Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So apparently it wasn't the case, but I was going to say that I know a pair of sisters who married a pair of brothers and both families thought it was the cutest and most romantic thing ever.

Also I HATE the red dress at a wedding thing so much, because I love red and look good in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Revenge on my MIL who was horrible to me for years and THEN decided she would wear the exact same dress as me to my wedding.

quote:

I turned up in the side car of a Harley (I did experiment with riding in the dress but it didn't end so well and the shop had to make a few emergency repairs the week before) and I walked down the aisle to the Imperial March by myself.

OP loving rules

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

limp_cheese posted:

Help me! My boyfriend's body is denser than lead!

or

Help me! I'm dating Goku and he made his side of the bed to have stronger gravity for training!

I'm assuming when they have sex she is always on top since she hasn't been crushed yet.

I'm about 275 at 6'4, I'm a big muscular guy, and obviously overweight on top of that, I'm also a side-sleeper. I have the exact same problem as OP where I crush the mattress, which is about a year old, properly set up on the recommended base. The mattress springs back pretty quick when we rotate it to my GF's side, and the foot portion doesn't get as hosed up as where my hips and shoulder lay. It's not a bargain-basement mattress, but it's on the cheaper end. I'm down about 15 lbs over the last year, but ~230 is my minimum and just over what I wrestled at in high school when I was doing an hour+ of cardio every day, and that's heavy enough to destroy mattresses too.

Anyways, anyone have recommendations for mattresses built for men of heft? My loving back is killing me.

E:

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

So apparently it wasn't the case, but I was going to say that I know a pair of sisters who married a pair of brothers and both families thought it was the cutest and most romantic thing ever.

Also I HATE the red dress at a wedding thing so much, because I love red and look good in it.

It's super lame! It's 2023 and no one I know is even pretending to do any "traditional" no sex before marriage or non-cohabitation or church weddings anymore, but they're still all doing the white dress thing.

My SIL wore a bright red satin dress when she married my brother (her second marriage), and it was awesome, the vest on his tux matched and contrasted with our (the groomsmen's) white satin vests and made for amazing photos. Side benefit was a really nice dress was $200 instead of $2,000.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 27, 2023

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Elviscat posted:

I'm about 275 at 6'4, I'm a big muscular guy, and obviously overweight on top of that, I'm also a side-sleeper. I have the exact same problem as OP where I crush the mattress, which is about a year old, properly set up on the recommended base. The mattress springs back pretty quick when we rotate it to my GF's side, and the foot portion doesn't get as hosed up as where my hips and shoulder lay. It's not a bargain-basement mattress, but it's on the cheaper end. I'm down about 15 lbs over the last year, but ~230 is my minimum and just over what I wrestled at in high school when I was doing an hour+ of cardio every day, and that's heavy enough to destroy mattresses too.

Anyways, anyone have recommendations for mattresses built for men of heft? My loving back is killing me.

Have you tried an extremely stiff mattress? I'm not a man of heft, but I do have some lumbar lordosis and sleeping (or even sitting) on something that's too soft just kills my lower back.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Two of my mom’s cousins (sisters) married two brothers. It doesn’t happen often, but there’s nothing creepy or incestuous about it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Have you tried an extremely stiff mattress? I'm not a man of heft, but I do have some lumbar lordosis and sleeping (or even sitting) on something that's too soft just kills my lower back.

Our current mattress is about as firm as my GF is comfortable on (second firmest the store has). Too stiff will create pressure points for me too, since I'm a side sleeper, for the first month or so before this mattress started collapsing it was awesome and supported my back perfectly.

I think the most comfortable one I've ever had was an inch of cheap, soft foam topper over an ultra hard 2" thick government issued mattress set directly on a steel sheet. That might be a tough sell for my GF though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for refusing to resell my Taylor Swift Tickets

Sell one and dump your boyfriend for whoever you wind up next to

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
WRT big guy beds, vaguely knew a couple of former pro football players, they would do bouncer stuff on the weekends at the bar I worked at. They both talked about their waterbeds and how awesome they were.

I hope I contributed something.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Captain Hygiene posted:

Sell one and dump your boyfriend for whoever you wind up next to

Must admit, if I were in her position I'd probably sell one of them too, for $2,500 it'd have to be something near a religious experience to get me to go to something.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You reminded me of the absolute disaster it was cleaning up after my parent's water bed burst, and my dad hanging a hose out the second floor window to drain it.

You also reminded me of playing on it as a kid, and finding the old, enormous, 120V cord-powered "massager" that was stuffed between the mattress and water bed, and playing with that.

So that's something! :barf:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Elviscat posted:

You reminded me of the absolute disaster it was cleaning up after my parent's water bed burst, and my dad hanging a hose out the second floor window to drain it.

You also reminded me of playing on it as a kid, and finding the old, enormous, 120V cord-powered "massager" that was stuffed between the mattress and water bed, and playing with that.

So that's something! :barf:
My waterbed disaster is the first time I had alcohol poisoning I passed out on some random water bed in the house I was in and every twenty minutes I would get motion sick and have to vomit but was so drunk I kept stumbling back to the bed to lie down

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Josef bugman posted:

Must admit, if I were in her position I'd probably sell one of them too, for $2,500 it'd have to be something near a religious experience to get me to go to something.

She spent a year banished to her room with nothing but a single Taylor Swift album for entertainment. I'd say that ranks up there with religious.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I assume she meant to get to go to school and stuff? Not her fault for being abused, but by the 100th playthrough, I’d have thought about smuggling the iPod out and getting my friend to put some other songs on it.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Kiss the bear, dammit!

Sha-la-la-la-la-la my oh my
Look at dis stupid guy
Don’t wanna, kiss da bear
Sha-la-la-la-la-la he so dumb
She gonna find her some
One who will, kiss da bear

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Elviscat posted:

Have you tried a latex mattress? It's basically a massive block of latex rubber. Very resilient and good to sleep on. I got one as a graduation present and love it to bits.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Elviscat posted:

E:

It's super lame! It's 2023 and no one I know is even pretending to do any "traditional" no sex before marriage or non-cohabitation or church weddings anymore, but they're still all doing the white dress thing.

My SIL wore a bright red satin dress when she married my brother (her second marriage), and it was awesome, the vest on his tux matched and contrasted with our (the groomsmen's) white satin vests and made for amazing photos. Side benefit was a really nice dress was $200 instead of $2,000.

You might want a separate bed from your gf. I know you might want to sleep in the same bed as her, but it sounds like you'd both have more comfortable beds if you weren't having to half-way your mattress for each other.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for having swastikas in my room

quote:

I (29M) came to USA back in December of 2022 from India, for my postdoc. I got a nice accomodation in the neighbourhood of the uni. My labmates are nice people and we (until today) are good friends.

Anyway, they always wanted to try some homemade Indian food, which I was glad to prepare. My flat has 2 units, one of them is kitchen + dining, the other is bedroom+ study, I know weird choice, but I don't sleep where I eat. When they came, I heard them wispering when I was cooking biryani. I thought they were talking about the aroma. But when I came out, I found the 4 of them glaring at me, while the 5th person was sobbing. It turns out, she is Jewish and the swastika symbol above my study table, made her really upset. I drew it as it stands for blessing and good luck in my country. I said I am sorry, but for me, this symbol stands for something else. It led to an argument that I should be informative before coming to America and the sentiments behind the symbol. In the end they left without eating, and aren't speaking at all with me, during lab hours

So AITA?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
man even in india they don't

capncthulhu
Oct 4, 2021

The_Franz posted:

Two of my mom’s cousins (sisters) married two brothers. It doesn’t happen often, but there’s nothing creepy or incestuous about it.

Three of my cousins all married three sisters. I thought it was a bit weird but still kinda cute. They are all divorced now.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Red at a wedding isn't actually a thing. As far as anyone can tell, the only place anyone has ever seen it is one old story from r/relationships, and one that was recently posted in the same place.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I know the thread title just changed, but:

r/relationships: if she does I can easily kick her rear end

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for having swastikas in my room

what are the chances when he drew it himself he didn't pay attention to the orientation and it really was a honest to god swastika

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Elviscat posted:

Memory foam?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Private Cumshoe posted:

what are the chances when he drew it himself he didn't pay attention to the orientation and it really was a honest to god swastika

Both groups used both orientations - the "one way good, one way bad" is a modern invention from groups quite reasonably trying to rescue their important symbol (which, before the 1930s, was an almost universal symbol of great importance - there is (or at least was, I haven't been there in a while) a Greek helmet in my local art museum that's encrusted with the things). Unfortunately it is also used by the same shitheads that poisoned it in the first place trying to get away with poo poo.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Gnoman posted:

Both groups used both orientations - the "one way good, one way bad" is a modern invention from groups quite reasonably trying to rescue their important symbol (which, before the 1930s, was an almost universal symbol of great importance - there is (or at least was, I haven't been there in a while) a Greek helmet in my local art museum that's encrusted with the things). Unfortunately it is also used by the same shitheads that poisoned it in the first place trying to get away with poo poo.

Good to know, thank you

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Gnoman posted:

Yes there is a debate in Japan right now because swastikas are traditionally used to mark Buddhist temples on tourist maps because it’s equivalent to the Christian cross there and a more commonly used symbols than the more recognized in the west wheel of dharma.

Then there are genuine nazis who just go “maybe I’m Buddhist did you think of that” so they can wear their hate in public because it’s all a game for them

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think it'd be a good thing for society to rehabilitate the swastika as a good symbol. I think it would still retain its recent sordid history but it would lose a great deal of its power for Nazi's as a whole. That said I have no idea how one would do that without another 50 to 100 years behind us.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for saying my wife is disrespecting my place in the family?

quote:

About 6 months ago my wife (27F) and I (28M) got a dog after months of her begging. I finally relented, and we got a border terrier puppy, which we have fondly named Snoot. I like the dog, we get along, but that’s about as far as it goes.

However, my wife is head over heels for this dog. It’s all she seems to talk and think about. I thought the obsession with the dog might wear off a little, but it’s stayed the same. You might even say it’s getting worse.

Everything above I can put up with. But here’s the clincher. More recently, she’s beginning to refer to me as “Snoot’s dad”. She almost never refers to me as my real name, or any of the other nicknames she has lovingly used for me over the years.

It’s gotten so bad and is getting to the point where I’m resenting the dog, and feeling my place in the household and her respect for me is less. I’ve told her time and time again to stop as it makes me uncomfortable. Every time she laughs it off, even when I try to have a serious chat about it.

I’m so annoyed about it, I’ve threatened to move out and stay with a friend. She thinks I’m being ridiculous and says if she had to choose between the dog and me, it will be the dog.

AITA?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

15 days ago, he posted a picture of his border terrier puppy named "Hazy." Why fakename the dog when you posted a pic of the dog on the same account????

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

15 days ago, he posted a picture of his border terrier puppy named "Hazy." Why fakename the dog when you posted a pic of the dog on the same account????

The other one is his side-piece dog

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Well, what if a poster recognized the dog IRL? That would be awkward.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

The inverse of this guy

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Just be happy he didn't give the dog a single-letter alias.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tarkus posted:

I think it'd be a good thing for society to rehabilitate the swastika as a good symbol. I think it would still retain its recent sordid history but it would lose a great deal of its power for Nazi's as a whole. That said I have no idea how one would do that without another 50 to 100 years behind us.

As with many things, context is key.

If you are in rural India and see a swastika carved into a centuries old stone building, then it is probably not a Nazi symbol.
Just as if a shaven headed bloke wearing suspenders and doc martens with red laces shouting about how "they" control the media has a swastika tattoo, then he is probably not a Hindu.

So, in my mind, the best option is to, if possible, in modern times try to avoid using it, but not to start accusing those with posters of Hanuman etc with swastikas on them of being White Supremacists.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yes there is a debate in Japan right now because swastikas are traditionally used to mark Buddhist temples on tourist maps because it’s equivalent to the Christian cross there and a more commonly used symbols than the more recognized in the west wheel of dharma.

I have a few swastikas in my Facebook photos due to that, some temples have the symbol on incense sticks to burn on site, there were some on temples in Thailand when I was there with a field school. Some of the other students had no idea of the original meaning so they were silently concerned for a bit before asking the professor why. No one's ever said anything about my photos, I like to think most people I associate with are at least somewhat educated.

Now the military paraphernalia shop I visited in Tokyo, that was a whole other loving story. Numerous Nazi uniforms, they looked way too worn, old, and well-made to be knock-offs or costumes. They were all behind locked glass with big signs saying no photos or you'd get banned from the store.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for demanding preferential parking for my daughter's birthday?

quote:

My (37M) wife (36F) and I have been on a trial separation from our marriage for 9 months or so. I have missed my house but I understand that she needed some time alone. We have been together for a long time so being apart temporarily is not the end of the world. I went to pick up our daughter (12F) to go to the movies and found an unknown car on my usual parking spot in our garage. I don't come around our house much lately, usually just once a month. I could have just called our daughter for her to come to the car without parking but I wanted too talk to my wife about that new car.

My wife told me that her boss (Mark, 41M) has been staying at our house ocasionally because of work reasons and that he puts his car on that space now. It was really inconvenient for me to go find another spot and I felt it was unfair I wasn't told in advance of this situation. She always forgets to tell me important stuff like that and makes me waste time having to ask her directly. Anyway, the main problem came up after I came back from the cinema with my daughter.

My daughter's birthday is next week and she is having a small party mostly for family and close friends so I talk to my wife and told her to make sure the space for my car is empty for me the day of the birthday party but she told me that probably won't be the case as Mark will certainly be invited to the celebration because he is her "best friend". I found that to be a big exaggeration. I knew she and Mark always had a good work relationship since she started working for him but I never see them as real "friends" let alone "best friends".

I have been arguing with her about this but we can't came to an agreement. She just says that I should come earlier so I have time to park and don't arrive late to the party but my complaint is really about fairness and justice not those practical technicalities. She offered that I can talk directly to Mark about this but I don't want that. He is a lawyer and I know they are very good manipulating you into agreeing with them. My wife is a lawyer too but I am used to her so her tactics are not effective with me.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

coronatae posted:

The inverse of this guy

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 28, 2023

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for demanding preferential parking for my daughter's birthday?

Lol

About that "trial" separation...

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I just realized and that a nazi flag would absolutely have the other orientation on the other side unless the fabric were made for two separate images for each side lol

Geometry is hard

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Metis of the Hallway posted:

Lol

About that "trial" separation...
It absolutely sounds like the wife and her boss are in a relationship, yes. Which is something to be worried about, but not because of the trial separation but instead because he's her boss and there's an inherent power imbalance going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Midnight Voyager posted:

He expects the average Redditor to have the average cop’s investigative skills.