Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

They still have traits gained based off of activity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

If I could just manage to get hired as the military consultant for one of these games and then somehow get put in charge...

e: Characters developing traits based on what they were doing - for example developing vices from being in a major city their whole careers - was an incredible feature, and one I wish they'd stuck with, considering how popular CK is.

I remember in Shogun there were all sorts of ways someone might turn out, reflecting the society that produced them. Send a 16 year old kid to war continuously, and you produce a bloodthirsty psycho. Keep a son in the capital without an army his whole life? You might produce a poet, or a drunk, depending on the buildings and public order.

The stuff in Shogun is pretty half-assed, and it's telling that this "fat guy" trait is by far the most common despite being one of the most negative in the game lol. The same trait and same phenomenon was in Empire/Napoleon too.

CA is sort of like Paradox in that I suspect that they're run incompetently and succeed by virtue of being the only devs in a genre. Even in the fun games they had wacky stuff going on. The difference was that they were mostly fun, rather than sometimes fun sometimes tedium, or worse

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mantis42 posted:

I'd be happy if the AI could just maintain a line and and such.

Play Shogun 1 or Medieval 1. The battle AI used to be able to manage that much, at least.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The point of Total War AI is to do stupid things that let you feel smart, and it does the job well enough.

If I wanted to actually plan strategy against someone capable of counterplay, I'd play Dominions5. (And I did play 11 games of it, won 3 or 4, and retired because I just didn't have the time for it anymore)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

CA is sort of like Paradox in that I suspect that they're run incompetently and succeed by virtue of being the only devs in a genre. Even in the fun games they had wacky stuff going on. The difference was that they were mostly fun, rather than sometimes fun sometimes tedium, or worse

Most likely, yeah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Play Shogun 1 or Medieval 1. The battle AI used to be able to manage that much, at least.

The last TA game I played war medieval and yeah, I remember the AI managing to move blocks of dudes around coherently and stuff but it was still really passive overall, like it was made for you to be able to do some sick Alexander flanking moves but never ever get them done to you in return.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/ - Warham Gladius is available free until June 1. It's an AoW-type game but Warhams.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Victoria 3 is good you dorks. Anyone advocating vicky 2 over it should be committed

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

'Wahhh they put too much of the good stuff into the free patch and not the dlc abloo bloo'

Eat my fart, ive solidified it in the freezer on a popsicle stick and im handing it to you, eat it you worthless gd gamer pigs

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Anarcho Liberal

i think v3 is better then 2 by a mile idgaf about controling ur stupid army mans theres like 12043 other paradox map games that let u do that i just want to industrialize Persia and get into hell wars with russia

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shogun 2's trait system was weirdly bugged iirc and a lot of the traits were vanishingly rare when they weren't supposed to be. I think S2 was actually sorta their peak for strategy layers- it was ruthless but pretty simple to figure out most of the time, whereas after that they dumped a bunch of complexity into province management which didn't really add much, as well as making it so there was much less of a serious endgame threat.

E: vv fair yeah, reminds me I need to try 3k again once I get a computer that can actually run it well

StashAugustine has issued a correction as of 04:09 on May 28, 2023

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Id say shogun 2 was peak until 3k, which has a fantastic top layer

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I heard the Company of Heroes community is mad at the third gamez what did it nor show enough difference to the Nazis?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KomradeX posted:

I heard the Company of Heroes community is mad at the third gamez what did it nor show enough difference to the Nazis?

Yes

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Jesus loving Christ

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I think relic just stopped supporting cause they are spread real thin (they also did the new age of empires). I guess they just had a bunch of layoffs. Shame cause i thought this one was decent

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

KomradeX posted:

no there's a bunch of problems with it

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Vicky 2 and 3 are similar in that both have conceptually interesting military mechanics that are let down by insane UI deficiencies.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The secret to Shogun 2's map AI seeming competent: They heavily constrained places that can be pathed to by using the mountains to restrict movement. Once you take out the dumbest options, the remaining ones are passably ok.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

This is also known as good design.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, yes, that wasn't a complaint. :)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

my dad posted:

The secret to Shogun 2's map AI seeming competent: They heavily constrained places that can be pathed to by using the mountains to restrict movement. Once you take out the dumbest options, the remaining ones are passably ok.

they are also not competent. The metagame is conquering a corner of japan and then trigger realm divide lol.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We probably have different criteria for competent when it comes to total war game AI, but the corner strat would work regardless of AI because limiting how many places you have to defend is just a good practice in that situation.

Hell, I did that with the Saga clan, take the west side of Japan with artillery-backed traditionalist armies and multiple fleets of cheap lovely ships to guard my flanks, stop conquests a few provinces short of triggering realm divide, industrialize the poo poo out of my lands, and then switch gear to full modern warfare and roll over the rest of Japan.

Regular Shogun 2 I mostly played ashigaru focused Oda. It gives me a fun positional challenge throughout the game, gives me a bump early on when high difficulty can be a bit too punishing, and gives me interesting enemies to overcome later on.

The other expansion... I really want to like it, but it's just... I dunno, empty? I get the idea, and it should have been something fun, but it's just not.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Look your vassals betraying you because some number went too high is just the AI being a poo poo. 3K by contrast had a lot of systems (color coded even!) that let you play either tall or wide, specialize your provinces to an incredible degree based upon natural resources and generally provide a complete if somewhat simplistic mapgame to set the stage for your battles.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh. I didn't count that one since I saw it as a flaw of the realm divide mechanic itself, but yeah, it's absolutely bullshit.

I've never played 3K! My computer can't handle the modern total wars, so I can't comment on these much. Sounds pretty cool, tho.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Look your vassals betraying you because some number went too high is just the AI being a poo poo. 3K by contrast had a lot of systems (color coded even!) that let you play either tall or wide, specialize your provinces to an incredible degree based upon natural resources and generally provide a complete if somewhat simplistic mapgame to set the stage for your battles.

You are starting to sell me on 3K.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
3k is the abraham lincoln of total war games, gone right when poo poo was starting to get good.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I agree with most of that about Three Kingdoms except that I don't like the building variety at all, far too much in the way of tiny tweaks and minuscule differences where it feels more like having the best setup slightly obfuscated rather than having meaningful choices about how you build provinces.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Oh boy it's coming up the anniversary of the Battle of Midway

PYF Pacific ww2 game, book, or story

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Pacific War reprint by GMT

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Battlestations: Midway (NOT Pacific)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Allied General is still the only one that tries to model Operation Jupiter

Meanwhile Strategic Command does have an Operation Unthinkable, but the scenario is laid out in such a way that the odds are against the Soviets just from the sheer crushing force of massed Allied airpower 📽️📽️📽️

UOC2 does have Unthinkable too, it’s a bonus mission in the campaign

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh boy it's coming up the anniversary of the Battle of Midway

PYF Pacific ww2 game, book, or story

war in the pacific (when someone else is playing it for a Let's Play)

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The stuff in Shogun is pretty half-assed, and it's telling that this "fat guy" trait is by far the most common despite being one of the most negative in the game lol. The same trait and same phenomenon was in Empire/Napoleon too.

I swear hardly anyone has heard of it but King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame was a far superior Total Warhammer, and it predated it by like a decade.

Genuinely it was great.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Battlestations: Midway (NOT Pacific)

gently caress that game was good. I'm so mad the franchise died.

Zeppelin Insanity has issued a correction as of 19:20 on May 28, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the thing with warhammer total war is it has the warhammer setting and so you can play satanic industrialist dwarfs and dinosaurs with lasers

this inevitably leads to somewhat greater variety than most other total war settings

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Fuligin posted:

Id say shogun 2 was peak until 3k, which has a fantastic top layer

It's probably the best total war game they've made, the fall of the samurai expansion was so good. I had a friend refuse to play the expansion because the new gun units absolutely disseminated all the OG samurai units.

Like yes you idiot, that is the whole point.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I swear hardly anyone has heard of it but King Arthur: The Roleplaying Wargame was a far superior Total Warhammer, and it predated it by like a decade.

Genuinely it was great.

Man I remember that. Forgot where I bought it though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

the thing with warhammer total war is it has the warhammer setting and so you can play satanic industrialist dwarfs and dinosaurs with lasers

this inevitably leads to somewhat greater variety than most other total war settings

They balance it out by having the battles be shallower than usual. The games are still near the peak for the series but variety is overstated when you can lump most of the units into like 5 types and use them the same way on the same maps.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Danann posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/ - Warham Gladius is available free until June 1. It's an AoW-type game but Warhams.

I want to like that game but the fact that ingame research tree constantly tells you are you are locked out of the DLC content and tells you to pay for it really turned me off

tbf tho apparantly it's made by a team of 3 ppl, so I get why they need the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

John Charity Spring posted:

I agree with most of that about Three Kingdoms except that I don't like the building variety at all, far too much in the way of tiny tweaks and minuscule differences where it feels more like having the best setup slightly obfuscated rather than having meaningful choices about how you build provinces.

you use them to specialize provinces based on local resources. Make a massive city and turn the wider province into an armory where it sucks up food from nearby provinces but you can use it to create massive high tier armies on the cheap, something that was very easy to do with the the Sun family.