Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Cassette Beasts is pretty fun so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

RandolphCarter posted:

Cassette Beasts is pretty fun so far

I showed a trailer of it to my kid months ago and he's been counting down the days. He was so hyped in console release day and has been playing it nonstop since Thursday, with me hopping in to co op when I'm free.

I don't see any performance problems in general except when changing zones.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

webmeister posted:

Saw an ad for that new LOTR Gollum game and thought it sounded cool.

Looked it up online and, welp
https://twitter.com/GollumGame/status/1662124108614717448

what in the world about that game sounded cool to you

I'm not bashing you, but good grief I cannot for the life of me imagine who this game is for

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Soul Glo posted:

what in the world about that game sounded cool to you

I'm not bashing you, but good grief I cannot for the life of me imagine who this game is for

I like LOTR, the cinematic trailer looked cool, and it follows a lesser-used character rather than the usual suspects.

For some reason I thought it was going to be more of a third person action game, rather than whatever the gently caress we actually got

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

This game whips

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What is gollum anyway? I haven't seen poo poo about it other than seeing that apology post lol

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Professor Beetus posted:

What is gollum anyway? I haven't seen poo poo about it other than seeing that apology post lol

https://youtu.be/E21qSEyRa88

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I thought it was going to be like Styx. It showed up from gamefly today...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Is there a known issue with the Xbox elite 2 controller audio port interfering with bluetooth or is the connection just crap? I’ve checked all the updates etc but lately it keeps disconnecting (one time very comically as I jumped off a skyscraper but didn’t have my parachute deployed yet in CoD) like once or twice every half hour, seemingly at random. I’ve already sent it in once and the replacement has a similar issue on top of the audio jack only working when you insert it slowly. It’s mildly infuriating. Resetting hasn’t helped.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

I made it to the emotes. That is far worse than I imagined lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Professor Beetus posted:

I made it to the emotes. That is far worse than I imagined lol

Is like one of these PS2 games that you found in the sales bin and you never heard of.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

lmao loving hell, that's even worse than i thought

the concept of a semi-open world game (or hell, even discrete levels) where you follow Gollum's story after losing the Ring, through Mirkwood as far as Dale and the Lonely Mountain, back south to Mordor and then eventually northwards into Moria where he follows the Fellowship back down the Anduin sounds kinda cool, which is roughly what I'd assumed this game was based on nothing more than the name and a cinematic trailer

and i get wanted to develop your own world and what not, but Gandalf explicitly says in Fellowship that Gollum was allowed to leave Barad-dur on "an errand of mischief". spending half the game doing chores in order to escape seems pretty lol-worthy

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Don’t run away from a fight while swimming in Cassette Beasts. Done it twice now and locked up hard both times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

webmeister posted:

lmao loving hell, that's even worse than i thought

the concept of a semi-open world game (or hell, even discrete levels) where you follow Gollum's story after losing the Ring, through Mirkwood as far as Dale and the Lonely Mountain, back south to Mordor and then eventually northwards into Moria where he follows the Fellowship back down the Anduin sounds kinda cool, which is roughly what I'd assumed this game was based on nothing more than the name and a cinematic trailer

and i get wanted to develop your own world and what not, but Gandalf explicitly says in Fellowship that Gollum was allowed to leave Barad-dur on "an errand of mischief". spending half the game doing chores in order to escape seems pretty lol-worthy

So I will say that what I hate most about it is that I feel like it fundamentally misunderstands Gollum as a character which is a pretty big flaw. It has a half-baked morality system where Smeagol is "good" and Gollum is "bad" and sometimes they argue. And in theory I like the idea of one side having to convince the other to go along with something except Gollum being divided into Good and Evil is dumb as hell. The game tries to paint Smeagol as a pure innocent good boy struggling against the evil Gollum but Smeagol wasn't that. He was kind of sad and pathetic and desperate and servile but he still had mischief in him and a theoretical 'good' Smeagol was by no means pure. He wasn't a sweet boy who just wanted to pet birds and chase butterflies.

Instead the writers clearly went "Well, GOOD vs EVIL right??"

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

I literally dusted off my 360 this morning and grabbed this. It whips rear end. I hooked my 360 up to an Mclassic and it looks pretty great on a 4k tv. I might have to dive down a rabbit hole of non back-compat 360 games this month. I always meant to play this and Stranglehold but never got around to them.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Stranglehold slaps but it has an absolutely heinous second level.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

Stranglehold slaps but it has an absolutely heinous second level.

Stranglehold so obviously went all out on the first level/demo section and I got the game for that reason.

Theres some later levels that are fun and inventive again but yeah, level 2 is a huge brick in the teeth.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Big Bidness posted:

I literally dusted off my 360 this morning and grabbed this. It whips rear end. I hooked my 360 up to an Mclassic and it looks pretty great on a 4k tv. I might have to dive down a rabbit hole of non back-compat 360 games this month. I always meant to play this and Stranglehold but never got around to them.

It's a shame that they did some patching/updating the PC version of Space Marine but the Xbox360 is not backwards compatible. It's a fun game and I played a lot of multiplayer too.

Stranglehold was super rough but had some fun setpieces. I liked it way more than WET, that one had no redeeming qualities for me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PS360 gen ftw. All the best games.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Took me 5 years, but I finally finished Red Dead Redemption 2. Best video game I've ever played, an absolute masterpiece.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

John F Bennett posted:

Took me 5 years, but I finally finished Red Dead Redemption 2. Best video game I've ever played, an absolute masterpiece.
It’s really incredible how much is in that game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really want a 60fps update for RDR2. But yeah, the single player is incredible. And then you go online and see that Rockstar abandoned it a long time ago and it has less content than the first games online. :(

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Really want a 60fps update for RDR2. But yeah, the single player is incredible. And then you go online and see that Rockstar abandoned it a long time ago and it has less content than the first games online. :(

I don't know how they did it, but the 30fps feels really good in this one. Best 30fps experience I've had, it doesn't even feel like 30 somehow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Good frame pacing , input latency and motion blur.
Same with the new Zelda.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

John F Bennett posted:

Congrats! Did you 100% the game? Or is that a silly question.

I picked up RDR2 in the Black Friday sale last year but haven't started yet. I feel like I should play Cyberpunk 2077 first Sunday my wife gifted that to me on my last birthday.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's like Lenin said, there is 30 fps that feels like 60 fps and there is 60 fps that feels like 30 fps

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I picked up RDR2 in the Black Friday sale last year but haven't started yet. I feel like I should play Cyberpunk 2077 first Sunday my wife gifted that to me on my last birthday.

79.7%!

I never do the collectathons in games, like getting all the herbs and skinning all the animals in RDR2. But I still have some side missions to complete, which I'll get around to eventually.

But for now, I'll be spending most of my time riding around, camping, hunting, and taking pictures. Which is also why it took me 5 years to finish the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sywert of Thieves posted:

No one has ever 100% RDR2.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

the RDR2 controls never really clicked with me for some reason so it wasn’t uncommon for me to accidentally trample someone with a horse and get run out of town by an angry mob. it’s a good loving game.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Gollum talk reminded me of another licensed game for the Xbox with a prison escape concept but did it well: Chronicles of Riddick.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that game not being back compat is a disgrace. I dusted off the ps3 to play it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Space Jam posted:

the RDR2 controls never really clicked with me for some reason so it wasn’t uncommon for me to accidentally trample someone with a horse and get run out of town by an angry mob. it’s a good loving game.

I remember reading that someone at Rockstar was fired for trying to make the horse movement more player friendly. Horse balls were a priority for the game.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Space Jam posted:

probably happened fairly frequently in the 1800s, 10/10 for realism :haw:

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Really enjoyed Planet of Lana. Impressive for a debut studio and game. Visuals and music are top notch. Did kind of drag a bit till you get to a certain part but after that I was fully into it. Not as good as the Playdead games but that's tough bar to reach. Will definitely play whatever they make next.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Wiltsghost posted:

Really enjoyed Planet of Lana. Impressive for a debut studio and game. Visuals and music are top notch. Did kind of drag a bit till you get to a certain part but after that I was fully into it. Not as good as the Playdead games but that's tough bar to reach. Will definitely play whatever they make next.

I was enjoying it but got to a part that was either bugged or I was missing something because my little kitty wouldn't follow me anymore.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

ErrEff posted:

Gollum talk reminded me of another licensed game for the Xbox with a prison escape concept but did it well: Chronicles of Riddick.

Chronicles is amazing, possibly because according to the devs, Vin would show up like first thing in the morning at their offices and stay all day just playing the builds and commenting on what was good and what wasn't. He wasn't invited to come, he would just show up.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Chronicles is amazing, possibly because according to the devs, Vin would show up like first thing in the morning at their offices and stay all day just playing the builds and commenting on what was good and what wasn't. He wasn't invited to come, he would just show up.

That either owns or sounds like a potential nightmare, but probably more on the owns side.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

1glitch0 posted:

I was enjoying it but got to a part that was either bugged or I was missing something because my little kitty wouldn't follow me anymore.

That's a bummer, didn't really run into any glitches or anything myself. Can you restart from a checkpoint or anything or is there a chapter select?

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

priznat posted:

That either owns or sounds like a potential nightmare, but probably more on the owns side.

The devs were mostly just confused. They said that they were used to all the licensing stuff being done away from them, and no one from the property caring all that much about the final product, not "i'm gonna show up pretty much every day and be involved in a "That's pretty good, add this, and it would be exactly what Riddick would do..." and "Riddick wouldn't say that" sort of way."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Every day I wake up and drive to a game studio. It's my favorite game, Riddick, and right then and there I start teaching them the moves alongside the main character, Riddick. I teach every move, and I teach them hard.