Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Content to Hover posted:

What's the signage like? Key used to be on almost everything because he was popular, are they trying that with Luxon?
Maybe it costs less because most of his head is white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Maybe it costs less because most of his head is white.

I was asking because I live in the rear end end of nowhere and haven't seen the signage yet.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

klen dool posted:

You need to get the gently caress away from that place and get a new job bud

its a good idea

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

klen dool posted:

Goddamn thats cynical. I presume all parties do it but that's just hosed

The parties that have money are!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait what helicopter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yLLigwYj70&t=103s

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bike tory posted:

The parties that have money are paid for are!

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
Gonna be waiting 6.5 hours today in Waitakere Hospital ED to be seen, the wait at Auckland ED last weekend was 4-5 hours. If only National would make wait times an election issue rather than their usual bullshit

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How could that be an election issue? The only thing a politician can do about that is increased spending (and a lot of it), and I thought National's whole thing is having a balanced budget after years of reckless spending on the poors by Labour?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The one thing National won't make an election issue is anything that could be solved by increasing the government spend.

Besides, they all have private insurance anyway.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Hillary 2024 posted:

Gonna be waiting 6.5 hours today in Waitakere Hospital ED to be seen, the wait at Auckland ED last weekend was 4-5 hours. If only National would make wait times an election issue rather than their usual bullshit

You could weasel your way around it by measuring wait times as "time until triaged" rather than "time until treated" and then just front load triage staff, when the reality is you'll still be sitting around at the hospital for most of the day.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hillary 2024 posted:

Some of the rejected genAI images for nationals recent attack ads were specifically crowded hospital waiting rooms.

Has it ever been the case that you'd be seen quickly at hospital EDs? Other than for the usual set of brain/cardiovascular symptoms that jump you up the line. I remember breaking my arm as a kid and having to sit around for hours.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

bike tory posted:

Some of the rejected genAI images for nationals recent attack ads were specifically crowded hospital waiting rooms.

Has it ever been the case that you'd be seen quickly at hospital EDs? Other than for the usual set of brain/cardiovascular symptoms that jump you up the line. I remember breaking my arm as a kid and having to sit around for hours.

Broke a leg recently and had the same. To be fair they put me on a bed fairly quick, then had to get x-rays.... Then the surgeon had to look at them, get another x-ray from a different angle, even a CT scan. With all the people involved it's definitely going to be a couple hours. It's okay, I want exactly going anywhere.
I imagine it is maybe quicker now in some ways now that x-rays can be pretty much instantaneous and available digitally. But then that's probably just led to staff being cut

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

The one thing National won't make an election issue is anything that could be solved by increasing the government spend.

What about more roads?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

increasing government spend on roads just makes the roads worse, so you know national already has a top 5 most important roads in nz that they're gonna plow a bunch of cash into peepee partnerships that will cost three times as much because of the efficiency gains inherent in the capitalist system.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Lobsterpillar posted:

You could weasel your way around it by measuring wait times as "time until triaged" rather than "time until treated" and then just front load triage staff, when the reality is you'll still be sitting around at the hospital for most of the day.

I think in Britain the NHS had a requirement for patients to be seen by a medical professional within a certain timeframe. They got around this by hiring a nurse as a glorified greeter in the ED.
Also National absolutely would make ED waiting times an issue. They would not pledge more money or resources to actually fix issues in healthcare etc. But talk about brining in their business experience to find efficiencies and make it all better. Maybe talk about opening things up to private competition to make it better and cheaper. Of course it will all be a failure but they have run these bullshit lines in the past.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Hillary 2024 posted:

If only National would make wait times an election issue rather than their usual bullshit

i don't see how defunding the public system then privatizing everything is gonna help?

Ghostlight posted:

peepee partnerships

:hmmyes:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
My son had a (possibly) broken arm recently and I had to wait over 12 hours. Think it is worse than it was

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
my kid went to a&e in london and was out before 3 hours were up (though the treatment part of it all was much shorter than for a broken arm). it absolutely can be better

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
my vote goes to which ever party finds this beckenridge guy and the kid first

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Yeah medical professionals are in short supply what with heaps dying from covid and heaps leaving the profession because of covid and the fact that we don't make it easy or attractive to be a medical professional because we don't want to spend the money and haven't done so for decades before the pandemic except if you're cuba

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
gently caress da media council

https://www.mediacouncil.org.nz/rulings/jan-rivers-against-stuff-3398/

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

It seems like they upheld the complaint on one tiny thing, that if the science is new and not completely sorted out then you gotta let the bigots have their say or it's not balanced

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The science is not new. This poo poo is the standard treatment for precocious puberty, and nobody screams when you pause that.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Anticheese posted:

The science is not new. This poo poo is the standard treatment for precocious puberty, and nobody screams when you pause that.

The bit where they cite the UK NHS website changing to say that long-term effects are unknown is just the cherry on top.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Anticheese posted:

oh, I know that but it seems like the media council does not

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
If anyone is having trouble loading .co.nz websites today, try changing your DNS server.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bike tory posted:

Walk in and say I've just been electrocuted, they shuffle you to a room instantly

NB I had actually just been electrocuted, so it probably wouldn't work if you hadn't

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

Content to Hover posted:

The bit where they cite the UK

this is where we always gently caress it up

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i like the idea of going into emergency with a gushing wound on my hand or something and going "uhhhh electrocuted".
or like when my baby vaulted headfirst out of her high chair, taking her in and just going "yeah she landed on her head um and it was in a puddle that was electrified so if you could check out her electrocution wound and maybe just let me know about the bump too".
ringing up my GP about insomnia due to nightly electrocution, etc

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

ED wait time targets are exactly the sort of things Tories introduce (and they did in the UK) which make the actual problem (not enough capacity and staff) worse because it forces redeployment to the ED and then you end out bottlenecked from moving people out of ED and all the classic scenes of people in trolleys in corridors etc.

The actual fix is increasing capacity in primary care, making primary care affordable so people don't hit up ED just because it's free or programs where at triage people get sent off immediately to an on-site GP or PCP if that's what they actually need instead of clogging up ED.

Saros fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 30, 2023

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Saros posted:

ED wait time targets are exactly the sort of things Tories introduce (and they did in the UK) which make the actual problem (not enough capacity and staff) worse because it forces redeployment to the ED and then you end out bottlenecked from moving people out of ED and all the classic scenes of people in trolleys in corridors etc.

The actual fix is increasing capacity in primary care, making primary care affordable so people don't hit up ED just because it's free or programs where at triage people get sent off immediately to an on-site GP or PCP if that's what they actually need instead of clogging up ED.

Yes but personal responsibility

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Suprise poll!
https://twitter.com/harrypeterson_/status/1663436726881357825?s=20
https://www.roymorgan.com/findings/9262-nz-national-voting-intention-may-2023

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/poli...on-brown-s.html

such a depressing video lol

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
https://twitter.com/MarjaLubeck/status/1663454818684534789

This is also pretty depressing.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

lol Robbo is bribing teachers $5210 to settle instead of going on strike

like literally the new deal negotiated today is not much above the old one but it offers a $4500 one off payment ($3000 to non union members) and a further $710 nominally to cover registration fees

bonus vs raise bullshit

klen dool
May 7, 2007

That Simon O’Connor fellow seems like a bit of a wanker

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

from the failed policies of the tories to the failing policies of the republicans, i'm starting to think national might not be so smart.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

quote:

The statement goes on to state, “Ms Parmer (sic) said: ‘As a scientist I have always taken an evidence-based approach and I see the same in ACT’.” The ACT Party statement spells Parmar’s name incorrectly as Parmer.

lol

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/132195184/act-swipes-former-national-mp-parmjeet-parmar-as-new-candidate

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

They've gone from dogwhistling to just whistling at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
lol the difference in framing here is so insane

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/06/01/heartbreak-and-hope-esk-valley-locals-react-to-buyouts/
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-...-via-email.html