Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
This was in the replies to the quote Musk posted.

People were trying to convey that ChatGPT is not a sage that is more authoritative than actual fact-finding but it didn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

AI could make fun of billionaires exponentially. #GOP needs to act before it's too late.

So few people realise this!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wish I could set a word filter that replaces "chatgpt" and similar with "clippy"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bonzi buddy told me that it is a quote from Voltaire!!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I said come in! posted:

There's like a 110% chance Elon Musk is well aware that he is sharing a quote from a neo-Nazi.

Last time he posted it, someone pointed out it was a nazi quote and he deleted it. This time it appears to be staying up, but who can scrute his politics as to why?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I said come in! posted:

There's like a 110% chance Elon Musk is well aware that he is sharing a quote from a neo-Nazi.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Agents are GO! posted:

Can we move this timeline up at all?

Sorry night crew had quorum and we decided to sit on our asses and do nothing. You can start a motion to reopen the voting, but just be aware that can be filibustered.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do people really use Chatgpt as some sort of Google Butler?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Professor Shark posted:

Ask Jeeves was ahead of his time, RIP

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I will admit to using the bing ai one sometimes when normal searching isn't getting me anything. Thankfully it provides links from what websites it based it's answer on so I have something to check. Annoyed those sites didn't show up when I searched the normal way though...

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Yes, at least anecdotally speaking. I'm an academic librarian and have seen several instances of students and faculty alike treating it like it's Google with conversational skills, and then getting shocked and confused when it serves them a heaping pile of wrong information.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/arvalis/status/1662848402160508928?s=46&t=6HOSYVrXffESMo0NlyR0Lg

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I'm trying to sell my house and chat GPT saved me a bunch of money on closing costs! Now, time to go file this quick claim deed with the county!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

yes

https://simonwillison.net/2023/May/27/lawyer-chatgpt/

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
You’d like to think that a ceo for a sm company might be savvy enough to understand that pulling the plug on the European market is not, in fact, a way to make money. But it’s Elon so lol.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1662735624082714624?cxt=HHwWgMCzzbLPnJMuAAAA
(Spoiler alert - apparently it's another one of Soros's nefarious plans.)

Also, don't worry LGBQ people - Elon can safely speak for all of you.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1662735803150221313?cxt=HHwWgoC-4ejZnJMuAAAA

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 28, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

I wish he'd die

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Lmao gently caress these people. I think I’m gonna tap out of this thread now that Twitter is just naked racism, fascism and antisemitism

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at musk, and muskrats and other tech bros letting a chat bot do their """"""fact finding for them"""""""". just the stupidiest mofos.

like Radiolab had a great episode yesterday about how the UK gov has a bunch of paper records of their colonial era crime days, and theyre currently sandbagging efforts to release the records because they want to run the clock out on survivors and do some """""""redacting"""""".

christ this is the stupidiest tiemline.

.random
May 7, 2007

Yes, this, but replace gollum’s face with Elon Musk’s

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Yes, at least anecdotally speaking. I'm an academic librarian and have seen several instances of students and faculty alike treating it like it's Google with conversational skills, and then getting shocked and confused when it serves them a heaping pile of wrong information.

It's an on-demand bespoke wikipedia page-generator written by someone who doesn't know anything. It's insane to me that this is treated like a real source of information. Human beings are wired to believe speech == intelligence, we built a machine that can mimic speech, and surprise! we're treating it like it's intelligent. We dumb.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's an on-demand bespoke wikipedia page-generator written by someone who doesn't know anything. It's insane to me that this is treated like a real source of information. Human beings are wired to believe speech == intelligence, we built a machine that can mimic speech, and surprise! we're treating it like it's intelligent. We dumb.

We really are. People genuinely see "AI" and genuinely believe it's thinking and processing, rather than what it actually does and just guesses what to say based off the info it's been trained on. I had a graduate student who asked for articles on their very specific capstone topic, and it provided like, twenty citations that sounded completely relevant - and not a single one of course actually existed anywhere in the real world. Not nearly as alarming as the faculty who are like, renowned experts in their respective fields are making the exact same mistake.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Guys, not only is it a meme and therefore it doesn't matter what it says at all lol it's just a funny meme, chatGPT (the god-oracle) told me the quote doesn't have a clear attribution, and as we all know, chatGPT (the sum total of human knowledge given a consciousness and dare i say, the right to rule over us as gods?) is infallible and cannot lie, for why would it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The dumbest part of it all is that it's entirely possible to sideload reference docs into GPT (not chatGPT but actual GPT) and use it the way that people are pretending it works, but that requires a modicum of effort and critical thought and gathering accurate reference information from a reputable source in the first place

LLM AI owns and can do so, so much. The problem is that the vast majority of people are too dumb to understand how to use it, and use it in the wrong way. See also: That lawyer who just got in trouble for using chatGPT to generate legal filings that cited fake cases.

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Gentlemen, we have a problem. Models suggest at his current rate of radicalization, Elon musk will be drinking aged urine and shooting himself in the testicles by June 31 of this year.

Suggestions?

where's the problem?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is musk's TruthAI still a piece of poo poo that cant even answer 1 + 1?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Brother Tadger posted:

I mean, he is a certified brain genius given that he was able to identify “lion”, “rhinoceros”, and “giraffe”, after all

Uh got some bad news about your dementia test results there buddy

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Frank Frank posted:

Lmao gently caress these people. I think I’m gonna tap out of this thread now that Twitter is just naked racism, fascism and antisemitism

it reminds me of 20 years ago when SA used to regularly beef with stormfront tbh. that poo poo was equally stupid and depressing

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Yeah, I had a manager who kept insisting that it was possible to do something in one of our applications. When we finally got so frustrated from trying to find out what he was talking about, he sent us step-by-step instructions and told us to follow them exactly. When things went off the rails on, like, step 2 and none of the menus or functions existed in the application, he finally admitted that he just asked ChatGPT how to do it. He's not the dumbest man alive (I don't work for Twitter), but he's definitely close.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kingo Ligma posted:

Uh got some bad news about your dementia test results there buddy

I'd never get past the "remember 5 words 5 minutes later" part. That poo poo is gone the second you move on

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lower level workers should counter with print outs for "how to replace bosses / managers with AI" and see how fast those dumbasses go "waa no i have a something an AI cant do, STOP IT"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/bestofdyingtwit/status/1662919934702424064
lmao

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

ben shapino posted:

I wish he'd die

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Also, don't worry LGBQ people - Elon can safely speak for all of you.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1662735803150221313?cxt=HHwWgoC-4ejZnJMuAAAA

https://twitter.com/LathyrusB/status/1648071204358569986

you love to see those furry femboy alt rights

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

Elong is so alpha. "They didn't give us a choice!"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

PhazonLink posted:

is musk's TruthAI still a piece of poo poo that cant even answer 1 + 1?

I can't answer that. I can't do it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

"Age-restricted adult content. This content might not be appropriate for people under 18 years old. To view this media, you’ll need to log in to Twitter."

i dont have a bird account and dont know what that furry is replying to but the context clues point to something dumb.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Can someone explain to me how someone becomes a gay right wing furry?

I feel like 2 of those things immediately disqualify the other, but holy gently caress if there are not an impressive and depressing number of cases of sheer cognitive dissonance walking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I like that this random rebuke by some twitter person apparently uses some diagram from1955.