Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

biosterous posted:

falconer stl plus arms from fire moth stl plus my first time playing around with tinkercad

Four arms mean it can punch four times in one turn. Eight times, if the pilot has the Melee Master special ability.

Speaking of which, I'm running the next update right now and for some reason the Jenner can't punch the Galleon. This is peculiar, since page 150 of Total Warfare explicitly states that mechs can punch vehicles that are 1 level higher than them. Unless I'm forgetting something, this looks like it might be a glitch or oversight in MegaMek. On the flipside, the players have done very well this turn and are pretty much on the cusp of victory now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Maybe minimal arms means the jenner can't punch after all

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

ilmucche posted:

Maybe minimal arms means the jenner can't punch after all

I've just checked, and this is precisely the case! Mechs with the 'Minimal Arms' quirk cannot punch anything. Mystery solved.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Scintilla posted:

I've just checked, and this is precisely the case! Mechs with the 'Minimal Arms' quirk cannot punch anything. Mystery solved.

It makes sense, but I've never played with quirks and punching with a jenner is rare so I've never had it come up in megamek so I ignored it, oops!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

biosterous posted:

falconer stl plus arms from fire moth stl plus my first time playing around with tinkercad

This would be great for reaching things on those high shelves like eg infantry on a balcony

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Slavvy posted:

This would be great for reaching things on those high shelves like eg infantry on a balcony

Sit behind low cover, can't be shot, but can shoot over it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Over The Hills: Turn 9

Beads of sweat rolled down Dylan Norton’s brow as he watched Grayson, his driver, wrestle with the Galleon’s controls. The tank shuddered, and a sound like a bucket of gravel tossed into a blender filled the fighting compartment. After a few heart-stopping moments the Galleon lurched forwards, dragging itself across the open plain like a drunken crab hauling itself over a rocky beach.

“What’s wrong?” Norton yelled over the terrible grinding noise. “Why are we moving so slowly?”

“Drive shaft’s been hit!” Grayson shouted, fear and stress giving her usually calm voice a sharp, panicky edge. “If we go any faster it’ll tear loose!”

Norton felt the blood drain out of his face. The Galleon was a scout tank, with a token armament and armour rated for small arms and shrapnel. Its only advantage was its speed and manoeuvrability, and they had just lost both.

Before Norton could decide what to do next the Galleon’s radio crackled to life. “All receiving units. This is Vraman. Our position is now untenable. I will fall back and inform the captain about what has happened. The rest of you will stay here and delay the enemy for as long as possible. I repeat, our position is-”

Vraman’s voice cut out as Norton slammed his fist down on the Galleon’s control panel. Rage exploded through his frayed nerves, sweeping away the pain before it could take root. “Motherfucker!” he hissed furiously. Typical mech jock, treating tankers and footsloggers like disposable chaff.

“What’s the plan, boss?” Grayson asked.

“gently caress being a meat shield. We’re getting out of here.” Norton leant forwards and peered through the Galleon’s hardened windscreen. The crook of the valley loomed ahead of them, all steep slopes and ragged woodlands. The tank couldn’t make it over the ridge, not in its current condition, but as Norton studied the terrain he noticed a small scree slope directly ahead of them. The boulders would make fine manoeuvres impossible, but it was an excellent place to go to ground.

“We’ll ditch the tank in the boulder field, then run for the hills and find somewhere to hide. If we’re lucky, the mercs will be too busy turning Vraman into Swiss cheese to pay us any mind.”

Weapons fire for Jenner JR7-F (Player):
-Holds fire!

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 8: Hits Front! Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Front, 11/16 Armour remaining. Chance for Motive System Damage!
--Motive System Hit! Moderate damage, +2 to driving skill rolls, -1MP.
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 4: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 10: Hits Left Side! Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) takes 2 damage to Left Side, 7/9 Armour remaining. Critical Chance!
--Critical Chance in Left Side! One Critical Hit sustained! Engine destroyed! Vehicle immobilised!
-Fires Machine Gun at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 6: Hits Left Side! Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) takes 2 damage to Left Side, 5/9 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 10: Hits Left Side! Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 0/9 Armour remaining. Chance for Motive System Damage!
--Motive System Hit! Minor damage, +1 to driving skill rolls.
-Fires Medium Laser at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 8: Hits Left Side! Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 0/9 Armour, 0/3 Structure remaining. Section destroyed! Vehicle destroyed!
-Fires Machine Gun at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 8: Hits Left Side! Section already destroyed!
-Fires Machine Gun at Scorpion Light Tank (Standard) (Prowlers); needs 6, rolls 12: Hits Left Side! Section already destroyed! Chance for Motive System Damage!
--Motive System Hit! Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, MP Halved.

Weapons fire for Vulcan VL-5T (Player):
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers); needs 8, rolls 9: Hits Left Side! Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers) takes 5 damage to Left Side, 5/10 Armour remaining. Chance for Motive System Damage!
--Motive System Hit! Heavy damage, +3 to driving skill rolls, MP Halved.

--

Weapons fire for Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers):
-Fires Medium Laser at Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player); needs 10, rolls 5: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player); needs 12, rolls 7: Misses!
-Fires Machine Gun at Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player); needs 12, rolls 6: Misses!

Weapons fire for Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers):
-Fires Small Laser at Jenner JR7-F (Player); needs 8, rolls 6: Misses!
-Fires Medium Laser at Jenner JR7-F (Player); needs 8, rolls 11: Hits Left Leg! Jenner JR7-F (Player) takes 5 damage to Left Leg, 10/15 Armour remaining.

Weapons fire for Scorpion (Standard) (Prowlers):
-Fires AC/5 at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 8, rolls 8: Hits Left Arm! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! Damage reduced from 5 to 2! Vulcan VL-5T (Player) takes 2 damage to Left Arm, 9/11 Armour remaining.
-Fires Machine Gun at Vulcan VL-5T (Player); needs 11, rolls 4: Misses!

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) (Prowlers):
-Fires Laser Rifles at Locust LCT-3V (Player); needs 9, rolls 9: Hits! Glancing Blow due to Narrow Profile! 9 troopers hit, causing 3 damage. Locust LCT-3V (Player) takes 2 damage to Right Arm (2/4 Armour remaining) and 1 damage to Left Arm (3/4 Armour remaining).

Weapons fire for Foot Platoon (Laser) #2 (Prowlers):
-Holds fire!

Physical attacks for Jenner JR7-F (Player):
-Would like to punch Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers) but cannot reach with its stumpy little shoulder-nubs.

Jenner JR7-F (Player) gains 7 heat, sinks 10 heat and is now at 1 heat.

Locust LCT-3V (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Locust LCT-3V #2 (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 8 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Vulcan VL-5T (Player) gains 8 heat, sinks 12 heat and is now at 0 heat.

--

Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) gains 0 heat, sinks 7 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) gains 9 heat, sinks 9 heat and is now at 0 heat.

Commando COM-1D (Prowlers) is crippled! Pilot Cletus West ejects!
-Cletus West must make a piloting test to eject safely! Mech is prone, +5 difficulty! Landing in clear terrain, -2 difficulty! Needs 8, rolls 4; Fails!
--Cletus West takes 2 Pilot Hits due to difficult ejection!
---Cletus West must roll a 7+ to remain conscious! Rolls 12: Succeeds!
---Cletus West must roll a 10+ to remain conscious! Rolls 8: Fails!
---Cletus West blacks out after successfully ejecting.

Stinger STG-3R (Prowlers) has begun a fighting retreat; will quit the field after reaching any northern edge hex.

Galleon Light Tank GAL-100 (Prowlers) has begun a fighting retreat; crew will abandon vehicle after reaching hex 1309.

Player Status

Enemy Status

Special Abilities:
-Toughness: Grants bonus to consciousness rolls.
-Sprint: Infantry can move two hexes in one turn in exchange for not being able to fire.
-Dig In: Infantry can dig in, removing the defence penalty for being caught in the open.

Primary Objectives:
-Capture Pirate Base (4/8 Enemies Destroyed / Driven Off)

Next Orders Due: Tuesday 30th, 9:00PM GMT

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I think i can do 1410 via 1709 for r7 to the weak side of the GAL

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

also, welcome back!!

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Welcome back!

The STG is probably going to escape. It needs to live about 3 turns to reach the North edge and bug out. Depending on MM and our DMs rules, it might not be able to officially flee unless it's on the North edge and didn't jump there. So we probably have 2 solid turns to fire at it, assume it will always jump and land in woods for a total of +4 to its defense.

The Galleon might be worth more if we left it alive, they're abandoning it and it still works. That's worth more salvage than a blown out scrap pile, if we think we can let it fire on us another turn or two.

Do we let the STG go in relative peace or get bloodthirsty and try and cripple it before it can flee?

Once we've made that call we can maneuver ourselves accordingly. The LCTs could probably rush up 1606 to position for next turn and just hope in the INF don't get lucky.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

We could just let them go. The tank will be abandoned next turn, the stinger will run. The infantry will surrender once both have gone. Could avoid some needless slaughter here (I say as I look at the map to try and figure out where that pilot landed)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ilmucche posted:

We could just let them go. The tank will be abandoned next turn, the stinger will run. The infantry will surrender once both have gone. Could avoid some needless slaughter here (I say as I look at the map to try and figure out where that pilot landed)

presumably he's in 0911 with the commando wreckage

i'm tempted to vote for narrow/low profile as the MVP of this mission

e:

biosterous fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 28, 2023

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Welcome back!

Unless we can all alpha the STG to hopefully get some lucky hits on critical equipment, I think we'll have to chalk it up as a loss. I don't know if we can do enough damage to it in this turn, flighty as it is, and next turn it will be deep into the woods.

I was thinking about flaming it to hopefully slow it down, but that mech runs pretty cool, and it might just try punching through that heat.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

biosterous posted:

e:

Seriously!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

biosterous posted:

presumably he's in 0911 with the commando wreckage

e:

I mean I wouldn't mind kicking capturing the pilot. I don't think we're going to kill the stinger and the galleon is abandoning next turn.

Is it worth murdering all the poor infantry? They'll surrender soon

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Is it worth murdering all the poor infantry? They'll surrender soon

I still haven't used my flamer!!

But more seriously, yeah, I think we should ask for their surrender now.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I’m for getting as much surrender/capture as we can, i don’t need to blow things up

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Alright, it looks like a consensus is emerging around letting the remaining OpFor go / demanding their surrender. Do you guys want to call this mission right now at the cost of letting the Stinger go, or play for another couple of turns and potentially bring it down?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Scintilla posted:

Alright, it looks like a consensus is emerging around letting the remaining OpFor go / demanding their surrender. Do you guys want to call this mission right now at the cost of letting the Stinger go, or play for another couple of turns and potentially bring it down?

If all we’re likely to lose salvage-wise is the stg i day let it go

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Scintilla posted:

I don't think we can take the stinger down. Even if we can get shots into it the path to the stinger involves exposing backs to the infantry.

I say we call them up and aggressively ask for surrender, maybe we can intimidate the stinger into shutting down. If the stinger says no and runs away, whatever, the infantry will probably flip when they see their support go anyway.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

if you do manage to down the stinger, then the pirate captain has less intel, and one less mech to field

if you shoot at but fail to kill the stinger, the remaining pirates are probably less likely to expect you to let them peacefully withdraw, if it comes to that

if you let the stinger go, they'll have one more mech to field, but might be more amenable to negotiating?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Welcome back!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Speaking as a watcher, the chances of taking the stinger down seem to be minimal. The pirate captain is going to have issues with morale for sending some of his troops to die/abandoning them.

For roleplay purposes, you're being paid to secure the field/drive the enemy off. Why go for extra unless you get a bonus?

Let the infantry surrender/pickup the abandoned vehicles/pilots, turn 'em over to your employers as prisoners/offer to hire any useful ones

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As a fellow watcher, to me it seems the galleon and infantry are virtually no threat, whereas unloading everything on the rear of the stinger could potentially lead to a lucky shot that cripples it or forces the pilot to eject leading to more of that sweet sweet salvage with no downside I can see.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm voting to let it go and call for a OpFor surrender.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Scintilla Is it possible to ask the stinger to surrender join our company before we move or do we have to run and blast at it while asking over the comms?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm voting to let it go and call for a OpFor surrender.

yeah, official pilot cosign

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Between the first mission and this one, we cost the pirates 6 'Mechs and a trio of vehicles. Considering that they only have one (crashed) dropship supposedly on planet, they can't have too much in the way of forces. I doubt a single Stinger is gonna sway the fight substantially.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Stinger didn't sway this fight much either, to be fair.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Firing on the Stinger could lead to capturing a Stinger. Which is an excellent reason to let it go.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gnoman posted:

Firing on the Stinger could lead to capturing a Stinger. Which is an excellent reason to let it go.

:hmmyes:

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022
I realize I'm still in the reserve right now so I'm not sure if I have too much sway but. The Stinger is small enough potatoes that I don't think we should bother with it. If we ask for their surrender the Galleon and Infantry will probably give up and the Stinger escapes. I guess we don't really have anything to lose by trying to take out the Stinger but. Why bother? It moves fast, hits like a wet noodle, and is pretty cheap for a battle mech. If we let it go we can presumably end the fight right now. If we don't let it go we'll have to wait a week or so as our boys chase it down like hunting hounds chasing a fox

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

ilmucche posted:

Scintilla Is it possible to ask the stinger to surrender join our company before we move or do we have to run and blast at it while asking over the comms?

There's no need to submit movement or shooting orders. If you choose to demand their surrender, I will write a slightly truncated update where the Stinger flees and the rest throw in the towel. The after action report and salvage votes will follow as normal.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

I guess I'll also throw in to wrapping it up narratively as I don't think we'll land anything meaningful given its got good hexes to jump to before it leaves. I know it doesn't have Narrow Profile, but I doubt we can hit enough 10s to matter.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Amechwarrior posted:

Nice. Let me know if I die. I'm in a few (maybe all?) of the big mods due to the work I did developing the AI mod and user made Flashpoints. I still get pings here and there to answer mod questions about making FPs.

:rip: headshot by a hunchback, ac/20 to the face

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

:rip: headshot by a hunchback, ac/20 to the face

This mirrors my recent luck in MegaMek games. I'm glad the mod has fully captured my experience.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
If this wasn't just in a map grid that Stinger would be utterly screwed, it's max speed is just 91.6 km/h vs our Jenner's 119 and the Locusts 129, they'd chase his rear end down in a flash.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Koorisch posted:

If this wasn't just in a map grid that Stinger would be utterly screwed, it's max speed is just 91.6 km/h vs our Jenner's 119 and the Locusts 129, they'd chase his rear end down in a flash.

Yep, even in a solid forest our Vulcan matches the STGs mobility in the air and the LCT can still cover 6 light woods per turn. It shouldn't escape freely, if the map was infinite our best move would be to blow past the INF at max speed (leave one LCT behind to police the captured) and work to cut off the STG.

It doesn't have Narrow Profile, so while we'd have to keep throwing 9s and 10s to hit, after about 4-5 hits we'd start getting to something important and it's game from there.

But we have to make concessions for time and game space.

EDIT: Better yet say we don't immobilize the STG, it leads us back to where the rest of them are hiding and we peel off as soon as we get more contacts. That's an even better result going by our overall mission to root them out.

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 31, 2023

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
To me (as watcher) chasing the Stinger for several rounds while unloading at it at long range with a low chance to hit seems repetitive and not necessarily fun when it's the only OpFor left.

Can justify it as having to mop up the surrendering troops/secure the battlefield and having a drone track it or some of the faster mechs keep pace with it from a long distance to see where it's going. But totally the call of the players!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

wedgekree posted:

To me (as watcher) chasing the Stinger for several rounds while unloading at it at long range with a low chance to hit seems repetitive and not necessarily fun when it's the only OpFor left.

Can justify it as having to mop up the surrendering troops/secure the battlefield and having a drone track it or some of the faster mechs keep pace with it from a long distance to see where it's going. But totally the call of the players!

Yep, that's why we basically all voted to end it here and resolve it narratively.