Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Boudicca gets something similar at times, and our vet said essentially it's like cracked heels in humans. We just clean it with some F10 or Biotane and if it's a big chunk like Katie's, wrap it up when we go for walks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It seems much better today; the skin underneath is now black like the outside of the pad instead of purple. I’m staying home with her today to make sure she doesn’t somehow injure it worse and so I can put a bootie on it when we go out.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

going to be 2000 dollars for piper to get the lump on her leg removed + dental work done, not terrible honestly

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

this is one of the new Aussie dogs, Pete. I've never seen a greyhound do what he does in this video before

https://i.imgur.com/HDL6bl3.mp4

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It’s like an inverse of Siru’s weird excited bouncing

https://youtu.be/pQ1jruyjZQU

By the way, I’ve been meaning to ask about this… I think Siru is in Korea so there’s like a 99% chance she’s from a show dog line. She seems super lanky and lean compared to Katie (you can really tell in the videos where she’s not wearing a coat). My understanding is that racers are on average smaller than the show dogs and, I would assume, more muscular. Has anybody seen a non-racing greyhound? Do they actually look noticeably different or is Siru just a spinky girl?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

david_a posted:

It’s like an inverse of Siru’s weird excited bouncing

https://youtu.be/pQ1jruyjZQU

By the way, I’ve been meaning to ask about this… I think Siru is in Korea so there’s like a 99% chance she’s from a show dog line. She seems super lanky and lean compared to Katie (you can really tell in the videos where she’s not wearing a coat). My understanding is that racers are on average smaller than the show dogs and, I would assume, more muscular. Has anybody seen a non-racing greyhound? Do they actually look noticeably different or is Siru just a spinky girl?

it's possible given the small size of the thigh muscles in another video (can't tell in that one with the coat on) but not sure

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

actionjackson posted:

this is one of the new Aussie dogs, Pete. I've never seen a greyhound do what he does in this video before

https://i.imgur.com/HDL6bl3.mp4

I’ve seen some greys do this before, pretty cute.

Hazel jumped up on me the other day in excitement and got me right in the nuts. Painful for me, funny for my partner.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What a majestic creature

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
They're so noble

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Greyhound sleeping pose roulette:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Piper faking being an amputee in order to beg for more food

Like she didn't snag an entire slice of pizza not 30 minutes before this

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, Opal has been sitting more and more, over the last few months or so. Sitting when cleaning out her bowl (as below - not when eating 95% of the meal though, as she's too excited for that!), sitting by the bed waiting for me to give her permission to hop up, sitting when waiting for Tazo to poop before continuing on our walks, etc.

She's so lazy she's gotten to the point where she's now flagrantly defying the stereotype that greyhounds never sit! :v:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Major Isoor posted:

drat, Opal has been sitting more and more, over the last few months or so. Sitting when cleaning out her bowl (as below - not when eating 95% of the meal though, as she's too excited for that!), sitting by the bed waiting for me to give her permission to hop up, sitting when waiting for Tazo to poop before continuing on our walks, etc.

She's so lazy she's gotten to the point where she's now flagrantly defying the stereotype that greyhounds never sit! :v:

I love this! Hazel never really sits either.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Very cute!

Ella didn't sit as much in the beginning but now she sits both when she wants something from us but also on her own. Like I had her running free in the garden, look out the window and she was sitting and just looking at everything.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

Very cute!

Ella didn't sit as much in the beginning but now she sits both when she wants something from us but also on her own. Like I had her running free in the garden, look out the window and she was sitting and just looking at everything.

Hah! Aww, that's cute :3: The funniest thing I find is that when Opal wants to go on the bed, she sits beside it and has her head down, so it kinda looks like a kid praying before bed, or something :D (Presumably if that's what's happening, she's praying that I'll let her onto the bed ASAP, so she doesn't have to waste more time sitting!)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
That looks extremely uncomfortable and unnatural. Her butt is floating off the ground?

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Self-inflicted discomfort is very much a greyhound specialty.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bamhand posted:

That looks extremely uncomfortable and unnatural.
thread title

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Current location: Conesville, USA
Population: a very shameful Roo

Rory hosed up her foot somehow so we just got back from urgent care. Rads confirmed no fractures, pathological or otherwise (whew) but her toe is so swollen that they can’t really determine much else. She probably either got bit by something or stabbed herself on a stick so we’ll see what happens with epsom salt baths and meds.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

bamhand posted:

That looks extremely uncomfortable and unnatural. Her butt is floating off the ground?

Super early pick of Katie (geez she’s swole) but yeah, that’s how greyhounds “sit” and why most of them won’t do it naturally

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bamhand posted:

haha yeah, the way greys sit remind me of kangaroos :D The floaty-butt style is how they always seem to sit, from what I've seen. I don't know how it's comfy, but unless Opal's roaching on the couch, she's probably sitting - so it's gotta be something they're comfy with (or get used to) for her to bother doing. (Since I mean, I thought Tazo was lazy until the queen of naps Opal came into the picture! :v: )

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

pastor of muppets posted:

Current location: Conesville, USA
Population: a very shameful Roo

Rory hosed up her foot somehow so we just got back from urgent care. Rads confirmed no fractures, pathological or otherwise (whew) but her toe is so swollen that they can’t really determine much else. She probably either got bit by something or stabbed herself on a stick so we’ll see what happens with epsom salt baths and meds.

This is just totally a sighthound thing

RANDOMLY BLOOD IN MY HOUSE, why? dog got a deep puncture between her toes? how.. no idea since she acts like absolutely nothing went on at any point and there is no blood at all.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Oh yeah this is definitely not her first trip to Conesville. The weird thing is, she really wasn’t bleeding or anything, and the wound is so small and tucked away that it really wasn’t apparent at first. I did have her boarded this weekend while we were out of town, but she was acting totally fine when I picked her up, so who knows. Could have happened there, could have happened in our own yard when we let her out the next day.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

thread title

lol. yes.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

pastor of muppets posted:

Oh yeah this is definitely not her first trip to Conesville. The weird thing is, she really wasn’t bleeding or anything, and the wound is so small and tucked away that it really wasn’t apparent at first. I did have her boarded this weekend while we were out of town, but she was acting totally fine when I picked her up, so who knows. Could have happened there, could have happened in our own yard when we let her out the next day.

Watson has had his toe blow up a few times now, also for seemingly no reason. It goes away after a few days and is fine.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Teedo.

Your ears are stupid.

Why are your ears stupid

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Aww those ears are perfect I will love you Teedo!!

Here’s Eli being sweet yesterday. He likes to sit with his butt on the back of the couch like it is a seat. Don’t think I’ve ever caught a picture of him doing it, though.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Teedo Spagheedo

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

shortly after this a rabbit ran across the road and the walk became difficult

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Rollo doing his best to look like a cartoon dog:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

I love a good stare+blep combo! :D

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Happy birthday my 3 year old goober. Jeeze that was fast

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Veskit posted:

:toot: :burger: 3! Still looks like a puppy

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Veskit posted:

This poo poo is adorable :3:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Veskit posted:

Happy birthday Lemon Pepper!

It's Tennyson's birthday too! He's 9 today! I got some pictures of him outside but he just wanted to mush his face into me the whole time.

:burger::burger::burger:

And a gif:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Excellent

So many burger dogs :burger::dogcited:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Anybody give Simparica Trio to their hounds? It's a once-a-month chewable tablet for heartworm, roundworm, hookworm, and tick/flea. Right now I use Advocate aka Advantage Multi with Katie which is a topical. It would be really nice to skip that smelly line on her back, but when she was on Drontal Plus while she had those horrible drug-resistant hookworms it was such a pain getting her to take that tablet. If she caught a single whiff of it she would utterly refuse to eat anything. I'm wondering if Simparica is similarly repulsive...

EDIT: Image tax. Photos from a playdate:

Katie in her natural habitat (I think she's part sea lion):

Zooming with the pack:

david_a fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah I use Simparica Trio for Rory. Keep in mind it’s a chewable, but it’s not actually….chewy. It’s more like a big Sweetart. So if she’s picky about pills and supplements, I’d buy just one dose and see if she’ll actually go for it.