Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

This game’s physics rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

The Hylian gear is cheap and in my experience has the most straightforward upgrades, in the sense that you’ll get its upgrade parts without having to go out of your way. If you don’t like the hood, the Hateno village election quest unlocks the ability to lower it while keeping the defense bonus so you can still see Link’s beautiful hair. They should honestly tell you upfront about that, it’s a great reward.

How in the goddamn gently caress do you progress that quest because the citizens of Hateno have been getting ready to vote for about 120 hours of game time now for me.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Do all the sidequests in town, basically.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Frankston posted:

How in the goddamn gently caress do you progress that quest because the citizens of Hateno have been getting ready to vote for about 120 hours of game time now for me.

There are actually 4 or 5 interconnected quests you have to do; give out the mushrooms plus talk to Sophie, Reede, Reede’s daughter, and his wife to get the idea. You do some spying on both Cece and Reede and you help Reede figure out how to make cheese.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7237299242350447918

Been seeing a lot of gimble fans lately

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

There are actually 4 or 5 interconnected quests you have to do; give out the mushrooms plus talk to Sophie, Reede, Reede’s daughter, and his wife to get the idea. You do some spying on both Cece and Reede and you help Reede figure out how to make cheese.

loving hell, I didn't realise I had to go and talk to Reede again.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Every resource you pick up brings you closer to God

build the autobuild apple picker (use 16 apples *4 golden) or the shock emitter mass fishing raft and you'll feel like a resource god

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Inadequately posted:

The sidequest on the Temple of Time where you have to light three fires across the Great Sky Island without touching any ground other than the roof of the Temple was a pretty fun challenge.

I did it with my basic three-fan flying machine and some careful flying, took a little while but it was a generous time limit? Interested to see people racing that quest though.

it somehow never occurred to me to use vehicle building to do this, i did the entire thing with the zora armor, waterfalls, and stamina food.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Driving the band around to all their concerts for the Great Faeries was such a fun quest chain :3:

Doing Laurelin Village now, I wish all the buildings weren't just "drop a tree in the hole" but it's still a better experience than any other "rebuild the town" segment of most games

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

TK-42-1 posted:

my son has like half the fuckin depths mapped out and said ‘what’s that stuff?’ to a wall of zoanite earlier today. i’ve long stopped trying to understand how other people play this game.

My son refuses to spend 10 minutes at a pot making meals to heal up or to make elixirs, he'd rather just freak out and eat all the apples and mushrooms in his inventory every time he nearly dies.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

duodenum posted:

My son refuses to spend 10 minutes at a pot making meals to heal up or to make elixirs, he'd rather just freak out and eat all the apples and mushrooms in his inventory every time he nearly dies.

we gotta teach the kids responsible consumables use

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

duodenum posted:

Your son's a millennial? drat, you must be old.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I do like that the fire temple just lets you completely trivialise it by climbing and gliding everywhere instead of using the minecart tracks.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Pollyanna posted:

I’m already feeling the need to wrap up and do the final quest and I am nowhere near 100% completion. This game is insanely huge.

I beat botw at like 28%, felt like I had a loving wonderful time with many fond memories. I'm sure this'll be much the same.

Had a magic moment last night with the Hyrule lake whirlpool cave.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

kidcoelacanth posted:

it somehow never occurred to me to use vehicle building to do this, i did the entire thing with the zora armor, waterfalls, and stamina food.

I did it with both :eng101:

Because a fanplane won't last getting to and back, and I didn't feel like managing a flying machine that'll start to plummet while I'm busy shooting.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/UltimaShadowX/status/1662836620423319554?s=20

This is from the official artbook wtf

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

The Hylian gear is cheap and in my experience has the most straightforward upgrades, in the sense that you’ll get its upgrade parts without having to go out of your way. If you don’t like the hood, the Hateno village election quest unlocks the ability to lower it while keeping the defense bonus so you can still see Link’s beautiful hair. They should honestly tell you upfront about that, it’s a great reward.

Hold up what, where?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

babadook looking rear end

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Almost 70 hours in and just finished my 2nd temple, Fire one.

Wind temple was fun.

Fire temple was rear end and after 1 hour of riding around mine carts back and forth trying to reach the last terminal I gave up and decided to youtube the solution and turns out I was not doing anything wrong, the hanging bridge was just super finnicky about the angle.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Man, what the gently caress ARE Wizzrobes? I thought they were just, like, normal guys who got really into elemental magic and went insane or something. Are they some Bokoblin subspecies? Are they Hylians but just really mutated and hosed up like Warhammer Chaos wizards? I know they were toucan guys in Wind Waker, but I thought those were just masks or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Water Sage's power just clicked for me. I stuck a Silver Lynel Horn to a Zora Longsword, and found I was pushing 160 damage when wet. Since Sidon's power wets you, he's basically a free weapon buff.

I gotta farm more Zora poo poo.

oh drat that’s a good one.
I’d been using splash fruit to buff my Zora weapons

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

Man, what the gently caress ARE Wizzrobes? I thought they were just, like, normal guys who got really into elemental magic and went insane or something. Are they some Bokoblin subspecies? Are they Hylians but just really mutated and hosed up like Warhammer Chaos wizards? I know they were toucan guys in Wind Waker, but I thought those were just masks or something.

they're monsters. it's left a little ambiguous if monsters are part of hyrule's normal ecology or if they're anomalies formed from concentrated malice, but wizzrobes are definitely among their number

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Oxxidation posted:

they're monsters. it's left a little ambiguous if monsters are part of hyrule's normal ecology or if they're anomalies formed from concentrated malice, but wizzrobes are definitely among their number

I mean, one of the cutscenes shows where they all came from.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
https://twitter.com/STARGAMES_blog/status/1663042985288781824

What the gently caress?! :suspense:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Augus posted:

oh drat that’s a good one.
I’d been using splash fruit to buff my Zora weapons

Zora weapons buffs are kinda crazy. Killed the water temple before it could actually do anything, felt kinda bad for it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Zora and Gerudo weapons are the best types because doubling damage is insane, Zora slightly better since it buffs final damage but requires being wet while Gerudo has no conditions.

As such Mipha and Urbossa's weapons are the best in the game IMO. They have good durability, I killed a Gleeok and didn't break Urbossa's!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The game is a 10/10 in my option, my only complaints that would get it to a 11/10:

Slightly better controls like dedicated whistle button gets the sage abilities added to a menu wheel as you gain them.

Armor value system reworked to a better balance between no upgrades and getting 2 shot by everything or a few upgrades and taking a quarter heart from everything.

Secret stones renamed because they say Secret stone waaaaay too much for me, calling them Spiritual stones was right there and ties into OoT Nintendo!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

drat they really make you work for the wind waker hat. but now its mine

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Zora weapons buffs are kinda crazy. Killed the water temple before it could actually do anything, felt kinda bad for it.

Sidon... I need you to make me wet.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I get the complaints about the controls and menu-ing feeling clunky, but as a primarily ***PC GAMER***, that's kind of how all console games feel to me. I don't know that TOTK feels appreciably worse than, say, Hitman or Yakuza on a controller.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

duodenum posted:

My 6 year old son loves this game but every time I let him play I live in fear of what rare item he’s going to have used or sold for no reason

Frankston posted:

I do like that the fire temple just lets you completely trivialise it by climbing and gliding everywhere instead of using the minecart tracks.

Yeah put me in that bucket too. I could not for the life of me figure out the “right” path but thankfully it doesn’t matter at all and you can just fuckin spider man your way through

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The right path is majestically soaring over the minecart rails on my hoverbike.

I have slipped the surly bonds of earth (until my battery runs out).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lol portable lookout tower

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i slapped a couple rockets on a minecart and rode that bad boy all the way to the temple's top floor, straight vertical

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

I thought the fire temple maps did a pretty reasonable job showing where the tracks go along with elevation changes that indicate when they move up/down a floor. From there you can decide if it's worth using the tracks or some other means. Just stumbling around and trying to memorize where tracks go would be a nightmare.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Rochallor posted:

I get the complaints about the controls and menu-ing feeling clunky, but as a primarily ***PC GAMER***, that's kind of how all console games feel to me. I don't know that TOTK feels appreciably worse than, say, Hitman or Yakuza on a controller.

I'm a PC gamer too and am just as comfortable with controller as KBM, since PCs and Controllers go together like peanut butter and jelly and always have been. PC had controllers before consoles even existed. All that to say that it's fine you have this inability but don't try and put that voodoo on PC gaming.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I feel like I must have done some of the story elements out of the intended sequence because (mid-to-late game spoiler?) I've just got the four sages and had the fight with Phantom Ganon in the castle and everyone is still like "that clearly wasn't the real Zelda we've been seeing but where the heck is the real one??" but I got all the dragon tear memories ages ago and Link knows full well she turned into a dragon and is literally flying above us as we speak but for some reason he's just refusing to tell anyone and leaving them in the dark lmao .

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I spent ages on the broken rail/rocket cart one before looking it up and just discovering that I needed to be extremely precise with it. Instead I just bailed and glided and climbed again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frankston posted:

I feel like I must have done some of the story elements out of the intended sequence because (mid-to-late game spoiler?) I've just got the four sages and had the fight with Phantom Ganon in the castle and everyone is still like "that clearly wasn't the real Zelda we've been seeing but where the heck is the real one??" but I got all the dragon tear memories ages ago and Link knows full well she turned into a dragon and is literally flying above us as we speak but for some reason he's just refusing to tell anyone and leaving them in the dark lmao .

just imagine he's like chell from portal and holds everyone in too much contempt to bother correcting them

except tulin. he likes the kid and wants him to feel like he's being useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
"If you guys wanted to know, you'd actually come along with me instead of just sending your astral projections, you lazy asses."