Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Aipsh posted:

Just got Case of The Golden Idol and I don’t know immediately it seems there’s a bug where the screen is spilling beyond the borders? I can’t make out some of the text in the edges and there’s no options to adjust anything. Anyone else seen this?

:Edit: it’s okay in docked mode hmm

Is that that murder mystery?

Lemme know if you figure out the technical issues. It looked neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/ForeverEntert/status/1662112577113956355

:(

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
TotK is so good, I've spent over 50 hours and haven't even done one divine beast or whatever the equivalent in this game is yet.

I would say I'm glad it has been years since I played BotW because of the overworld, rediscovering it with all the alterations is good but would have definitely felt samey if I'd gone straight from one into the other

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Also my solemn commitment to immediately drop whatever I'm doing to chase after meteorites is stopping me from getting anything done, but is very fun

I caught one out of the sky while paragliding earlier

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Also I love rockets strapped to shields as a revali's gale replacement

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Butterfly Valley posted:

Also I love rockets strapped to shields as a revali's gale replacement

Similarly, forget the rails, the best way to launch a wing/fan aircraft is with zonai rockets. JATO the gently caress out of it.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

TotK is so good, I've spent over 50 hours and haven't even done one divine beast or whatever the equivalent in this game is yet.

I would say I'm glad it has been years since I played BotW because of the overworld, rediscovering it with all the alterations is good but would have definitely felt samey if I'd gone straight from one into the other

At a minimum do the wind temple. The added mobility as a reward is so nice.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

FlapYoJacks posted:

At a minimum do the wind temple. The added mobility as a reward is so nice.

I'm currently on my way to the opposite corner of the map to see what's up with my house but I was intending to go back and do that one first yeah

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Katamari 2 next week!!!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Katamari 2 next week!!!

Oh that’ll be nice if I ever need a break from Zelda (ha!)

Still getting it even if I won’t play

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Jesus the game chugs like shiiit anytime there are more than eight enemies on screen and there are any environmental effects like fire at play huh

These monster forces missions feel pretty lovely to play docked lol maybe it's smoother handheld?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I had a N64, these frames drops have nothing on me… NOTHING!

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

You know you've got a game of rare quality when you start thinking of the real world in terms of ways you could utilize the in game mechanics.

Ascend is such a simple, elegant solution to the dead end cave element of open world games.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

KingSlime posted:

Jesus the game chugs like shiiit anytime there are more than eight enemies on screen and there are any environmental effects like fire at play huh

These monster forces missions feel pretty lovely to play docked lol maybe it's smoother handheld?

I did not notice very bad frame lag on either of the two monster squad missions I have done on my Switch Lite.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
When Kirby as pipe hits a wall at full speed he goes flat and falls over

Goty my kid went nuts for this

Also, anyone have Wuppo tips? He was very upset about being kicked out of the wumhouse

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

WarpDogs posted:

The world state of TotK just generally feels less "robust" than BotW, and instead is more reliant on the proper triggers and the right flags being switched on first

I discovered the Royal Hidden Passage early, and apparently entered it backwards. It was a really exhilarating time, but it ended up at a solid wall at Lookout Landing. I could hear the NPCs, but I couldn't open the wall. I ascended and spoke to both the NPCs nearby who were clearly planting the seeds for the quest, but they had no reaction. and even when the quest did unlock, they didn't acknowledge at all that I'd already done the entire thing It was uncharacteristically clunky

There’s and easy fix for this that, thankfully, almost every modern game provides and you should use anytime you can:

The skip button.

Very few games that offer it provide a reason to not use it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh that’ll be nice if I ever need a break from Zelda (ha!)

Still getting it even if I won’t play

I followed your underground odyssey with interest, at first I thought it was impossible to get out without warping so I was lolling at you for refusing to fast travel out but obviously your perseverance paid off

I don't like fast travelling so I was disappointed when I was down in the depths the first time and after climbing a massive tree that went to the ceiling it wouldn't let me ascend out so I figured it was impossible, but then later I found the specific places designed for escape

But you managed to climb to the roof and ascend right?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Ogmius815 posted:

I did not notice very bad frame lag on either of the two monster squad missions I have done on my Switch Lite.

Things get really gnarly for me whenever I light a lot of monsters on fire which coincidentally is my favorite activity

Normally it's just random drops but I feel like it gets especially egregious if there are more than eight enemies on screen which doesn't happen as often as you would think. Once the monster count drops by 2-3, I see the frame rate getting a little better even if stuff is still on fire

Definitely happens in the depths more often with the volume of enemies there. Noticing it more now that I'm standing my ground and killing things down there now that I have decent gear

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

trevorreznik posted:

Also, anyone have Wuppo tips? He was very upset about being kicked out of the wumhouse

Once you reach the big city, you can make a lot of money buying coffee at the coffee shop and reselling it in the shop in the city.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

I followed your underground odyssey with interest, at first I thought it was impossible to get out without warping so I was lolling at you for refusing to fast travel out but obviously your perseverance paid off

I don't like fast travelling so I was disappointed when I was down in the depths the first time and after climbing a massive tree that went to the ceiling it wouldn't let me ascend out so I figured it was impossible, but then later I found the specific places designed for escape

Butterfly Valley posted:

I did a lot of climbs to the roof and never escaped that way. I found one of the specific things for it too, and I’m certain I found one earlier but didn’t recognize it for what it was.

I read in vague terms that just climbing and ascending was possible in certain places where the ground is low enough so I tried around the area that would be the canyon but yeah. Never worked.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

trevorreznik posted:

When Kirby as pipe hits a wall at full speed he goes flat and falls over

Goty my kid went nuts for this

I love the lightbulb sections. My kid won't play anywhere with "villains", but she loves running around the town and eating cakes at the Cafe and fishing at the pond. She asks me to play the levels so she can watch.
But I recall a similar response from her at the pipe hitting the wall gag.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
For the record, that is one of three ways to leave the underground without fast travel I've found. Presumably you could also plain ol' climb the chasm if you have enough sunny/endurance food, but I've never bothered to try.

Also I've never had much of an issue with any of the Monster Forces. I just pick up the biggest guy in the crowd and hit 'em with a muddle arrow, and repeat until there's just a handful of enemies coming after me.

Except the one I ran down with a flame tank, which ended up having both its arms snap off and incapacitating all the NPCs I was supposed to help; I never noticed a frame drop, though I'm not sure I would have.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have a feeling that seeing as how the Switch will be still going 7 years into its lifecycle without a true hardware upgrade/refresh, and it's still printing money for Nintendo, the next system or version of the switch will last even longer than that.

I mean, how much better can graphics get? How much more computational power does a game need until you're getting diminishing returns from the increased development time?

I know that people have always been all "these graphics are the best!" and then 3 years later, we look back on that claim next to some boxy, fingerless Unreal Tournament model, but like... poo poo's getting realistic now; how do you go beyond that? And why would Nintendo of all companies give a poo poo about getting close?

Take Super Mario Odyssey, from almost 6 years ago; still looks fantastic. I guess a more powerful system would allow for more poo poo going on in the background, but the game is drat near perfect as it is.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
better performance for me would be more for getting the existing switch games running smoothly. thinking kirby or BOTW. that and indie/niche games which run poorly on switch. idgaf about AAA-level poo poo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
console upgrads are a scam

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

console upgrads are a scam

going to series x with an SSD from the old HDD riddled consoles, i disagree

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Feels Villeneuve posted:

better performance for me would be more for getting the existing switch games running smoothly. thinking kirby or BOTW. that and indie/niche games which run poorly on switch. idgaf about AAA-level poo poo

Oh, same. A constant 60fps all while allowing a non-AAA dev to make their game look and do whatever they want would be perfect.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want better performance and ultra fast load times.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I have a feeling that seeing as how the Switch will be still going 7 years into its lifecycle without a true hardware upgrade/refresh, and it's still printing money for Nintendo, the next system or version of the switch will last even longer than that.

I mean, how much better can graphics get? How much more computational power does a game need until you're getting diminishing returns from the increased development time?

I know that people have always been all "these graphics are the best!" and then 3 years later, we look back on that claim next to some boxy, fingerless Unreal Tournament model, but like... poo poo's getting realistic now; how do you go beyond that? And why would Nintendo of all companies give a poo poo about getting close?

Take Super Mario Odyssey, from almost 6 years ago; still looks fantastic. I guess a more powerful system would allow for more poo poo going on in the background, but the game is drat near perfect as it is.

consider,

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TOTK owns but playing it 4 feet from a 65” 4K OLED it makes me sad how loving ugly it is. That’s just a pill you have to swallow with Nintendo though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You shouldn’t be sat 4 feet from a 65” tv regardless of what’s on it

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Thanks mom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

make sure your tv is plugged in

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i sit like 10’ away from a 42” tv and that’s felt quite big. have thought about reducing it even.

godspeed, megamyopia man.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Better anti aliasing and rendering of transparent textures would go a long way. Zelda turns into a power point slideshow if you angle the camera against a tree, and Doom gets a little incomprehensible with blurry TAA, just for a few examples. Both games have like 2x AF too so the ground gets blurry only a few feet from you.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

You shouldn’t be sat 4 feet from a 65” tv regardless of what’s on it

Bullshit, people sit way too far from small tvs, normalise big screens and being close to them for the cinema experience

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Better anti aliasing and rendering of transparent textures would go a long way. Zelda turns into a power point slideshow if you angle the camera against a tree, and Doom gets a little incomprehensible with blurry TAA, just for a few examples. Both games have like 2x AF too so the ground gets blurry only a few feet from you.

Doing most of my gaming on a good PC and high framerate monitor meant that TotK felt really rough for the first few hours while I got used to it but now it's mostly fine, except the slowdown whenever you have powers going is pretty noticeable

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lol I remember the first time I saw a Mass Effect screenshot and thought we cracked photorealism in games lmao.

Mario 64 still looks good, heavy stylization doesn't need cutting edge graphics the same way as realism.

Graphics aside, Nintendo games would benefit from better hardware for being able to load and stream in new levels and stuff without using loading screen transitions or little tricks to disguise loading. Imagine walking into a TotK shrine and it's just there, no loading in or out you just walk through. They clearly wanted to be able to do that but could not.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looking at my 6 year old console based on even older hardware and saying that it's fine and that a PS5 is a minor upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it has no god drat games!!!!!!