Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of Franky throwing it. Taskmaster is fundamentally people doing silly, pointless things and it only works because it's treated with a certain level of seriousness. Franky is right on the edge of crossing the line in a way that something like Jo Brand's apathy to any exertion didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Frankie feels to me like if you took all the competitiveness out of Dara from last season and left just like a deflated dad behind

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've found him very funny, especially alongside Ivo. It would've been strange to see him take it seriously.

life of lemons
Sep 7, 2005

I steal stuff all the time.

neongrey posted:

Frankie feels to me like if you took all the competitiveness out of Dara from last season and left just like a deflated dad behind

He was having a great time with the paint this episode

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Anyone seriously think that Mae is going to lose with a 7 point lead?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
That 15 point swing in an earlier episode has really solidified that fact. I like Mae more than most in the thread, but winning one task should never give so many points.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I don't think that needs spoiling really. Given it's an episode that aired and such.

I think the closest competitor being on the same team as them probably has really helped because it's limited the amount of catching up they can do in a few key tasks. I could see it though if they have an absolute disaster of an episode for the finale.

Is this the first series in awhile where they haven't done any sort of "only one contestant has to do this task" thing? So far at least, could be in the finale of course. Or maybe they did it and it didn't result in anything amazing so they haven't shown it.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

RickRogers posted:

Anyone seriously think that Mae is going to lose with a 7 point lead?

It’s extremely possible.

We’ve got 5 tasks left probably (prize, live, and 3 recorded). Mae is historically bad at prize tasks, and it feels like Kiell has really stepped them up.

It also feels like they stacked the tasks where Kiell looked like the incompetent one who couldn’t do poo poo at the beginning of the season, but he’s won the last 3 episodes. Kiell could easily get a 3 point swing on the prize task. Then he just needs to score one point ahead on the rest. And it feels like we’ve been so heavy this season on talent tasks, that we’re bound to have a creative task heavy finale, where I think Kiell could handily beat Mae.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Franky throwing it. Taskmaster is fundamentally people doing silly, pointless things and it only works because it's treated with a certain level of seriousness. Franky is right on the edge of crossing the line in a way that something like Jo Brand's apathy to any exertion didn't.

I disagree. I feel like Frankie takes nearly all the tasks extremely seriously, he just doesn’t take winning seriously. I can’t think of any other task he hasn’t actually tried in, and not winning so he didn’t have to do the prize celebration is hilarious.

Look at the hole punch task from this EP. Frankie was the only one who genuinely employed a smart strategy to ignore Alex.

neongrey posted:

Hyper-Competitive, competent old dad /= funny

Grumpy old dad who still does reasonably well but looks like they could be assed to be there = extremely funny

Plus, Frankie has the best studio banter out of any contestant ever on this show. Dara’s was pretty terrible.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Hold on to your pens around Kiyel

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s extremely possible.

We’ve got 5 tasks left probably (prize, live, and 3 recorded). Mae is historically bad at prize tasks, and it feels like Kiell has really stepped them up.

It also feels like they stacked the tasks where Kiell looked like the incompetent one who couldn’t do poo poo at the beginning of the season, but he’s won the last 3 episodes. Kiell could easily get a 3 point swing on the prize task. Then he just needs to score one point ahead on the rest. And it feels like we’ve been so heavy this season on talent tasks, that we’re bound to have a creative task heavy finale, where I think Kiell could handily beat Mae.

Putting it the other way though, Kiell has to win the prize task (OR Mae has to get DQ'ed on a task) AND beat Mae by one or two points on every task. It's possible, sure, but going into the final episode 7 points ahead is one of the most comfortable positions you can be in. (originally I ended with a "while not being Liza Tarbuck", but I looked it up and after what seemed like a runaway victory she actually only won by 6 points)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The most Mae has lost an episode by so far is 5 so the final episode would require them to lose by the highest margin yet. It's only 9 data points so it's not hugely significant, but it still makes me think the likelihood is not great.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I did not know people were so concerned about point scores on Taskmaster, a show with the rigidity of Whose Line is it Anyway.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Just started season six, Alice opening up with her own blood was a strong start. My imaginary money is on her.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

reality_groove posted:

I did not know people were so concerned about point scores on Taskmaster, a show with the rigidity of Whose Line is it Anyway.

It's ultimately unnecessary for the show to work, but I like not knowing who's going to win. It adds a little extra bit of excitement.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing is that while the points don't ultimately matter because it's not like they're actually competing for something meaningful, the competition still needs to be there for the show to work. Like you have a lot of other game show-ish panel shows where they also keep score but it really doesn't matter (I've never seen anyone get genuinely competitive on Would I Lie to You? for example), but part of the fun of Taskmaster is that they do generally care about winning at least a little bit. It's one of the reasons why Alex has said that despite it being requested a lot by fans he doesn't really want to do a "champion of losers" series, because he wants people to genuinely try to win on the show and getting to come back and do it again is the closest thing to a real prize they actually have.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

In one episode, we went from "Mae's got this" to "Wait a minute, it's a longshot but Kiell could win."

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Judi Love isn't out of the running yet. Here's why.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Rochallor posted:

Putting it the other way though, Kiell has to win the prize task (OR Mae has to get DQ'ed on a task) AND beat Mae by one or two points on every task.
Surely this gets hosed on the head if there are any team tasks still to show, though?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Some Strange Flea posted:

Surely this gets hosed on the head if there are any team tasks still to show, though?

I fully expect one last team task, but anything could happen with the other four. We don't know what's remaining and how well both of them did.

I'd love it if it came down to the final Live Task, but if nothing else this week's episode shook up the status quo.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
What you forget is that the winner will be on CoC. The stakes can't be higher.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Well so far we've got Sarah Kendall, Morgana Robinson, Sophie Duker, and Dara O'brien. Sarah and Dara were both criticized by some as being pretty boringly straightforward in their tasks so adding Mae to that crew doesn't seem the best. I guess it's kinda the risk you run in CoC to just gather a bunch of boringly competent people, but the previous ones weren't as bad in this respect.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Next bunch of NZ contestants have been announced

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300890644/taskmaster-nzs-upcoming-cast-includes-dai-henwood-and-melanie-bracewell

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
big fan of ray, who previously appeared as josh's double

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
All of them were in Guy Montgomery's Spelling Bee.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, that'll be an excellent cast.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Mel Bracewell is a funny dork, she’s going to be great on TM.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Is this the first series in awhile where they haven't done any sort of "only one contestant has to do this task" thing? So far at least, could be in the finale of course. Or maybe they did it and it didn't result in anything amazing so they haven't shown it.

I thought this was going to be Kiell in the hole punch task, was honestly surprised to find it also applied to the others.

Snowy posted:

Just started season six, Alice opening up with her own blood was a strong start. My imaginary money is on her.

She peaked very early.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Alex was offscreen for the hole punch task, wonder if he wore something eye catching or question invoking.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the thing is that while the points don't ultimately matter because it's not like they're actually competing for something meaningful, the competition still needs to be there for the show to work. Like you have a lot of other game show-ish panel shows where they also keep score but it really doesn't matter (I've never seen anyone get genuinely competitive on Would I Lie to You? for example), but part of the fun of Taskmaster is that they do generally care about winning at least a little bit. It's one of the reasons why Alex has said that despite it being requested a lot by fans he doesn't really want to do a "champion of losers" series, because he wants people to genuinely try to win on the show and getting to come back and do it again is the closest thing to a real prize they actually have.

According to Sally Phillips on the latest episode of the podcast, going into her series, they had just announced Champion of Champions and all of them would have really preferred not to be in that, so there was a strong disincentive to skillful play.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

El Fideo posted:

According to Sally Phillips on the latest episode of the podcast, going into her series, they had just announced Champion of Champions and all of them would have really preferred not to be in that, so there was a strong disincentive to skillful play.

That would kinda be of a lovely thing to write into a contract. Reserve your schedule for the next 2 months to film the series (:yeah:), but also don't book anything for a 2 weeks half a year later because "maybe" we'll need you for something else (:smith:).

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I just started listening to Ed's podcast and it sounds like CoC only takes a couple of days to film

They mentioned that Josh Widdicombe did all his CoC in a single day (and that was for when it was two eps) so its not really that much of an extra commitment

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The way I imagine it is that even if filming is actually just 1 day for the tasks and 1 day for the studio, surely there must be a few more days that you have to block off before scheduling is finalized.

Though that's wrong or maybe standard for most panel show gigs. I don't know that world.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

They also had the situation where there was no time to react to CoC being a thing for S5. At least S1-4 had some time off to reminisce about their experience, and everything from S6 on knows it's a thing.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Point being, though, series 5 is a loving amazing one, so people wanting to win clearly isn't that big a factor in the show's quality.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
The episode where Alice surprises Alex with his PIN inside an egg is on at the moment. It’s a fun task.

How many times has Alex’s wife collaborated against him with a contestant? I know there have been other occasions but can’t remember them.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013
I seriously doubt that Mark and Aisling were trying not to win.

Sally and Bob, sure.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Creature posted:

The episode where Alice surprises Alex with his PIN inside an egg is on at the moment. It’s a fun task.

How many times has Alex’s wife collaborated against him with a contestant? I know there have been other occasions but can’t remember them.

She's been an accomplice with Mae a few times in the current series.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Nish Kumar was trying so hard to win

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
was he?

seems like he was playing the bad guy. but he's not a bad guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

nish wanted everyone to win