Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
reliable handheld PS2 and GCN emulation is still pretty cutting edge stuff, sadly. Steamdeck gets the closest but its not practical for on the plane/bus/train pull it out and jam away. That's part of the reason why I like the clamshell designs, the sticks and buttons don't get all mashed up riding around in my magic bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

drrockso20 posted:

So I'm trying to sort out doing Final Burn Neo on my RG353P running JELOS and I have no idea what the hell I'm supposed to be doing, cause near as I can tell it and MAME are a LOT more finicky in terms of what will work with it than what won't, anyone here know what I should be doing?

Any given arcade emulator will only run a romset that has specifically been built for that emulator; usually only a romset that has been built for that version of that emulator. The good news is there are tools to rebuild romsets; the bad news is it's a pretty involved process. You basically want:
  • clrmamepro
  • a .dat file for your exact emulator version
  • instructions
  • some non-merged roms to rebuild; ideally for as close as you can get to the emulator and version you're using as a starting point or it still might not work
Everything legally obtainable should be in the above link, but when you get to the "Rebuild a ROM set" step, open the Scanner first, select "Non-Merged Sets", open Advanced options, and make sure "Separate BIOS sets" is unticked. Then open the Rebuilder and do both those things again. THEN continue with the instructions.

tl;dr: arcade romsets are exclusively for fiddling enthusiasts.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
fwiw i have some random MAME set and most of the games run without any fiddling on an RG351p. it's not perfect but hell i can play Armed Police Batrider so i'm happy

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Can’t wait to play Doom on this.

https://twitter.com/Gizmodo/status/1661778303924174849

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I need one

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Chicken Boi came first.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Any given arcade emulator will only run a romset that has specifically been built for that emulator; usually only a romset that has been built for that version of that emulator. The good news is there are tools to rebuild romsets; the bad news is it's a pretty involved process. You basically want:
  • clrmamepro
  • a .dat file for your exact emulator version
  • instructions
  • some non-merged roms to rebuild; ideally for as close as you can get to the emulator and version you're using as a starting point or it still might not work
Everything legally obtainable should be in the above link, but when you get to the "Rebuild a ROM set" step, open the Scanner first, select "Non-Merged Sets", open Advanced options, and make sure "Separate BIOS sets" is unticked. Then open the Rebuilder and do both those things again. THEN continue with the instructions.

tl;dr: arcade romsets are exclusively for fiddling enthusiasts.

That kind of leads into the big problem I have, I have no idea what version of it that JELOS uses or how to check that sort of thing

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

drrockso20 posted:

That kind of leads into the big problem I have, I have no idea what version of it that JELOS uses or how to check that sort of thing

Is it a RetroArch core? If so you should be able to pull up the RA menu, then look for Information > Core Information in the menus, which will usually include a version number.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

FB Neo doesn't have a million splinters and ancient versions that a cadre of weirdos unaccountably cling to the way MAME does, and its latest official release (1.0.0.2) was two years ago, so I'd just assume the version that comes with JELOS is the latest one and grab any non-merged set for that one (not sure how kosher discussing that stuff is but those are trivially easy to find on Google, though often not quite as complete as you might wish).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So a quick check shows that the version of Final Burn Neo that JELOS has bundled into Retroarch is v1.0.0.03 so I guess I just need to find the ROMS for that specific version now(also I guess I should lock the core so it doesn't get updated automatically)

PleasantDilemma
Dec 5, 2006

The Last Hope for Peace
I am sad, I dropped my RGB10 Max 2 and the screen has gone fuzzy. I enjoyed it's wifi and big screen compared to my RG35XX. I'll keep gaming on the that and go back to using the telescoping controller on my android phone for other games.

An android phone with a controller feels like it should be the ultimate solution. Yet, It drains the battery, notifications interrupt gaming, and it's awkward to take off & put back on the case every time. Plus these devices just feel pretty cool. I think I'll save up for an AYN Odin.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Taki has a Loki. It exists. Unfortunately it exists at a point where everyone's moving on from the 6800U so likely no-one cares.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Got it? He designed it!

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

How many people ITT use phones with controllers/grips? I'm just going to use a PS4 controller and my old pixel 4xl for now and keep an eye out for something that's pocketable for outside the apartment when better chips start trickling down.

Even phone grips are bigger and clunkier than having a retroid pocket in terms of backpack space

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

forest spirit posted:

How many people ITT use phones with controllers/grips? I'm just going to use a PS4 controller and my old pixel 4xl for now and keep an eye out for something that's pocketable for outside the apartment when better chips start trickling down.

Even phone grips are bigger and clunkier than having a retroid pocket in terms of backpack space

The only one I hear people pleased about is the Backbone One. It's small enough when not in use, to feels close enough to first party quality and it doesn't make it stupidly large when in use. The Razor one has the mushiest buttons ever made on it and all the others feel cheap and are huge.

I still think carrying a phone grip is a better option than a Pocket for most people. Unless they can get the price under $150 with something at least the quality of the Pocket 3 that can play GC/PS2 at full speed with decent battery life, most are just going to use what they have in their pocket already. The 50ish buck stand alone devices I think still will have a market though.

When Apple allows side loading later this year I think emulators for the iPhone is going to take off as will the options for phone controls. The Xbox Series controller is probably going to be the best option due to its lack of internal battery compared to Sony but a PS4/5 or Xbox controllers will likely be what most people use.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

forest spirit posted:

This is true. I got one of those (well , I ordered 4 because they were $3 each) phone mounts for an xbox one/series controller. It works nice, but yeah in terms of pocketable size the flatness of most portable consoles alone makes them a far better choice in 99% of applications.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah I'm not even taking it out of the house, it's just ergonomically nicer having the screen higher than the hands when you're sitting back and the 855 is just a really good chip

PS4 controller grip - not packable

Expanding phone controller grips like Kishi - requires taking extra phone, the grips are chunky

something like a retroid pocket - can slip in pretty easily, would probably be worried about the thumbsticks

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Kind of a specific question, but do any of these handhelds which run Android have light sensors which work with My Boy Advance? Seems like a nice way to finally play through the Boktais, if so

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Pretty sure there are patched copies of the Boktai games which remove the need for the light sensor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Powkiddy copying Retroid’s homework.
https://twitter.com/retrohandhelds/status/1662873793310896129

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Boggles my mind why Retroid would go with the clamshell without the second screen. Granted, it’d be more challenging technologically but it’d be a loving slam dunk.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

My partner wants to play through several of the 3D Zelda games, for sure through GameCube /Wind Waker but possibly Twilight Princess as well. What’s our best bet? I have a Retroid Pocket 2+ but I’ve never tried anything newer than PS1 on it. I’ve read the 3+ is pretty good for cube games but not sure about Wii.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Steam Deck can run the Wii U versions of Twilight and Wind Waker, else the 3+ should be able to do the Gamecube versions.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Walla posted:

Pretty sure there are patched copies of the Boktai games which remove the need for the light sensor.

I know, I'm trying to play the games with a light sensor

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

njsykora posted:

The Steam Deck can run the Wii U versions of Twilight and Wind Waker, else the 3+ should be able to do the Gamecube versions.

Do these versions play in widescreen?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The HD remasters do, yes.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mokotow posted:

Boggles my mind why Retroid would go with the clamshell without the second screen. Granted, it’d be more challenging technologically but it’d be a loving slam dunk.

Android ds emulation is pretty good but 3ds emulation still has a long ways to go.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Two weeks with the flip and I still think it's cool but I'm back to using my analogue pocket and 353M most of the time. I prefer how the 353M feels in the hand and games feel a bit more responsive on the pocket so I mainly just use the flip for Dreamcast, Saturn, and PSP. Was kinda hoping for an end all champion of a device that would make me want to sell the others but it's not quite there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rolo posted:

Do these versions play in widescreen?

Yes and Wii U games are pretty easy to mod so if you want to play Wind Waker as Linkle (which I do) that’s a thing you can do with those versions. The only issue I had playing through Twilight Princess HD was that numbers didn’t appear. This isn’t an issue outside the handful of times you need to enter numbers in shops, but that’s still doable.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GoodApollo posted:

My partner wants to play through several of the 3D Zelda games, for sure through GameCube /Wind Waker but possibly Twilight Princess as well. What’s our best bet? I have a Retroid Pocket 2+ but I’ve never tried anything newer than PS1 on it. I’ve read the 3+ is pretty good for cube games but not sure about Wii.
Honestly, a Wii U.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I’m probably gonna end up making a thread on the SA Mart, but does anyone know of a place to buy a premade Circuit Gem/VMUboy?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

bowmore posted:

Honestly, a Wii U.

This. It's trivial to get GameCube games playing on the tablet, and the HD remasters are pretty good. I only ever got 1 Wii game to work on the tablet, but it was the most important one for me.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

:hmmyes: Imagine™ Party Babyz®

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Walla posted:

This. It's trivial to get GameCube games playing on the tablet, and the HD remasters are pretty good. I only ever got 1 Wii game to work on the tablet, but it was the most important one for me.

It's not even just the GameCube. The U had VC for basically every Nintendo era including the DS, so all Zelda games are available (except for the 3DS one).

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Saoshyant posted:

It's not even just the GameCube. The U had VC for basically every Nintendo era including the DS, so all Zelda games are available (except for the 3DS one).

and it has Breath of the Wild natively.
I have a spare one up for grabs in the Game Swap thread.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

LODGE NORTH posted:

I’m probably gonna end up making a thread on the SA Mart, but does anyone know of a place to buy a premade Circuit Gem/VMUboy?

Are you looking for one specifically for the nostalgia factor of the vmu, or just to have a tiny retro handheld?

Because Anbernic has this coming out soon that's going to be smaller, more powerful, and a lot cheaper

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Anbernic-RG-Nano-Official-details-revealed-for-new-gaming-handheld.720465.0.html

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I want to get a RG nano on a mini lanyard, and hang it off my Steam Deck.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

stephenthinkpad posted:

I want to get a RG nano on a mini lanyard, and hang it off my Steam Deck.

There's gaming on my gaming, how about that?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Like a dinghy hanging off a yacht, I get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trufflefoo
Oct 29, 2006
I feeling quite nostalgic for my old gameboy. I seem to have lost it in the house moves over the years.
What’s the best of the retro consoles, in the vertical/GB form factor?
Mini Plus?