Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Mr. Sharps posted:

hope you’re buying extra skinny cables

i find regular patch cables fit in there fine. i have to carefully place my light up and mult cables though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost
I'm entering a metal period, and I went off on a tangent two weeks ago watching youtubes about EVH's brown sound. I didn't own a tube amp, but I know enough electronics to know that varying input voltage on digital components will either fry them, fail due to design thresholds, or have no effect at all. So I figured as my first foray into analog stuff I'd try a baby hybrid first, before I fork out for a real tube amp. This thing has a tube preamp but power is solid state; might be interesting to see what happens. It was also near my birthday, and time to get a metal-oriented guitar. I received the guitar Monday (ESP EC-1000 Blue natural fade), the Variac yesterday, and the Micro Terror is out for delivery today. w00t

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

Just one semi-modular, they say. I can get a semi-modular and scratch that itch to plug cables into other things, they say. Next thing you know, you’re buying a $600 CS-80 repro filter and are pondering where you went wrong in life…

I wasn't joking about this, either:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

stephen_falken posted:

I'm entering a metal period, and I went off on a tangent two weeks ago watching youtubes about EVH's brown sound. I didn't own a tube amp, but I know enough electronics to know that varying input voltage on digital components will either fry them, fail due to design thresholds, or have no effect at all. So I figured as my first foray into analog stuff I'd try a baby hybrid first, before I fork out for a real tube amp. This thing has a tube preamp but power is solid state; might be interesting to see what happens. It was also near my birthday, and time to get a metal-oriented guitar. I received the guitar Monday (ESP EC-1000 Blue natural fade), the Variac yesterday, and the Micro Terror is out for delivery today. w00t

Godspeed

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

bought a tiny travel guitar off my bestie

first time owning a stringed instrument since high school. having a lot of fun learning silly right hand techniques

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

NuclearPotato posted:

I wasn't joking about this, either:

well, CV control over resonance is a premium feature.
I'm happy with my tiptop and dreadbox cheapies

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
The working conditions in Firefly's factory must be hellish, but drat

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

mweber posted:

The working conditions in Firefly's factory must be hellish, but drat

They use a bunch of different makers, so multiply that over multiple places.

That model has been around for a while, just not as a Firefly. Used to be all over AliExpress with Fender logo headstocks and custom shop decals. I played one once, and it was absolute garbage. Bad paint and unplayable action due to terrible beck angles. Hopefully they have one of the better builders making these.

I see they have their Chckenbacker bass and 12 string up now. Cheap enough, but I'm waiting for the new Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XII.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

widefault posted:

I'm waiting for the new Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XII.

You and me both

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, that looks amazing

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Holy gently caress

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

widefault posted:

They use a bunch of different makers, so multiply that over multiple places.

That model has been around for a while, just not as a Firefly. Used to be all over AliExpress with Fender logo headstocks and custom shop decals. I played one once, and it was absolute garbage. Bad paint and unplayable action due to terrible beck angles. Hopefully they have one of the better builders making these.

I see they have their Chckenbacker bass and 12 string up now. Cheap enough, but I'm waiting for the new Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XII.

Ooo, I just need to add a blend knob or a second volume and it'll be perfect

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
A friend has always wanted one of these and he wasn’t in the position to grab it when it came up locally. Long as one of us got it, right?

2011 Vintage Modified Jaguar HB with the three band EQ.

The neck was hilariously bowed. I got it flattened out and was letting it sit for the night, but it’ll probably get my maple Korean neck tomorrow and the Hipshot bridge. :sotw:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 14, 2023

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Sockington posted:

The neck was hilariously bowed. I got it flattened out and was letting it sit for the night, but it’ll probably get my maple Korean neck tomorrow and the Hipshot bridge. :sotw:

I wanna make a joke about this, but all I can do is stare at the pic in wonder.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

I believe that's called peyronie's disease

stephen_falken
Mar 28, 2023

by the sex ghost

Verman posted:

I believe that's called peyronie's disease

LOL yep that's about as bad it it gets. That's so bad that even if it's your guitar neck, you should have the Dr look at your dick

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I bought a 70s Made in USA Fender for $130 and I guarantee more than one person will think I paid too much.

1970 Fender F-1000 parlor-size acoustic. Made in Chicago by Harmony for Fender. Literally a Harmony Stella with a different logo and pickguard. With my 1971 Stella, which is a much better player.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

REINFORCED neck!

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
bought some 42 hp cases to hold my leftover modules and i ended up with this monstrosity

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Just got this 1975 Burny FLG-70 complete with “Les Paul” script inlay. Didn’t have original pickups so I put in some Lace humbuckers that are wound to emulate Billy Gibbons tone. The workmanship on this thing is astoundingly great and it plays like a dream. The neck is in between a 50s thick and a 60s thin and feels perfect. The action is low and doesn’t buzz at all. Frets need a polish but that’s no biggy.

(Photo taken at work)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

CatBlack posted:

bought some 42 hp cases to hold my leftover modules and i ended up with this monstrosity

haha, cells and behringer modules I can see as leftovers, but milky way doesn't rate a spot in the main case?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

B33rChiller posted:

haha, cells and behringer modules I can see as leftovers, but milky way doesn't rate a spot in the main case?

im really stoked about a bunch of the non behringer / cells modules (traffic in particular omg). they're just not going in my main case because i dont want to move stuff around in it. i kinda like a bunch of effects modules in this rack because its gonna go between my neutrons and main case.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Been patching in bed. Good and noisy. The EQ pedal and matrix mixer are new

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

CatBlack posted:

(traffic in particular omg).

whoa. need one (several) yesterday

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
aux rack forming

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
My bass amp died... I always bypass preamps in favor of the one on my pedal board, so figured I'd just replace it with a power amp + conditioner.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Just got a dx7 for a hundred bux.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The real deal for less than the volca version! Nice

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Yeah, I'm on vacation, so won't be able to plug it in til I get home. Found it at the same thrift store I found a Motu 828 mk2 last year.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jesus fuckin Christ.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

Looks like it powers on with no faults, has a couple repair tickets for a replaced battery and restore in 2015.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’ve never had a RAT before and the Dirty Nil is all about the RAT, so here we are. It’s got a number on the back.

Tossed some new strings on the Gorija and gave it a go. It was amazing in the effects loop of the old Traynor.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The dx7 is super clean.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i am so jealous of the thrift and pawn finds in this thread, like on a visceral level

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Man most pawn shops I've ever been into have been awful. Terrible guitars and amps that are priced at brand new MSRP prices or higher.

I'll never forget seeing a basic rear end Mexican strat for $900 (in the early 2000s when a new one was $450). A crate 2x12 for $1000 when they were like $300 new. Maybe I just had a really terrible shop.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I put together a kit guitar, it turned out better than I'd hoped! 12 string tele. The bridge is super weird, you can intonate the "fat" strings but for the octaves there's nothing.

Paint job is 100% krylon with a lot of satin clear coat on top.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
WOW!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
This week was Strat week.

Mako HSS Strat, bought for the neck to put on a different Mako

Hondo Deluxe Series 760 RW/R. Rosewood veneer on a solid wood body, matching headstock, rosewood fret board. And it plays and sounds excellent.

Hondo Deluxe Series 760 B/B, black with factory black hardware and pickguard. Dirt and funk included for free!

Hondo Standard Series H-7600 GS, Golden Sunburst

With color matched headstock

Yes, a sunburst headstock.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

that rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hey all! I've been doing a deep dive on my Mesa Mark V. I remember when I mentioned it in this thread, other people had one so I figured some people might be curious as to what I thought of the amp and what I can get out of it.

I put together a video explaining how I like to set up a Mark V and what I think is the best way to approach the amp. While I'm pretty happy with the sounds I get from the amp, I thought I'd post it here for fact-checking and to see if there's anything else I can do to squeeze more out of the behemoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt_Ms5GcX1M

In case you don't want to watch a 30 minute video...here are the tones I'm able to get out of this amp with the settings included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIUJmm8l5s

Would love any feedback from the experts! Cheers