Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there anything that the Dems can do to stop this from being a regular, predictable crisis where the only viable option is to concede to the fascists?

They can retain control of the House, which is the body that has unilateral power to create these kinds of crises at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

the_steve posted:

Mostly because when faced with an obstacle, and someone floats the idea of "There may be One Weird Trick", the Dems shrink back and go "We can't do that, the Supreme Court MIGHT strike it down uwu. We don't know that they would or not, but the possibility scares us." and the Republicans go "Lol, bet."
Obviously it doesn't always pay off, but they're still willing to take shots that the Dems won't to see what works.

I was being sarcastic. My honest opinion is that the Democrat Party as a whole is glad for the Republicans to turn into sickening freaks so they themselves can become contemptuous Tories. Shut up, take the benefits cuts or we'll feed you to the maniacs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a troll account the mods have known is a troll account for six months, but have refused to remove. Thus, the thread is now theirs.

They wanted to do something, but Sinema and Manchin wouldn't let them.

As someone relying on SSDI and other government aid to survive, sure is fun to be the hostage.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way, but if part of your Fourteenth Amendment plan is an assumption that the Supreme Court and its financial backers wouldn't blow up the global economy, wouldn't you want to wait as late as possible to say "the Fourteenth Amendment makes the debt ceiling unconstitutional?"

You wouldn't want to give the Court any sort of window, even if they hear the case unprecedentedly quickly, where the debt ceiling hasn't yet elapsed. You wouldn't want the Court's choice to be "the debt ceiling no longer exists vs. Biden goes back to the negotiating table", you want it to be "the debt ceiling no longer exists vs. immediate default and global economic catastrophe" if you really want to tie the Court's hands.

Obviously that's a very "pure game theory" approach. I suspect it falls apart in practice, and it's clear at this point that it's not what Biden is doing, but I have been thinking about it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fister Roboto posted:

Why? Do you think it's only possible if the Dems explicitly state that that's what they're doing? Do you believe that politicians never lie about their intentions or make promises they never intend to keep? Are we only allowed to judge them based on what they've said, and not on their actions (or lack of action)?

The Dems could have resolved this in a way that didn't throw poor people under the bus. They chose not to.

Here's your own words a few posts up on this page:

Fister Roboto posted:

But with this, they have the excuse to say that they were backed into a corner and they just had no choice.

Surely the reason Democrats want an excuse to say that they were backed into a corner and they just had no choice is so that they can say it. So where are the Democratic politicians saying they were backed into a corner and they just had no choice? There has to be literally one of them, right? Like even a tweet from a state legislator?

Is it too much to ask for one example of Democrats doing the thing you said Democrats were doing?

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 28, 2023

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Main Paineframe posted:

That doesn't really make any sense. The executive taking it upon itself to ignore the debt limit law after Congress' refusal to raise it is going to be a constitutional crisis, no matter when it happens. There's absolutely no merit in triggering it earlier on purpose.

A situation in which the three branches of government do not agree on whether debt payments were valid is necessarily going to be alarming to people who hold US debt or might want to hold it, regardless of when it's triggered.

That's an incorrect, Republican framing. It's not the executive taking it upon itself to ignore the debt limit. Congress controls spending, Congress orders spending, the executive is required to obey the spending which Congress has approved. The issue is that Congress has passed two contradictory laws - the law which says what the debt ceiling is and a law telling the executive how much to spend. The executive must obey both laws, but cannot because of the contradiction. I think a 1979 Supreme Court decision said something to the effect that the executive cannot selectively choose what parts of the budget to ignore - which is what they would be forced to do if they had to adhere to the debt limit.

You've just said that (1)invoking the 14th amendment can't be done now because it's too close to the deadline and would create uncertainty, and also (2) the executive cannot use the 14th amendment earlier than needed because it's unnecessary too far from the deadline. Isn't that a Catch-22? You can only invoke the 14th when it's your last option, but if it's your last option you ALSO cannot invoke it because continuing to pay the bills is for some reason, apparently considered to be just as bad as default.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

theCalamity posted:

People focus on the baseline number because it’s a good solid number to show and demonstrate how much it’s gone up compared to how much benefits are cut. It’s easier to grasp than the percentage of GDP is.
Yeah i get that. It’s just that % of GDP is a more useful measure, compared to real dollars and especially compared to nominal dollars. The defense budget has grown 2.5% a year since 2014, and if you pick mid-00s endpoints the growth is even slower. Consider that that budget involves the military dealing with all the economic costs that grow faster than GDP like education, healthcare and housing, because its budget involves all those sectors.

E: like, “the number is getting bigger, ahhhh!” is the same psychological impulse that makes people freak out about our relatively manageable debt levels in the first place, leading to situations exactly like this.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 28, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Here's your own words a few posts up on this page:

Surely the reason Democrats want an excuse to say that they were backed into a corner and they just had no choice is so that they can say it. So where are the Democratic politicians saying they were backed into a corner and they just had no choice? There has to be literally one of them, right? Like even a tweet from a state legislator?

Is it too much to ask for one example of Democrats doing the thing you said Democrats were doing?

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Military spending doesn't just starve other programs, it is a threat to all humans on the planet (obviously some much more than others) through climate change.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Adenoid Dan posted:

Military spending doesn't just starve other programs, it is a threat to all humans on the planet (obviously some much more than others) through climate change.
Isn’t this kind of true of… all economic activity, though? And obviously some military funding goes into ways to increase their energy efficiency - whether it’s enough to offset other increases I don’t know. But the military’s overall carbon footprint has fallen about 15% since 2007 despite the increases in funding.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Adenoid Dan posted:

Honestly the US best hope against climate change is probably the military deciding to do something about it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Did you even read the words in that image before you posted it?? Nothing there is remotely like "we were backed into a corner and just had no choice"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

the_steve posted:

Mostly because when faced with an obstacle, and someone floats the idea of "There may be One Weird Trick", the Dems shrink back and go "We can't do that, the Supreme Court MIGHT strike it down uwu. We don't know that they would or not, but the possibility scares us." and the Republicans go "Lol, bet."
Obviously it doesn't always pay off, but they're still willing to take shots that the Dems won't to see what works.

The problem is that invoking the 14th and then having it upheld by the court isn't the whole issue. The process of invoking the 14th would absolutely cause some of the very issues that a default would simply because of the uncertainty of that solution. Confidence in U.S. debt would completely crater in the short term and there would be significant economic aftershocks during the period between "14th is invoked" and "it gets fast-tracked to the Supreme Court", even if that period was like two weeks or something incredibly short.

It might be worth it in the end assuming it ultimately led to the destruction of the concept of the debt limit, but I'm not surprised that Biden is trying to avoid having "threw the entire global economy into a panic by entering into a staredown with a supreme court full of true believer lunatics" attached to his administration's resume.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

FizFashizzle posted:

Honestly the US best hope against climate change is probably the military deciding to do something about it.

I think resorting to WMD's, while effective at reducing consumption, would be immoral.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kanos posted:

The problem is that invoking the 14th and then having it upheld by the court isn't the whole issue. The process of invoking the 14th would absolutely cause some of the very issues that a default would simply because of the uncertainty of that solution. Confidence in U.S. debt would completely crater in the short term and there would be significant economic aftershocks during the period between "14th is invoked" and "it gets fast-tracked to the Supreme Court", even if that period was like two weeks or something incredibly short.

It might be worth it in the end assuming it ultimately led to the destruction of the concept of the debt limit, but I'm not surprised that Biden is trying to avoid having "threw the entire global economy into a panic by entering into a staredown with a supreme court full of true believer lunatics" attached to his administration's resume.

So republicans have found the perfect mechanism to get guaranteed concessions on a regular timeline forever, and there’s nothing anyone in the US can do about it?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I AM GRANDO posted:

So republicans have found the perfect mechanism to get guaranteed concessions on a regular timeline forever, and there’s nothing anyone in the US can do about it?

They can get a sufficiently blue congress, with a constituent base sufficiently sane about the national debt that the debt ceiling can be removed by the same mechanism that introduced it without handing Congress to the Rs.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

I thought the problem was that there was a deadline where the world economy was going to explode, which is why there was no time to invoke the 14th amendment and deal with the legal challenges. Is that not the case?

Is there anything that the Dems can do to stop this from being a regular, predictable crisis where the only viable option is to concede to the fascists?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's an incorrect, Republican framing. It's not the executive taking it upon itself to ignore the debt limit. Congress controls spending, Congress orders spending, the executive is required to obey the spending which Congress has approved. The issue is that Congress has passed two contradictory laws - the law which says what the debt ceiling is and a law telling the executive how much to spend. The executive must obey both laws, but cannot because of the contradiction. I think a 1979 Supreme Court decision said something to the effect that the executive cannot selectively choose what parts of the budget to ignore - which is what they would be forced to do if they had to adhere to the debt limit.

You've just said that (1)invoking the 14th amendment can't be done now because it's too close to the deadline and would create uncertainty, and also (2) the executive cannot use the 14th amendment earlier than needed because it's unnecessary too far from the deadline. Isn't that a Catch-22? You can only invoke the 14th when it's your last option, but if it's your last option you ALSO cannot invoke it because continuing to pay the bills is for some reason, apparently considered to be just as bad as default.

The problem is that the world economy is based on the idea that US debt is 100% reliable and absolutely going to be paid back, with zero chance whatsoever of a payment being missed or delayed. US debt is considered the safest investment in the world, and a lot of economic assumptions have been built around that. So anything that threatens that base assumption risks bringing the economy into crisis.

If a debt payment is made in a way that may or may not be constitutional, and has to be dragged into the Supreme Court to determine whether that payment was even legal, that payment obviously can't be taken as safe and secure. Doesn't matter if a debt ceiling crisis is currently looming or not. Even if the administration makes payments under a 14th Amendment claim, the people who own the debt can't exactly spend that money, since they have no guarantee that the government isn't going to be forced to claw that money back next year. Even if the administration pays out the money, the people who own the debt can't exactly treat the payments as their own until the Supreme Court has confirmed it's not going to overturn that entire legal theory. That's not a safe investment.

That's why the 14th Amendment is an absolute last-resort move. Even if the executive branch unilaterally forces payments using unprecedented legal doctrines, those payments can't be considered safe and stable until the judicial branch confirms them, which makes them riskier and more uncertain than if Congress raised the debt limit the same way it always does. And it's that risk and uncertainty that poses a threat to the US credit rating and therefore to the economy as a whole.

Yes, this does mean that repeated, successive debt crisises can also harm the economy even if deals are eventually passed. In fact, credit-rating agencies lowered the credit rating of US debt during the 2011 debt-ceiling crisis. The markets would generally prefer that these sorts of down-to-the-wire showdowns don't happen at all. But if they do have to happen, they would prefer the tried-and-true resolution of "Congress strikes a deal and passes a law raising the ceiling or removing it entirely", because there's no legal uncertainty here: once the deal is struck and passed, it's legally rock-solid and there's no further uncertainty (at least until the next time the ceiling approaches).

I AM GRANDO posted:

The mechanism they're using to get concessions here is "having control of the House". The debt ceiling actually isn't that special here - even if it were outright removed, there's other periodic must-pass legislation they could dig their heels in on.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Adenoid Dan posted:

Stupid question: obviously it's never going to happen politically, but constitutionally is there anything stopping the president from ordering the military to feed the hungry and build homes for the homeless? They do that when there are natural disasters, right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

James Garfield posted:

Did you even read the words in that image before you posted it?? Nothing there is remotely like "we were backed into a corner and just had no choice"

No, he did not literally, explicitly say that they were backed into a corner, and if that's what you're expecting me to provide for you then I'm sorry. But using rhetoric such as "not everyone gets what they want" or "that's the responsibility of governance" shows that the message they want to convey is that they had no choice but to accept this terrible compromise. I'd appreciate if you could make a reasonable attempt to understand what I'm trying to say instead of nitpicking at my words.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I just realized that the budget for the federal government's subsidies to private insurers under the ACA is quite close to the federal government's military budget, both being a hair short of $1 trillion per year.

I wonder which of the two is responsible for more deaths per year. I also wonder what modest cuts to the funding for each, instead of year-after-year increases, could provide in the way of good that saves lives instead of destroying them.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

No, he did not literally, explicitly say that they were backed into a corner, and if that's what you're expecting me to provide for you then I'm sorry. But using rhetoric such as "not everyone gets what they want" or "that's the responsibility of governance" shows that the message they want to convey is that they had no choice but to accept this terrible compromise. I'd appreciate if you could make a reasonable attempt to understand what I'm trying to say instead of nitpicking at my words.

You're giving Biden too much credit. He is not using 'backed into a corner' framing... he's using 'we did our jobs, deal with it' framing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

Honestly, as long as they have control of the house they can dig in their heels on all sorts of things, stuff like "give us what we want or we'll never pass a budget" or "give us what we want or we'll never allow any legislation you want to even come to the floor". The debt limit is an easy way to score highly visible points because it effectively turns a nothingburger of an issue into an economy-exploding crisis, but even if it were gone forever it wouldn't remove the ability for the Republicans to take hostages on a periodic basis as long as they hold the house.

This is just sort of the natural result of the increasing polarization of an already terrible two party system.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

They can get a sufficiently blue congress, with a constituent base sufficiently sane about the national debt that the debt ceiling can be removed by the same mechanism that introduced it without handing Congress to the Rs.

You can just say "No, there's nothing that can be done".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

You can just say "No, there's nothing that can be done".

That's the long and short of it, yes. There's a lot that can theoretically be done, but nothing that will actually happen or permanently address the issue even if it was.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I think it was Leon who mentioned a while back that Sen. Bob Menendez was under investigation for corruption once again; here are the deets:

quote:

Sources familiar with the matter say Damian Williams, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, along with FBI and IRS-Criminal Investigation agents are looking into whether the senator and his wife, Nadine Arslanian, improperly took gifts from the owner or associates of IS EG Halal — and whether the senator took any action in return.

Menendez, a Democrat, serves as chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee helping to oversee billions of dollars in aid to Egypt.

“Prosecutors would obviously want to look if money, apartments, cars were given to the senator or someone close to him in return for one of his official acts,” NBC News legal analyst Chuck Rosenberg said.

In addition to the investigation into any possible quid-pro-quo scheme, sources familiar with the matter said IRS criminal investigators are looking into whether the alleged gifts were properly accounted for on tax filings by the senator and his wife. None of the items appear listed on Menendez’s Senate disclosure forms.

Senate rules state in part that gifts to a member or someone close to him are considered gifts if a senator “has reason to believe the gift was given because of the official position.”

A spokeswoman for Menendez declined to comment when asked if the senator or his wife received a Mercedes, free rent, money or jewelry from the IS EG Halal business or associates. She referred NBC News to past statements in which the senator acknowledged an ongoing “inquiry” and said that “should there be any official inquiries, the senator is available to provide any assistance requested of him or his office.”

In 2019, IS EG Halal was awarded an exclusive contract with the Egyptian government to certify Halal meat exports worldwide. Seven longtime companies across the globe were suddenly fired by the Egyptian government and those firms lost millions in business to the Edgewater firm — a firm run by a Christian with little prior experience in Islamic certification of international meat imports and exports.

Peter Paradis, the former deputy assistant inspector general at the USDA, said the change in contracts "defies logic."

Paradis played no role in the current criminal investigation into the senator and his relationship with IS EG Halal. But Paradis points to past USDA reports on the controversy, including one that stated IS EG Halal “has no preexisting relationship with the US beef industry or Islamic organizations.”

“This corporation has no track record of doing these types of certifications — and yet the country in question earmarks them as the sole entity to perform that task?” Paradis said.

In recent years, the U.S. Supreme Court has issued a series of decisions narrowing the definition of public corruption. In 2018, Menendez had criminal charges against him dropped after a separate corruption the trial had ended in a hung jury. Allegations in that case were Menendez took gifts and free private jet trips from now-convicted Medicare fraudster Salomon Melgen.

U.S. Attorney Damian Williams is overseeing this latest criminal probe, according to sources and individuals who have received subpoenas. Nicholas Biase, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, declined comment. A spokesman for the FBI and a spokeswoman for IRS-CI also declined any comment.

This investigation into Menendez appears to have grown in scope in the past couple of weeks, after a new round of grand jury subpoenas were sent out, including one to North Bergen Mayor Nicholas Sacco. The new subpoenas do not appear related to any IS EG Halal-related matter but separate questions relating to the senator and state legislation relating to a proposed development deal, people familiar with the matter said.

Menendez is up for reelection next year so it'll be interesting to see if he faces any primary challengers or announces retirement.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kanos posted:

That's the long and short of it, yes. There's a lot that can theoretically be done, but nothing that will actually happen or permanently address the issue even if it was.

lol yeah. If we're at the point where we're acting like their hands are tied because the constituents are too insane just say no. Pack it up and say "No, nothing".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4024194-mccarthy-student-loan-payment-pause-gone-under-debt-ceiling-deal/

quote:

Speaker Kevin McCarthy said on Sunday described the student loan payment pause as “gone” as part of the debt ceiling deal announced by the California Republican and President Biden late Saturday night.

“The pause is gone within 60 days of this being signed. So that is another victory because that brings in $5 billion each month to the American public,” McCarthy told anchor Shannon Bream on “Fox News Sunday.”

McCarthy’s remarks came after he and Biden came to an agreement in principle late Saturday to cap spending and raise the debt ceiling.

“What the president did, he went unconstitutionally and said he was going to waive certain people part of their debt for student loan[s], but then he paused everybody’s student loan. So everybody who borrowed a student loan within 60 days of the signing is going to have to pay that back,” McCarthy said on Sunday.

“The Supreme Court is taking up that case. But if the Supreme Court came back and said that was unconstitutional, the president could still say he’s pausing, not waiving it. But now that this is in law, the Supreme Court decision will have to be upheld, that they would have to pay,” he added.

The Biden administration has already indicated that borrowers should expect the student loan payment pause, instituted at the start of the pandemic, would be coming to an end but the timing of that depends on how the Supreme Court might rule in the next month on a case challenging a student loan forgiveness program. Should a pause on payments come to an end under the debt deal, it would mean student loan payments could restart about a month earlier than expected this year.

Biden said in November that payments would resume either 60 days after the Supreme Court rules on his student loan forgiveness plan — which would permanently eliminate some debt — or 60 days after June 30 when the court’s term ends, whichever came first.

Cool cool cool. Let's force people to start paying loans again during sky-high inflation and a huge economic downward turn. This is a great idea to force those people to give money to banks instead of back into the economy. Great job Joe.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At the end of the day we’re talking about a president who secured $4 trillion in new non-defense discretionary spending and then bungled into having to give back about $600 billion of it back. It’s ridiculous to compare it to an actually-fiscally-conservative-administration with a genuine interest in reducing the budget.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FizFashizzle posted:

the military is intensely interested in both green energy for its own purposes, and writing briefs about "uh we already have geopolitical problems from climate crisis adjacent situations and it's only gonna get more common"

Gumball Gumption posted:

Codifying the plan to end the student loan payments pause but leaving room for a future pause in a future emergency is also part of the deal.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4024194-mccarthy-student-loan-payment-pause-gone-under-debt-ceiling-deal/

It's both a nothing burger and also an interesting indicator. The Dems gave up nothing because this was always the plan but also if you think the white house was playing 4d chess around the pause, no they were not. This indicates they're fine with the pause happening since it gives up any methods they might have to bring it back while they get to a decision on forgiveness outside of a new emergency.

Yeah i'd been wondering about that particular inclusion. I think you're right. This might also, in theory, give it a tiny little bit more legal cover next time the federal government needs to use it.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 28, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Codifying the plan to end the student loan payments pause but leaving room for a future pause in a future emergency is also part of the deal.

It's both a nothing burger and also an interesting indicator. The Dems gave up nothing because this was always the plan but also if you think the white house was playing 4d chess around the pause, no they were not. This indicates they're fine with the pause happening since it gives up any methods they might have to bring it back while they get to a decision on forgiveness outside of a new emergency.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Even if you went to the court with a 14th amendment argument, they're not limited to a strict "debt ceiling, Y/N" response.

It's entirely possible you'd get something like "In a 5-4 decision, the Constitution requires repayment of government bonds to be prioritized. The Treasury department must issue those payments. To resolve the statutory conflict between the debt ceiling law and other laws requiring payments, favor the most recently passed law and skip non-debt payments (Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid/...) as necessary until things balance."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Foxfire_ posted:

Even if you went to the court with a 14th amendment argument, they're not limited to a strict "debt ceiling, Y/N" response.

It's entirely possible you'd get something like "In a 5-4 decision, the Constitution requires repayment of government bonds to be prioritized. The Treasury department must issue those payments. To resolve the statutory conflict between the debt ceiling law and other laws requiring payments, favor the most recently passed law and skip non-debt payments (Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid/...) as necessary until things balance."

What part of the Constitution gives the U.S. Supreme Court power to dictate the budget? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that hypothetical ruling seems to me like a violation of the separation of powers clause.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlapYoJacks posted:

Cool cool cool. Let's force people to start paying loans again during sky-high inflation and a huge economic downward turn. This is a great idea to force those people to give money to banks instead of back into the economy. Great job Joe.

The loan pause ending soon isn't actually a new concession - the administration had already committed to ending the pause if the Supreme Court ruled the forgiveness unconstitutional, and the Supreme Court should be ruling on that within a month or two.

It says a lot that McCarthy is trumpeting a total non-concession like this as a win, though. It suggests that he's eager to negotiate a deal, to the point where he's willing to basically make up fake concessions in hopes that the House GOP will see this as a bigger win than it actually is.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

So how much longer are we supposed to keep pretending this administration hasn't largely amounted to the same effect as a second Trump term? Roe v Wade rolled back, social services slashed to the bone, child poverty doubled, kids still in cages, rail unions smashed, defense budget skyrocketing.

drat, Joe Biden is the most effective republican president in my lifetime

There's no real way to know what things would be like if we were in the middle of a 2nd Trump term. Unfortunately we may know soon. But regardless of how much of a disappointment Biden is I can only imagine it would be way worse if Trump was in office right now.

Also what the gently caress could Biden have done about Roe Vs Wade?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

What part of the Constitution gives the U.S. Supreme Court power to dictate the budget? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that hypothetical ruling seems to me like a violation of the separation of powers clause.

Constitutionally, the Supreme Court has no power whatsoever over anything, which seems like a little bit of an oversight so way back when they gave themselves the power to interpret existing law (in this case the 14th Amendment I guess). The idea being that it's Congress's fault for writing ambiguous laws, and if they don't like it they can just change the law to specify what exactly they meant.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And I'm sure the ultra-supreme court will overturn oh wait poo poo

FlapYoJacks posted:

The "brings in $5 billion each month to the American public" quote is amazing in how much of a bold faced lie it is. It's doing the literal opposite of that.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 28, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In the hypothetical, it'd be normal statuary interpretation. Congress passed a law, then later passed an incompatible law without explicitly repealing the first. Resolving that situation is an ordinary thing the courts routinely do.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Stupid question: obviously it's never going to happen politically, but constitutionally is there anything stopping the president from ordering the military to feed the hungry and build homes for the homeless? They do that when there are natural disasters, right?

One question would be where is the money for the houses coming from. Congress appropriates funds to the military, but for specific things like salary and missiles, not so much lumber and feeding people. That's mostly what FEMA does.

The military does help with natural disasters, if they are serious enough and the governor okays it. That's based on the Stafford Act. They don't do a lot of law enforcement, since that's prohibited by Posse Comitatus (national guard units are a bit different).

From reading about this, it looks like a lot of what the military-proper does is help FEMA with transport and logistics during hurricanes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Foxfire_ posted:

In the hypothetical, it'd be normal statuary interpretation. Congress passed a law, then later passed an incompatible law without explicitly repealing the first. Resolving that situation is an ordinary thing the courts routinely do.

I agree that the Supreme Court could rule on which law takes precedence - the law setting the debt ceiling or the law setting the budget. However, I don't believe that the Constitution gives them the power to dictate specifics on the budget themselves like your hypothetical did. And "sure" they could just claim it, but if they overreach too much, eventually people are going to stop obeying them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KillHour posted:

And I'm sure the ultra-supreme court will overturn oh wait poo poo

The "brings in $5 billion each month to the American public" quote is amazing in how much of a bold faced lie it is. It's doing the literal opposite of that.
Yeah, lol, what a stupid way to put it.

It kind of feels like the inverse of how we talk about “the US” owing $x of debt when the majority of that money is owed to American citizens. Hell, probably some the government effectively owes itself.