Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

IVintage Valiant (Jun. 16, 1957)

I like this Mr. Spock season of life for Val.

Luann

Gil Thorp

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 29, 1976)

Crankshaft with a payoff that you could see signaling from outer space.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (December 27, 1939)

Out Our Way (November 27-29, 1941; spoilered for Ick content.)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

I'm stealing "I love you dearly, but I know you well."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

I like this Mr. Spock season of life for Val.

This honor business isn't very logical

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Was this worth dragging for three weeks?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

I enjoy F Minus 99% of the time but the last three days have been really good gags imo.

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

I don't know why this is so important to these people.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Murdstone posted:

I don't know why this is so important to these people.

they're shipper trash

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (November 28, 1941)

i just want to stop and really quickly admire J.R. Williams' art here, and the way he catches slices of contemporary fashion like the g-man's suit as being of the then-modern cut which evokes the extreme bagginess and high-waisted hep cat and zoot suit cultures that were very hot at the time while still being presentable and wearable as a young up and coming professional

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

You know, that's something where if your teammates aren't also complete assholes, they'll take their time about pulling Red off of you. You do your best to keep it one on one, but you let that one get a couple shots in before you pull them off.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Here's the Phantom's John X storyline for those who want to revisit it:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598988&userid=183613&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post435868069

He lost his memory after getting bitten by a snake and randomly joins the Jungle Patrol.

The story focuses on him being best at everything and everyone being horny for him.

Then it gets awkward.

And finally everything gets resolved.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 27, 2023

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Reilu = greater-than-average, copious, plentiful, healthy (as in "healthy amounts of something")
Reilu = fair, kind

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

This arc is making me question, for the first time, the wisdom in making a bunch of kids who may have never even run before run a whole mile at once. I remember the mile coming up basically out of nowhere- we never practiced or discussed good running technique in PE class beforehand. It seems like it was the same for the kids in Heart. Some of them practiced ahead of time but it was all on their own initiative.

Heart is pretty wholesome so I'd be kind of surprised if the end of the week had the slow runners getting mercilessly mocked, but it would be true to my experience.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

It’s pretty much all denouement from here on out.

Bardiche Hotel

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Auto-Biological Determinantivism

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jan 2-3, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 4-5, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Dunce

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft with a payoff that you could see signaling from outer space.

"Accidentally". You know drat well he spiked that thing in there on purpose.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Was this worth dragging for three weeks?
No, but neither was Mozz retelling the story like fifty loving times, so here we are.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kennel posted:

Then it gets awkward.

Where did he even get those loving candles on a military base.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Just Dan Again posted:

This arc is making me question, for the first time, the wisdom in making a bunch of kids who may have never even run before run a whole mile at once. I remember the mile coming up basically out of nowhere- we never practiced or discussed good running technique in PE class beforehand. It seems like it was the same for the kids in Heart. Some of them practiced ahead of time but it was all on their own initiative.

Heart is pretty wholesome so I'd be kind of surprised if the end of the week had the slow runners getting mercilessly mocked, but it would be true to my experience.

The President’s Fitness Test and all the related stuff has been around in some form since the 50s, when someone noticed that American children were WEAK and FAT. It’s always been a vector for merciless ridicule and ostracization of kids who are not Little Olympians. There’s a good podcast episode about it by Maintenance Phase (and they’re a good and funny body positive podcast in general)

Edit: I am still very bitter about every mile I had to run in PE and the time they made us jump hurdles and I only partially hosed up my knee.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kennel posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598988&userid=183613&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post435868069

He lost his memory after getting bitten by a snake and randomly joins the Jungle Patrol.

The story focuses on him being best at everything and everyone being horny for him.

Then it gets awkward.

And finally everything gets resolved.

Holy poo poo, I hadn't read this. This is hilarious.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 24, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

wtf is Dethany actually gonna quit

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The last couple weeks of classic C&H have me wishing I could travel back to that chilly morning in 1995 to tell my 12-year-old self "Actually, it's good that Watterson is hanging it up. His output is getting increasingly trite and sanctimonious in a way you won't really understand how much you resent for a good while yet...you're going to see a defined curve to the strip, in retrospect."

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

This strip feels like one you'd find affixed to the front of a refrigerator at a friend's house, or a filing cabinet by a teacher's desk, as a kind of fun and light "Teenagers, am I right?!" gag. But with the full knowledge of FOOB, it's yet another entry in the "This woman loving hates her kids!" dossier.

quote:

wtf is Dethany actually gonna quit

Hell no, that would disrupt Holbrook's sacred timeline

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sometimes I'm not sure why you're so down on Nate but I only started paying attention a short while ago. That's quite clever and sweet and just compare it to the dross Luann is trying to sell to us as contest winner texts.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sometimes I'm not sure why you're so down on Nate but I only started paying attention a short while ago. That's quite clever and sweet and just compare it to the dross Luann is trying to sell to us as contest winner texts.

In my defense I'm not *that* down on Nate (I'd certainly rank it well above the likes of 9CL, Crankshaft and the Holbrookverse), it just gets on my nerves from time to time. That said this entire Daphne arc has been pretty good so I haven't had many complaints lately.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh I meant "you" as in "the thread" actually, probably could have made that clearer :v:

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Self-hating Jon is convinced that Liz will leave him, so he's trying to make her fat and insecure so she won't.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Just Dan Again posted:

In my elementary/junior high, we ran the mile (or something like a mile, four laps around the soccer field) once a week - the Monday Mile, and our teachers were strict as hell about it. I did not realize until this moment we were actually in training.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Once again, I do not understand what point Curtis is trying to make.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Aunt Fritzi spanks hogs

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "43 - Jucika's Unfaithful Knight"

Crossing Jucika is like picking a fight with Val or Popeye. :allears:

"44 - Jucika is Dancing"

Vargo posted:

Once again, I do not understand what point Curtis is trying to make.

About three backhanded jabs at "college degrees aren't worth it" and the Mom looks down on blue-collars.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh I meant "you" as in "the thread" actually, probably could have made that clearer :v:
Big Nate is not usually like this.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
So, there were probably edits about this in the old thread but most of those images aren't loading for me, so whatev

I wanted to do something with the comic of Phantom taking his shirt off too, but that seemed like shooting fish in a barrel.

This could be a series.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Somehow not any less funny than any normal Compu-Toon.