Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Porfiriato posted:

I think an underappreciated aspect of the rise of wechat etc is the hold it can have on students/recent immigrants overseas. It is THE way to stay in touch with everyone back in China, and being an all-consuming all in one app means it’s so easy to get kept in the mental prison where you’re living in Los Angeles but you’re still getting your news and viewpoints almost entirely from Chinese state media and nationalist garbage back home.

The closest example I can think of would be like Americans emigrating to Europe but still getting their outlook on the world exclusively from an endless stream of racist boomer memes on Facebook and mainlining clips of Newsmax and Trump rallies, never looking at local sources.

The closest thing would be all the goons living overseas but living on 2001-2005 SA :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The C919 was in headlines this morning for its maiden voyage, and of course industrial espionage came up:

quote:

According to a report from cybersecurity firm Crowdstrike and a US Justice Department indictment, from 2010 to 2015 the Chinese cyberthreat actor Turbine Panda, linked to the Ministry of State Security’s Jiangsu Bureau, penetrated a number of the C919's foreign components manufacturers including Ametek, Capstone Turbine, GE Aviation, Honeywell, Safran, and others and stole intellectual property and industrial process data with the aim of transitioning component manufacturing to Chinese companies.[26][27][28][29] The report stated that the operations involved both cyber intrusion and theft as well as HUMINT operations, in most cases using a piece of code custom written for this industrial espionage operation.[26][27][28][29]

As of 2019, four people have been arrested in the US as a result of investigations into this economic espionage and theft of trade secrets.[29]

In November 2022, a federal jury in Cincinnati convicted Yanjun Xu, 42, on counts of conspiracy to commit economic espionage, conspiracy to commit trade secret theft, attempted economic espionage and attempted trade secret theft. The US court found that Xu played a key role in a plot to steal trade secrets from western aerospace firms, for the purpose of helping the C919 commercial airliner program. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison.[30]

As rad as it would be to get your PLA hacking unit nicknamed Turbine Panda, I’m hoping this thing doesn’t have a bunch of 737 MAX moments because someone either stole exactly that control software or chabuduo’d something else.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 28, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Please forgive my ignorance. I haven't lived in China for 5 years or so.

Are these Republican-esque talking points, i.e. "black people and gender is ruining America and causing disharmony unlike XiJinPing thought which is glorious!" coming from old people, rich people, party members etc. or are they coming from normal people as well? Also, are they only coming from Mainland Chinese folk, or HK as well?

Republicans wish they could be as blatant as the government propaganda. the punchline is minorities exist, and their way of thinking isn’t good for unity because it is different. And unity is great so differences are bad. But this isn’t new, this has been standard CCP nonsense for decades at this point.

Precisely how effective this is at scale I couldn’t comment. I haven’t had direct interaction with China for a very long time. This is all from my business partner’s parents. I’m very close with the entire family. But even then, it’s just stories of their social circle when they go home.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
The "anti-woke among students" thing seemed to begin sharply around ~3 months ago.

For the more reasonable ones it's easy enough to defuse with sensible discussion. For the well-known archetype "teenage rear end in a top hat", the most successful argument I've used against it is "OK, so why do you care? If you think the USA is making a mistake with this, just let them."

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Maybe it's just where I am, but two schools where I've heard from different students "my x teacher said Americans do y/dont study z in school" and I'm always thinking "how the gently caress would they know? Your very Chinese teacher who's never left Asia and went to school their whole life in China, how would they have any idea what Americans do or dont learn?"

Obviously that's not (entirely, but teachers do say a lot of bullshit) what's going on here. It just reminded me of that.

I always just say, when it's true (it always is) "I went to a normal public school and we absolutely learned that in detail."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

BrainDance posted:

Maybe it's just where I am, but two schools where I've heard from different students "my x teacher said Americans do y/dont study z in school" and I'm always thinking "how the gently caress would they know? Your very Chinese teacher who's never left Asia and went to school their whole life in China, how would they have any idea what Americans do or dont learn?"
i got some of this a few years back when that same business partner's family came over to the US as they do about once every 5 years, and i got stuck with looking after the 6-8 year old kids for an afternoon while everyone caught up. the kids were passable enough with english that we could have an ok conversation and a few myths like this came up. funniest one was that americans apparently don't study math at all, and that's why they love chinese workers because they study math and are good at math.

i wasn't sure what aspect of that to laugh at first: the magnitude of the lie or the encouragement toward adhering to a racist perception of chinese people.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BrainDance posted:

Obviously that's not (entirely, but teachers do say a lot of bullshit) what's going on here. It just reminded me of that.

I always just say, when it's true (it always is) "I went to a normal public school and we absolutely learned that in detail."

Well, Americans loving love talking about how their ignorance about common things is excusable because american education is exceptionally bad

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

goblin week posted:

Well, Americans loving love talking about how their ignorance about common things is excusable because american education is exceptionally bad

They do?

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

See?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

goblin week posted:

You don’t have to leave SA to find a poo poo load of people who think major world events/stuff science has known for 50+ years are obscure facts because they didn’t pay attention or skipped class to smoke weed in high school.

E: it’s honestly one of the most infuriating parts of SA that makes me grateful for my friends I’ve picked up over the years.

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 29, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You could pretty easily find 50 posts just from this year saying the same thing. I know I've read it in the past few weeks.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

goblin week posted:

Yeah, but like, for example I learned that the Korean war did in fact happen in my history class. My HS history teacher actually covered it a lot. There was no coverup to deny its existence in America.

A good third the country probably doesnt know the difference between it and the Vietnam war but, still, I wouldn't put it higher than half?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I dunno. Its been a long time since I was in school but, the burden was on the students. They taught me well, it was up to me to pay attention and do the work. Seems like people don't try very hard anymore. We only had normal phones not smart phones and my parents were both teachers since I was born so.. perhaps I'm abnormal.

I also took all the advanced placement courses in highschool which helped a lot.

The school is there but you do have to seek it out and apply yourself. They're happy to pass you if your blood is warm... And then yeah you don't learn that much i suppose

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just tell them "I heard Chinese don't learn about Tiananmen Square in school".

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

McGavin posted:

Lol

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I don't think that was every really mentioned in class too be fair. I learned about that because I liked to learn. I dunno. I'm not saying the school system in the US is good, bit it's not terrible or at least it wasn't if you made an effort.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think it’s more a testament how much of your life you can spend in complete ignorance because you won’t even make an attempt to read a news article (not that there’s an abundance of quality journalism anymore), or a book about something you don’t know about than any government coverup or censorship.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012

McGavin posted:

would this be too spicy of a thread title???

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I think it’s more a testament how much of your life you can spend in complete ignorance because you won’t even make an attempt to read a news article (not that there’s an abundance of quality journalism anymore), or a book about something you don’t know about than any government coverup or censorship.

You got to do your on research we saw that turned out

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

McGavin posted:

American high school history books have been stuck at “1980 and Beyond” for the last 30 years or so, it’s hit or miss here :v:

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

NewFatMike posted:

American high school history books have been stuck at “1980 and Beyond” for the last 30 years or so, it’s hit or miss here :v:

Didn't you get the memo? History ended.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

goblin week posted:

It's more poignant when said person also has a smartphone and Google is -right there-.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Coolguye posted:

funniest one was that americans apparently don't study math at all, and that's why they love chinese workers because they study math and are good at math.

I work in stats and it's about a 20 to 1 ratio of immigrant vs non-immigrant candidates.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
I am not an American high school student, so I cannot comment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

NewFatMike posted:

Pacing history surveys is a nightmare. I mocked that back in school, then I had to teach American history and we also got to the Vietnam War right at the end of the semester and I tried to jam in a real fast overview of the past 40 years into a single class. Happened the next time I taught the class too. And my class was paced nothing like a typical US survey, I insisted on being able to do what I wanted if I was being forced to teach American history so we did pre-Columbian stuff for half the semester. But somehow hit exactly the same "oh poo poo out of time" moment that I remember from school.

And yeah the "you don't learn that in school!!!" people are almost always idiots. You didn't learn that because you didn't pay attention and/or didn't do the assigned reading. I absolutely loving guarantee your history classes talked about the Japanese interment camps or whatever you're claiming They are hiding from you.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Grand Fromage posted:

I absolutely loving guarantee your history classes talked about the Japanese interment camps or whatever you're claiming They are hiding from you.

We didn't learn about Japanese internment camps but They weren't hiding anything from us, our teacher was just a checked-out burnout and we watched historically-adjacent Mel Gibson movies in all of our classes. And if we wanted to learn about it from the textbook, well it was 2002 but the book had been printed and purchased in the 1950s. thanks State Budget

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I remember my social studies teacher swearing up and down that the evil americans nuked Hiroshima and Nagasaki 'Just to test the bombs' and I got detention for asking 'Wasn't that the Manhattan Project'?

Thanks, Civ 2.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Well, to play devil's advocate to someone who is very wrong, Trinity did not have any human test subjects.

But the bombs were dropped because they were bombs, and bombing Japan is what the Americans were doing.
The nature of the weapons being able to compress all the horror of capital w War into a single moment, an item, a decision - a single point - is what changed the world.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a sword can do that, the difference is that quantity of boom had a quality of its own

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a sword can do that, the difference is that quantity of boom had a quality of its own

You knew what I thought. A sword creates a tragedy, a war creates a wasteland

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 29, 2023

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
You could compare it to the social media we have here that moulds human behavior through the mechanics of being rewarded with likes by the mob.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Pacing history surveys is a nightmare. I mocked that back in school, then I had to teach American history and we also got to the Vietnam War right at the end of the semester and I tried to jam in a real fast overview of the past 40 years into a single class. Happened the next time I taught the class too. And my class was paced nothing like a typical US survey, I insisted on being able to do what I wanted if I was being forced to teach American history so we did pre-Columbian stuff for half the semester. But somehow hit exactly the same "oh poo poo out of time" moment that I remember from school.

And yeah the "you don't learn that in school!!!" people are almost always idiots. You didn't learn that because you didn't pay attention and/or didn't do the assigned reading. I absolutely loving guarantee your history classes talked about the Japanese interment camps or whatever you're claiming They are hiding from you.

When I was taking a community college level American History post WW1 or so class back in the day, the teacher asked (paraphrasing, no nitpicks from anyone please) what the first American offensive action was in WW2 I said the invasion of North Africa, and then she asked me what came next and I said Sicily and she goes "D-day". I know what she was doing but it always makes me laugh a little.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Well, to play devil's advocate to someone who is very wrong, Trinity did not have any human test subjects.

But the bombs were dropped because they were bombs, and bombing Japan is what the Americans were doing.
The nature of the weapons being able to compress all the horror of capital w War into a single moment, an item, a decision - a single point - is what changed the world.

the a-bombings of hiroshima and nagasaki were definitely atrocities. as were the firebombings of other japanese cities and dresden. but both sides of a war commit atrocities. war itself is an atrocity. i do think they would have never dropped a-bombs on germany and one of the reasons for that is a really gross one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrainDance posted:

Yeah, but like, for example I learned that the Korean war did in fact happen in my history class. My HS history teacher actually covered it a lot. There was no coverup to deny its existence in America.

A good third the country probably doesnt know the difference between it and the Vietnam war but, still, I wouldn't put it higher than half?

All you have to say is "It's the war that was on M*A*S*H".

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

the a-bombings of hiroshima and nagasaki were definitely atrocities. as were the firebombings of other japanese cities and dresden. but both sides of a war commit atrocities. war itself is an atrocity. i do think they would have never dropped a-bombs on germany and one of the reasons for that is a really gross one.

... Wasn't Germany defeated and surrendered months before the atomic bomb was even successfully tested for the first time? That would seem to be a pretty obvious 'why'.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If there's one conversation that needs a blanket ban on on SA it's the loving Bomb discussion.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Kchama posted:

... Wasn't Germany defeated and surrendered months before the atomic bomb was even successfully tested for the first time? That would seem to be a pretty obvious 'why'.

sure. but let's say the bombs were ready in March of '45 or the war in Europe is still going strong in July/August. they weren't getting dropped on Germany.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they turned dresden into a moonscape, they would have absolutely considered and prolly done it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kchama posted:

yes it was.

but us command already had the shortlist of targets by the end of april - all japanese cities chosen either for their military targets or, like kyoto, chosen simply because it was a major population centre and the educated populace would be more likely to "appreciate the significance" of having their loving faces melted off.
the us decided to drop the bombs on japan before there were even bombs to drop. before hitler even killed himself, it was japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they turned dresden into a moonscape, they would have absolutely considered and prolly done it

okay, caveat: churchill would have absolutely nuked germany