Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
https://www.economist.com/frequently-asked-questions

oh my god

quote:

Author anonymity

Most newspapers and magazines use bylines to identify the journalists who write their articles. The Economist, however, does not. Its articles lack bylines and its journalists remain anonymous. Why?

Part of the answer is that The Economist is maintaining a historical tradition that other publications have abandoned. Leaders are often unsigned in newspapers, but everywhere else there has been rampant byline inflation (to the extent that some papers run picture bylines on ordinary news stories). Historically, many publications printed articles without bylines or under pseudonyms to give individual writers the freedom to assume different voices and to enable early newspapers to give the impression that their editorial teams were larger than they really were. The first few issues of The Economist were, in fact, written almost entirely by James Wilson, the founding editor, though he wrote in the first-person plural.

But having started off as a way for one person to give the impression of being many, anonymity has since come to serve the opposite function at The Economist: it allows many writers to speak with a collective voice. Leaders are discussed and debated each week in meetings that are open to all members of the editorial staff. Journalists often co-operate on articles. And some articles are heavily edited. Accordingly, articles are often the work of The Economist’s hive mind, rather than of a single author. The main reason for anonymity, however, is a belief that what is written is more important than who writes it. In the words of Geoffrey Crowther, our editor from 1938 to 1956, anonymity keeps the editor “not the master but the servant of something far greater than himself…it gives to the paper an astonishing momentum of thought and principle.” The notable exception to The Economist’s no-byline rule, at least in the weekly issue, is special reports, the collections of articles on a single topic that appear in the newspaper every month or so. These are almost always written by a single author whose name appears once, in the rubric of the opening article. By tradition, retiring editors write a valedictory editorial which is also signed. But print articles are otherwise anonymous.

Different rules apply in the digital realm. We identify our journalists when they appear in our audio and video output. And many of them tweet under their own names. The internet has caused our no-byline policy to fray a little around the edges, but the lack of bylines remains central to our identity and a distinctive part of our brand.

Unnamed sources

We make use of unnamed sources and conversations on background because they can be more informative. We may withhold the name of a source who talks to us on the record, if that individual might be put in danger or legal jeopardy if their name is revealed or if we deem it otherwise unnecessary to name them. We strive to describe unnamed sources with as much detail as we think readers need to assess their credibility.

the entire faq has too much funny poo poo in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Maya Fey posted:

The sex workers feel like they are part of the war effort and indeed consider themselves a division of sorts - although one that brings joy.

*Peter Hook randomly starts playing in the background*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

https://www.economist.com/frequently-asked-questions

oh my god

the entire faq has too much funny poo poo in it
lmao at byline inflation

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Economist never does bylines as a deliberate choice

it would be awkward to have to explain why the writers all come from the same small virginia town

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

i say swears online posted:

it's to ensure the magazine speaks ideologically as one voice instead of developing personalities. the economist is an ideological project and has been since the beginning

it's to ensure that the publication has an air of authority to it as the reader can imagine some tweed-clad oxford professor writing the articles instead of some pasty failchild who's doing their gentleman's third at lse

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

lmao at byline inflation

yeah there are so many terms in here i thought were just made as jokes. they actually write radical center (centre, technically). also respect for

quote:

The first few issues of The Economist were, in fact, written almost entirely by James Wilson, the founding editor, though he wrote in the first-person plural.

no actual beef with that kind of shenanigans. i just didn't realize that was the case for the economist. not like it matters too much anyway. any current well respected western media that does have bylines is in the same state

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
also im pretty sure the worst economist articles can't really touch the middling academic economist papers in terms of ideological bullshit and dead-eyed evil. you can probably find a few on sex work but with some poorly understood econometric 'analysis' tacked on

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
You could totally train an ai to knock out most Economist articles: I doubt many people would notice any difference.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cuttlefush posted:

also im pretty sure the worst economist articles can't really touch the middling academic economist papers in terms of ideological bullshit and dead-eyed evil

I guess? they're just simpler since many articles are only 300 words or w/e. "malaysia wrecked by a tsunami? maybe freer markets and tariff reductions would help with that"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I guess? they're just simpler since many articles are only 300 words or w/e. "malaysia wrecked by a tsunami? maybe freer markets and tariff reductions would help with that"

"china is sending relief workers and millions in tsunami aid, here's why thats bad"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Accordingly, articles are often the work of The Economist’s hive mind

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

speng31b posted:

Accordingly, articles are often the work of The Economist’s hive mind

the Overmilque

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
well, paywall bypasses for the economist still work and boy that article was a little more candid than i expected

https://web.archive.org/web/2023051...omantic-capital posted:

There is a lively market for commercial love, too. Two brothels have opened since the fighting began last year. One, tucked away in the city’s industrial district, operates under the close watch of the army. On May 14th four soldiers waited in a queue outside the building. The madam was initially reluctant to admit them all—one was obviously drunk—but eventually did. This reporter was invited to sign up for a 4,000-hryvnia slot on the next day. Business is obviously thriving. “Now is not the time to tackle morality,” says a military official. “The only thing we are concerned about is that the soldiers don’t say things they shouldn’t, and the girls don’t pass on things to the enemy.”

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Has Ukraine ever bothered to explain how the nazi units were denazified (a notoriously difficult thing to do)?

Like they don't even try to dress it up in some token effort for the media (how they implemented some new army code of conduct that would reprimand nazis, or spent a few million dollars on training sessions where people had to watch power points about how nazis were bad) - if they had we would never stop hearing about those efforts. Instead it is just repeated over and over (like in the ponomarenko article) that they simply solved the problem and made all the nazis go away between 2014 and 2022 somehow.

They solved the problem by having the west say "they are good".

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I really love the use of "sex workers" here. The NYT recently published an article about women being forced into prostitution by the government for American GIs in Korea, and they also kept on referring to these women as sex workers. Like any of these women had consent in what they were doing.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
at some point someone will find out how to combine sex worker with war fighter and incorporate them into the battlespace without having to resort to one of the ww2 era euphemisms

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

stephenthinkpad posted:

Do sex workers get subsidy vouchers from lethal aid or the non-lethal aid?

it's an internship OP

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
“We are here to lift our wonderful boys’ spirits” - a slave

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cuttlefush posted:

also im pretty sure the worst economist articles can't really touch the middling academic economist papers in terms of ideological bullshit and dead-eyed evil. you can probably find a few on sex work but with some poorly understood econometric 'analysis' tacked on

idk man reading snippets of that ukraine "sex worker" article was absolutely infuriating. didn't i think i could be surprised anymore but goddamn

crepeface has issued a correction as of 16:17 on May 29, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not sure where to post this but HBO made a movie about Reality Winner that releases today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_(2023_film)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

not sure where to post this but HBO made a movie about Reality Winner that releases today

who cares

speng31b
May 8, 2010

yes, slavawashing human trafficking is about as gross as it gets

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
lol at multiple articles with this take

https://twitter.com/MSN/status/1663201242443833348?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I really love the use of "sex workers" here. The NYT recently published an article about women being forced into prostitution by the government for American GIs in Korea, and they also kept on referring to these women as sex workers. Like any of these women had consent in what they were doing.

Christ. My heart sank at the possibility that in 30 years we'll find out these sex workers are Roma and Russian women who were suspected of being Saboteurs or something. Hopefully not, I mean, Ukraine was already exporting young women to the EU to act as sex workers, but.. none of this is good.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

at some point someone will find out how to combine sex worker with war fighter and incorporate them into the battlespace without having to resort to one of the ww2 era euphemisms

maybe after malazan book of the fallen gets translated to ukrainian

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

but she had a funny name

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cuttlefush posted:

F22 RealDoll with an implanted cellphone that dials a pay per minute sex chat line.

Or maybe just stick chatGPT with a speaker inside.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Glenn's right

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

economist.com
Do you think commercial love can bloom even on a battlefield?
This reporter thinks: Yeah. I do. I think at any time, any place, people can fall in love with each other. 4,000-hryvnia slot on the next day.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
if you sign up for the economist newletter you get a 2 for 1 war and sex tourism coupon

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Isizzlehorn posted:

4,000-hryvnia slot

text me

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

One of the things I remember from early on the war was some Russian kid being barred from competing in an international chess tournament, 'cos she refused to endorse a statement condemning Russia or something.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Good thing Ukraine solved their whole billion dollar industry of "forced sex slavery of women and children" just before the war started.

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/203275.pdf

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

kojima

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

the economist doing a sex tourism AND a war tourism, maybe a little poverty tourism as a trifecta

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pistol_Pete posted:

One of the things I remember from early on the war was some Russian kid being barred from competing in an international chess tournament, 'cos she refused to endorse a statement condemning Russia or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimbledon_ban_on_Russian_and_Belarusian_players

I should add that some of the top ranking players are Russian/Belarusian.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Al! posted:

the economist doing a sex tourism AND a war tourism, maybe a little poverty tourism as a trifecta

the foreign journalist was just supporting artisans and small business owners

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

spacetoaster posted:

Good thing Ukraine solved their whole billion dollar industry of "forced sex slavery of women and children" just before the war started.

https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/203275.pdf

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimbledon_ban_on_Russian_and_Belarusian_players

I should add that some of the top ranking players are Russian/Belarusian.

Funny part of the Wimbledon ban was them losing their player's tour points for specifically banning nationals, thus making them worthless other than the prestige of saying you won a Wimbledon tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

economist journalist wearing a "I support single moms" t-shirt everyday while in Ukraine