Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Also, from experience, Archer (Gridania) is thunderously boring in most cases (and its rotation is luck based) and especially early on.

I'd second Ul'Dah, personally. Good classes with good early-game rotations and links the most with the story of ARR imho.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Huh, I have Windows and use a DS4, I wonder how I missed the bug. I had it back during EW release so you would think I'd get hit too.

E: ohhh I do have it in the game options to not use the audio of the ds4, maybe that's it?

E2: The new dungeons bosses are not kind to BLM...

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 28, 2023

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Thanks for all the great answers, everyone. I’ll make something in Ul’Dah.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The new crafted fending body is really good.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cinder Surprise got away and it's going to be more than two loving weeks until it shows up again. :negative:

At least as a consolation prize, I got several concentrated aqueous glioaethers to sell at dramatically inflated prices because the catch conditions for the fish it comes from aren't fully settled yet.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Thundarr posted:

Cinder Surprise got away and it's going to be more than two loving weeks until it shows up again. :negative:

Yeah. I had no luck either today. Egg sucks so bad. There was one period with a 40 day downtime.

Shadowbringers fish just have me kinda jaded in general. I'm all for fish being slippery but the often massive downtimes loving suck. Especially since there's no guarantee they'll show up at a time that is convenient.

Nothing worse than missing a window an the next window is 2 weeks away at 1 am. And then the window after that is another week after at 5am or poo poo like that.

Every fish should show up at least once every 24 hours. I mean there are some slippery loving fish that I still don't have like Xenacanthus, but I can give it a shot every hour.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

The new crafted fending body is really good.

I always appreciate having more GNB glams.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Biodome posted:

Thanks for all the great answers, everyone. I’ll make something in Ul’Dah.

OK, starting in Ul'dah means you get to choose between the following:

Tank: Gladiator (upgrades to Paladin). Uses a Sword and Shield combo. You can even huck your shield to aggro a mob from a distance! Word is, their story is OK, and then gets bad, but the gameplay was good, and now it's even better with the recent rework.

Caster: Thaumaturge (upgrades to Black Mage). Can use 1 handed rods and small shields as a legacy leftover from 1.0. You'll mostly use 2 hand staves. You'll switch between being in Astral Fire and Umbral Ice. You have to manually switch for a while, but at later levels, spells will do it for you. You can tell it was the first Job to have a Job Gauge designed for it, because it gets something new every few levels. It doesn't really detract from the Job, though.

Melee DPS: Pugilist (upgrades to Monk). Punch things. Kick things. Use the most impossible weapons that would hurt you if you tried to use them in real life! You'll eventually get a second Job Guage that requires you to do some specific things to get best results from it, but it really doesn't matter until end game for raiding, so don't feel bad about messing up (you'll mess up).

Regarding the (upgrades to X), at Level 30, you'll get a Job Quest that will send you to a new mentor, and you'll get your Job Stone, which lets you become the upgraded Job and be more powerful. Meanwhile, once you get to Level 10, you'l be given "permission" (i.e. the in-game explaination) to change Classes, so if you find you don't like your starting Class, you can switch.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

More specifically, to unlock jobs, you also have to have advanced the main story up to a certain point in addition to being level 30.

The good news is that they completely did away with the jankiness of classes and just made everything released since ARR start as a job right off the bat.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The crafted set this tier looks great but really not a fan of the tomestone or raid set this time around.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

The tomestone Fending set would have been perfect for a glam project I've been working on for months now if dye only changed the blue parts, but instead it also dyes the gold parts so I remain cursed.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Dyes dying the wrong part will always be my pet peeve. No goddamit I just want to dye the trim you decided to make a color that goes with nothing besides neutrals, not the whole thing except the trim.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Akett posted:

The tomestone Fending set would have been perfect for a glam project I've been working on for months now if dye only changed the blue parts, but instead it also dyes the gold parts so I remain cursed.

The dye system is one of the worst parts of the game that are still apparently tied up in 1.0 spaghetti code. Nothing worse than finding a great piece only to discover that either dye affects parts that make no sense, or dying it anything other than the original color inexplicably causes some parts the dye doesn't directly affect to change to a different color. Often one that clashes with your dye.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Dyes dying the wrong part will always be my pet peeve. No goddamit I just want to dye the trim you decided to make a color that goes with nothing besides neutrals, not the whole thing except the trim.

TBH ever since I learned magic a few years ago I have the power to re-color armor sets just to match blue and it's the strongest QoL skill for glams since so many cute clothes just look terrible due to dyeing strangely for no reason at all.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The crafted set this tier looks great but really not a fan of the tomestone or raid set this time around.

yeah i feel the same way

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The crafted pieces will have some glam value after they're obsolete as gear,.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheWorldsaStage posted:

My kingdom for ESO's dye system in this game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Default gear: subtle interplay of various shades and colors
Dyed gear: Blue. Just blue. All the same blue.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

They've been significantly better about dye characteristics from Shadowbringers onward (for actually new models at least), but anything before that is a crapshoot.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I find it amusing that every new tier of craftables I go in expecting to make a fortune off gear, but it's tinctures and raid food where I slowly accumulate millions upon millions from. v:shobon:v

Helps that it's pretty easy to 16-action macro both of them to just bulk produce in hilarious quantities.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I made an easy million just off of selling raw materials, both gathered and tome/scrip-bought. I collected far too many before realizing that full pentamelded crafted gear is pointless if I'm not planning on doing Savage prog. Just going to stick with a weapon/ring and fill the rest with tome gear.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I price gouged on materials while waiting for the prices on gear to drop then bought the gear

I like to think of it as hiring crafters in the greasiest way possible with added sales tax

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The real solution is to do the legwork and gather your own materials, then have your crafter buddy make the gear for you. They profit off all the spare alkahests and you get to sell all the unused stuff.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

blatman posted:

I price gouged on materials while waiting for the prices on gear to drop then bought the gear

I like to think of it as hiring crafters in the greasiest way possible with added sales tax

I'm at +60M so far this patch from buying materials off the MB and using it to craft and sell Diadochos gear. Thanks for furthering the omnicrafter cause and also the excessive splintering of Eorzea-Alexander the Great's empire I suppose.

E: Of course, 60M is pretty small potatoes. The better/less lazy omnicrafters in PCD are at about twice that I think.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 28, 2023

Lazer Viking
Jul 11, 2008

GBO
Made a solid 6 million just selling tome mats. Liquid glass didnt fall under 20k/ea for two whole day. <3 patch day crafters

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I find it amusing that every new tier of craftables I go in expecting to make a fortune off gear, but it's tinctures and raid food where I slowly accumulate millions upon millions from. v:shobon:v

Helps that it's pretty easy to 16-action macro both of them to just bulk produce in hilarious quantities.

Makes sense, people only need gear once.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

super sweet best pal posted:

Makes sense, people only need gear once.

There's still a lot of gearsets wanted per crafter capable of making them and there is a huge difference in the margins of gear vs consumables. Prices have dropped now, but for a well-chosen diadochos piece I'm still looking at maybe +300k over materials. For food and tinctures that number is maybe +10k, for the same crafting time (depending on intermediate count, if you think crafting intermediates is worth your time). I'd have to bake eggplants for an hour to match the income of making and selling a single hat.

If you want to do repetitive, low-intensity tasks while watching tv or exercising, or are bravely willing to go full bot and run autohotkey while afk, then sure it'll add up. Consumables are very low gil/time and generally poor margins for a crafter though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I want to know when the hell we're getting Gleaner gear for Gatherers. I'll settle for a glam with no stats, I just want to rock that sweetass Erenville look on my Roegadude.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The new gatherer scrip gear is pretty drat close. Dyes really nicely too, dyeing the chest only touches the undershirt and not the jacket itself.

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/gearset/natural-afflatus

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Xerophyte posted:

There's still a lot of gearsets wanted per crafter capable of making them and there is a huge difference in the margins of gear vs consumables. Prices have dropped now, but for a well-chosen diadochos piece I'm still looking at maybe +300k over materials. For food and tinctures that number is maybe +10k, for the same crafting time (depending on intermediate count, if you think crafting intermediates is worth your time). I'd have to bake eggplants for an hour to match the income of making and selling a single hat.

If you want to do repetitive, low-intensity tasks while watching tv or exercising, or are bravely willing to go full bot and run autohotkey while afk, then sure it'll add up. Consumables are very low gil/time and generally poor margins for a crafter though.

Yeah, that's fair, I just find that at the end of the day, consumables move volume and have way less babysitting involved in terms of repeated undercutting.

I made a dozen diadochos pieces and only one of them actually moved for over a million; the rest I ended up using or selling to FC-mates for straight up material cost. Meanwhile, I'm at about five million from eggplant and tinctures.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

There aren't any addons like WoW's MogIt that lets you preview dungeon sets in-game, right?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

There aren't any addons like WoW's MogIt that lets you preview dungeon sets in-game, right?

Item Search is what you're looking for, you have to know the name of the gear you're trying to find but it lets you generate links in the chat window to use in the dressing room.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Regalingualius posted:

Anamnesis is a third party tool that's great for previewing too

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thundarr posted:

At least as a consolation prize, I got several concentrated aqueous glioaethers to sell at dramatically inflated prices because the catch conditions for the fish it comes from aren't fully settled yet.

I would simply get Cinder Surprise in 5 windows or so.

Now, Lancetfish, that's a real test of faith.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I prefer Allagan Tools. It lets you see everything you own (across all charcters and retainers), as well as letting you see everything in the game, and letting you try it on by right-clicking it in the list.

Options are good is what I'm saying.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Bloody Pom posted:

Item Search is what you're looking for, you have to know the name of the gear you're trying to find but it lets you generate links in the chat window to use in the dressing room.

You also have to already own the item in question.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
no not with the plugin

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Oh ok, it's a plugin that uses the same name as the chat function, I feel like that's an easy mistake to make though.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also, from experience, Archer (Gridania) is thunderously boring in most cases (and its rotation is luck based) and especially early on.

ever since they changed songs to proc 80% of the time every three seconds innately instead of 20% of the time per dot early on and 40% per dot after like level 65, bard's proc system is actually functional at low levels nowadays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'll need to do a quick check run at some point if that carries forward to the base Archer class, since I started ("20, kinda stopped for a bit and then went ham following the Endwalker Hype) then.

Still, I wouldn't recommend it for people starting XIV outright, in any case.
Even at its best, a class that randomly procs its B combo skill and, as I mind it, doesn't even have a C Combo Skill, does a lot to confuse a starting player about XIV's gameplay flow.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 29, 2023