Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Giraffe posted:

Our cat seems unimpressed by the imposter.

If I was two pillow rich I'd get two different pillows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Guitar part

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Pondex posted:

Guitar part

does that like, prevent a guitar from doing tremolo? (just guessing based on the name)

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

JPrime posted:

does that like, prevent a guitar from doing tremolo? (just guessing based on the name)

Close. It prevents you from doing vibrato on it. But people keep calling the vibrato-arm the tremolo-arm, so here we are.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pondex posted:

Guitar part

Man, I was guessing bike part, or bike repair part. I thought those little metal squares were, like, balancing weights for a bike wheel and it was some sort of fancy bicycle wheel balancing kit and I spent more time that I'd like to admit trying to figure out how it would work, then read the spoiler and felt dumb.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Don’t lie to us OP, that’s a weird sex thing isn’t it?

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Warbird posted:

Don’t lie to us OP, that’s a weird sex thing isn’t it?

Robot girlfriend parts :ssh:

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Just got the last parts I needed to do a new desktop build. Haven't built a new PC in like 7 or 8 years. Hopefully won't have to for another 7 or 8. AMD Ryzen 7 7700, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 (apparently the internet says its bad? I don't know, guess I'll find out) and 6 TB of SSD storage. Gonna put this all together tomorrow and hope I didn't gently caress anything up with part selection.

Not pictured is a mini-ITX motherboard and and a tiny case so I can rehouse my current setup and us it as an HTPC in my tv room

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I find it weird that I make a billion percent more money than I did when I built a PC 15 years ago and it still seems less affordable to do it now. I envy you, that's fun.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Got my knives professionally sharpened. poo poo’s sharp, yo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Warbird posted:

Got my knives professionally sharpened. poo poo’s sharp, yo.

Watch your fingats.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s why I had them sharpened. Dull knives are way more dangerous than sharp ones.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Just got the last parts I needed to do a new desktop build. Haven't built a new PC in like 7 or 8 years. Hopefully won't have to for another 7 or 8. AMD Ryzen 7 7700, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 (apparently the internet says its bad? I don't know, guess I'll find out) and 6 TB of SSD storage. Gonna put this all together tomorrow and hope I didn't gently caress anything up with part selection.

Not pictured is a mini-ITX motherboard and and a tiny case so I can rehouse my current setup and us it as an HTPC in my tv room
The 4070 is a fine 1440p card, just slightly overpriced but then again all GPUs are overpriced this generation.

The SSD setup is a little confusing and I personally would have gone for a Peerless Assassin air cooler, but the core components should last you that 7-8 years with just a GPI upgrade along the way.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Make sure you update the firmware on the 980 pros - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-980-pro-ssd-failures-firmware-update. Wouldn't surprise me if current stock is still running the buggy firmware that triggers read-only mode early.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Warbird posted:

That’s why I had them sharpened. Dull knives are way more dangerous than sharp ones.

I got into straight razors a few years ago and honing and stones is an entire world of acquisition syndrome of its own

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Made in Taiwan, Harmony-branded Strat copy in Calf-poo poo Tan. There is a green tint that doesn't photograph well.

1970 Fender F-1000 parlor-size acoustic that is just a rebranded Harmony Stella made in Chicago.

And some art that I am in love with

ShopGoodwill holds unbelievable treasures.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Glottis posted:

I find it weird that I make a billion percent more money than I did when I built a PC 15 years ago and it still seems less affordable to do it now. I envy you, that's fun.

Hobbiest PC building is stupid expensive and I really should have just bought a prebuilt but I'm dumb as poo poo and hate money

Josh Lyman posted:

The 4070 is a fine 1440p card, just slightly overpriced but then again all GPUs are overpriced this generation.

The SSD setup is a little confusing and I personally would have gone for a Peerless Assassin air cooler, but the core components should last you that 7-8 years with just a GPI upgrade along the way.

Well, I have other SSDs I'm moving from my current system and I wanted to max out the M.2 slots while I had the thing open. I have an AIO in my current build that I like a lot, its super quiet, and that will go in the HTPC. I've seen some comparisons since I ordered the parts that air coolers are a bit better but, eh, I got what I got.

ephphatha posted:

Make sure you update the firmware on the 980 pros - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsung-980-pro-ssd-failures-firmware-update. Wouldn't surprise me if current stock is still running the buggy firmware that triggers read-only mode early.

Oh poo poo, good to know! I had not seen that before

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I got into straight razors a few years ago and honing and stones is an entire world of acquisition syndrome of its own

My friend does traditional wood joinery and people would not believe how much sharpening stones can cost. Finishing stones can run to thousands of dollars

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My friend does traditional wood joinery and people would not believe how much sharpening stones can cost. Finishing stones can run to thousands of dollars

Just use the curb, SMHD.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

I have a stone already but these were pretty far gone so o figured I’d let someone that knew what they were doing get them to a good place. Wide put a couple of them in the dishwasher a few times so I don’t need to tell you what sort of state they were in. I aim to use the high grit stone to hopefully keep them going longer.

Welsh Rarebitch
Jun 5, 2011

Just got the last parts I needed to do a new desktop build.

I'd like to hear your opinion on the noise of the Asus 4070 Dual card using the quiet BIOS. Is it silent under load?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Welsh Rarebitch posted:

I'd like to hear your opinion on the noise of the Asus 4070 Dual card using the quiet BIOS. Is it silent under load?

So far, it seems to be really quiet. I haven't had an opportunity to really stress test it but I ran Doom 2016 and Metro Exodus at 4k Ultra for a bit last night after I got the whole thing put together. I actually put my hand on the fans to make sure they were spinning. Grain of salt though, since my whole system is a bit louder than it used to be for some reason and that might be masking GPU noise. I had to use a different cooler than the one I had pictured since it turns out my ATX case can't house a 280 AIO (but my mini-ITX case can? :psyduck:).

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Things I've bought while on holiday so far:
Some records

The copy of Tales From Topographic Oceans is especially clean and nice. They sure do look after their possessions in Japan.

A couple of hundred negatives from the 1950s that I will digitise and archive when I get home

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Felt I deserved a nicer kayak after paddling the same cheapo kayak for over a decade.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Casu Marzu posted:

Felt I deserved a nicer kayak after paddling the same cheapo kayak for over a decade.

Grats! I did the same thing and upgraded my kayak a few years ago, and I still can't believe how much better the whole paddling experience is now. Still on the fence about upgrading my paddle from fiberglass to carbon fiber, but can't bring myself to click buy button

You have any neat paddling trips or destinations planned?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Didn't directly pay for this, but bought my folks lunch and dad brought me a bin of stuff he dumpster dove and told me to take what I want.

N64, two controllers, Madden 2000, Goldeneye, and Duke Nukem. Pretty sure I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Last day in Japan and I got a bunch of records and some camera gear. A 58mm f/1.4 for my 35mm camera and a Minolta A for repair.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Megabound posted:

Last day in Japan and I got a bunch of records and some camera gear. A 58mm f/1.4 for my 35mm camera and a Minolta A for repair.

What do you use a 58mm for? A 50mm with a bit tighter framing?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Amingus

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pondex posted:

What do you use a 58mm for? A 50mm with a bit tighter framing?

Yeah, gives you a little more reach without looking telephoto but also this particular lens is well regarded for it's rendering and sharpness.

I actually don't own a straight 50. My usual walk around is a 45mm f/2

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

In 1981 my dad took a trip to China and stopped in Tokyo on the way there. He brought me back the cassette version of Make Up City... same cover art!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

In 1981 my dad took a trip to China and stopped in Tokyo on the way there. He brought me back the cassette version of Make Up City... same cover art!

The Japanese were ahead of their time in goatse imaging technology.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The Japanese were ahead of their time in goatse imaging technology.

Wtf it even has the ring

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

My iPhone XR was on its last legs so I upgraded to a 1TB iPhone 14 Pro.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

He has good taste, great album

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Android Apocalypse posted:

My iPhone XR was on its last legs so I upgraded to a 1TB iPhone 14 Pro.

I wish the purple stood out more on these.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah it's only noticeable when viewed at an angle.

Color doesn't matter too much to me anyway when my case eventually comes in.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The camera lenses stick out the back of the iphone 14 pro like that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mystes posted:

The camera lenses stick out the back of the iphone 14 pro like that?

They protrude proudly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

That seems a little bit indecent and/or unwieldy