Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Oh right, of course, because of the part where they're in prison.

durrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Hey, glad to have you here. For what it's worth, I kinda found SA in vaguely similar way. I didn't have access to the internet until I started college in 2006, and a friend had showed me something from here once upon a time so this became a "safe" pitstop. While the site has had its share of drama over the years, it's generally been a good filter to learn about the weirder parts of the internet without getting too into the weeds yourself. The userbase trending above 30 nowadays helps keep things chill as well.

If you're still here around Christmastime GBS puts out some amazingly awful music to ring in the season. The Secret Santa thread is pretty fun to participate in or watch also. PYF, or Post Your Favorite, is where I usually go to chill out and see what the rest of the internet is up to in terms of in-jokes or potentially interesting content. I also like Ask/Tell for in-depth discussion on specific topics or life stories.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Harvey don't stop being good. Seriously don't be trying to get interviews from podcasters and things like that there's people out there that want to know your story.

I know that might sound strange but you do have a hero's tale that should be told to the world. Hopefully somebody can reach out to you, and maybe making some Twitter posts would help that or something more public than something awful but you do have a story that's worth something to somebody to hear and you may get some interviews and things like that.

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

Revolute posted:

Making my first post in 10 years to say welcome to the forums, Harvey!

I’ve seen some guys in prison make electric guitars and stuff like that. Did you ever have any musicians or particularly good singers around in there?

I'm curious about this too, cause when I have nightmares about getting locked up, not being able to play music is one of the thoughts that really bums me out. What sorta music are you into OP?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

harveys zoo zoos posted:

i went to prison at age 19 for murder and served 27 years of my 30 year sentence and have been out for 1 year. i'm fasinated by the internet but the only exposure to it i had while inside was the e-mail and reading news sites. i want to know more about the culture and the history of the internet and learn about cool things i've missed.

i live with my 80 year old nearly blind mother and she doesnt know anything about the internet but my cousin told me to check out the reddit site but i didn't like it. he said this place might be better and i've been readind a little here and i like the conversation form here more than the reddit thing. i'm jobless and don't do much so i have a lot of time to sit and read this site, what should i start with? what internet do you suggest i read? what is the history of this site i know it has been around a long time so i'm sure you've all seen a lot of things. i know questions about my past and prison life will come up and i will answer some things but not all things.

i am earnest and sincere and my therapist says it will be good to engage with people who are interested in the same things i am. but the problem is i don't much know what i'm interested in in real life in the world. all i did inside was read books and try to survive.

i mean no harm or offense to anyone and i hope i can make friends here, my name is harvey and i hope you will be kind to me.

the real crime here is somethingawful.com being blocked by the prison industrial complex.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It's important to know that you don't owe the Internet anything, and any time you feel drawn to do something internet-related out of an obligation, that is a sign to step away. You don't need to capitalize on your popularity. You don't need to spread your messages, enhance your popularity, or grow your brand.

In today's Internet world, the product is you. There is a machine of fame set to pluck you out of obscurity, grant you access and reach and (a small percentage of) money, ask for more and more of your time, and then discard you as soon as some other sucker comes along or you say the wrong thing.

You don't need to tell more of your story anywhere, even here. You need to experience life outside and stay stable within yourself. Find your own joy that doesn't depend on a platform that someone else monetizes. This is true for everyone here, not just Harvey, but I especially don't want a little bit of notoriety to ruin someone with no experience in its effects.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

The internet fuckin loves cats.

Well yes and no - don't forget that Harvey is presumably unaware of the whole "bonsai kitten" thing :sigh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Rufus Ping posted:

Well yes and no - don't forget that Harvey is presumably unaware of the whole "bonsai kitten" thing :sigh:

Wtf

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Snopes is your friend.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/bonsai-kittens/

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Humorless GBS Fact Checking Crew easily confirms the ally mcbeal dancing baby is not real and hampster dance is NOT live footage of a cruel rodent powered musical sweatshop

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

harvey you wont believe it but president biden sealed a dog beneath the earth mid rally

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's not debunked by snopes so it must be true!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
harvey if you really what to hang out in GBS, read the last three pages. Then never do what someone who is permabanned did. Don't do that. It's always changing and confusing.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Getting “in” with a crowd of posters is actually really easy.

This one could have been called something like “IRC and forums go hand in hand”, because it’s true. An IRC channel for a subforum is like the behind-the-scenes spine that holds the thing together. Communities can form on forums themselves without anything else, sure, but the asynchronous form of post-wait-read-post doesn’t lend itself to human interaction in the same way that a real, synchronous chat like IRC does.
For forums that aren’t completely serious, like YOSPOS, people on IRC are generally ‘out of character’ compared to their forums selves. It’s almost like as though the forum itself is some sort of game, and the IRC channel is the discussion between people playing the game – one level more removed from the action of posting. You can easily have conversations with other people about themselves, and get to know them, and by doing so become part of the community in a way that you really can’t just by posting.

If you want to get “in” on a community, all it takes is posting, getting to know people, and getting into the IRC in order to really meet the different movers and shakers in the community that give it its particular character. Otherwise, you’ll only ever see the surface level that’s presented on the forums, and you’ll miss a lot of the undertext.

However, the forums have always traditionally had some level of bias against the corresponding IRC channels. This is probably because the IRC channels have never been official, and so they aren’t run and moderated by the same crew as the forums – leading to an alternate set of administrative types that have no official ties to the forums. Maybe there’s fear of “IRC cabals” or something, who knows. So far, my experience has been very benign, and I believe that a combination of realtime and asynchronous communication leads to a stronger community.

One caveat to this: you have to actually be a decent, likable person for this to work. If you're as much of an rear end in a top hat on IRC as you are on the forums, it's not going to make a bit of difference.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Welcome to outside of jail and also to something awful. I've enjoyed your thread so far.
Question for you. Do you plan to get any pets? If so what kinds?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Wait, people are still using IRC?

He said he's getting a cat

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Wait, people are still using IRC?

If not IRC then slack or discord

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Rufus Ping posted:

Getting “in” with a crowd of posters is actually really easy.

This one could have been called something like “IRC and forums go hand in hand”, because it’s true. An IRC channel for a subforum is like the behind-the-scenes spine that holds the thing together. Communities can form on forums themselves without anything else, sure, but the asynchronous form of post-wait-read-post doesn’t lend itself to human interaction in the same way that a real, synchronous chat like IRC does.
For forums that aren’t completely serious, like YOSPOS, people on IRC are generally ‘out of character’ compared to their forums selves. It’s almost like as though the forum itself is some sort of game, and the IRC channel is the discussion between people playing the game – one level more removed from the action of posting. You can easily have conversations with other people about themselves, and get to know them, and by doing so become part of the community in a way that you really can’t just by posting.

If you want to get “in” on a community, all it takes is posting, getting to know people, and getting into the IRC in order to really meet the different movers and shakers in the community that give it its particular character. Otherwise, you’ll only ever see the surface level that’s presented on the forums, and you’ll miss a lot of the undertext.

However, the forums have always traditionally had some level of bias against the corresponding IRC channels. This is probably because the IRC channels have never been official, and so they aren’t run and moderated by the same crew as the forums – leading to an alternate set of administrative types that have no official ties to the forums. Maybe there’s fear of “IRC cabals” or something, who knows. So far, my experience has been very benign, and I believe that a combination of realtime and asynchronous communication leads to a stronger community.

One caveat to this: you have to actually be a decent, likable person for this to work. If you're as much of an rear end in a top hat on IRC as you are on the forums, it's not going to make a bit of difference.

actually im pretty sure the yospos irc is just full of banned posters these days

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Hey, congrats on getting out. I used to teach ex-prisoners and other people who’d had a rough time for whatever reason. Its good you get chance to get your life back a bit – what sort of thing has left a big impression on you about the world outside so far?

I don’t know if these have been posted before but some tip
s
- If you want to copy some text on a computer, rather than type it out, you can select it all then on your keyboard press CTRL then C at the same time. You can now put it somewhere with CTRL and P. This is handy for websites, phone numbers, e-mail addresses etc.
- You can go to this website: https://earth.google.com and go anywhere in the world. The little guy can be dragged about onto the blue lines, but you can also use historical view to see things back in time
- There’s a website called https://www.imdb.com/ where you can find information about films on, as well as different actors or directors. It can be good to get a notepad and pen to write down stuff you want to see or have heard about maybe.
- If you don’t have it, get this program to watch films or videos you might have downloaded: https://www.videolan.org/ its called VLC
- If its possible and something you want to do, there’s other education or community projects you can do now you’re out. Some of the people I worked with were big into swimming or sports, but generally having a group of people around in a different context was good for them. poo poo like gardening, making art, cell phone photography, whichever, good to do stuff with others

Otherwise good luck with adjusting, sounds like you have good people around you as well. You mentioned having a therapist but if you’re interested, it could be worth doing stuff like getting a massage or looking into hypnotherapy sometime. You might be into this book sometime too (its about trauma).

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I had to google what an irc was.

Zoesdare
Sep 24, 2005

Still floofin

I’m 100% down for the Zoo Zoos Crew gang tag being a thing.

Harveys, I know you said earlier that more social workers on the inside and outside would be helpful, I definitely agree! Just curious if there is any type of support or therapy you’re aware of now that you’re out and attending therapy regularly that you think would benefit prisoners more.

Also you rock. Keep it up!

And for the heap of YouTube suggestions:

Odd Tinkering is a guy who restores all kinds of things, doesn’t talk, and puts up subtitles explaining what he’s doing. Very fun and low engagement to watch.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCf_suVrG2dA5BTjJhNLwthQ

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Harvey don't worry about :airquote: catching up :airquote: with everything on the internet. There's way too much stuff & most of it is pointless.

Also since you like fantasy books and dungeons and dragons, I would highly recommend Steven Erikson's Malazan Book Of The Fallen series. Its 10 books, they can be sorta hard to follow, but IMO they're amazing and some of the best fantasy ever written.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Alternatively - gently caress the Malazan books, read Brandon Sanderson.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

Alternatively - gently caress the Malazan books, read Brandon Sanderson.

Man can't write an ending worth a drat, even if you don't include the wheel of time (which was Robert Jordan's fault)

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
That reminds me - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams are an excellent 3 book fantasy series

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Vampire Panties posted:

the internet. most of it is pointless.

this is the key

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Private Cumshoe posted:

this is the key

this guy gets it

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Vampire Panties posted:

Harvey don't worry about :airquote: catching up :airquote: with everything on the internet. There's way too much stuff & most of it is pointless.

Also since you like fantasy books and dungeons and dragons, I would highly recommend Steven Erikson's Malazan Book Of The Fallen series. Its 10 books, they can be sorta hard to follow, but IMO they're amazing and some of the best fantasy ever written.

Malazan is not good btw

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Smugworth posted:

Did you ever make a Glock dookie

Answer the question op

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Tnuctip posted:

Flying cars don’t really exist like in a jetsons sense. Many companies are working on it but “they are 5 years away” from working. Who knows.

Word?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Also zoo zoo check out 3D printing. Probably a bunch of videos on YouTube. Real neat poo poo, printing physical things, that’s a big change.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Also, despite groundbreaking research in fusion, medical technology, and space flight, A1 steak sauce remains unsurpassed. The future is weird.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Tnuctip posted:

A1 steak sauce remains unsurpassed

Permaban this sick filth.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Vampire Panties posted:

That reminds me - Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn by Tad Williams are an excellent 3 book fantasy series

Also check out This Is How You Lose The Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Mac Gladstone. 200 page time-traveling sci-fi

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Permaban this sick filth.

iF you want steak sauce, name an easier to access one than A1

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Wholesome thread, welcome to SA. Show us the cat.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

harveys zoo zoos posted:

so what are you in for hahaha

Can you ask this in the prison(s) you did or would you just get your rear end kicked for asking or something?

Edit: oh yeah I read up on this thread and you said no don't ask it. I now remember that you should not tell anything about yourself because it's just going to be used against you.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 28, 2023

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Hey Harvey check out this cool video.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

XYZAB posted:

Hey Harvey check out this cool video.

Hey Harvey you should post a new thread in TV/IV with the title “Firefly deserved to get canceled” and then in the body of the thread post nothing but a link to that video I just showed you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

XYZAB posted:

Hey Harvey you should post a new thread in TV/IV with the title “Firefly deserved to get canceled” and then in the body of the thread post nothing but a link to that video I just showed you.

Hahahahah

Please give context