Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Insane that those kids are college age. Wasn't I just in college like a couple years ago? What happened, how did this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

Insane that those kids are college age. Wasn't I just in college like a couple years ago? What happened, how did this happen

Strap in bro it only gets worse and worse

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I went to a college that had some rooms with cathedral ceilings and there was one group of guys who set up a triple decker bunk bed. It looked terrifying.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

triple decker bunk bed. It looked terrifying.

Well that’s just the camp I went to back in the 80s

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Presumably your summer camp beds were actually designed and built that way though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lol no, at best they were designed and executed by previous generations of camp staff. These were beds built as a step in building the uninsulated, amenity-free wood panel cabin itself.

If you’re the sort that thinks those people are qualified to engineer anything, I have one word for you: zipline

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We bought a triple bunk off Wayfair or similar. Bottom bunk is essentially a mattress sitting two inches off the floor. It was a great space solution for having three kids close to the same age, it's like they're in a little barracks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bad Munki posted:

Lol no, at best they were designed and executed by previous generations of camp staff. These were beds built as a step in building the uninsulated, amenity-free wood panel cabin itself.

If you’re the sort that thinks those people are qualified to engineer anything, I have one word for you: zipline

I wouldn’t even believe the zipline story if not for the photos.

Like, they put the zipline on a natural slop that is too steep and it’s unusable: sure.

Sinking a bunch of telephone poles into the ground and making a launch platform that overshoots the safe slope by a factor of nineteen, now that’s special.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Platystemon posted:

I wouldn’t even believe the zipline story if not for the photos.

Like, they put the zipline on a natural slop that is too steep and it’s unusable: sure.

Sinking a bunch of telephone poles into the ground and making a launch platform that overshoots the safe slope by a factor of nineteen, now that’s special.

It's just an order of magnitude, Michael.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Somebody decided to build the cheapest Sims house possible and autogenerated the roof.

Analog_Kid
Jan 26, 2011

the spirit of the radio

Beardcrumb posted:

Somebody decided to build the cheapest Sims house possible and autogenerated the roof.

Everyone needs a place to store their grain.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Beardcrumb posted:

I don’t get it. Everyone complains when the roof has a dozen different ridges and all kinds of peaks and valleys and is a huge visual mess. Now someone designs a nice clean 4 sided roof, and they still get complaints. There is just no winning.

Look, it even has the same size (and number) windows on all the visible sides.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Beardcrumb posted:

A mathematically perfect building.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Beardcrumb posted:

The symmetrical completist in me is deeply satisfied by this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Needs a door on all sides.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Beardcrumb posted:

It may just be an optical illusion, but it kind of looks like the house is starting to tip over, like one corner is notably lower than the rest.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

It may just be an optical illusion, but it kind of looks like the house is starting to tip over, like one corner is notably lower than the rest.

The horizon has also tipped over in the same direction! :ohdear:

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Nenonen posted:

The horizon has also tipped over in the same direction! :ohdear:

Construction so crappy it tilts the flat Earth

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I have no idea if this is a good thread to ask this or not... please point me in a better direction if it's not on-topic. It's more of the "preventing crappy construction" vibe.

My partner has a hanging hammock chair she wants me to hang on our porch. The ceiling of the porch is plywood with joists/studs? going through it under the plywood. I think I can find the joists/studs.
I went to Home Depot and bought a Everbilt Screw Eye that's 5/16in and has a "250lb working load limit". Partner and chair together are going to be under 135lb.

1. The plan is to find stud/joist
  2. drill a pilot hole
  3. screw this eye into the hole
  4. loop some (seriously large) rope through the eye
  5. loop same rope through the "loop" at the top chair
  6. tie the rope together at a desirable height
  7. profit

Ok, my questions:
1) is this a plainly stupid idea in a way I'm not seeing?
2) what size pilot hole should I drill for a 5/16 "screw eye"?

The chair should only be about a foot or 2 feet off the ground at most. We also already plan to put a pillow below it, at least for a while to break any fall :).

I know enough from this thread to not saw sections out of the joists for my bathtub, but I'm unclear whether drilling into them is bad too. Oh and above the porch ceiling is roof, not another floor/room if that matters.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

namlosh posted:

I went to Home Depot and bought a Everbilt Screw Eye that's 5/16in and has a "250lb working load limit". Partner and chair together are going to be under 135lb
Your partner and chair together are gonna be well over 135 lbs when they start moving. To be honest though, there are probably thousands of swinging benches hung with the exact same hardware all over the country, and this will probably be ok, but strictly speaking, you're well over that stated working load limit, but also that load limit has likely been under-stated.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Slugworth posted:

Your partner and chair together are gonna be well over 135 lbs when they start moving. To be honest though, there are probably thousands of swinging benches hung with the exact same hardware all over the country, and this will probably be ok, but strictly speaking, you're well over that stated working load limit, but also that load limit has likely been under-stated.

This is a really great point... it's not a "swing" like a porch swing, but it does hang and she'll obviously be swinging some back and forth and side to side. That's the point of the chair after all, lol.
This was the "screw eye" I found with the largest weight rating they had in stock at my HD that I could find.

any idea what size pilot hole I should drill for 5/16" wood screw?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If your partner is swinging you could end up loading the joist in directions it isn't intended to be loaded. The plywood will help there, assuming it is fastened to the joists in a bunch of spots.

Also if she likes to plop in chairs that's a big dynamic load. You can get hanging hardware sets that include a spring to mitigate that.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I wouldn't drill one any bigger than 3/16" for the pilot.

Also make sure you can find the centre of the joist/stud.

I'm not an engineer, but I'd be more worried about tearing the screw out of the wood than it's tensile strength.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Are you only mounting this on one screw or am I misreading the post?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I used to have a hanging chair that used something very much like this. The chair had been suspended from a simple ceiling eyebolt, which worked great. Then I moved, and I re-screwed that eyebolt into the ceiling at the new place. I wasn't 100% certain that it would hold, and so for the first test sit, I piled the couch pillows underneath it. Sure enough, the bolt popped right out after only a few seconds (I figured out later I hadn't gotten it quite centered on the ceiling joist) and the pillows worked great and saved me from bumping my butt.

However, remember the spring? (In this case, the chair was attached to the spring, which in turn was attached to the chain to the ceiling.) When I sat down, that spring was placed under almost 200 pounds of tension, and when the eyebolt popped out of the ceiling, that stretched spring suddenly found itself floating weightless with nothing pulling on its ends. And so at this point some simple physics happened rather quickly, and before I had even hit the ground, the chain and eyebolt had been propelled downward with astonishing force directly into my upturned face.

And that's the origin story of my chipped tooth.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

If your partner is swinging you could end up loading the joist in directions it isn't intended to be loaded. The plywood will help there, assuming it is fastened to the joists in a bunch of spots.

Also if she likes to plop in chairs that's a big dynamic load. You can get hanging hardware sets that include a spring to mitigate that.

I'm going to use some rope... which should provide some bounciness. the rope is rated for an ungodly amount and it's as thick as my thumb.

wesleywillis posted:

I wouldn't drill one any bigger than 3/16" for the pilot.

Also make sure you can find the centre of the joist/stud.

I'm not an engineer, but I'd be more worried about tearing the screw out of the wood than it's tensile strength.

yeah, I'm worried about that too... normally I'd just drill whatever pilot hole felt right, but I wanted to get this right since it's a single point of failure.

PurpleXVI posted:

Are you only mounting this on one screw or am I misreading the post?

That is correct, one screw. If you guys say its an absolutely stupid idea, then I'll reconsider... but that was the plan.

Powered Descent posted:

I used to have a hanging chair that used something very much like this. The chair had been suspended from a simple ceiling eyebolt, which worked great. Then I moved, and I re-screwed that eyebolt into the ceiling at the new place. I wasn't 100% certain that it would hold, and so for the first test sit, I piled the couch pillows underneath it. Sure enough, the bolt popped right out after only a few seconds (I figured out later I hadn't gotten it quite centered on the ceiling joist) and the pillows worked great and saved me from bumping my butt.

However, remember the spring? (In this case, the chair was attached to the spring, which in turn was attached to the chain to the ceiling.) When I sat down, that spring was placed under almost 200 pounds of tension, and when the eyebolt popped out of the ceiling, that stretched spring suddenly found itself floating weightless with nothing pulling on its ends. And so at this point some simple physics happened rather quickly, and before I had even hit the ground, the chain and eyebolt had been propelled downward with astonishing force directly into my upturned face.

oh dang... sorry that happened...

We're both prepared for this to not work, but want to mitigate injury as much as possible obviously. I had considered getting chain and a clevis(?) to go through the screw eye, but I have this rope that should work a treat and not cause the issue above if/when it comes down.

So my plan is not the dumbest idea, but also not the smartest... I think I can live with that. if anyone has any other recommends I'd appreciate it, and thanks so much for the responses.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This related video was just posted in the schadenfreude thread

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rvdnrfvkQe1uk10e9.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

If your partner is swinging

I thought that it's only called that when you both are involved?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

namlosh posted:

I'm going to use some rope... which should provide some bounciness. the rope is rated for an ungodly amount and it's as thick as my thumb.

yeah, I'm worried about that too... normally I'd just drill whatever pilot hole felt right, but I wanted to get this right since it's a single point of failure.

That is correct, one screw. If you guys say its an absolutely stupid idea, then I'll reconsider... but that was the plan.

We're both prepared for this to not work, but want to mitigate injury as much as possible obviously. I had considered getting chain and a clevis(?) to go through the screw eye, but I have this rope that should work a treat and not cause the issue above if/when it comes down.

So my plan is not the dumbest idea, but also not the smartest... I think I can live with that. if anyone has any other recommends I'd appreciate it, and thanks so much for the responses.

The pitfalls I'd be concerned about are screwing into a knot or split in the joist/stud, landing the fastener close to the edge of the stud, or the screw randomly pulling out. For the size fastener you need and the load it will create, I personally wouldn't be comfortable screwing that into a 2 inch wide stud.

But I'm a nervous nelly so ymmv. If it were me and this was my chosen solution, I'd make sure I was screwing into the center of a 4 x 4, and I'd drill a small pilot hole with a guide block to make sure it was square to the face. I'd also want some way of knowing that the wood is in sound condition.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
One important detail that got overlooked, do you own the place? If it's a rental, absolutely do not drill any joyces whatsoever without consulting your landlord.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

namlosh posted:

For what it's worth, we have a two story screened in porch with slotted board flooring for the second floor. I put in (what I think is what you're talking about) a rope/seat/swingy thing on the first floor by looping the nylon webbed strap up one side the joist, over the upper flooring board, and then down the other side of the joist to create a loop. I'm fairly certain that will hold well, but my only concern is potential traffic running over the strap on the second floor. But actually, it's just me and my wife that use it, so I'll just have to inspect it to make sure it isn't getting worn by foot traffic.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 28, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fastening it in multiple places would add some stability and also spread the load some. I'd always do that if it was an option.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Nitrox posted:

If it's a rental, absolutely do not drill any joyces whatsoever without consulting your landlord.
If your landlady is Joyce, go right ahead.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Powered Descent posted:

Username/post combo

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beardcrumb posted:

drat, big trussy

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Jenkl posted:

A mathematically perfect building.

Only if the base of it is a triangle.
(could well be from this angle!)

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Beardcrumb posted:

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Is this one of those fake substation houses?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captain Toasted posted:

Is this one of those fake substation houses?

A home for the blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"Where we're living, we won't need eyes to see"