Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think it’s a great idea to foster independence.

I have a cousin in her late 40’s who still lives with her parents because they believe she’s incapable of living on her own. She has memory problems that make it hard for her to do some things by herself, like travelling alone. She wasn’t allowed to go to college because my aunt and uncle felt she would just get lost on campus. She still has a job though, and has spent years working with small children at the YMCA. She’s fairly competent and even used to date when she was younger.

I think with today’s technology, she would be able to manage just fine on her own. Google maps, Alexa, Smart appliances, etc… I know her parents are worried about her forgetting to turn the stove off and burning the house down, but there’s a lot that modern tech can do to help mitigate stuff like that. I think they really underestimate her abilities, but they’ve been fine with their arrangement as it is. I just don’t know what’s going to happen to her when her parents pass away or have to go into a home. Maybe her younger brother will take her in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My boy (about 3.5 months) has taken a step back in feeding and it’s super annoying. He keeps on doing this thing where he’ll eat half of his bottle, then get disinterested. We babble together a bit then he starts fussing. Only after he’s had a good cry will he finish the rest of the bottle.

Just two weeks ago he was perfect! Finishing every bottle really quick and then being content until the next feeding.

I’m tempted to try and up the nipple size again. We started him on the Brown’s level 2 pretty early, and they say “6 month+” for the next size.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Eeyo posted:

My boy (about 3.5 months) has taken a step back in feeding and it’s super annoying. He keeps on doing this thing where he’ll eat half of his bottle, then get disinterested. We babble together a bit then he starts fussing. Only after he’s had a good cry will he finish the rest of the bottle.

Just two weeks ago he was perfect! Finishing every bottle really quick and then being content until the next feeding.

I’m tempted to try and up the nipple size again. We started him on the Brown’s level 2 pretty early, and they say “6 month+” for the next size.

Mine did the same thing around that time, he's still on the level 1 nipple at 7 months though. Sometimes I'll bring out the level 2 and it'll work for a bottle or so but then it's just not happening.

Hell, maybe I'll bring it out again today for funsies.

Anyways yeah, the gremlin used to just not be super interested in the bottle but now he gets really into it and will even open his mouth to let you give it to him. Sometimes he even tries to grab the bottle himself but he can't hold anything yet really. Soon though little guy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Alterian posted:

We're semi sort of going through this with our 10 year old's recent autism diagnosis. I'm fairly confident he'll be able to be an independent person if he can get his emotions in check. He scored a level 3 and its like uhhhh what? There's no way that's accurate. He's a level 1, maybe a soft 2 at the most. Even the psychologist who gave him the test and his therapist that has worked with him for years was confused by those results. If something feels wrong, don't hesitate to question.

I did write a message to to the "Wilma" group, dunno if you use that app, used for communicating between school and parents, we have a group there with the boys teachers, assistants and us.

And at least we're all in agreement that the goal is to try and get them to grow up as independent as possible. It's all really in the air so far, depends on how they develop as they grow up.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not sure what your jurisdiction is, but according to US Department of Health and Human Services there's only three states that have statutes regarding a minimum age for leaving a child home alone: Illinois at 14 (?), Maryland at 8, and Oregon at 10. Most other states consider failing to provide adequate supervision as a form of neglect, which is a much softer boundary. Either way, children being home alone for an hour or two after school before parents arrive home from work is a fairly common situation and not "wrong" depending on the maturity of the child.

It certainly is different from when I was a kid in the 80s. I was a lot on my own at age 4 and onwards. Didn't have daycare for kids that young then, at least not where I grew up in rural Finland, which in a lot of ways feels like those american movies about young kids who take place in 50s or 60s settings. Just missing walking a long a train track to look for a corpse.

My parents at least worked at home by then as greenhouse farmers growing tomatoes and cucumbers, which they did until they retired a few years ago, I am told I learned to operate the coffee brewer at that age and went out to the greenhouses to yell at my parents to come in and take a break when I got bored of being on my own.

I had lots of cousins my age too, at least as we got older we'd spend a lot of time on our own, swimming by the lake, skiing many kilometers away from home in winter, walking in the forests, all way before the age of 10. We even went out in boats, I would flip if my kids took a boat on their own and got 50 meters from shore. I could swim a mile when I was their age though.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

devmd01 posted:

major shout-out to the kid throwing double horns during the kindergarten graduation procession tonight

one of my teacher friends told me about a little kid with (formerly) long hair coming in looking very sad after a haircut. She asked him what was wrong; he said in a quiet voice, "I can't 'bang any more"

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Tom Smykowski posted:

Toddler fell off a ladder at the park and fractured his wrist. Any suggestions for toddler games that don't involve bouncing off the walls?

My toddler fractured her elbow jumping off the couch. As soon as we got home from hospital with the cast on, she was back up there trying to repeat her acrobatics, and then was still swinging off bars and gates with a cast. So...good luck.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shifty Pony posted:

Look what I just found...

:stare:

https://www.tubtopper.com

$60 tho...

Got this, used it for bathtime last night.

It is a bit larger than I expected which makes it a touch harder to soap him up and get him out, but if it were any smaller he would have splashed over the edge. He literally dumped entire buckets of water on it from half a foot up with only a single drip coming over the edge. Well made which helps take the edge off the price.

A+ wish I had bought it months ago.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wish I could catch on to the poop squat like, thirty seconds earlier on. My dream is to not have to change my son's pants until at least noon.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
My kid picked up yet another virus from daycare and of course passed it on to his sister, so looking forward to another weekend of staying home looking after sick kids. Sometimes I really question the choices that let me to this.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Sex was a mistake

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think I know all of Moana and Frozen by heart at this point

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Benagain posted:

Parenting thread: Sex was a mistake

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

First time posting in the parenting thread in honor of my boy turning three months and also having his name giving party in the same day. It's customary to keep the baby's name a secret until a (secular) name giving party or christening here, so we've been referring to him just as 'the baby' til now. Weird that we can now use his name publicly! We had to get an approval from an official naming committee for his third name, because there is only one other person with the same name in the whole country, even though it's a real name in other countries. Thankfully they approved.

Had a really nice party and baby was very cooperative while being passed from a lap to lap all day long.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Benagain posted:

Sex was a mistake

At least it will never happen again now that the child is here. A self correcting mistake.

Had a fun Friday - our only neurology appointment was during the time we had tickets to fly to Chicago for a week of vacation. So had to push flights from the morning to the evening and pay the change fee. The appointment ended at 9:30 AM in the same city as our flight out at 7:30 PM, which was an hour and a half away from home. So just long enough where we figure it’s not worth it to drive back and we will hang out there all day.

Edit: neurology said he’s low risk but to bring him back for 4 hour EEG to figure out if his brain is normal. So we got that to look forward to.

At noon the kid starts running a low grade fever, which given my previous post about Hand Foot and Mouth exposure gets us concerned. We had to try and figure out if we should cancel our week long trip and stay home, if we will be superspreaders of HFM on an airplane?, or if he will simply recover from the fever within 24 hours and be perfectly fine the next day like the last two random fevers.

Game time decision. We figured that having a sick kid sucks regardless of if you are home or if you are away. We decided to go for it and made the incredibly fun and stupid decision to take a sick child to an airport, stick them on a 3 hour flight, keep them up 4 hours past their bedtime, and then sleep in the same room as them. He slept nearly the entire flight fortunately.

With several doses of ibuprofen later - he is currently fever free so far today and in a great mood. Will see if this holds until our Cubs game tomorrow. No sores yet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
I’m in my home state dealing with my dad’s house and funeral and stuff and just had brunch with one of my best friends who has the cutest four year old daughter. The father is a PhD, this kid has been in every extracurricular and toddler class ever. Has the same struggles staying in a dang chair as my partner’s son 😂

We’re fine.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Potty training extended weekend here. I think there's a lot of performance anxiety and fear of "accidents".
Sorry for the anxious genes, little one. It was really not avoidable. :(

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

gbut posted:

Potty training extended weekend here. I think there's a lot of performance anxiety and fear of "accidents".
Sorry for the anxious genes, little one. It was really not avoidable. :(

We are doing the same thing this weekend. Good luck to you guys!

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Ugh 1.5 year old went from eating big healthy meals to a little bit of snacks here and there and very little else. It’s demoralizing! Plenty of energy etc so it’s not a real problem but still stressful

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Potty training weekend is always a good time. The real fun starts come Monday (or in this case Tuesday) when you have to go back to your normal routine. That’s when the poo poo hits the fan (heh) for us.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Oh, I'm sure the Tuesday reckoning will be remembered. At least the preschool staff is totally on board and gave us instructions on what they need on their end.

Today went well. We'll be doing pull-ups overnight, so that lessened the anxiety a bit.

Goonspeed to all the other parents out there who're in the same boat.

(*snort* lol, "who're")

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Academician Nomad posted:

Ugh 1.5 year old went from eating big healthy meals to a little bit of snacks here and there and very little else. It’s demoralizing! Plenty of energy etc so it’s not a real problem but still stressful

I feel like it's universal that at that age they start to live only off of floor cheerios and goldfish of mysterious provenance (also the floor).

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Day one of potty training is not going well at all. He has only peed once (!) the entire day and won’t eat or drink much. My boy is stubborn as hell :(

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How long do your infants sleep? Kept a log today because I was curious and our 5 month old slept about 17 hours.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We’re starting potty training tomorrow. Second attempt. Hopefully it takes this time!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm at the stage where my kid knows he's gotta poop/pee but he'll just tell me about it as it's happening

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eeyo posted:

How long do your infants sleep? Kept a log today because I was curious and our 5 month old slept about 17 hours.

Our toddler sleeps from 8 to 8, so that's 12, plus a 2.5hr nap is 14.5. Before we dropped second nap at 18 months we were probably near 16 hours a day

I forget but sometime between 3 and 6 months you transition to the 2 nap system

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My kid tries to use “parents say it’s time to use the potty” to extract us reading a book to her which only kind of works because she’s too distracted to try to pee

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well I just had the most terrifying experience of my entire parenting career. Was up late watching TV when I heard the kiddo crying in her room. We just moved + had an insurance claim on the mover destroying part of a $$$ kids bunk bed my wife bought prematurely.

The room has been in disarray as they had to take pictures and it's been a staging area for unpacking etc but generally the crib has been at the back of the room, near the closet opposite of the door. Also she's like 10th percentile for height and weight tiny thing.

Anyways I go in there, it's absolutely pitch black and I hear a new phrase, "waaah MOMMY HELP ME" :staredog: what's going on in there. I trip over some bags of stuff going to goodwill. I open the door. It's a portal to another dimension where there's no light. A SWEATY DEMON HAND REACHES OUT AND GRABS ME. WHAT THE CHRIST :staredog::staredog::staredog:

I yell in terror at the top of my lungs

I'm super confused because

1) the hand grabbed me from adult height
2) my daughter has no history of climbing out of the crib
3) THERE ARE NO ADULT HEIGHT CREATURES IN MY HOUSE WITH TINY SWEATY HANDS

I recoil in horror and wait to see what crawls out of the darkness and into the dim hallway.

Nothing. Silence.

Then a wail from just inside the door. What. The. gently caress. What the gently caress.

Finally I get the courage to reach inside the door and frantically turn on the lights to find out what ate my daughter. The crib is on the wrong side of the room. How the gently caress did that happen.

Finally I realize that we had gotten the bunk bed resolved and moved the crib to the other side of the room since it just barely fit there when you opened the door and was almost flush with the door now

:psyduck:

Anyways I pick her up and dump her in bed with mom while I go look for her pacifier. She jumps out of bed and meets me in the dark hallway, steals the pacifier from my hand and runs back to the crib, and so I put her back in and she goes back to sleep

But holy gently caress, was not expecting a sweaty hand to grab my arm as soon as I opened the door. gently caress.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Just wait until daycare (if they aren’t in already) and they have that month where they eat cupcakes every other day because every kid is apparently born in the same month.

I now have to bribe my kid to eat pizza and pasta, she is a broken toddler.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I think 90% of my child’s calories so far on this trip have come from goldfish and fruit snacks.

He did inexplicably devour two fried shrimp egg rolls at the Dim Sum place and refused everything else.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eeyo posted:

Our 17-month old has consistently slept like 2 hours less than our guidebook says. She sleeps well at night, 7:30 to 7 usually. During the day she often only has a single 1-hour nap, or sometimes two 40-minute naps depending.

She has never slept more than 1,5 hours during any nap, no idea why. At least in the evening she goes to sleep quickly and without any fusss and sleeps through the night.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's different for every kid, my 2 year old sleeps like 8-9 hours at night and maybe 1 for a nap. She's always kinda been like this. Some kids apparently have lower sleep needs and the guidebooks are too generalized most of the time.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

space uncle posted:

I think 90% of my child’s calories so far on this trip have come from goldfish and fruit snacks.

He did inexplicably devour two fried shrimp egg rolls at the Dim Sum place and refused everything else.

I hate trips with a toddler for this reason. Everything but snacks are suddenly refused.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I wish my 2.5 year old slept more. She often sleeps 8-6:30 with no naps. She dropped naps shortly after turning 2. Sometimes she’ll nap in the car a bit though. The other day I managed to take her out of the car and she stayed asleep. I was gonna put her in her little chair, but she got up, leaned over the couch and passed out again. I just left her like that for a couple hours. I paid for it later though when she didn’t fall asleep until after 10.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Nessa posted:

I wish my 2.5 year old slept more. She often sleeps 8-6:30 with no naps. She dropped naps shortly after turning 2. Sometimes she’ll nap in the car a bit though. The other day I managed to take her out of the car and she stayed asleep. I was gonna put her in her little chair, but she got up, leaned over the couch and passed out again. I just left her like that for a couple hours. I paid for it later though when she didn’t fall asleep until after 10.

This sounds too familiar. Ours is the same, age includes, though he normally wakes closer to 7. It's especially tough now since my wife is pregnant and I can't walk for another few weeks, so there are just no breaks when daycare isn't open.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Eeyo posted:

Sounds about right. Ours slept a lot, too. Would have been similar amounts, some days.

Again, as expected ... I don't know how many parents I've heard complain about their kid getting picky about food suddenly, at between 1,5 and 2 years old. Best of luck with your picky eater, and don't sweat it too much. Kids very rarely starve when served nutritious food. Just keep an eye that they don't stop growing; in height and weight -- stopping one is OK as long as the other continues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My daughter really seems to think she can argue her way around kicking her brother in the head being his fault.