of WoW adding Classic to its sub, since 1.0 ain't ever going to be brought back.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it feels like something I've heard rumors about for half a decade now, at this point I just assume it isn't happening since they either think everyone playing FFXI now is like 95% of the population who'd play it even if it was free, or they just straight up don't know how to integrate the payment systems.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

stev posted:

Yeah I guess that's the equivalent of WoW adding Classic to its sub, since 1.0 ain't ever going to be brought back.

NIGHTMARE.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Doing the Tataru quest stuff for this patch finally

...:qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq: :qq:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

when 1.0 came out there was a combined sub option but it got dropped when tanaka left and didn't get picked back up when the legacy sub came online at the end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I will say that the lack of any real way to experience 1.0's plot is probably my biggest complaint with the game. I obviously don't *want* them to bring back 1.0 but it would be nice if they had something that allowed you to go through the plot, even in a reduced format.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I will say that the lack of any real way to experience 1.0's plot is probably my biggest complaint with the game. I obviously don't *want* them to bring back 1.0 but it would be nice if they had something that allowed you to go through the plot, even in a reduced format.

There were 5 actual plot points in 1.0's plot and they added 3 more leading up to 1.2x when it ended. There's almost nothing to experience there that isn't repeated in ARR or brought back and reworked later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There were 5 actual plot points in 1.0's plot and they added 3 more leading up to 1.2x when it ended. There's almost nothing to experience there that isn't repeated in ARR or brought back and reworked later.

Eh, it'd be nice ot see Louie as something besides a cutscene man.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This is probably as a succinct and comprehensive look at 1.0 - 1.23 as we can get. To my knowledge quests, and thus plot, was actually quite sparse compared to ARR anyways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZgp8mUrog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it'd be nice ot see Louie as something besides a cutscene man.

He was basically a cutscene man back then as well because all there was plot wise was essentially a handful of cutscene between dozens of hours of leve grinding.