Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Star Fox 64 had both satisfying spaceship combat and satisfying tank combat, so it's clearly the superior game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

ponzicar posted:

Star Fox 64 had both satisfying spaceship combat and satisfying tank combat, so it's clearly the superior game.
And about the same framerate as Star Citizen, too. Just ahead of its time in every way.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Time_pants posted:

Are you serious?

Maybe? I don't even know with this boondoggle anymore. I have given up on the idea that whoever's still throwing money at Star Citizen will ever stop, but I just can't wrap my head around the idea of anybody at CIG still wanting to keep this deathmarch going in 2033. Chris is already ten years older than he was when he launched this failure, by now he must be spending all of his "work" hours just flipping through yacht brochures and thinking about summering in Monaco, right? When's his breaking point, what level of absolute unfixable brokenness does Star Citizen have to sink to before he decides to pull a Lord British, cashing out and leaving through the back door with a mumbled "Iwasonlyeveracreativedirectormyworkhereisdone"?

And then there's the thought that maybe I'm wrong, maybe the funding does actually start to dry up (or less likely, CIG announces that Star Citizen is officially released), at which point...does anyone seriously think that CIG would keep paying to keep the servers running for more than a year after that? Because I think the blowoff on this grift is going to be shockingly fast. Games that actually exist, that had fewer problems and more players, have completely shut down less than a year after release for worse reasons.

But I don't know, any attempt to understand the things that keep Star Citizen lumbering along year after year after year is probably beyond me, and I should probably be thankful for that.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Trilobite posted:

Maybe? I don't even know with this boondoggle anymore. I have given up on the idea that whoever's still throwing money at Star Citizen will ever stop, but I just can't wrap my head around the idea of anybody at CIG still wanting to keep this deathmarch going in 2033. Chris is already ten years older than he was when he launched this failure, by now he must be spending all of his "work" hours just flipping through yacht brochures and thinking about summering in Monaco, right? When's his breaking point, what level of absolute unfixable brokenness does Star Citizen have to sink to before he decides to pull a Lord British, cashing out and leaving through the back door with a mumbled "Iwasonlyeveracreativedirectormyworkhereisdone"?

And then there's the thought that maybe I'm wrong, maybe the funding does actually start to dry up (or less likely, CIG announces that Star Citizen is officially released), at which point...does anyone seriously think that CIG would keep paying to keep the servers running for more than a year after that? Because I think the blowoff on this grift is going to be shockingly fast. Games that actually exist, that had fewer problems and more players, have completely shut down less than a year after release for worse reasons.

But I don't know, any attempt to understand the things that keep Star Citizen lumbering along year after year after year is probably beyond me, and I should probably be thankful for that.

I got you easy answer

Ben takes every scrap of paper and hdd he can scrounge it buy from the office fire sale

He then opens a kickstarter / gofundme to “preserve the rich history of star citizen” and makes a few million promising to put it all in a museum

Or blow it all on chips a hoy cookies until the fire fighters find him entombed ina makeshift shrine to Chris

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ponzicar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syk0yecayBo
The superior tank + spaceship game.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Tippis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syk0yecayBo
The superior tank + spaceship game.

This game was absolutely sick.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
The tank tracks may be missing the mark, but at least CIG have improved on real life tank design by making their one nice and tall so that it can shoot bad guys over a hill. I understand the US army are queuing up at their door desperate to license this technology.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/starcitizen: Latency tests for various actions

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

CRobber bringing back the glory days of modem gaming, but modem:ier than they were even back then.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
NO CARRIER
because it's not in the game

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Cutedge posted:

:hmmyes:

ngl I actually spent 5 minutes looking for a good picture from Robotech/Macross when they put the mechs on the arm of the spacerobut but couldn't find one

much smaller scale, but battletech has a bunch of folks in power armour riding a big mech

then you just need to put a bunch of those mechs on the spacebot

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tippis posted:

CRobber bringing back the glory days of modem gaming, but modem:ier than they were even back then.

surprised they don't sell 'ironic' in game t shirts about modems and baud rates and poo poo ... yet

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ben has never cared about SC he was only in it to work with the Wing Commander guy.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/alFmN7H.mp4

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

1 hr 38 min posted:

That's how long you have to wait for your Carrack after a 30k right now.

Yes, I have other ships to fly.
No, telling people to solely use smaller ships is not a solution.
No, this is not even remotely how we should be playing for the long, foreseeable future.

If people are salvaging their own ships just to get into salvaging gameplay or to make easy money, you need to offer more interesting and generally more available salvaging gameplay elsewhere.

It's not fun posted:

It's not just the respawn timers.

It's waiting to get to the train. It's waiting on the train. It's waiting to get to somewhere I can buy armor. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy weapons and ammo. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy personal utility items. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy medical items. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy sustenance items. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy clothes. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy ship and vehicle weapons. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy ship and vehicle components. It's waiting to get somewhere I can rent a ship or vehicle. It's waiting to get somewhere I can buy a ship or vehicle. It's waiting to get to the cargo deck. It's waiting to get to somewhere I can summon my ship or vehicle. It's waiting to get to the hangar. It's waiting to get out of the hangar. It's waiting to fly to the garage to load my vehicle. It's waiting in quantum because the place I'm at doesn't let me do some, most, or any of the previous things. It's waiting to refuel. It's waiting to repair. It's waiting to rearm. It's waiting to get to somewhere I can log out. And it's waiting to do it all over again when there's a game-breaking bug, crash, 30k, pirate attack, or griefer.

I understand that there are some things that are gonna be a timesink. But not everything has to be. Why do I even have to go to a shop that's in the same system at all? I have a MobiGlass. Why isn't there a MobiShop app that lets me order from any shop in the same system (or at least planetary neighborhood)?

Waiting isn't fun. And after 11 years, I'm getting tired of waiting for someone at CIG to understand that.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
That post is wild cause based on everything I've heard from people who claim to like this game, the Tedium is what they like about it because that means it's Realistic and Realistic automatically means Good!!!

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Mirificus posted:

It's waiting...

Incredible that CIG have got so many gameplay loops in already after just 11 years.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

This very well-sourced and investigated data with large ramifications for the game as a whole has less discussion than an image of some drink bottles and a gif of cargo being transferred between 2 cutlasses.

This is Star Citizen.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

:reddit: posted:

Waiting isn't fun. And after 11 years, I'm getting tired of waiting for someone at CIG to understand that.

Sure can I put you on a brief hold?

Can this dumbass hear himself?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I thought about the stimpire

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Asproigerosis posted:

I thought about the stimpire

Deskeletonization day approaches

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Everything about the new Gollum game reminds me of ye olde days of Star Citizen. This particular image is very Star Citizeny but I can't quite explain why:

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Randalor posted:

Ah, Lotus 1-2-3 for OS/2 then.

Ahem, it's actually adabas on a mainframe.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Hey now, OS/2 was a typical IBM-led goat-rodeo utter failure in the consumer marketplace but the kernel was rock-solid; even the early version 1.3 was so light and stable it ran in ATMs for far longer than you'd expect.

As opposed to Shart Citizen, which has the reliability and structural integrity of a defective Ferrero Rocher.

SEE HOW I BROUGHT IT BACK TO SHART CITIZEN hah gottem

Also has anyone said Shart Citizen yet

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Cryengine is also fairly stable, it's just not meant for... whatever the gently caress Croberts is doing to it in the name of his "game".

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Sandweed posted:

Ben has never cared about SC he was only in it to work with the Wing Commander guy.

The whales keeping the project going are the same.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

From what I've seen there is actually a use for a tank in SC, but only if they add more pvp content that supports it. The basilisk as a ground based anti-air missle platform is quite potent since it has a 15-30km range and ships won't detect it until they're within a couple km. If a ground location is being defended by centurions the best way to deal with them is either bombing them with an A2 or deploying tanks to take them out on the ground. That said there isn't much content in the game currently which would prompt that level of large scale organized ground defense.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
There is zero reason for ground combat vehicles except to camp an event node or setup a meaningless battle between 2 orgs.

Again anything a tank can do a magical hovering spaceship can do better.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Randalor posted:

The Cryengine is also fairly stable, it's just not meant for... whatever the gently caress Croberts is doing to it in the name of his "game".

CryEngine is really good at making first person shooters set on tropical islands that suddenly turn into sci-fi games halfway through out of nowhere, and it's been a disaster for literally anything else people have tried to do with it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
With as ten years of development and with as many devs they have working on it, would you actually expect much of the original engine code to be left? I mean assuming they actually have people working on that and everyone's not just building more ships to sell.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Sure. At no point have they demonstrated any level of competence that would suggest they'd be able to do much with it on that level.
Except maybe when they managed to make half the universe not be underwater.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Drakkel posted:

CryEngine is really good at making first person shooters set on tropical islands that suddenly turn into sci-fi games halfway through out of nowhere, and it's been a disaster for literally anything else people have tried to do with it
For Hunt: Showdown it works pretty well, apart from the abysmal Screen Space Reflections.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

From what I've seen there is actually a use for a tank in SC, but only if they add more pvp content that supports it. The basilisk as a ground based anti-air missle platform is quite potent since it has a 15-30km range and ships won't detect it until they're within a couple km. If a ground location is being defended by centurions the best way to deal with them is either bombing them with an A2 or deploying tanks to take them out on the ground. That said there isn't much content in the game currently which would prompt that level of large scale organized ground defense.

Which one of those anti air platforms was the one , when they released it for play it would fire the missle out and it would either plop out of the tube and fail to go further than 6 feet before exploding . Or it would do a crazy Ivan the entire time and never hit anything

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
But don't they have a sniper railgun ship that can take tanks out from orbit? Or at the very least, take out whatever the tank was defending?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

given that you can take big ships into atmo you can probably just bully the SAM trucks anyway, no tank required. There's a definite scale issue there, a SAM truck balanced against a small ship is hard to balance against a big ship. The game Empyrion had similar issues.

Ofc in a sane game the SAM trucks would be NPC only and not $200 citizen chariots.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Everything about the new Gollum game reminds me of ye olde days of Star Citizen. This particular image is very Star Citizeny but I can't quite explain why:

Commandos are safe from Gollum because helmet animations were among the first thing implemented in Star Citizen

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Cry harder than ever with the new SobEngine(tm)

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

given that you can take big ships into atmo you can probably just bully the SAM trucks anyway, no tank required. There's a definite scale issue there, a SAM truck balanced against a small ship is hard to balance against a big ship. The game Empyrion had similar issues.

Ofc in a sane game the SAM trucks would be NPC only and not $200 citizen chariots.

I mean the size 7 torps can threaten big ships, and with 8 of the size 5s even they can do some damage. I think the size 7s can one shot anything short of a hammerhead or retaliator.

As for the real money prices of the ground vehicles, they're insane. They're at most 20% of the price of a ship in in-game currency so you'd be nuts to spent real money on them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You can discuss how powerful a specific weapon or vehicle is in game and fantasize about how you might use them in a combined arms operation until you actually dig into what would have to happen for a scenario in Star Citizen that would necessitate ground vehicles and as it stands there is none.

The only use they have is Rexzilla style player corps agreeing to fight each other at a set time at a set place for fun. Everyone lines up there expensive ships and tanks and SAM vehicles and hopes the server doesn't crash again before they can get started and then they fight and it's a buggy mess and things randomly blow up until one side "wins" and that's then end of it. There is no gain that couldn't be gotten in a far easier manner and no real purpose beyond justifying why you spent 200 real world dollars on a video game tank for a space sim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 20, 2006

What's the betting they put Squadron 42 back on the store at upper-tier AAAAA game pricing levels?