Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

gandlethorpe posted:

I enjoy Jimbo, but her wins have been pretty suspicious

Same.

And the Janing(Rajaing?) of Heidi and the edits surrounding her are starting to get a little...heavy handed. It all feels a bit off?

If Alexis Michelle makes it to the top on the back off all this nonsense...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Gollom posted:

Same.

And the Janing(Rajaing?) of Heidi and the edits surrounding her are starting to get a little...heavy handed. It all feels a bit off?

If Alexis Michelle makes it to the top on the back off all this nonsense...

I hate this and so, apparently, does Heidi. It brings up the same complaint I have about most reality TV. It's too produced!

You have some shows like Face Off and Top Chef that let the challenges and people themselves organically gently caress up to provide good TV.

You have some shows like SYTYCD, Project Runway, and Great British Bake-Off that balance timing of challenges to eliminate specific people who aren't popular enough.

And then you have Drag Race, that practically has elimination order set after the initial interviews and checking of wardrobe for the season. Which sucks because these are drag Queens: they'll be entertaining and provide enough drama and competition without producers setting them up for failure in challenges and, if all else fails, setting them up as ignored/safe at best, giving bullshit judging results at worst.

Heidi deserves to win. And her talking heads prove she gives good drama and sound bite. To basically give praise to Kandy Muse for playing a character close to her drag personality and with ill-fitting runway to boot over Heidi is weak tea indeed. Plus, keeping Alexis because she knows when to give the camera viral moments over Darien e, who legit did better in her performance and look? Ugh. I hate this.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Darienne made it to top four of one of the best classic seasons, and she did well in reading and comedy. I'm mad that she didn't get a chance to showcase any of that, and sad that we will never see MKD do Snatch Game now. Kandy is being babied, but what else is new?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The fame games is cool and all but those looks didn’t do much for me.

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious
Unrelated to everything else, but what was up with Michelle this episode?

She seemed very pearl clutchy about everything even slightly raunchy the groups did in a way she's not been before. And then it didn't matter because it was all edited out of the finished trailer and wasn't brought up on the runway that I recall? I really thought Jimbo's group was going to be safe, with their antics during filming being the deciding factor.

Just a really weird little side segment from the episode.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Gollom posted:

Unrelated to everything else, but what was up with Michelle this episode?

She seemed very pearl clutchy about everything even slightly raunchy the groups did in a way she's not been before. And then it didn't matter because it was all edited out of the finished trailer and wasn't brought up on the runway that I recall? I really thought Jimbo's group was going to be safe, with their antics during filming being the deciding factor.

Just a really weird little side segment from the episode.

The judges are always really weird about that kind of stuff. They gave I think Rock M Sakura a lot of flack for doing a fart joke, and then a few seasons later did an entire challenge based on fart jokes.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
But it makes even less sense because they were the favored group, whereas they were just finding some reason to make it look like Rock didn't slay that challenge

Also the whole 'we can't show <thing we just showed> on TV!!'

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Mistress brought that up in Pit Stop and said Michelle was in her Christian Mom era which made me lol

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
With all the other poo poo Michelle is into, i would not be entirely surprised to hear she was dropping out of drag race because they're groomers or whatever

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pan Dulce posted:

I hate this and so, apparently, does Heidi. It brings up the same complaint I have about most reality TV. It's too produced!

You have some shows like Face Off and Top Chef that let the challenges and people themselves organically gently caress up to provide good TV.

You have some shows like SYTYCD, Project Runway, and Great British Bake-Off that balance timing of challenges to eliminate specific people who aren't popular enough.

And then you have Drag Race, that practically has elimination order set after the initial interviews and checking of wardrobe for the season. Which sucks because these are drag Queens: they'll be entertaining and provide enough drama and competition without producers setting them up for failure in challenges and, if all else fails, setting them up as ignored/safe at best, giving bullshit judging results at worst.

Heidi deserves to win. And her talking heads prove she gives good drama and sound bite. To basically give praise to Kandy Muse for playing a character close to her drag personality and with ill-fitting runway to boot over Heidi is weak tea indeed. Plus, keeping Alexis because she knows when to give the camera viral moments over Darien e, who legit did better in her performance and look? Ugh. I hate this.

Yeah I really wonder if this is going to lead to less queens accepting an invite to come back to All Stars if they know they're gonna put out the best work they've ever done and get ignored by production. I guess if you're just angling to be on TV for exposure it's fine but if you're trying to actually compete? Forget about it.

I just marathoned the latest season of Survivor and it makes All Stars look like a joke!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

big black turnout posted:

With all the other poo poo Michelle is into, i would not be entirely surprised to hear she was dropping out of drag race because they're groomers or whatever

wait whats this about?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Nothing in particular, just she's into a lot of the new age woo conspiracy theory stuff afaik, and that space is incredibly being turned into a funnel for the far right

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

ah yeah. every now and then i decide to see what santino is upto and its always the most insane scamdemic poo poo im amazed he hasnt started a cult yet

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I thought maybe one of the producers off camera was worried about standards and practices. I know it's on MTV but I'm also aware of what country this is in.

If it was violence, no problem

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

It may also be that production is able to clear the bits they come up with beforehand, while queen created stuff would have to be asked about afterwards. They may just be trying to make sure they have enough filmed content they can air even if ultimately the stuff they’re nervous about still makes it to the final edit.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

I know not a lot of people watch it, but if you can, PLEASE watch Drag Race España! So much good poo poo and payoff happened this last episode.

Drag Race España Spoilers: Holy poo poo, Visa is AMAZING. I totally don't believe she didn't come back to the show and derail Pitita just to get her out of there. Her confessionals were freaking hilarious. I was gunning for her and Pitita to win so Pitita would have to eat the sour lemon that was winning, yet letting Visa back in, but obviously, they sucked beyond the telling of it. I agreed with the tops, but really didn't want boring-rear end Kelly Roller back. I loved Clover Bish's stand-up and improvisation and hoped she would win (she totally would have picked Visa to come back).

But no. It was not to be. I really do believe producer-shenanigans kept Clover Bish from winning to keep Kelly Roller, a queen who I bet will be leaving next episode, if not the following one.

Still, to end the episode on the Three P's lipsycing? They were REALLY good drag queens, 3 out of my top four, and two have now left. EPIC (even if they all couldn't lipsync their way out of a paper bag.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 29, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Flyinglemur posted:

I thought maybe one of the producers off camera was worried about standards and practices. I know it's on MTV but I'm also aware of what country this is in.

If it was violence, no problem

They blurred butt cracks but Jimbo's nipples on her giant fake boobs are ok tho

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Pan Dulce posted:

I know not a lot of people watch it, but if you can, PLEASE watch Drag Race España! So much good poo poo and payoff happened this last episode.

Agreed! All seasons of España have been great, and this last episode only cements that.

I was also hoping that Clover would have won. She really deserved it this week, both her solo performance and her look were absolutely great. Also it would have been hilarious to have her pick Visa to stay (She totally would! They were good friends!) which would have been such a good source of drama with Pitita.
Don't really understand Kelly Roller much, and yeah she'll probably go home soon. Was happy to see Vania Vainilla win for once though, she's also one of my faves.
Really sad to see Pakita go, her looks were always amazing, and she was surprisingly funny.
Not that sad to see Pink Chadora go, I don't think I really ever got her humor. Maybe it's the language barrier? She always just came off as angry to me. Her looks were usually meh as well.
Was really pleased to see Pitita lipsync so well after having boasted about it earlier. I really like her, she's funny and her looks are stellar. I could see her as a potential winner now.

Drag Race España is good!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

czg posted:

Agreed! All seasons of España have been great, and this last episode only cements that.

Drag Race España is good!

Did you catch, in Drag Race España, the Javis looks at the end? They were SO upset Pink Chadora left, they were gunning for her win since the beginning. They couldn't even muster up the ability to look enthused and NOT like they swallowed a lemon when Supreme was giving the sign-off.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i havent seen much of s3 so im not reading spoilers but the javis and ana are wonderful and half of the joy of the show for me

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Pan Dulce posted:

Did you catch, in Drag Race España, the Javis looks at the end? They were SO upset Pink Chadora left, they were gunning for her win since the beginning. They couldn't even muster up the ability to look enthused and NOT like they swallowed a lemon when Supreme was giving the sign-off.
Haha yeah there was a shot of one of them just rubbing his temples and doing a thousand yard stare. Love them both tho. And Ana. And Supremme.
Was it in the second or third episode where Supremme was like "queens, have you ever seen me be upset with my girls on this show? Ever seen me be anything but loving and caring? No? Well you're gonna see it now..." and then proceeded to cuss them all out for having unfinished hems and ill-fitting pantyhose. So great!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Lotsa WoW criticism going on right now

https://twitter.com/OddlyYvie/status/1663327919760965633?s=19

https://twitter.com/OddlyYvie/status/1663330297386090498?s=19

https://twitter.com/OddlyYvie/status/1663331470474133505?s=19

E: I remember this thread making fun of my take that WoW is trying to push trans contestants because it's lucrative...

https://twitter.com/OddlyYvie/status/1663333838435540992?s=19

Also they hosed around with Willam at DragCon like it was petty high school poo poo. She paid the 3k to have a booth, didn't give her both electricity until 1 hour after the Con already started (can't set anything up, not even lighting) and apparently randomly cut her WiFi so she couldn't process payments. She participated in the Queen Walk with all the other queens in attendance but they cut her and only her out of the official video of it.

Eej fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 30, 2023

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

czg posted:

Haha yeah there was a shot of one of them just rubbing his temples and doing a thousand yard stare. Love them both tho. And Ana. And Supremme.
Was it in the second or third episode where Supremme was like "queens, have you ever seen me be upset with my girls on this show? Ever seen me be anything but loving and caring? No? Well you're gonna see it now..." and then proceeded to cuss them all out for having unfinished hems and ill-fitting pantyhose. So great!

I think it was episode 2, although a quick Google search gives me no results. That was another iconic moment. Felt right too and not in the way Ru yelled at the queens sometimes. It honestly comes across that Supremme generally gives a poo poo as to how they're presented and want the very best. Those mistakes were all easily remedied with a little more care and I loved it more than Ru complaining the outfits were too cheap; that can't be fixed during the competition anymore.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Nihonniboku posted:

The judges are always really weird about that kind of stuff. They gave I think Rock M Sakura a lot of flack for doing a fart joke, and then a few seasons later did an entire challenge based on fart jokes.

This is absolutely, 1000% an on-set S&P employee on set going apeshit over everything, followed by post S&P saying it's fine.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I watched Drag Me To Dinner on Hulu and it was - okay. It had some good funny moments. If it gets a second season I hope it will be a little more fleshed out. Although I don't know why it needs 11 executive producers and 3 co-executive producers.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Is there a legit way to watch that outside of the US? I would have thought it would pop up on Crave but nada.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I watched Drag Me To Dinner on Hulu and it was - okay. It had some good funny moments. If it gets a second season I hope it will be a little more fleshed out. Although I don't know why it needs 11 executive producers and 3 co-executive producers.

The episode with Willam and Alaska was amazing.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
That was my favorite one, and the one I remember the best. That's the sucky thing about binge watching, things blend together in my mind.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Jimbo's Adam/Eve runway is one of the most unhinged things I've ever seen on this show.

Also, they're really gonna crown a queen who can't lip sync to save their life, eh?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I completely forgot about this and am giggling like a madwoman:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I want to see Chessdemon Jimbo standing next to Ginny Lemon.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I could tell Heidi was not feeling this season at all so I'm not surprised what happened here but it still sucks every time someone quits

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

i was genuinely a little disappointed in how not deranged jimbo has been so far this season but between the snatch game character and the runway i am satisfied

Gollom
Mar 5, 2007
I pawned the precious

curiousTerminal posted:

I could tell Heidi was not feeling this season at all so I'm not surprised what happened here but it still sucks every time someone quits

The fact that we didn't see a dramatic Ru/Michelle/The Hilarious Ross Mathews attempt to convince her to stay and she withdrew from the fame game makes me worry she was in a REALLY bad place. Hope she's doing better. The stuff with Kahanna and Kandy and Alexis had...no one walking away looking good.

I still dislike the Snatch Game of Love format. They tried to switch the formula up, I'm glad they tried. They should stop now.

Ru was dying over Bea Arthur but I didn't really get it. It wasn't really Bea, it was Dorothy but she did that well enough I suppose. The voice just being entirely Alexis was a little off putting, though. I just really really don't like Alexis though, so probably just my bias. I thought Jennifer Coolidge was great and her runway was fine shut up Michelle. Jimbo winning was...whatever, fine. Ru loves her.

Remember in season 4(?) when the judges and especially Michelle complained about how tacky latex breastplates look? And then Yara Sophia wins a talent show by shrieking and bouncing her fake titties and here we are.

Lipsync was disappointing too, I thought. Jasmine? To Dua Lipa?! This is going to be so good!

Then it happened. And no one knew the words. And there was that weird Katy Perry moment.

Wild.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Snatch Game was okay. The problem with contestants like Jessica doing lesser known personalities is that when the audience and even the rest of the queens don't know who you're portraying, you have to make the extra effort to make the jokes. Here, she was relying on this celebrity's catchphrases, but since nobody knew who she was, the jokes weren't coming across.

On the other hand, Kandy and Lala also did lesser known celebrities, but at least were able to roll with the punches and make jokes in that character without relying on the audience knowing them.

And as for Alexis Michelle, I'm an elder gay millennial, so of course I love Bea Arthur, but I didn't get it at all. Obviously Ru was cackling at everything she said, but it left me perplexed, so I wasn't surprised she was in the top, but the only people who were able to make everybody, contestants and judges, consistently laugh were Jimbo and James.

Anyway, is anybody else not feeling what Lala is bringing this season? She has a good personality, but I don't think she has brought any good looks, and I don't recall her doing exceptionally well in any challenge.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Jimbo is demented.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

Anyway, is anybody else not feeling what Lala is bringing this season? She has a good personality, but I don't think she has brought any good looks, and I don't recall her doing exceptionally well in any challenge.

Yeah, I have nothing against Lala’s drag, but it feels like she lacks a clear talent or archetype she excels at to the same degree that say Jaymes does housewife drag, or Jimbo does anything except lipsyncing.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

A lot of Alexis’s lines were straight Golden Girls quotes, which I only know because my wife (a Golden Girls superfan) knew the punchline before it would happen each time. As someone who has seen the show but isn’t obsessed, they didn’t land as well for me.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

its pretty well established that when a queen does a celebrity known primarily for one iconic fictional character they are doing that character specifically so i thought alexis' snatch game was good but even as a die hard gg fan i still didnt think it was as gut busting as ru seemed to think it was. i dont really vibe with alexis as a queen but ill still give her props for her snatch games. i thought her liza was the best of an average bunch but ill grudgingly admit shes pretty good at snatch game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

George Peppard's Pool House killed me.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Jimbo is demented.

:yeah: and I love it.