Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dedicated to all the computers who gave their lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

davidspackage posted:

This could be a series.

This is great.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Granddad's rarely-seen canonical name.

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

A quick google image search reveals that yes, that's apparently a fairly popular cosplay. (It's easy to make, at least.)
Original, for reference:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (May 30, 1976)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire and the Curse of Tangaroa!

Popeye

And another bonus: Still More Toonerville Gap-Pluggers For 1917 (January 26, March 6-7, 1917 (in the Minneapolis paper))

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Granddad's rarely-seen canonical name.

This depiction of heaven isn’t exactly selling me on the place.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vargo posted:

Once again, I do not understand what point Curtis is trying to make.

Curtis' dad rightly points out that not everybody necessarily needs to pursue a traditional college education (and get ensnared in the trap of being saddled with 6-figure debt before they're 20 years old) and may be better suited for a trade school or, hell, just getting a job and learning from work experience. Clearly he is unfulfilled in his chosen profession - which requires a degree - which is also one that barely allows him to support the family paycheck to paycheck.

I went to college (on my parents' dime and scholarships, no loan burden on me.) I work in higher education now. I'm not willing to go all in on "College is a scam," but I'm also not going to refute the argument entirely.

davidspackage posted:

This could be a series.

A veritable bounty of A+ edits!

Green Intern posted:

Each week in church as a kid, when we'd hit the point the in the Eucharist about the Heavenly Hosts singing "Hosanna in the Highest" to praise God, that was a real tripping point for me. "THIS is the song? And it's being sung in Heaven, without stopping...forever? I dunno..."

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 28, 2023

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Green Intern posted:

At least you can gently caress off back to earth and have some limited interaction with the corporeal world.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

*for the Ghost Who Wanks!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

davidspackage posted:

So, there were probably edits about this in the old thread but most of those images aren't loading for me, so whatev

I wanted to do something with the comic of Phantom taking his shirt off too, but that seemed like shooting fish in a barrel.

This could be a series.

:perfect:

Yeah, really hard to decipher what a smiling face means. He sees them so rarely.

Junk Drawer

Every one of these could be real titles in the cozy mystery genre.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i totally forgot the Phantom with amnesia. those strips where he's debating what woman will mother his son are loving hilarious.

Luann: very young, uncreative, has a dog
Chatu: might give me ebola, rich, looks good in tank top
Dustin's Mom: already has kids, likes to eat exotic food, has a good job
Jeremy's Mom: good cook, very flexible, does yoga
Family Circus Mom: very patient, good housekeeper, has four kids already so won't mind more
FOOB Mom: no snow in Africa, likes babies, likes dogs, likes to complain so i will do lots of patrols

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Green Intern posted:

You get sandals and a comfy robe though.

F Minus

Mark Trail

DOGNAPPERS

I expected Greta to have some kind of medical emergency and wind up at the vets (maybe hit by a car), but this has way more potential.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Meanwhile, outside, Rene unfastens himself from the undercarriage of their SUV.

Andertoons

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/PopeyeTweetsk/status/1661084891549712386

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 5/27/03

Brenda Starr 1/22-24/51

Smokey Stover 11/28/54

Teensy European sports cars would become a reliable source of comedy in the 1950s as some GIs brought them back from Europe.

Everyday Movies 6/15/36

"Mark everyone of those bottles and that goes for the other roomers, too. I'll find out who's throwing them down the airshaft."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/21-23/41

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 1/22-24/51

Ok, WTF is going on in panel three there, is she pushing perfume up her nose so hard it comes out of her ear?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hel posted:

Ok, WTF is going on in panel three there, is she pushing perfume up her nose so hard it comes out of her ear?

I suspect that's whichever one of the Agony sisters has the sinus problems -- that's a nasal spray, not perfume. The puff of air coming out of her ear is a joke implying she's empty-headed.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Mourning The Death Of My Wife's Thick rear end

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/21-23/41

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

DOGNAPPERS

I expected Greta to have some kind of medical emergency and wind up at the vets (maybe hit by a car), but this has way more potential.

I actually really like Saul and Greta so I am very invested. :ohdear:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

howe_sam posted:

I dunno, giving up your boyfriend seems like it would make you eligible for the noble prize

Not as far behind as usual so this seems like a good time to mention my theory based on FUTURE BAD MACHINERY comics that in this timeline Shauna's parents stayed together which is why she lives in a nicer house and is less neurotic in general which it makes it that much sadder that she doesn't even realize what she's giving up for Mr. Beckwith.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

lmfao

Some Guy TT posted:

Not as far behind as usual so this seems like a good time to mention my theory based on FUTURE BAD MACHINERY comics that in this timeline Shauna's parents stayed together which is why she lives in a nicer house and is less neurotic in general which it makes it that much sadder that she doesn't even realize what she's giving up for Mr. Beckwith.

Please don't make me super sad. :smith:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Given that the machine is producing yellow goop I think weirdly's scam is that he stole some honey and needs an excuse for where it came from. That's clearly not flower nectar.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Bardiche Hotel

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/22/50

Archie 6/16-18/47

The average new car in 1947 cost $1,800.

The joke is apparently that Betty wants to be groped.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hel posted:

At least you can gently caress off back to earth and have some limited interaction with the corporeal world.

Grandpa Keane slipping out the pearly gates when St Peter’s back is turned so he can smell a rose and give an approving wink and nod at his grandkids

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

Puhallin = woodwind/brass instrument, more literally "an instrument you blow into", literally "blower"
Soittaja = player (of an instrument)
Soittaja = phonecaller
Lämpöpuhallin = a machine that blows warm air into a room, I decided to go with "heat pump" but there might be a better word; literally "warmth-blower"
Puhallinsoittaja = someone who plays a brass/woodwind instrument
Puhallinsoittaja = someone who calls about things that blow air

I was going to scan more ANSU today but ended up sleeping instead.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 16: Hell on Wheels Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

A new story begins and it begins with a visual reference designed to tantalise the mind. The whole issue is up as a PDF on my Patreon for $3+ subscribers and rather than the normal 22 pages of story, there are 23 because "someone" had to cut a page in half and make it into two pages and that page was this page. Value!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Green Intern posted:

He's actually in Hell.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

I really like that Spud doesn't even say anything and deposits Wallace's award alongside his other participation trophies. :3: A hack writer would've had Spud say something they thought was hilarious and only undercut the emotional core set by the scene, or something.

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Hagar remains my low-key favorite strip because of stuff like this. A lot of newspaper comics have the dad be a lovely father and lousy husband, but Hagar here loves his family a lot.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

JethroMcB posted:

Curtis' dad rightly points out that not everybody necessarily needs to pursue a traditional college education (and get ensnared in the trap of being saddled with 6-figure debt before they're 20 years old) and may be better suited for a trade school or, hell, just getting a job and learning from work experience. Clearly he is unfulfilled in his chosen profession - which requires a degree - which is also one that barely allows him to support the family paycheck to paycheck.

I went to college (on my parents' dime and scholarships, no loan burden on me.) I work in higher education now. I'm not willing to go all in on "College is a scam," but I'm also not going to refute the argument entirely.

What's interesting is that we know where Curtis' dad works; the Department of Motor Vehicles. Furthermore, whenever Greg talks about his day at work, he gives the impression he deals directly with the public. Based on what I could find on the NYDMV's website, it would appear that he might be a Motor Vehicle Representative, which according to this page, doesn't require a college degree (I'm assuming Curtis takes place in NYC, although I've also read that it could be set in Baltimore or Washington DC, but I had a harder time finding info about DMV jobs in those areas). All of the positions that do require a degree seem to deal with behind the scenes work that would not have Greg interacting with the public as part of his job (as well as higher salaries). Of course it's possible that Greg does have a degree but is in a position that doesn't require one.

In short Greg Wilkins is probably in a position that he is overqualified for, which bolsters his argument of not everyone needing college. I have also spent too much time thinking about this, but that's just one of the hazards of this thread I guess.

Some Guy TT posted:

Possibly, although note that we do see Humphrey in this timeline, who is Ella's son by Dan Finster, which would suggest that Ella and Glenn Hughes parted ways as they did in the regular timeline.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jan 4-5, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jul 6-7, 1993)

Big Nate

Dunce

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 29, 2023

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Crabgrass looks different today.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Crabgrass looks different today.

I have no idea what you could mean.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for May 26, 1927! The theme is THE FUTURE, and it looks like Fred G. Cooper got around to seeing Metropolis.

He also demonstrates what represents "the future" to a 1927 cartoonist with his ear to the ground and an eye on the gallery.

Actually, there's a lot of that going around this week. (unsigned)

Emilio Amero (maybe):

I wasn't entirely sure about that last one until I turned the page and found A.X. Peña:

Charles Baskerville:

Nate Collier (who is strictly for squares this time around):

Fun's fun, but Sanford Tousey knows the score.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 29, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

It's A Sketchy Life for May 26, 1927! The theme is THE FUTURE, [..]

Charles Baskerville:

If only they knew.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

:v:

Fingerpori

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

I think I got whiplash from the quality of writing changes between strips here, good job.