Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he's a midcarder who thinks he's a main event player :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He could've and probably should've been a main eventer in AEW, he just chose to make it impossible for him to be a main eventer at the start of the company, then balked when the company wouldn't pay him main eventer money foooooooooooor some reason????

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He was a main eventer in AEW by virtue of being a marquee match every time he wrestled. It's a straight downgrade at this point because he might have started that way in WWE it's also obviously not becoming the Cody show like they first hinted at. He had the Cody show and left because he had to share a little which might be the dumbest mistake he's ever made.

Still love him, want him back.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Cody has a track record of being a real dumb dumb, but that is OK because he ended racism or whatever

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

the last time the WWE did something like the AEW Codyverse, where they pause the show for a self-contained universe to have its weird segments and then go away for the rest of the show, was the Randy/Bray/Alexa stuff

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

and it stunk

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Put cody in the firefly funhouse match. Imagine the sideways nods they could make

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

So this is the first time I’ve actually heard Cody’s theme song and hahahaha

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

I remember watching WM30 and thinking "it's finally happened. They've been forced to give the people what they want and look at that reaction. This will make them realise the error of their ways."

lol they're just rerunning the story how they wanted it to go, over and over again. Poor, dumb Cody. I'll still pop if he jumps ship and goes back.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MJeff posted:

He could've and probably should've been a main eventer in AEW, he just chose to make it impossible for him to be a main eventer at the start of the company, then balked when the company wouldn't pay him main eventer money foooooooooooor some reason????

What I found interesting is when the plans around the AEW World Title began to formulate, it became, not obvious, but one could predict that the plan was Jericho-Moxley-Omega-Page-MJF, and then some were speculating that Cody would be the one to dethrone MJF.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Why would you even agree to do that stip? Wasn’t watching AEW at the time so it’s a genuine question. I guess it seemed like the magnanimous thing for an EVP to do? Seems like the sort of humble-but-not-really thing he’d do anyway.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Answers Me posted:

Why would you even agree to do that stip? Wasn’t watching AEW at the time so it’s a genuine question. I guess it seemed like the magnanimous thing for an EVP to do? Seems like the sort of humble-but-not-really thing he’d do anyway.

The first year of AEW had the EVPs very much trying to prove that they weren't just going to book themselves over everyone. The Bucks lost to Private Party in the tag title tournament, Hangman lost the first AEW world title shot, Cody lost to Jericho after that, and Kenny lost to Mox.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Because he was doing an inside baseball “I promise won’t ever just book myself to be the top guy because I have stroke” thing off the back of a “surely Cody won’t lose his title shot then because no more title shots ever would be crazy!” swerve attempt

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Answers Me posted:

The story goes that he came up with the stip himself.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Answers Me posted:

My guess has long been that he wanted to follow in his dad's footsteps not just in the ring, but behind the scenes as well, and be the head booker of AEW. Making himself ineligible for a future world title shot was, in my view, his way of saying to the rest of the roster "I won't book myself into world title runs like my dad did when he booked JCP". And when it was not only evident that Tony Khan wasn't going to let him have the book in AEW, but that he was starting to take issue with some of the stuff Cody was coming up with for his own self-contained Codyverse, I think that's what ultimately made him decide to leave. I don't think it was about money at all; he went to WWE because they're the only other major promotion in the US that could afford to pay him what he wanted (at least, without having to travel overseas a lot), but I think if TK had offered to let him be the head booker but at the same pay he had when AEW started up, he'd have taken it. Again, this is all just speculation on my part.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Answers Me posted:

he’s a loving dumbass, OP

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

My guess has long been that he wanted to follow in his dad's footsteps not just in the ring, but behind the scenes as well, and be the head booker of AEW. Making himself ineligible for a future world title shot was, in my view, his way of saying to the rest of the roster "I won't book myself into world title runs like my dad did when he booked JCP". And when it was not only evident that Tony Khan wasn't going to let him have the book in AEW, but that he was starting to take issue with some of the stuff Cody was coming up with for his own self-contained Codyverse, I think that's what ultimately made him decide to leave. I don't think it was about money at all; he went to WWE because they're the only other major promotion in the US that could afford to pay him what he wanted (at least, without having to travel overseas a lot), but I think if TK had offered to let him be the head booker but at the same pay he had when AEW started up, he'd have taken it. Again, this is all just speculation on my part.

It's this.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Cody did say, this is going back to the initial jumping back to WWE, that if he asked Tony for one specific thing that Tony would've granted it.

Now it makes sense, it wasn't a title, it was the book.

He probably wanted to book a second show by himself. Probably. Maybe. I don't know :shrug:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If Tony said No to Cody booking, he was right

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Chris James 2 posted:

There's an NXT show tonight they want you skipping Double Or Nothing for, same time

Noam Dar vs Dragon Lee in a Heritage Cup rules match seems like the sort of thing I will go out of my way to watch. Which I think would be the first WWE match of this year for me.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

JUNGLE BOY posted:

If Tony said No to Cody booking, he was right

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Tony should have let Cody book Rampage. It might not have been good but the Codyverse would have been more must-watch than Rampage's current incarnation

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jeff jarrett could book rampage better

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

We already got Karen on dynamite lol if you think you can escape the Jarrettverse

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wouldn’t want to

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

post hole digger posted:

We already got Karen on dynamite lol if you think you can escape the Jarrettverse

His theme song says it all

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Majinfoose posted:

His theme song says it all

He ain’t dead he ain’t JEFF

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yea so NXT has a show going on....

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

AEW spoilers, related to recent discussions here: Max Caster just pointed out that Buddy Murphy is being cucked by a kid named Dominic

EMF was right!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Dragon Lee, still a lunatic

https://twitter.com/luigiwvideos/status/1662983423852441602

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

AEW spoilers, related to recent discussions here: Max Caster just pointed out that Buddy Murphy is being cucked by a kid named Dominic

EMF was right!

crowd was chanting who's your papi at times during the match, good stuff

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

oh no

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Digital Jedi posted:

Yea so NXT has a show going on....

If no one watches it does that make it true?

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Miching Mallecho posted:

Cody did say, this is going back to the initial jumping back to WWE, that if he asked Tony for one specific thing that Tony would've granted it.

Now it makes sense, it wasn't a title, it was the book.

He probably wanted to book a second show by himself. Probably. Maybe. I don't know :shrug:

Why would Tony have given Cody the book? All his ideas stuck out in a bad way the last year of his run in AEW. I think it was probably a title. Tony would have understood that Cody as champ would have been a red hot angle.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Arf arf

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

EMF was right!

A cuck like me just knows, I watch WWE after all.

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

Eat My Fuc posted:

A cuck like me just knows, I watch WWE after all.

watching someone else EAT MY FUC

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Is Brock still on a “millions per fight” contract? It doesn’t look like you’re finishing a story when you’re losing to a guy getting 10 times what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Shard posted:

Ok so it isn't just us right? Have they actually turned WWE fans into thinking Cody is a loser

Cody is to the WWE what Zaurg was to BFC