Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Murata’s a bit of a weird case where I think he chooses to do a good amount of the things he does. Like redoing entire chapters is not something anyone’s asking him to do and I don’t think anyone was like “hey go make a tv anime, right now!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Yeah Murata is absolutely a workaholic, and ONE has deliberately withheld drafts for manga chapters in order to force him to take a break. He's just one of those people who won't stop unless you force them to.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

Yeah Murata is absolutely a workaholic, and ONE has deliberately withheld drafts for manga chapters in order to force him to take a break. He's just one of those people who won't stop unless you force them to.

My friend has a border collie, who he says, if left up to her, will literally not stop playing fetch until she collapses in exhaustion.

I see a similarity here...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

thetoughestbean posted:

Mangaka health is notoriously poor because of overwork. The human body isn’t meant to sit in a chair and hold a pen for thirteen hours a day

yeah and we have seen the unfortunate effect when it just the limit reaches the threshold. Example: Togashi

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://cubari.moe/read/gist/Z2lzdC9nYXVjaGU3LzUzOWY4NDc0ZjVjZTI5YmE2ZTQwYjQ5ZDBiNzk0ZGQwL3Jhdy8/6/1/

Chapter 6 of versus!
A plan is made, we got some fan service, and someone might be hiding a secret?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Plus I totally thought the army man was a man lol, not an extremely hot woman. And the best friend was a woman, not an man lol

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The army woman seems sharp, and can tell there's obviously something up with the hero. I'm guessing demon impersonator or parasite.

Or maybe he's just a coward who's about to sell them all out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mr. Lobe posted:

The army woman seems sharp, and can tell there's obviously something up with the hero. I'm guessing demon impersonator or parasite.

Or maybe he's just a coward who's about to sell them all out.

The timing of the Parasite World people explaining the way the parasites operate is a pretty strong suggestion that it's what's happening with Alio.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's probably a coward that ran away without ever trying to fight his demon king. however, there's no one to sell them out to. none of the adversaries need a traitor to effortlessly stamp out the final fortress.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's too soon for anything to happen yet. I think he just didn't even try to fight his demon king.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

he had a saul to damascus moment and has converted to MadGod-ism

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm liking the comic. It's like a problem solving comic except instead of a mundane issue it's trying to figure out how to navigate multiple apocalypses

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Give the king parasites to eat the illness.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

If the "New Humanity" humans are better than regular humans in every way, you'd think they'd have figured out the situation just as fast or faster than the human group, and also have come up with similar or better conclusions and tactics to survive. In other words, they'll always be a step ahead of the humans.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Siliziumleben posted:

If the "New Humanity" humans are better than regular humans in every way, you'd think they'd have figured out the situation just as fast or faster than the human group, and also have come up with similar or better conclusions and tactics to survive. In other words, they'll always be a step ahead of the humans.

On the other hand, maybe they are arrogant enough to underestimate the other apocalypses. Might have been generations in their world since neo humanity was confronted with any real threat. The lesser, presumably non sociopathic humanity has had a lot of time to think through being the underdog.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/Everything_OPM/status/1663144571176402946

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I want to press the Blast button

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i don't really know if that's the big reveal the twitter thinks it is but it's pretty cool

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i don't really know if that's the big reveal the twitter thinks it is but it's pretty cool

I’m happy with it. :shobon:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Versus is a miss for me because it's already been 6 chapters for a monthly series and it still isn't finished with the setup. It just keeps circling around to these meetings where everyone talks about maybe getting the Natural Enemies to fight against each other that it feels like a parody at times.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

amigolupus posted:

Versus is a miss for me because it's already been 6 chapters for a monthly series and it still isn't finished with the setup. It just keeps circling around to these meetings where everyone talks about maybe getting the Natural Enemies to fight against each other that it feels like a parody at times.

Everything about the series--the premise, the characters, the first couple of chapters, the art by a known amazing action artist--screams action manga, but the pacing so far suggests a different genre entirely.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Versus is just bad. That's really all there is to it. It's not that I mind talky manga or that the idea isn't potentially interesting, but there's nothing that has been done so far that couldn't have been done in a single chapter. I feel like I'm watching a high school student attempt to pad an essay in real time.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Totally agree. I love the premise, and I genuinely enjoy reading each chapter, but I can't believe that we have basically been in meetings with these characters for the last 5 chapter updates, over the past 4 months. Like, imagine if the first S Class meeting to discuss the prophecy started in Chapter 3, and Boros didn't attack until 5 chapters later...

REALLY hope we get to see some action and a reveal of the Neo Humans next chapter

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I'm on the fence about Versus, but this chapter had a major problem with telling instead of showing. They talk about scouting and seeing the giants. That sounds like it could have been an interesting chapter. Instead of showing it, its just told to us after the fact. The story starts after a (potentially) interesting thing already happened, then nothing happens, and then it ends with the promise of maybe something happening next issue, possibly.

Imagine if the chapter opened with a scouting party running into one of the flesh totems while exploring, and they'd say something like "Oh, the giants must be expanding their territory". Then they realize the giants are headed for the citadel. Instead of calmly planning their strategy ahead, they have to do something about it right then. Maybe they get spotted and chased by giants, and then they have the idea to lead the giants toward new humanity. Being in the midst of the situation creates tension to keep the story moving. The chapter could end right as they encounter new humanity, or whatever the next story beat is.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I’m really enjoying versus. I like the characters that ONE has established and the premise is unique. It’s slow as molasses but I’m not paying ONE to pump it out so I’m happy for him to do his thing at his pace. He has that much good will from me for writing some of the most entertaining manga of the last decade.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I will admit chapter 5 felt the weakest of the chapters so far.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm willing to be patient with it, but perhaps it should have a thread of its own.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

dunno if a monthly comic with 5 entries so far really deserves it, would just get immediately buried lmao

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:justpost:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I think Versus' issue is that there's just too much going on for a monthly series. You have this massive concept and cast, with all kinds of possibilities, and you could have some amazing momentum if it were weekly. The fact that so much was dumped on the story so quickly means that we have these plodding explanation chapters, and it's just kind of a drag to read at the current pace.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Eh, just save some chapters up and then read them all at once

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
It's been said before, but I do think it would be genuinely funny if we never see any actual action even once it starts, and it's just people telling the folks in the fort how things are going outside.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
We’re just spoiled when a single chapter of Muratas OPM has more going on than Versus has in its entire run.

I do agree that things are moving glacially slow for a monthly series. I would have forgotten that it even existed if not for this thread

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I'm on the fence about Versus, but this chapter had a major problem with telling instead of showing. They talk about scouting and seeing the giants. That sounds like it could have been an interesting chapter. Instead of showing it, its just told to us after the fact. The story starts after a (potentially) interesting thing already happened, then nothing happens, and then it ends with the promise of maybe something happening next issue, possibly.

Imagine if the chapter opened with a scouting party running into one of the flesh totems while exploring, and they'd say something like "Oh, the giants must be expanding their territory". Then they realize the giants are headed for the citadel. Instead of calmly planning their strategy ahead, they have to do something about it right then. Maybe they get spotted and chased by giants, and then they have the idea to lead the giants toward new humanity. Being in the midst of the situation creates tension to keep the story moving. The chapter could end right as they encounter new humanity, or whatever the next story beat is.

I was thinking something along the same lines. Rather than showing us a meeting of them planning the Giants vs Neo Humans, you could have put us directly in the action, and maybe have quick flashback cuts to the meeting to slowly let us in on the scheme, Oceans 11 style.

I'm also willing to give ONE a lot of patience and goodwill, but I have to agree that the pacing and characters have been fairly flat for me.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Eh, just save some chapters up and then read them all at once

That's like, six months. Not gonna remember or really care.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SpacePig posted:

It's been said before, but I do think it would be genuinely funny if we never see any actual action even once it starts, and it's just people telling the folks in the fort how things are going outside.

ONE pitching Vs. to his editors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6dbbQKPdNI

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Despite Murata having health issues, we still get a chapter. I think this is the one where he's going to rest afterward? So it might be a while until the next one.

Anyway here's the raws: https://tonarinoyj.jp/episode/4856001361290517894

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
You can tell Murata is unwell because he drew Captain Mizuki in a shirt.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Translation up: https://cubari.moe/read/imgur/yGLGcxn/1/1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Good chapter but no Fubuki cover so I'm gonna have to say its poo poo overall