Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

I tried to stick around with Get Played after the format change but I just don’t give a poo poo about new games. I should probably go through and cherry pick some episodes now that theres a backlog though

their bits and stuff are still funny but yea the eps on new games feel so pointless. they avoid saying anything that would remotely resemble spoilers, and most of them have only played a few hours since they cover a new game every week. there's no actual discussion that takes place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
They've slowly shifted to only covering new games about once a month in the We Play, You Play episodes. The other weeks they'll talk about the franchise or genre of that month's big game in general.

The issue at the heart of the matter is that movie podcasts are like "Let me commit 2-3 hours of my week to watching this specific film so I can talk about it," whereas a video game podcast is like "Okay, to talk about this new release I need to put in at least 2.5 hours every day before the next recording, and then maybe I can cover the first half of the game." I suspect that's also why they have guests so infrequently now, not wanting to ask people to do a dozen hours of prep for a 90 minute recording.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Does anyone know if that Kalpakis James Brooks sketch that they mentioned exists online anywhere?

JethroMcB posted:

They've slowly shifted to only covering new games about once a month in the We Play, You Play episodes. The other weeks they'll talk about the franchise or genre of that month's big game in general.

The issue at the heart of the matter is that movie podcasts are like "Let me commit 2-3 hours of my week to watching this specific film so I can talk about it," whereas a video game podcast is like "Okay, to talk about this new release I need to put in at least 2.5 hours every day before the next recording, and then maybe I can cover the first half of the game." I suspect that's also why they have guests so infrequently now, not wanting to ask people to do a dozen hours of prep for a 90 minute recording.

At least with a video game podcast they can just play it a bit and watch a youtube video to get the gist of it, bad book podcasts are the real time commitment.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Get Played would have worked really great in the old format if they would have just pivoted to covering small projects. Finding a new ~90min game on itch every week and talking about why it's weird seems like a slam dunk. Obviously trying to cover stuff like Yakuza 0 is pretty stupid. I want to say people tune in for the bits, so if they'd cover video games that nobody has ever heard of and a few dozen people have ever played, the format would still work. And that would be the perfect intersection of interesting and weird. Maybe people just want the mainstream slop though, idk

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Drunkboxer posted:

I tried to stick around with Get Played after the format change but I just don’t give a poo poo about new games. I should probably go through and cherry pick some episodes now that theres a backlog though

Yeah this is me. I could listen weekly before, since it was funny even if I had never played or heard of the game. Now it's either a game I'm not interested in and don't want to hear long-form discussion about, or a game I want to play but don't want to be spoiled on. And as was said, if they're not spoiling it, then it's a long talk where they're not really saying anything.

They seem happier, though. And hopefully they get more listeners this way. I'll still check it out if the week's theme sounds interesting (but will usually skip the increasingly long "Whuddaya Playin" segment)

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

MokBa posted:

I love Get Played but its biggest weakness isn't the format change — it's that they rarely have guests anymore. Feels like bringing comedians and writers on to talk about games would be a slam dunk but we pretty much only get Heather, Nick, and Matt. (Obviously the last couple weeks were an exception.)

New Doughboys intro was great.

yeah this is weird to me. Do none of the other comedy LA people play video games?

I understand it's a pain to get someone to play through a game if they don't want to but I'm kind of shocked they haven't been able to get someone like Gabrus on to talk about D&D games or something in the past few years.

They used to get guests. Maybe the guests that they used to have just really hated being on the show somehow?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Talk to the guests about how they feel being on the show, during the show. That's worked out well for them before.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Drunkboxer posted:

I used to listen but meh, Wiger just isn’t as funny as he is on Doughboys, gotta be paired with Mitch for the gold.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I think I've listened to one ep ever, back when it was called How Did This Get Played?. Did they ever talk about biting on How Did This Get Made?'s name?

Edit: VVV haha guess I didn't listen to ep 1, then! I always felt slightly icky with it so it's good to know it was OKed by Scheer.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 6, 2023

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The Narrator posted:

I think I've listened to one ep ever, back when it was called How Did This Get Played?. Did they ever talk about biting on How Did This Get Made?'s name?
They used it with permission, I think Paul Scheer was maybe the first guest?

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They used it with permission, I think Paul Scheer was maybe the first guest?

Yeah, it was directly a type of spin-off so I assume everyone was fine with it

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I mean, they’re both on Earwolf and they all have known each for a very very long time. I’m glad that it got its own identity and changed the name because, as the show eventually figured out, doing a podcast about bad video games is extremely unsustainable.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The non-performative misery and annoyance gave How Did This Get Played a quality that Get Played cannot reproduce.

Unless we get the hosts to eat a heavy, unhealthy meal before hand….

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
an episode where they have to speed run Bubble Bobble and eat a mcnugget after every screen

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MokBa posted:

I mean, they’re both on Earwolf and they all have known each for a very very long time. I’m glad that it got its own identity and changed the name because, as the show eventually figured out, doing a podcast about bad video games is extremely unsustainable.

Abject Suffering has been doing it for 500 episodes on the Duckfeed network but they have enough sense to make that their what’s going on in their lives hangout show. They do sometimes discuss the game but if it’s an obscure UK game from the early 90s and they couldn’t get it to run it’s relaxing to hear stories about plumber mishaps making a toilet explode or a car ramming one of their houses.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 13, 2023

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The Erehwon episode as hilarious.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

soggybagel posted:

The Erehwon episode as hilarious.

I liked how Wiger erasing himself from history means Mitch & Kowalick host Doughboys inside a cardboard box.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Just submitted my audition to be Ad Chad today. Fingers crossed.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
I'd never heard of today's guest, but she was an all-timer! Feels like the show's been on fire lately.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
The blueberry farm story was an all timer and it came out of nowhere.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I liked how their crops immediately failed as they didn’t know what they were doing but they made a profit anyway because BC real estate went up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

That and Mitch saying “Please don’t take this the wrong way, but how do you not look like poo poo?” were very funny

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

mlmp08 posted:

That and Mitch saying “Please don’t take this the wrong way, but how do you not look like poo poo?” were very funny

This before she talked about eating straight butter. Good guest.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Her mom is my hero.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
She was on an episode of Blocked Party and was really good on that. Glad she’s getting some recognition in the US!

Jackson Polack
Feb 13, 2018
“My mums ex husband…. MY DAD” made me laugh so drat hard I paused and went back to watch from the beginning on video

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I fell way behind on the show and have been binging episodes to get current. "Is Christmas a cookie holiday" was, by far, the stupidest debate/bit in this show's long history of deeply stupid debate/bits.

Anybody who uses a third party app to order delivery and a big part of their review is "Doordash messed up my order!!!" should be banned from the show for life. Sorry, Lapkus, I don't care that you've only eaten Chiptole once before(???), you messed up big time, goodbye. (This also, unfortunately, means that Mitch is eternally banned from his own show.)

Susser showing up unannounced/uninvited for the Two Hands episode and being annoyed that there wasn't food for him was like Susser's role on the show, distilled.

The Narrator posted:

The Let Me Be Frank shaggy dog story in Two Hands got me an absolute beauty

Maybe it was because I had just listened to two or three episodes in short order where Mitch admitted to doing the "IT'S FOR A PODCAST" thing, but it was so easy for me to believe Wiger would absentmindedly moan "...I NEED IT FOR THE WIGER CHALLENGE." He got me good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

can't believe they didn’t do Let Me Be Maynk

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

oh god a susser episode

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

AnimeIsTrash posted:

oh god a susser episode

It's legitimately a top-flight episode.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Mitch thinks farmer in the dell and Turkey in the straw are the same song. Wait til Reddit hears

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I rarely eat ice cream and haven't had an ice cream bar on a stick in well over a decade but this ep has me all tuned up for one. I don't even know where to buy a single ice cream novelty but I’m going to find out

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Gas stations and convenience stores.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

oh god a susser episode

wow

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

indigi posted:

I rarely eat ice cream and haven't had an ice cream bar on a stick in well over a decade but this ep has me all tuned up for one. I don't even know where to buy a single ice cream novelty but I’m going to find out

you can buy an ice cream novelty in 78% of stores in the united states! :911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911::911:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

singles though? I went to a 7-11 after work and they only had cones sold in singles everything else was in packs of 4-6. I want one of those Reese's or strawberry shortcake jawns on a stick

E: they had Dipping Dots too but I didn’t want that.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

indigi posted:

singles though? I went to a 7-11 after work and they only had cones sold in singles everything else was in packs of 4-6. I want one of those Reese's or strawberry shortcake jawns on a stick

Maybe you should just hang out around parks and schools until you hear that RZA song

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

indigi posted:

Check your random corner liquor stores. The one next to me has individual good humor bars including the Strawberry Shortcake one

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Love to pop back into this podcast very occasionally. I seemingly always bump into an episode where they've had a fight or allude to a fight and how things are a little better now lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Love to pop back into this podcast very occasionally. I seemingly always bump into an episode where they've had a fight or allude to a fight and how things are a little better now lol

THey're either fighting or telling each other they love each other. It's a thing they do