Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Steve Wiebe.
This poll is closed.
Steve Wiebe. 30 42.25%
Steve Wiebe. 41 57.75%
Total: 48 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdXrsDZ5prI

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Speedruns of games like Loom and Monkey Island sound like they would be really boring

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Item Getter posted:

Speedruns of games like Loom and Monkey Island sound like they would be really boring

at least as far as GDQs go, the speedruns featured usually have enough tech or interesting optimizations to keep people engaged, although there's still always going to be a degree of aesthetic taste involved in what kind of speedruns you may or may not find enjoyable

you've also got a lot of people watching just because it's their favorite game or a nostalgic classic. i think the most watched video on TASvideos' youtube page is some old SNES lion king TAS and the comments are full of people reminiscing in every language imaginable about how much they loved it when they were kids

Vermain fucked around with this message at 09:26 on May 28, 2023

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Can I exchange Half-Life 1 for GoldenEye?

I think I remember hearing some of the Goldeneye speedrunners are nazis

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm trying to play pool in Yakuza 4 and I swear I sink the cue ball more than the balls I'm actualy aiming at

nothing has ever made me want to spike my controller into the ground more than lining up the easiest shot in the world, missing, having the ball I hit bounce into another ball that bounces back into the cue ball, transferring all the energy of the shot back into the cue ball which wildly pings around the table before perfectly dunking itself into the center pocket

Dabir fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 28, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Help Im Alive posted:

Hasn't stopped some people running at GDQ before.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jay Rust posted:

Who would you rather have dinner with: a half life 1 speedrunner, a minecraft streamer, a gamerscore achievement hunter, or a professional super smash bros. player?

Are they paying? Because the achievement hunter would order one of everything and it would be cool to try all the things

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

ymgve posted:

Are they paying? Because the achievement hunter would order one of everything and it would be cool to try all the things

but you might also have to watch him eat the biggest burrito youve ever seen with hot sauce made of research chems for his photo on the wall

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

Who would you rather have dinner with: a half life 1 speedrunner, a minecraft streamer, a gamerscore achievement hunter, or a professional super smash bros. player?

what's wrong with hl1 speedrunners? that option seems fine. #3 would be pretty good too but they would probably be kinda dorky in a non endearing way.
they're both definitely a lot older than #s 2 and 4 though

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/CoolBoxArt/status/600608265240760321?s=19

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vermain posted:

. i think the most watched video on TASvideos' youtube page is some old SNES lion king TAS and the comments are full of people reminiscing in every language imaginable about how much they loved it when they were kids

Those people are loving dumb cuz that game is hot dogshit

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

no u

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

verbal enema posted:

Those people are loving dumb cuz that game is hot dogshit

I’m pretty sure this applies to a lot of childhood games to some degree tbf, just look at how revered Pokémon Gold/Silver were because of the cool new stuff they did before people realized the Pokémon distribution sucked and the level curve was wack.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it had absolutely gorgeous sprite work and the sound design was way ahead of its time but that fffffffloving giraffe level my GOD

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Normal people don't care about pokemon level curve but they do care about bad platforming and poor level design, which the lion king game has

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Classic Hydlide

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Normal people don't care about pokemon level curve but they do care about bad platforming and poor level design, which the lion king game has

Normal people like grinding low level mobs? I thought they hated that…

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its something which only really got articulated later, no kid playing G/S for the first time was like "the pokemon distribution in the early routes is sub-optimal"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
When Pokemon Gold and Silver came out all I cared about was "holy gently caress it's in colour". Our collective ability to experience joy was not yet tempered by an obsession with optimal metagaming.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

gently caress! Go figure.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Idk, maybe i was a weird kid (probably) but even if I didn’t give a poo poo that a lot of the cool new pokes weren’t available and random NPCs had stuff I couldn’t catch until Kanto the level curve was a thing that burned me out and I never finished the Elite Four until the DS remake, which is why I mention it cause I replayed Yellow a lot more despite how basic and ugly in comparison it was.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

its something which only really got articulated later, no kid playing G/S for the first time was like "the pokemon distribution in the early routes is sub-optimal"
I did. sorry you just weren't a discerning enough gamer kid

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i was pretty aware as a kid playing yellow that the beginning of the game which was almost entirely just these guys

using harden over and over again was super boring

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Why aren't we getting Moon Biker games?

Why do we have to live with Generic Shootman games every year?

The future is loving BOGUS maaaaannnnnnnn

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We need more Tony Hawk's Underground clones

Give me narrative based skateboarding.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Give me a skateboarding game with moral decisions

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if Harden persists for more than four hours, consult your POKčMON Center

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Give me narrative based skateboarding.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1263240/Skate_Story/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Snowboard or Die

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Infinitum posted:

its true

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Infinitum posted:

Yeah, I mean, this but, like... actually unironically.

:(

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

haveblue posted:

Skate or Die, bro

You either skate

Or you die

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

mutata posted:

Yeah, I mean, this but, like... actually unironically.

:(

I was being serious

The future IS bogus

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
honestly there aren't that many "generic shootman" games anymore, its more "generic cinematic hack-and-slash with light RPG elements"

thats right you're on notice, Zelda: TOTK

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The future we live in sucks, but not because of Tears of the Kingdom, at least.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Skate or Die, bro

You either skate

Or you die

if you skate in the game you skate in real life

Venerealmelon
May 27, 2023
Skater XL is so drat relaxing to just roll around in, however I'm sure a tony hawk game would melt my brain ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haveblue posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-X07FT5UpQ