Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Frankston posted:

Thanks. That sucks.

What would playing on after defeating Ganon mean? All the gloom disappears, bokoblins go poof, and you get to run around a peaceful monsterless world? That doesn't sound like a very fun gameplay experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I'm sure when I fire it up again I'll figure it out right away.

Prior to this I found a map and ended up in the Depths searching for a treasure that turned out just to be a hat that boosts sideways climbing, but I had to conquer a Lizalfos gauntlet to get it. It took me forever just find it because I hadn't explored that area much yet. Had to unlock some towers to find the right chasm. I was hoping for something a little cooler. Sideways climbing. Huh.

I spent forever in the Depths trying to figure out how to get to the X up top, and when I finally lit up the map and saw it was an enclosed space, I worked my way over there going to the surface and jumping down a hole and then come to find out that chest is protected by the like, king hydra :negative:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

What would playing on after defeating Ganon mean? All the gloom disappears, bokoblins go poof, and you get to run around a peaceful monsterless world? That doesn't sound like a very fun gameplay experience.

Well I've defeated Ganon in this setting once already and it didn't seem to do the trick so if none of that stuff went away I can't say I'd be terribly surprised.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you can tell that wasn't canon because all the npcs immediately forgot about it and never mentioned it again :v:
it was just a hallucination link had while under surgical anesthesia for his prosthetic arm installation

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's hardly anything to go by in a world where it's shocking that 90% of the population doesn't drown in a light rain

Probably nobody mentions the Calamity because it didn't happen in the last 6 hours

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

That's hardly anything to go by in a world where it's shocking that 90% of the population doesn't drown in a light rain

everytime I get a side quest that's like "please help, these monsters are terrorizing me!" and it's a couple aerocudas it's like, idk, pick up a rock or something. Throw a stick at it. it's not even a bokoblin or something geez

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Looking the game, but man, some things were either designed to waste time or were not well thought out. On their own, not so bad but with how big this game is it can start to drag; first of alI really wish I could fast track or skip repeated conversations, especially when they're required to progress something. The most criminal right now is this first fairy. You need to talk to the band leader so you can start to repair their cart, then talk to them after repairing to get them in the cart, then get a horse and hook it to the cart. Horses control like crap for me, and then if the cart jostles there quest is failed and it takes you all the way back. You can't just retry pulling the wagon; everything is literally reset, and you have to redo EVERYTHING (including every conversation) before you can even try pulling them again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Agreed that the game doesn't really respect your time, in a lot of the same ways as the first one. The standout imo is shrine cutscenes, which have 4 per shrine that are near a minute long apiece even though there are hundreds of them to complete. The unlocking animation could get shorter the more shrines you open, or have more than just the 1 angle for every shrine cutscene. I don't want to skip them because that breaks the flow... but the flow is so abysmally slow it begs to be broken.

The one time the game did the permanently shorter cutscenes with Skyview towers I was really refreshed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I already get angry at the slowness of skipping multiple cutscenes every time, I can't even imagine sitting through them all. I think I'd quit the game by the second day!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm starting to realise that wasting your time with inane poo poo is a Zelda tradition. Finishing TotK inspired me to give Twilight Princess a shot, and the first hour of that game is all annoying minigames and tasks.

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

FooF posted:

I'll be very curious how DLC will be handled. Obviously they're working on it. Maybe the reason the Sheikah stuff is never mentioned in-game is because it's being saved for some expansion content. I figure a Master Mode of some type is a given, and perhaps a Trial of the Sword-type quest I feel like the Master Sword isn't anything that special considering the lengths it took to restore/empower it. It's literally the same weapon from BotW with a Fuse mechanic. I can't really even tell if it does double damage to Gloom enemies. Or, if they really want to do something cool, some sort of prologue where you play out the actions of the failed Sage attack on Dorf. I'm also curious if they ever explore how the Ancient Calamity (from the tapestry, not the one 100 years ago) fits into this new Zonai Imprisoning War stuff. Like, make Link the Ancient Hero fighting the Calamity, with the Divine Beasts helping and all that.

The Master Sword is relatively a lot more powerful now. Few weapons have a base damage of thirty with the whole "all the weapons degraded thing" while half th BotW weapons were stronger than the Master Sword.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Don’t know if this is true or not, but apparently the whole “double damage when Master Sword is fully glowing” mechanic from BoTW is still on, but now it’s applied AFTER the Base 30+Fusion damage so it can get pretty nuts when fighting Gloomed enemies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fangz posted:

The champion Zora spear is pretty drat good. It's quite durable, fast and has the double damage when wet trait.

Haha I've been gradually building up my legendary weapons for my boss run and I was fighting a Lynels and just had to give it a few pokes because my weapon suddenly was like 179 damage.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Trying to get rid of a niggling, troubling notion: there's no difference between shrines you've completed and shrines you've activated but not completed on the map? So if I activated a shine and got distracted at some point I might be one shrine off when the time comes to complete them all, and I'll never know which one it is?? Please tell me I'm wrong. :)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

Trying to get rid of a niggling, troubling notion: there's no difference between shrines you've completed and shrines you've activated but not completed on the map? So if I activated a shine and got distracted at some point I might be one shrine off when the time comes to complete them all, and I'll never know which one it is?? Please tell me I'm wrong. :)

The icon tracks that, as well as whether you got the chest

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Black Griffon posted:

If you've activated a shrine but not completed it, the icon will be an orange core with a blue outline, fully completed shrines are completely blue. Might have to zoom in a bit to distinguish but the difference is still relatively visible.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

What are people's strategy for Flux Constructs when they are in frisbee mode and flying really high up?

I figure depending on the environment you can get above them but there's been a few times now where I had no way of hitting the weak block because it's on top of the rest of them and I've had to just shoot bomb arrows and hope the AOE hits it. Am I missing something obvious?

If you have Riju, her ability does enough damage to lower them. Then you can ascend up the perimeter (not the center though).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder what the thinnest point between depths and surface is

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah the game is pretty nice about that at least. Also caves mark the ones you've found the bubbul gem in with a checkmark.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Tunicate posted:

The icon tracks that, as well as whether you got the chest

Inadequately posted:

If you've activated a shrine but not completed it, the icon will be an orange core with a blue outline, fully completed shrines are completely blue. Might have to zoom in a bit to distinguish but the difference is still relatively visible.

See I thought the orange was just for non-activated ones, but I guess I wasn't zoomed in enough. Anyway my roomie just came home from vacation and she's on hour eight of a binge trying to catch up with no end in sight so I'll never know!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Finally got the master sword after having 3 full stamina wheels for 15 hours.

Fighting the gloom hands is vastly easier when you have 1+ sages because they are also grabbed and targeted by the hands, giving you a lot of breathing room. The subsequent fight was vastly easier as well because you can dodge/parry.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

Agreed that the game doesn't really respect your time, in a lot of the same ways as the first one. The standout imo is shrine cutscenes, which have 4 per shrine that are near a minute long apiece even though there are hundreds of them to complete. The unlocking animation could get shorter the more shrines you open, or have more than just the 1 angle for every shrine cutscene. I don't want to skip them because that breaks the flow... but the flow is so abysmally slow it begs to be broken.

The one time the game did the permanently shorter cutscenes with Skyview towers I was really refreshed.

they’re to mask loading screens

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

Finally got the master sword after having 3 full stamina wheels for 15 hours.

Fighting the gloom hands is vastly easier when you have 1+ sages because they are also grabbed and targeted by the hands, giving you a lot of breathing room. The subsequent fight was vastly easier as well because you can dodge/parry.

Puffshroom the hands ez gg

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Augus posted:

they’re to mask loading screens

No they aren't because of you sit at them for any length of time you still have to sit through the loading screens when leaving.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i continually forget puffshrooms exist :negative:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I sold all of my puffshrooms for 600 rupees

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I use puffshrooms to slaughter bokoblin troops with zero remorse. Link solves puzzles better covered in the blood of his enemies.

Did the water temple! Picked that first because Sidons my homie and wanted to see what he was up to. Bubbles were really cool and I liked how the gravity was turned down to make it feel underwater. An excellent throwback to the Water Temple without having to change boots every five steps. If the other temples have approaches and puzzles like the water temple did, then yeah they did good justice to the Zelda dungeon concept. I'm including the approach to getting in the temple in my dungeon.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Puffshrooms are relegated to when I need to kill overworld silver enemies as black bokobolin horns need to be replaced by silver ones after the 2 temple game change.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Finished all the great fairy musician quests and got through two or three upgrades for all my usual armors :toot:

I thought the quest gimmick was pretty neat, but spoiled a bit because I don't like the horse and wagon mechanics. So the last couple were the most fun by getting further away from that.

Stop complaining, you'll dry off eventually! :v:

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I'm as annoyed by unskippable dialogue as the next goon, but I can't get mad at the repeated exposition from quest NPCs because my BOTW experience was playing for a few days and then forgetting everything over the course of a couple months to a year. :shobon:

I kind of regret that I did so much of the exploring in TOTK already just by walking places and gliding and so on, robbing me of excuses to build ridiculous vehicular contraptions. I saw people exfiltrate the electric motor with the propeller from a shrine (either via autobuild or just fusing and paying to separate) and use them to build stronger-lift planes etc, which sounds like a fun direction. There's also amazing literal wheels-within-wheels contraptions whose only limit for land speed seems to be traction with the ground. :allears:

I have to keep reminding myself that Just Building poo poo is always an option. When I found the king gleeok arena in the depths, I fled really quickly when I couldn't find any ledges to ascend to because spamming ascend and bullet time arrows was my only strategy. Then hours of gameplay later I realized they literally gave me a free schematic for a ledge that works as cover as well as ascend spot and I went back and killed the thing easily.

If only they let me fuse stuff to my shield in the menus, I'd do a lot more bomb jumping, too...

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
With how many of those Penn quests ended with me being attacked by the Yiga clan, I'm suspicious that Penn is actually Yiga

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By the way, a ghost in the depths gave me a pristine royal guard's sword, which was unidentified in his hands so I definitely had never found it or broken it before.

That puts the kibosh to any 'you need to break an unfused weapon first' theories

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Tunicate posted:

By the way, a ghost in the depths gave me a pristine royal guard's sword, which was unidentified in his hands so I definitely had never found it or broken it before.

That puts the kibosh to any 'you need to break an unfused weapon first' theories

The pristine versions count as separate weapons in the compendium though, so I don’t think identifying the decayed version counts.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Tunicate posted:

Pristine weapons are a separate entry and still show up as unidentified until you pick them up even if you've used the decayed version.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The solution to opening the locks in the wind temple makes sense but it's so janky I tried it last night, "missed", and was like "Nah this can't be it, too janky."

And ten seconds later I realize you don't have to be gliding to trigger that ability

Mulaney Power Move fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 28, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is there a list of "pristine" weapons that can show up? I'd figure it's just the Traveler/Knight/Soldier/Royal stuff but I found a pristine Boomerang as well.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Mega64 posted:

Is there a list of "pristine" weapons that can show up? I'd figure it's just the Traveler/Knight/Soldier/Royal stuff but I found a pristine Boomerang as well.

You could check the encyclopedia, pristine weapons have a different entry right next to the decayed one. That said I'm sure any weapon that looks/mentions decay has a pristine variation, which are unlocked by breaking the decayed, unfused weapon.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mining equipment

https://twitter.com/yukino_san_14/status/1662864375068368899?s=46&t=Mu6ngisnZlTkezPxh7sqCQ

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Mega64 posted:

I've been enjoying my pristine gerudo weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Wait you can fuse the Master Sword with stuff?